Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon May 28th, 2018, 03:30 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu February 1st, 2018, 08:15 GMT 

More rare Bob Dylan clips to be screened at Asbury Park Music and Film Festival

By: JAY LUSTIG

https://www.njarts.net/film/rare-bob-dylan-clips-screened-asbury-park-music-film-festival/

PostPosted: Thu February 1st, 2018, 12:33 GMT 

I do wish i could attend these, seen some footage from the first one, not sure if theres anything existing from the 2nd year. I hope someone who attends has "special sunglasses". :lol:

PostPosted: Thu February 1st, 2018, 15:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

Maybe this year I’ll make it

PostPosted: Fri February 2nd, 2018, 03:45 GMT 

I might be able to attend, I'm hoping that I can. Does anyone have an idea of what they might show based on the last two Archive outings? I would've loved to have seen that '76 Tangled Up in Blue footage. I'm thinking they might show some of that Infidels studio footage.

PostPosted: Mon February 5th, 2018, 15:08 GMT 

Or some of that New Morning sessions studio film. Reading through the past 2 years showings i notice there isnt alot thats been shown that isnt already out there in one way or another.

PostPosted: Mon February 5th, 2018, 20:42 GMT 

Dylan Archives I (2016)

“Man Of Constant Sorrow” and “Girl From The North Country.” Television performances from 1963 and 1964, respectively.

“Chimes Of Freedom.” On which Dylan seems particularly delighted, from the 1964 Newport Folk Festival.

“Maggie’s Farm.” Hard-driving and electric, with Mike Bloomfield on lead guitar, from the 1965 Newport Folk Festival.

“Tombstone Blues.” An acoustic performance from an afternoon workshop of the 1965 Newport Folk Festival. The song was still unfinished at that point – Dylan didn’t have a chorus yet – and so he just sang the verses.

“Ballad Of A Thin Man.” Filmed by documentary film maker D.A. Pennebaker during a 1966 tour of the British Isles, for “Eat The Document.” Dylan sits at the piano throughout, and Pennebaker’s camera remains fixated on him. At times, Dylan raises his left hand to make dramatic, emphatic gestures as his right hand continues to play. Members of The Band backed Dylan on that tour, though only bassist Rick Danko is, at times, visible; Garth Hudson’s organ riffs, though, which echo Dylan’s vocals in a call-and-response manner, are prominently featured in the mix.

“Shelter From The Storm.” From the 1976 TV concert special “Hard Rain.”

“Isis.” An outtake from Dylan’s 1978 movie “Renaldo and Clara” (filmed in 1975): A raging performance. When the camera zooms in on Dylan’s eyes, they convey an almost crazed intensity.

“Pressing On.” A performance of the gospel song from a 1980 concert in Buffalo – again, filmed for a project that was never released. It was the show’s fervent, show-stopping finale: Dylan starts at the piano, then moves theatrically to the front of the stage before exiting, as his band keeps playing.

“Ring Them Bells.” Filmed at The Supper Club in New York in 1993.

“Love Sick.” From the 1998 Grammy Awards.

“Cold Irons Bound.” From the 2003 movie “Masked and Anonymous.”

Dylan Archives II (2017)

“Talking World War III Blues.” From the Canadian TV show, “Quest,” taped in February 1964. Dylan singing to a bunch of rugged guys sitting around in a rustic cabin.

“The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll.” From “The Steve Allen Show.” Filmed in 1964. Preceded by an interview by Steve Allen.

“Love Minus Zero/No Limit.” An outtake from D.A. Pennebaker’s “Don’t Look Back” documentary: A solo acoustic performance of the song, played in a London hotel room in May 1965, with Donovan and others looking on. The transformation that has taken place since the 1964 clips is incredible.

“It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry.” Just two months later (July 1965), Dylan is now in full-blown electric rocker mode in this performance from the Newport Folk Festival, buoyed by Mike Bloomfield’s muscular lead guitar.

“One Too Many Mornings.” A majestic performance from the 1966 European Tour with the band that would basically turn into The Band (featuring Robbie Robertson, Rick Danko, Garth Hudson and Richard Manuel). Danko (who sings backing vocals) and Robertson are visible at times.

“Hurricane.” A tight, focused performance of the then-new single from the Rolling Thunder Revue in 1975, with some great footage of violinist Scarlet Rivera.

“Tangled Up In Blue.” From Hughes Stadium in Fort Collins, CO, in 1976. The clip was made for Dylan’s “Hard Rain” television special but not included in it, perhaps because it’s such an eccentric performance. Dylan changes the song’s arrangement and tempo so many times he astonishes even his backing musicians, yet he never seems to lose touch with the song’s emotional thread.

“Blowin’ In The Wind.” A gospelly rendition from a 1981 arena show, with Al Kooper on organ.

“License To Kill.” A 1984 performance from “Late Night With David Letterman,” with just three other musicians: drummer Charlie Quintana and bassist Tony Marsico (both of the Latin punk band The Plugz) and guitarist J.J. Holiday.

“Weeping Willow.” The best performance from The Supper Club recordings in New York, in 1993. Dylan never performed the Blind Boy Fuller song before or after this night.

“Once Upon A Time.” From 2016 TV special, “Once Upon a Time – Tony Bennett Celebrates 90: The Best Is Yet to Come.”

PostPosted: Fri April 20th, 2018, 09:42 GMT 

Is the program for "Dylan Archives III" already known?

PostPosted: Sun April 29th, 2018, 22:53 GMT 

I just got home from the 3rd installment of the Dylan Archives. It was a good time.
Here’s what they showed:

Only A Pawn In Their Game - Newport 1963
She Belongs To Me - Hotel room 1965 Don’t Look Back Outtake
Tell Me Momma - Live 1966
Visions Of Johanna - Live 1966
Man In Me - Studio 1970
Simple Twist Of Fate - John Hammond Special 1975
Isis - Hard Rain Outtake 1976
You’re A Big Girl Now - Hard Rain Outtake 1976
Solid Rock - Live 1979 (or 1980?) same as Trouble No More
Heart Of Mine - Live 1981
Jokerman - Letterman 1984
Train Of Love - Johnny Cash Tribute 1999
Do Re Mi - The People Speak 2009
Times They Are A Changin’ - Live at the White House 2010
Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright - Live 1976

It was all in amazing quality. The Man In Me was my highlight followed by a stunning Visions Of Johanna.

PostPosted: Sun April 29th, 2018, 23:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

So Man in Me was live in the studio? Same version we know from the lp? Can you say more about it? I had no idea that existed.

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2018, 00:06 GMT 

smoke wrote:
So Man in Me was live in the studio? Same version we know from the lp? Can you say more about it? I had no idea that existed.

To my ear it sounded like the lp version sung live in the studio. It was absolutely incredible. At the end, after he finished singing, he took a deep breath, let it out and then smiled a big smile. Jaw dropping footage!

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2018, 00:08 GMT 
Promethium Member

OH MAN :D

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2018, 02:11 GMT 

ramblin wrote:
smoke wrote:

To my ear it sounded like the lp version sung live in the studio. It was absolutely incredible. At the end, after he finished singing, he took a deep breath, let it out and then smiled a big smile. Jaw dropping footage!

I was there too! His manager said they were filming the master cut of the song, so the reason it sounded like the lp version is because it was! Great footage, loved the ending to that clip. Also really loved the live Isis footage from the Hard Rain concert as well as You’re a Big Girl Now. It was definitely worth the trip

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2018, 10:26 GMT 

Surely the time is now for an expanded Hard Rain CD/DVD release...

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2018, 13:26 GMT 

If a Blood On The Tracks themed volume of The Bootleg Series ever comes to fruition in the near future, let's all hope for an inclusion of a bonus DVD containing the 5 Blood On The Tracks songs Dylan performed so exquisitely at that 1976 Rolling Thunder Revue Fort Collins concert. Fortunately it is all preserved.

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2018, 13:46 GMT 

Brickbat wrote:
If a Blood On The Tracks themed volume of The Bootleg Series ever comes to fruition in the near future, let's all hope for an inclusion of a bonus DVD containing the 5 Blood On The Tracks songs Dylan performed so exquisitely at that 1976 Rolling Thunder Revue Fort Collins concert. Fortunately it is all preserved.

This is happening.

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2018, 20:10 GMT 

ramblin wrote:
I just got home from the 3rd installment of the Dylan Archives. It was a good time.
Here’s what they showed:

Only A Pawn In Their Game - Newport 1963
She Belongs To Me - Hotel room 1965 Don’t Look Back Outtake
Tell Me Momma - Live 1966
Visions Of Johanna - Live 1966
Man In Me - Studio 1970
Simple Twist Of Fate - John Hammond Special 1975
Isis - Hard Rain Outtake 1976
You’re A Big Girl Now - Hard Rain Outtake 1976
Solid Rock - Live 1979 (or 1980?) same as Trouble No More
Heart Of Mine - Live 1981
Jokerman - Letterman 1984
Train Of Love - Johnny Cash Tribute 1999
Do Re Mi - The People Speak 2009
Times They Are A Changin’ - Live at the White House 2010
Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright - Live 1976

It was all in amazing quality. The Man In Me was my highlight followed by a stunning Visions Of Johanna.

Thanks a lot for reporting!

PostPosted: Tue May 1st, 2018, 11:53 GMT 
Promethium Member

McG wrote:
Brickbat wrote:

This is happening.

Do we know for sure?
If so, the Box will most likely cross over into Desire territory.
Not a bad thing. Was just hoping Dylan, Inc. would do that
separately & stay completely focused on Blood in this BS 14.

PostPosted: Tue May 1st, 2018, 12:06 GMT 

?? Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright - Live 1976 ??

PostPosted: Tue May 1st, 2018, 15:58 GMT 

bstacy wrote:
?? Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright - Live 1976 ??

It was from the Clearwater special, but the video was labeled "Midnight Special." It was funny, he did part of a verse and forgot the words.

PostPosted: Tue May 1st, 2018, 21:25 GMT 

> It was from the Clearwater special ... <

Thanks PSB. Kind of an odd thing (a blown single verse) to include in a film archive, but then, tasting and digesting Dylan in a variety of conditions and flavorings is often a good thing.

I looked it up. That attempted version of "Don't Think Twice" wasn't part of the special itself (the alternate Hard Rain) which never got broadcast. It was filmed during the 1st show on April 22, 1976, at the Belleview Biltmore Hotel, Clearwater, Florida. Audio and video of the track haven't previously circulated.

PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 06:33 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
McG wrote:

This is happening.

Do we know for sure?
If so, the Box will most likely cross over into Desire territory.
Not a bad thing. Was just hoping Dylan, Inc. would do that
separately & stay completely focused on Blood in this BS 14.

Trust me.

PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 15:49 GMT 

bstacy wrote:
> It was from the Clearwater special ... <

Thanks PSB. Kind of an odd thing (a blown single verse) to include in a film archive, but then, tasting and digesting Dylan in a variety of conditions and flavorings is often a good thing.

I looked it up. That attempted version of "Don't Think Twice" wasn't part of the special itself (the alternate Hard Rain) which never got broadcast. It was filmed during the 1st show on April 22, 1976, at the Belleview Biltmore Hotel, Clearwater, Florida. Audio and video of the track haven't previously circulated.

It was very reminiscent of the way he spaced on the opening lines to "I Don't Believe You" at Philharmonic Hall.

PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 17:41 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:
I do wish i could attend these, seen some footage from the first one, not sure if theres anything existing from the 2nd year. I hope someone who attends has "special sunglasses". :lol:

Are you saying that there is footage of the 2nd event somewhere? What are we talking? Sneaky grainy shots from the audience?

PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 19:07 GMT 

There was footage of the first show, mostly out of focus but all the same interesting as the audio if i remember correctly was not bad.