Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun February 18th, 2018, 20:04 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1511 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
PostPosted: Thu January 4th, 2018, 13:06 GMT 

Bejitto wrote:
gepetto wrote:
From Anders Lindh in the last issue of « The Bridge » (thanks to him) :

16th October 1980 Rundown Studios, Santa Monica
Jesus Met the Woman at the Well
Abraham, Martin and John

Are You Ready Toronto 20th April
Solid Rock Buffalo 30th April
Slow Train Toronto 20th April
When He Returns Toronto 20th April
Precious Angel Toronto 19th/20th April
Saved Buffalo 1st May
Do Right To Me Buffalo 30th April/1st May
Ain’t Gonna Go Buffalo 1st May
What Can I Do Buffalo 30th April
Pressing On Buffalo 1st May

Bonus
Cover Down Toronto 19th/20th April
Shot Of Love Avignon 25th July 1981

Awesome, thanks. I found the boots for both the April 20 (LB-6746) and April 30 (LB-07176) shows, and verified that's what listed above for those two is correct. Avignon is also correct and it's already on Disc 2, Track 10.

As for the three shows listed with multiple dates, I compared the lyrics with the two shows I had:

- Definitely NOT April 20th
- DVD vs LB-6746...
- First chorus: "Shine your light, on me (x3)" vs "Shine your light, shine your light on me (x3)" April 20th)
- "Telling him about a-Buddha" vs "Telling him all about Buddha"
- Other differences, but the above two are enough

- Definitely NOT April 30th
- DVD vs LB-07176...
- Most verses have their lines sung in completely different orders and lots of points with different phrasing.
- Really easy to tell these aren't the same, no need for examples.

- Really close, but definitely NOT April 20th
- DVD vs LB-6746...
- "If you quicken your mortal body, then let it run to your head" vs "then a-let it run to your head"
- "Well you got an image of yourself" vs "You got an image of yourself"
- Extended vs shorter ending

Now I wonder if anyone figured out the Toronto dates for Discs 5 & 6...

Thank you for your effort you put into all those comparisons. Graeat work.

My first question is: you don't believe the perfoming dates as written in the booklet are true?

If I understand your conclusions right, these titels are not to be found on any of the Trouble No More CDs:
(not questioning the Toronto dates from Disc 5 and 6)

Cover Down / April 19
Are you ready / April 20
Slow train / April 20
Solid rock / April 30
What can I do for you? /April 30
Saved / May 1
Do right to me / May 1
Ain't gonna go to hell / May 1
Pressing on / May 1

Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Thu January 4th, 2018, 15:13 GMT 

I finally had the deluxe copy I bought from Bobdylan.com, including the San Diego discs, in my hands this Christmas... and I had to leave it all behind me without even having heard the 1st track

Dylan himself could write a terrific sad song with that story

PostPosted: Thu January 4th, 2018, 15:36 GMT 

wormington wrote:
I finally had the deluxe copy I bought from Bobdylan.com, including the San Diego discs, in my hands this Christmas... and I had to leave it all behind me without even having heard the 1st track.

Erm... why?

PostPosted: Thu January 4th, 2018, 15:42 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
wormington wrote:
I finally had the deluxe copy I bought from Bobdylan.com, including the San Diego discs, in my hands this Christmas... and I had to leave it all behind me without even having heard the 1st track.

Erm... why?

That´s a good question, mooney man.
I left it behind because I was in my parents house in a different country and I have high hopes of moving there in a few weeks if my application for a certain job is successful, so I left behind all presents received and other stuff to avoid bringing them all back shortly after. Including, and that´s what hurt the most, my brand new deluxe Bob box-set.
And I didn´t listen to any of the songs because there´s simply too much going on on these holidays
:?

PostPosted: Thu January 4th, 2018, 15:50 GMT 

wormington wrote:
mjmooney wrote:
[quote="wormington"]I finally had the deluxe copy I bought from Bobdylan.com, including the San Diego discs, in my hands this Christmas... and I had to leave it all behind me without even having heard the 1st track.

Erm... why?

That´s a good question, mooney man.
I left it behind because I was in my parents house in a different country and I have high hopes of moving there in a few weeks if my application for a certain job is successful, so I left behind all presents received and other stuff to avoid bringing them all back shortly after. Including, and that´s what hurt the most, my brand new deluxe Bob box-set.
And I didn´t listen to any of the songs because there´s simply too much going on on these holidays
:?[/quote]Oh, well good luck with the job application! Moving from where to where, if you don't mind me asking?

PostPosted: Thu January 4th, 2018, 15:51 GMT 

Not at all. From Serbia back to Spain

PostPosted: Thu January 4th, 2018, 17:02 GMT 

gepetto wrote:
From Anders Lindh in the last issue of « The Bridge » (thanks to him) :

16th October 1980 Rundown Studios, Santa Monica
Jesus Met the Woman at the Well
Abraham, Martin and John

Are You Ready Toronto 20th April
Solid Rock Buffalo 30th April
Slow Train Toronto 20th April
When He Returns Toronto 20th April
Saved Buffalo 1st May
Ain’t Gonna Go Buffalo 1st May
What Can I Do Buffalo 30th April
Pressing On Buffalo 1st May

Bonus
Shot Of Love Avignon 25th July 1981

Actually, according to Anders, "Precious Angel" is mostly from Toronto 19th April but a couple of lines, in the first verse, seems to be from another audio source, probably 20th April.
"Do Right To Me" is a composit of Buffalo 30th April and 1st May.
And the Toronto "Slow Train" has an insert from Buffalo.

PostPosted: Thu January 4th, 2018, 19:55 GMT 

Well, I have finally started to work through the Deluxe Edition. Unlike many of you, I watched the DVD first, mostly because I could watch that with visiting family over the holiday easier than digging into the audio discs. I posted my thoughts about the DVD on the appropriate thread, but in short, I really enjoyed it...all of it.

Also unlike many of you, I started with disc 1 rather than San Diego or the other later discs. I am now through disc 4 and am loving almost every second of it. I have always enjoyed the three studio albums, other officially released songs from the period, the Toronto DVD, and the few audio boots that I have heard. And while I am certainly not much of an audiophile, I am hearing a great improvement in sound quality here, which is great.

Generally, I am liking the versions from discs 1&2 better than 3&4. This is true for When You Gonna Wake Up?, Covenant Woman, Do Right, Solid Rock, In the Garden (I am always a sucker for a strong organ, and it's great on this live version), Pressing On (although I'll probably still prefer Toronto), Groom, Ain't Gonna Go to Hell, and Ain't No Man.

But I think I like the disc 3 Gotta Serve and When He Returns (I love the syncopated piano...but I'm guessing that I will still like the Toronto live version even better).

I'm glad to hear another version of You Changed, but that weird added line with what I'm guessing is a minor note near the end of each chorus makes me prefer the BS 1-3 version.

Watered-Down didn't seem much different from the album version, so not much was added with these versions. I also wasn't blown away with Shot of Love on these opening discs.

I love the revival feeling of Blessed and I Will Love Him, but I have not yet been able to get into Trouble, Jesus is the One, Thief, or Yonder (I know that puts me in the minority with most of those).

I will always be thankful for hearing Summertime live in '02, and I love the version here. I still prefer the demo and album versions of Grain to what is on these opening four discs. City of Gold has always been a favorite (more great organ here).

Getting to hear Stand at this stage reminds me of The Cutting Edge; I wish more of this "working stuff out" was included.

Making a Liar and Cover Down might not be my favorites, but I like both. And Caribbean Wind is always interesting, in that it's a song that has been done in such different ways, and yet I cannot easily pick a favorite. Even the two versions that are so different from each other seem to work great.

The Hank Williams cover is interesting, but Rise Again is up there as one of my favorite Dylan studio/rehearsal covers.

On another note, if anyone with power is reading this, please let me edit the written portion of the next BS release. The typos and inconsistencies are really disappointing for such a short amount of writing. I would be upset if I were Penn Jillette or Ben Rollins; it's not always easy to catch our own typos, but that's why we assume that editors are paid to clean things up.

Okay, I can't wait to listen to Toronto next, and then be able to compare it with the London and San Diego shows....grave

PostPosted: Thu January 4th, 2018, 22:52 GMT 

to the grave wrote:
I'm glad to hear another version of You Changed, but that weird added line with what I'm guessing is a minor note near the end of each chorus makes me prefer the BS 1-3 version.

Watered-Down didn't seem much different from the album version, so not much was added with these versions. I also wasn't blown away with Shot of Love on these opening discs.

I love the revival feeling of Blessed and I Will Love Him, but I have not yet been able to get into Trouble, Jesus is the One, Thief, or Yonder (I know that puts me in the minority with most of those).

I will always be thankful for hearing Summertime live in '02, and I love the version here. I still prefer the demo and album versions of Grain to what is on these opening four discs. City of Gold has always been a favorite (more great organ here).

Getting to hear Stand at this stage reminds me of The Cutting Edge; I wish more of this "working stuff out" was included.

Making a Liar and Cover Down might not be my favorites, but I like both. And Caribbean Wind is always interesting, in that it's a song that has been done in such different ways, and yet I cannot easily pick a favorite. Even the two versions that are so different from each other seem to work great.

The Hank Williams cover is interesting, but Rise Again is up there as one of my favorite Dylan studio/rehearsal covers.

On another note, if anyone with power is reading this, please let me edit the written portion of the next BS release. The typos and inconsistencies are really disappointing for such a short amount of writing. I would be upset if I were Penn Jillette or Ben Rollins; it's not always easy to catch our own typos, but that's why we assume that editors are paid to clean things up.

Okay, I can't wait to listen to Toronto next, and then be able to compare it with the London and San Diego shows....grave

Agree about You Changed My Life; that minor note is just very incongruous, and nothing more is really revealed with the takes of Shot Of Love and Groom...(not saying they're without merit; Dylan's singing is impassioned on both, but they don't really add a different light on the songs unlike, say, Caribbean Wind). I find songs like 'Blessed Be The Name' and 'Stand By Faith', really very repetitive musically, especially when you add in songs like 'Saved' and 'Are You Ready' to the mix, and it would be one of the criticisms I would have of the period. For me disc one is actually the weakest of the lot purely based on the sound quality of the '79, and early '80, recordings they used. Plus I find the '79 performances pretty dull to be honest. I like disc two a lot, probably because it features more tunes from late 1980-1981.

PostPosted: Fri January 5th, 2018, 04:25 GMT 

Quote:
Actually, according to Anders, "Precious Angel" is mostly from Toronto 19th April but a couple of lines, in the first verse, seems to be from another audio source, probably 20th April.
"Do Right To Me" is a composit of Buffalo 30th April and 1st May.
And the Toronto "Slow Train" has an insert from Buffalo.

That actually makes more sense to me now as when I was comparing some sections did sound like a match. Thanks again!

Quote:
Thank you for your effort you put into all those comparisons. Graeat work.

My first question is: you don't believe the perfoming dates as written in the booklet are true?

If I understand your conclusions right, these titels are not to be found on any of the Trouble No More CDs:
(not questioning the Toronto dates from Disc 5 and 6)

Cover Down / April 19
Are you ready / April 20
Slow train / April 20
Solid rock / April 30
What can I do for you? /April 30
Saved / May 1
Do right to me / May 1
Ain't gonna go to hell / May 1
Pressing on / May 1

Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

More that I only bothered to look at the back of the box! But before I read this, I found them listed here too, for anyone that only has the 2-disc set:

https://www.jambase.com/article/bob-dyl ... -1979-1981

Disc 5 – Live in Toronto 1980

Gotta Serve Somebody (April 18, 1980)
I Believe In You (April 18, 1980)
Covenant Woman (April 19, 1980)
When You Gonna Wake Up? (April 18, 1980)
When He Returns (April 20, 1980)
Ain’t Gonna Go To Hell For Anybody (Unreleased song – April 18, 1980)
Cover Down, Pray Through (Unreleased song – April 19, 1980)
Man Gave Names To All The Animals (April 19, 1980)
Precious Angel (April 19, 1980)

Disc 6 – Live in Toronto 1980

Slow Train (April 18, 1980)
Do Right To Me Baby (Do Unto Others)
(April 20, 1980)
Solid Rock (April 20, 1980)
Saving Grace (April 18, 1980)
What Can I Do For You? (April 19, 1980)
In The Garden (April 20, 1980)
Band Introductions (April 19, 1980)
Are You Ready? (April 19, 1980)
Pressing On (April 18, 1980)

So to answer your question, Cover Down / April 19 should also be on Disc 5 / 07.

PostPosted: Fri January 5th, 2018, 11:40 GMT 

Bejitto wrote:

So to answer your question, Cover Down / April 19 should also be on Disc 5 / 07.

Oh yes, in my database I assigned the song to April 18th. Most likely because Alan Fraser on his searching for a gem-website did the same. So it's either a typo or he has better sources. I did not compare his listing against the "official" information from the booklet, I have to admit.

PostPosted: Fri January 12th, 2018, 07:50 GMT 

I have to say that the quality of what I've heard of the 2CD set and the copy of the Earls Court discs has started me thinking that if I see the de-luxe set cheap enough somewhere I may consider purchasing it. That wouldn't be the case for 'Triplicate' though!

PostPosted: Fri January 12th, 2018, 12:19 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
I have to say that the quality of what I've heard of the 2CD set and the copy of the Earls Court discs has started me thinking that if I see the de-luxe set cheap enough somewhere I may consider purchasing it. That wouldn't be the case for 'Triplicate' though!

I'm glad you're enjoying it. You wouldn't consider the Google Play download (€35.99 at present for the 8 discs worth-obviously minus dvd) or, like myself, do you prefer an 'object'?

PostPosted: Fri January 12th, 2018, 14:51 GMT 

^^I have to say that after my last PC went down and all the problems I had with getting / finding my downloads I do prefer to have an 'object'. Even my I-pod library was lost and when I phoned Apple they said that I would probably have to load up all the stuff again as I had switched to a laptop. Apparently, it is a war they are fighting against piracy and even though the bulk of my I-pod music was downloaded from CD's I own they are very cautious about transferring files to another PC. Basically you have to ensure that everything is backed up regularly.

PostPosted: Mon January 15th, 2018, 20:11 GMT 

Just got this. The deluxe package is great as always (only my 2nd after the Basement Tapes Complete, though), the "books" look spectacular, but again the way the CDs are stored in the box is just wrong. I hope they will come up with something better, more practical, for future releases.

PostPosted: Mon January 15th, 2018, 20:51 GMT 

Sorry...

So do we have concrete dates for the DVD? I really need to update my files!!! :)

PostPosted: Tue January 16th, 2018, 01:23 GMT 

Just listened through most of the discs while driving today, I have a new appreciation for the '78 rehearsals and the Slow Train Coming outtakes. Toronto sounds excellent, and I'm glad it was included. Cover Down, Pray Through is fantastic.

The more I hear from the Earls Court '81 show the more I dislike it. Standout songs are Gotta Serve Somebody, Forever Young, and Blowin' in the Wind. I sound like a broken record I suppose but I still think that show was a bad pick. Dylan sounds like he's struggling to sing, it sounds painful at times. Everyone sounds burned out, really, which is funny considering how smoothed out it became later in the tour.

PostPosted: Thu January 18th, 2018, 22:44 GMT 

Vinyl edition only £36,99 on Amazon UK at the time of writing. If you live outside Europe (like me) it's even cheaper - 30,82, because of VAT.

PostPosted: Sun January 21st, 2018, 18:06 GMT 

four-armed phone wrote:
Vinyl edition only £36,99 on Amazon UK at the time of writing. If you live outside Europe (like me) it's even cheaper - 30,82, because of VAT.

It gets better than that. I ordered it, as I've been holding out for the deluxe box to get nearer my budget, which it hasn't, so I thought this could tide me over. Amazon's 'AutoRip' for the vinyl box gives you the deluxe download, so that's 4LPs, 2CDs and the equivalent of 8CDs on MP3 (quality a bit less than 320 kbps).

A bit off topic, but Bootleg 1-3 is £31 on vinyl on Amazon UK. I've held off on this too, thinking that it really makes more sense as 3 CDs (volts 1-3, after all) than 5 LPs, but it was too good to turn down.

A well spent £67, I think.

PostPosted: Sun January 21st, 2018, 19:20 GMT 

Yes,spent I agree. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun January 21st, 2018, 22:42 GMT 

Chiefbrody wrote:
four-armed phone wrote:

It gets better than that. I ordered it, as I've been holding out for the deluxe box to get nearer my budget, which it hasn't, so I thought this could tide me over. Amazon's 'AutoRip' for the vinyl box gives you the deluxe download, so that's 4LPs, 2CDs and the equivalent of 8CDs on MP3 (quality a bit less than 320 kbps).

A bit off topic, but Bootleg 1-3 is £31 on vinyl on Amazon UK. I've held off on this too, thinking that it really makes more sense as 3 CDs (volts 1-3, after all) than 5 LPs, but it was too good to turn down.

A well spent £67, I think.

Crikey! I saw this end of last week and thought "nah! i'll hold out for the 8cd set to come down in price," and now you've just sold the vinyl to me. If the 8cd worth of MP3 is still definitely there then i'm in, good to see the £36 price is still up there.

I already have the Bootleg 1-3 vinyl and thats a lovely set.

Interestingly, does anyone expect the 8cd box to drop much in price? I have 6 cd deluxes of vol. 10, 11 and 12, was hoping to add 13 in the space next to 12 on the shelp but price too prohibitive. I do have 1-3 on vinyl so looks like 13 on vinyl plus mp3 is way to go. Been waiting too long for this one!!

Thanks for the tip-off.

PostPosted: Mon January 22nd, 2018, 08:31 GMT 

Pool Hall Richard wrote:
Interestingly, does anyone expect the 8cd box to drop much in price? I have 6 cd deluxes of vol. 10, 11 and 12, was hoping to add 13 in the space next to 12 on the shelp but price too prohibitive. I do have 1-3 on vinyl so looks like 13 on vinyl plus mp3 is way to go. Been waiting too long for this one!!

Thanks for the tip-off.

At some point I've seen just about all of the big boxes (Bootleg and Live 1966) go to about 50% RRP. Same with the vinyl as well, though I've only previously bought BS11 on vinyl.

I've tended to find that when they're first listed for order a quick check of the various Amazon sites can yield a decent discount (I'm sure I pre-ordered BS10, 11 and 12 from Amazon France, Germany or Italy for less than the UK). Otherwise, if you wait long enough they tend to drop, but you need to be regularly checking as it might only be available for a short window. Again, looking on all of the Amazon sites is worthwhile (I got Live 1966 for about £70 from Amazon.de when it was still £100+ in the UK).

PS if you're in the UK, the AutoRip should definitely be the deluxe version of BS13 - I don't think you can get AutoRip from an Amazon site that's not in your territory. I expect I'll pick up the CDs when it drops in price to something around £80.

PostPosted: Mon January 22nd, 2018, 15:53 GMT 

Chiefbrody wrote:
Pool Hall Richard wrote:

Thanks for the tip-off.

At some point I've seen just about all of the big boxes (Bootleg and Live 1966) go to about 50% RRP. Same with the vinyl as well, though I've only previously bought BS11 on vinyl.

I've tended to find that when they're first listed for order a quick check of the various Amazon sites can yield a decent discount (I'm sure I pre-ordered BS10, 11 and 12 from Amazon France, Germany or Italy for less than the UK). Otherwise, if you wait long enough they tend to drop, but you need to be regularly checking as it might only be available for a short window. Again, looking on all of the Amazon sites is worthwhile (I got Live 1966 for about £70 from Amazon.de when it was still £100+ in the UK).

PS if you're in the UK, the AutoRip should definitely be the deluxe version of BS13 - I don't think you can get AutoRip from an Amazon site that's not in your territory. I expect I'll pick up the CDs when it drops in price to something around £80.

Alas, the man who waits 24 hours to place the order loses out. I was waiting on an amazon refund, now sorted for an unwanted item, now returned. Looked just now and vinyl back upto £60+.

Foolish, although being honest I'm not too upset. Would still prefer the cd's, but lets see. I've waited since November so a while longer to get the deluxe. Keeping eyes peeled!

PostPosted: Tue January 23rd, 2018, 20:44 GMT 

Price is back at £36.99

PostPosted: Wed January 24th, 2018, 04:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

gerardv wrote:
bobfan wrote:
Yonder Comes Sin(btw is this a few seconds longer than the circulating version? Seemed to me like there was a line at the very end I was unfamiliar with)

Yes, there are two circulating versions. One with the last verse included, the other with the final verse left out. This is the longer (original) version.

I don't hear a missing verse on my iTunes download. Does another version have a different one or do you owe me one dollar and twenty nine cents?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1511 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next