Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat January 20th, 2018, 03:19 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri December 29th, 2017, 08:05 GMT 

After buying Neil Young's Hitchhiker the question has to be asked. Were any acoustic tracks recorded by Dylan in the seventies or eighties that were only released with the full band treatment. I know the chances are slim but there's always hope!

PostPosted: Fri December 29th, 2017, 08:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

If those Street-Legal piano demos exist they’d surely be a treat!

PostPosted: Fri December 29th, 2017, 11:17 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
After buying Neil Young's Hitchhiker the question has to be asked. Were any acoustic tracks recorded by Dylan in the seventies or eighties that were only released with the full band treatment. I know the chances are slim but there's always hope!

There is an unknown and uncirculating solo version of the "Blood On The Tracks" album (described by a source close to Dylan in interviews with "Rolling Stone" magazine), which hopefully will be released as part of the next volume of the "Bootleg Series".

Furthermore solo demos of some "Oh Mercy" songs have been released ("Most Of The Time", "Dignity" and "Ring Them Bells") and a solo piano demo of "God Knows" is known to exist, so there is a pretty good chance of more solo versions of "Oh Mercy" songs sitting in the vaults.

PostPosted: Fri December 29th, 2017, 13:26 GMT 

... the difference being that most of the songs and recording mentioned above were intended to be demos and never meant to form an album, unlike Uncle Neil who apprently went into the studio with the intent to make an album and then abandoned the recordings.

There's several hints of that in Dylan's career as well:

1962 - Original "Freewheelin'"
1963 - "In Concert"
1970 - "New Morning" (not sure if that alt. running order Heylin reports was just a dry run or a genuine attempt at an album sequence)
1974 - Original "Blood On The Tracks"
1983 - Original "Infidels"
1988 - Original "Down In The Groove"
1992 - Bromberg Sessions

The last one was mistakenly released in South America and then pulled.

Unlike the "Hitchhiker" album referenced above, all the finished albums did include some / a lot of material that was intended for release all along.

As far as I know the Bromberg Sessions are the only full set of album recordings that remain unreleased. That was mostly / all covers, though.

PostPosted: Fri December 29th, 2017, 15:17 GMT 

Handsomeinthefog wrote:
... the difference being that most of the songs and recording mentioned above were intended to be demos and never meant to form an album, unlike Uncle Neil who apprently went into the studio with the intent to make an album and then abandoned the recordings.

There's several hints of that in Dylan's career as well:

1962 - Original "Freewheelin'"
1963 - "In Concert"
1970 - "New Morning" (not sure if that alt. running order Heylin reports was just a dry run or a genuine attempt at an album sequence)
1974 - Original "Blood On The Tracks"
1983 - Original "Infidels"
1988 - Original "Down In The Groove"
1992 - Bromberg Sessions

The last one was mistakenly released in South America and then pulled.

Unlike the "Hitchhiker" album referenced above, all the finished albums did include some / a lot of material that was intended for release all along.

As far as I know the Bromberg Sessions are the only full set of album recordings that remain unreleased. That was mostly / all covers, though.

The album that was mistakenly released in South America (Argentina) was the second version of "Down In The Groove" (on the first pressing of the LP version of "Down In The Groove" in that country). There are three versions of the album: Dylan's original version, authorized for release in August 1987 (unreleased), the second version ("The Usual" replacing "Important Words") and the third version released in 1988 ("Had A Dream About You, Baby" and "Death Is Not The End" replacing "The Usual" and "Got Love If You Want It").

Bromberg Sessions: If I remember it correctly, Bromberg mixed 12 or 15 songs from the sessions (about 30 songs were recorded), but Dylan did not like the record and instead recorded "Good As I Been To You".

PostPosted: Fri December 29th, 2017, 21:37 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
The album that was mistakenly released in South America (Argentina) was the second version of "Down In The Groove" (on the first pressing of the LP version of "Down In The Groove" in that country). There are three versions of the album: Dylan's original version, authorized for release in August 1987 (unreleased), the second version ("The Usual" replacing "Important Words") and the third version released in 1988 ("Had A Dream About You, Baby" and "Death Is Not The End" replacing "The Usual" and "Got Love If You Want It").

Bromberg Sessions: If I remember it correctly, Bromberg mixed 12 or 15 songs from the sessions (about 30 songs were recorded), but Dylan did not like the record and instead recorded "Good As I Been To You".

I take it they have never seen the light of day as a bootleg either? I suppose if Dylan did not like the finished product he would have ordered the masters to be destroyed?

PostPosted: Fri December 29th, 2017, 22:08 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:

I take it they have never seen the light of day as a bootleg either? I suppose if Dylan did not like the finished product he would have ordered the masters to be destroyed?

I don't think he disliked the recordings THAT strongly. ;-) Either way, four tracks are circulating (Polly Vaughan – IMO one of the greatest things Dylan ever recorded, Kaatskill Serenade, Miss The Mississippi And You, Sloppy Drunk) and two were released on "Tell Tale Signs" (Duncan And Brady, Miss The Mississippi And You).

These songs apparently were recorded at the Bromberg sessions:

1. Hey Joe
2. Mobile Line
3. Just Because
4. Field Of Stone (Would You Lay With Me)
5. Annie's Song
6. Jugband Song
7. Rock Me Baby
8. Send Me To The 'lectric Chair
9. Gotta Do My Time
10. Su Su's Got A Mohawk
11. Northeast Texas Woman
12. Sail On
13. Can't Lose What You Never Had
14. World Of Fools
15. Everybody's Crying Mercy
16. Tennessee Blues
17. Summer Wages
18. Casey Jones
19. Morning Blues
20. Young Westley
21. The Lady Came From Baltimore
22. New Lee Highway Blues
23. Rise Again
24. Duncan And Brady
25. The Main Street Moan
26. Nobody's Fault But Mine
27. Miss The Mississippi And You
28. Sloppy Drunk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THX2D1QNimA
29. Kaatskill Serenade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mVhKoFsIvs
30. Polly Vaughn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI8SJGO3W90

And these songs may have been under consideration for the album:

1. I'll Rise Again (trad.)
2. Nobody's Fault But Mine (Blind Willie Johnson)
3. The Lady Came From Baltimore (Tim Hardin)
4. Polly Vaughan (trad.)
5. Casey Jones (trad.)
6. Duncan And Brady (trad.)
7. Kaatskill Serenade (David Bromberg)
8. World Of Fools (David Bromberg)
9. Miss The Mississippi And You (Jimmie Rodgers)
10. Sloppy Drunk (Jimmie Rodgers)
11. Hey Joe (Billy Roberts)
12. Northeast Texas Woman (Willis Alan Ramsey)

Last edited by My Echo, My Shadow And Me on Fri December 29th, 2017, 22:18 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri December 29th, 2017, 22:11 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:

Well, he might have recorded it with an advance from Columbia, in which case he could have vetoed the release, but could not have the tapes destroyed. Also, Dylan doesn't seem to be one to erase recordings he has no intentions to put out, hence wealth of "Bootleg Series" material.

By the time of the Bromberg sessions, "Bootleg Series I-III" was already out and Dylan might have valued unreleased songs a little differently at that point.

Of course. I added the Bromberg Sessions later, and the South America comment was meant to reference "DITG".

PostPosted: Fri December 29th, 2017, 23:35 GMT 

Bromberg Sessions are probably the most intriguing unreleased album, but other ones not already covered here include the 1982 Clydie King duet record and the unreleased version of Time Out of Mind mixed by Jim Dickenson and featuring numerous alternate takes. The latter is known to exist, since it is cited in articles related to the Dylan Archive at Tulsa, but I strongly suspect the former exists too. Dylan also discussed, in 2004 if memory serves, having re-recorded classic songs of his in new arrangements, but nothing was ever published from this (like the Clydie King duets, it's possible that this was speculative talk and didn't reflect an actual album having been recorded).

PostPosted: Sat December 30th, 2017, 01:52 GMT 

belleseb32 wrote:
Bromberg Sessions are probably the most intriguing unreleased album, but other ones not already covered here include the 1982 Clydie King duet record and the unreleased version of Time Out of Mind mixed by Jim Dickenson and featuring numerous alternate takes. The latter is known to exist, since it is cited in articles related to the Dylan Archive at Tulsa, but I strongly suspect the former exists too. Dylan also discussed, in 2004 if memory serves, having re-recorded classic songs of his in new arrangements, but nothing was ever published from this (like the Clydie King duets, it's possible that this was speculative talk and didn't reflect an actual album having been recorded).

Yep, definately remember hearing Dylan speaking about the duets album with Clydie King, he said it didn't get released because the record company didn't know how to market it, which is a big shame because the "Abraham, Martin and John" duet on the Trouble No More DVD is arguably the high point of the whole box set, and there were live versions which were even better too, the live "Rise Again" was fantastic too.

The Bromberg sessions would be amazing to hear in full, "Polly Vaughn" is one that I have been going back to time and time again for years, absolutely haunting stuff!

PostPosted: Sat December 30th, 2017, 07:11 GMT 

Nobody mentioned it yet, but wasn't the Dylan / Cash sessions recorded with a view to releasing an album?

PostPosted: Sat December 30th, 2017, 23:52 GMT 

the dylan/cash sessions was a nice bootleg, but nothing more than that.
it is mainly the sound of cash ( boom chacka boom, or how you would call it).

PostPosted: Sun December 31st, 2017, 06:54 GMT 

i always like to listen to GOD ONLY KNOWS.....the Inbetween Saved and Shot of Love recordings

PostPosted: Sun December 31st, 2017, 10:52 GMT 

As for the Bromberg sessions I remember it as Dylan 'not liking David's mixing', so not necessarily disliking the performances.

Then again, the almost erased brass on Miss the Mississippi and you might be a sign of another tale to tell...

PostPosted: Sun December 31st, 2017, 12:52 GMT 

It's not so much an unreleased album, but a series of abandoned songs around 1986: After the Empire. You can find them on here, or here https://themidnightcafe.org/2017/03/29/ ... he-empire/

PostPosted: Sun December 31st, 2017, 13:15 GMT 

And, yeah, based on the Abraham, Martin & John clip I'd really like to hear the '82 duets with Clydie. We know at least there were a few: http://www.bjorner.com/DSN06890%20-%201 ... m#DSN06905

PostPosted: Sun December 31st, 2017, 14:08 GMT 

Also, I'd be all ears for a Jim Dickinson produced TOOM. I tried to like (and thought I did) the album for a while but eventually both soundscape and performances dried me out.

PostPosted: Sun December 31st, 2017, 23:08 GMT 

Holy hell, I had no idea he did Northeast Texas Woman. Hiding that recording away is a sin against nature.

PostPosted: Sun December 31st, 2017, 23:51 GMT 
Mercury Member

I gotta say, it is the Bromberg album I really want to hear in it's entirety, and it's an album I would happily pay for.

PostPosted: Mon January 1st, 2018, 07:47 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
I gotta say, it is the Bromberg album I really want to hear in it's entirety, and it's an album I would happily pay for.

I would agree with that, however if the finished album comprised the following:
1. I'll Rise Again (trad.)
2.Nobody's Fault But Mine (Blind Willie Johnson)
3.The Lady Came From Baltimore (Tim Hardin)
4.Polly Vaughan (trad.)
5.Casey Jones (trad.)
6.Duncan And Brady (trad.)
7.Catskills Serenade (David Bromberg)
8.World Of Fools (David Bromberg)
9.Miss The Mississippi And You (Jimmie Rodgers)
10.Sloppy Drunk (Jimmie Rodgers)
11.Hey Joe (Billy Roberts)
12.Northeast Texas Woman (Willis Alan Ramsey)
I would be a little disappointed as there appears to be no Dylan originals. Still be nice to hear it though.

PostPosted: Mon January 1st, 2018, 09:10 GMT 

There don't seem to be any songs registered with ASCAP and SESAC which haven't been released already, so we will just have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Tue January 2nd, 2018, 10:43 GMT 

Dont forget the 1982 piano demos where Bob tried to get Zappa to produce him. They may not necessarily be the Infidels material.

http://forum.zappa.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21058

PostPosted: Tue January 2nd, 2018, 10:52 GMT 

Gazza63 wrote:
Dont forget the 1982 piano demos where Bob tried to get Zappa to produce him. They may not necessarily be the Infidels material.

http://forum.zappa.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21058

What's the chance though eh? Let's be realistic now.

PostPosted: Tue January 2nd, 2018, 13:51 GMT 

I have to say I'd LOVE to hear Lady Came From Baltimore, even though I'm so fond of the 1994 live versions that I don't know if I'd be ready for an (over)produced version of the same songs (loved Polly Vaughn even though I didn't know the song before).

I hadn't read the news about a Jim Dickinson TOOM - but I'm SO happy with the one we have... of course that's some possible material that thrills me a lot, BUT this soooooo long talked about Street Legal piano demos (although not an unreleased album)... years and years it gets mentioned, is it possible that nobody knows anything a bit more solid and concrete about those recordings?