Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon May 21st, 2018, 05:21 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
PostPosted: Sat November 15th, 2014, 23:01 GMT 

hollowhorn wrote:
oldfan wrote:
Life Sentence (June 2, 1978)l

I'm sure I saw that on Ebay.uk this week or last.

thanx - i will check that out…

PostPosted: Tue November 18th, 2014, 00:43 GMT 

Location: I've just reached a place where the willow don't bend...
Ladies and chaps, after reading up a little bit and seeing a post about someone seeing the wonderful 'World Gone Wrong' on even more wonderful vinyl in their record store.

I was wondering if anyone knew, if any, the chances of WGW being re-issued on vinyl, as per GIABTU etc. It's just I'm fearful that I'll never procure a copy! :cry:

PostPosted: Tue November 18th, 2014, 23:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

Being the second half of BOB - they were released separately here.

Also this...

Both found the other day.

PostPosted: Tue December 19th, 2017, 17:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

My UK mono first pressing of Highway 61 Revisited has arrived! It was only £10.99 plus £5 shipping, which is a little on the cheap side for an original mono copy, so I was a little sceptical when the seller said it was VG. It's turned up today and it is indeed in great condition! No more wear on the cover than you'd expect for an album of that age, the odd mark but nothing serious and the seams are still perfectly intact. The record itself has a fair bit of surface noise - again, as you'd expect for a record that was probably played on a cheap dansette with a penny on the stylus - but no major scratches or skips. I'm delighted! It's a lovely record and it's currently being played LOUD!

PostPosted: Tue December 19th, 2017, 17:36 GMT 

Nice one, gibs! Jealous!

PostPosted: Tue December 19th, 2017, 18:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hibbing91 wrote:
Ladies and chaps, after reading up a little bit and seeing a post about someone seeing the wonderful 'World Gone Wrong' on even more wonderful vinyl in their record store.

I don't know what's the big deal, it was almost certainly recorded 16 bit digital to begin with. It has a crunchy digital sound, seeing as it was made his garage studio it could be a DAT master.

It's not that I would never pick it up on vinyl - if the mood struck - but I don't expect the vinyl in this case to be a more meaningful experience versus the CD. Vinyl is not more wonderful than WGW, vinyl is the delivery system for WGW.

PostPosted: Tue December 19th, 2017, 19:10 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
My UK mono first pressing of Highway 61 Revisited has arrived! It was only £10.99 plus £5 shipping, which is a little on the cheap side for an original mono copy, so I was a little sceptical when the seller said it was VG. It's turned up today and it is indeed in great condition! No more wear on the cover than you'd expect for an album of that age, the odd mark but nothing serious and the seams are still perfectly intact. The record itself has a fair bit of surface noise - again, as you'd expect for a record that was probably played on a cheap dansette with a penny on the stylus - but no major scratches or skips. I'm delighted! It's a lovely record and it's currently being played LOUD!

Wow, beautiful, enjoy it!
(Vinyl is sooooo cool - why did I have to grow up in the 21st century?)

PostPosted: Tue December 19th, 2017, 19:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

^ Hey, it's the 21st century, maaaan. Vinyl's back maaaaan. Feel lucky you weren't growing up in the late 20th century when it was widely regarded as old trash.

PostPosted: Tue December 19th, 2017, 19:19 GMT 

Yeah yeah you got a point. :wink:
(And I'm a girl, maaaaaaaan. 8) )

PostPosted: Tue December 19th, 2017, 19:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

^ Sorry, forgot there are some gurls that populate this site. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue December 19th, 2017, 19:33 GMT 

No problem, Ain't Talkin'. And yes, we do exist :lol:

PostPosted: Tue December 19th, 2017, 19:41 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
^ Hey, it's the 21st century, maaaan. Vinyl's back maaaaan. Feel lucky you weren't growing up in the late 20th century when it was widely regarded as old trash.

I belong to the generation that is causing the rebirth of vinyl because we grew up on CDs and believe vinyl is the coolest thing since...erm... since something extremely cool that happened a looooooong time ago.

Sometimes I wish I was content with CDs, though. Like when I find myself paying 30 EUR for a vinyl, when on the next shelf I see the same music on CD for 5 EUR :?

PostPosted: Tue December 19th, 2017, 19:47 GMT 

The things we do for the coolest thing since something extremely cool that happened a looooong time ago! (This definition is extremely cool, wormington! 8) )
What I also love about vinyl is the mere size - of the album covers. Preserved they're cool, obviously.

PostPosted: Tue December 19th, 2017, 19:49 GMT 

bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:
The things we do for the coolest thing since something extremely cool that happened a looooong time ago! (This definition is extremely cool, wormington! 8) )
What I also love about vinyl is the mere size - of the album covers. Preserved they're cool, obviously.

That, plus the pleasure of the ritual, watching the record spin in front of you, is the sole reason why I buy them.
I hear absolutely no difference in sound (other than the cracks, when they happen).
And that somehow justifies paying the huge difference in price.
For now

PostPosted: Tue December 19th, 2017, 19:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

wormington wrote:
Ain't Talkin' wrote:

I belong to the generation that is causing the rebirth of vinyl because we grew up on CDs and believe vinyl is the coolest thing since...erm... since something extremely cool that happened a looooooong time ago.

Sometimes I wish I was content with CDs, though. Like when I find myself paying 30 EUR for a vinyl, when on the next shelf I see the same music on CD for 5 EUR :?

And then there is the issue of some of those expensive 'vinyls' being mastered from CD's to begin with. When I buy expensive vinyl reissues I like to stick with known companies like Mobile Fidelity and Sundazed, etc. that name their sources that they master from and have an established rep for being honest.

These fly by night companies (many are EU) that are jumping into the vinyl reissue pond I'm always wary of.

PostPosted: Wed December 20th, 2017, 08:01 GMT 

There's a lot of fun to be had from tracking down vinyl products in good condition at a bargain price. Having said that a lot of stores and on - line sellers often have deals on products by an artist of the stature like Bob Dylan.
Although I still have most of my original vinyl collection I couldn't resist the temptation of buying Highway 61 Revisited when HMV were selling the 180g edition for £9.99. At the same time they had John Wesley Harding and Bringing It All Back Home for the same price. That's about half the price that those products retail for.

PostPosted: Wed December 20th, 2017, 08:08 GMT 

...and just for the record, the cheapest price for a new copy HW61 on vinyl on the Amazon UK site today is £13.31 + £1.26 delivery - so £14.57 in total!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22