Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun April 22nd, 2018, 05:01 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 17:04 GMT 

bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:
Quote:
Biggest surprise from reading this message board over the years: Everyone doesn't friggin' love Modern Times?!? Seriously?

Correct. :?
Instead, everyone does friggin' love "Love And Theft". (I'm also more of a Modern Times fan, myself.)

Welcome to ER! :) 8)
Me too. Modern Times > Love and Theft.

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 17:38 GMT 

Cover down as seen from the Urban Dictionary:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... ver%20down

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 18:50 GMT 

niall wrote:

Alessandro Carrera, Professor at the University of Houston, TX, who translated Dylan's lyrics in Italian for Feltrinelli Editore - and made an extensive commentary with brilliant and long annotations, the only comment around the world for Dylan's opus - in an Italian community for Dylan's fans wrote that [I translate it in English] «"cover down" means "line yourself up in a row" (literal meaning) or "put yourself in line" (metaphorical meaning)». I think it could go with the literal meaning. Line yourself up in a row and pray through it...

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 21:47 GMT 

OK, I now understand that "cover down" means "stand in line", but I'm damned if I can see how that usage came about. Makes no sense.

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 21:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:
Quote:
Biggest surprise from reading this message board over the years: Everyone doesn't friggin' love Modern Times?!? Seriously?

Correct. :?
Instead, everyone does friggin' love "Love And Theft". (I'm also more of a Modern Times fan, myself.)

Welcome to ER! :) 8)

Welcome Blood.
Both these albums have developed so nicely live, that it's to the point of forgetting the studio versions.
And they each have their handicaps: Spirit & Floater will each send you to nap time.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 00:40 GMT 

four-armed phone wrote:
Somebody Naked wrote:
I have a confession: I'm enjoying Dylan's religious material so much that my heart sinks a little bit when Like A Rolling Stone kicks in on Disc 7.

Definitely. It's nice to have a complete concert with mixed songs, but but after you are in a roll, listening to everything, the secular songs just sound meh.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but Yes.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 10:34 GMT 

Quote:
Both these albums have developed so nicely live, that it's to the point of forgetting the studio versions.

Really? Okay, I'll ask for some "Modern Times"-centered concert recordings right now. But nobody can tell me there are versions of Workingman's Blues #2 and Ain't Talkin' that will make me forget the studio takes, because to me they're both PERFECTION.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 12:09 GMT 

samu_93 wrote:
niall wrote:

Alessandro Carrera, Professor at the University of Houston, TX, who translated Dylan's lyrics in Italian for Feltrinelli Editore - and made an extensive commentary with brilliant and long annotations, the only comment around the world for Dylan's opus - in an Italian community for Dylan's fans wrote that [I translate it in English] «"cover down" means "line yourself up in a row" (literal meaning) or "put yourself in line" (metaphorical meaning)». I think it could go with the literal meaning. Line yourself up in a row and pray through it...

No that's not what it means I can assure you. It's not a strange concept in christian circles
at all, cover down. It means cover down. Withdraw, recoup, retreat to the place of prayer,
do not make yourself vulnerable in the company of man when you feel weak, tempted and
depleted. Re-charge your spiritual batteries until your strength is renewed. I don't know how
they arrive at 'line yourself up in a row'.

Another connotation is that in Old Testament tradition, people literally covered down. Actions
for prayer in crisis or repentance would be to kneel down or prostrate oneself and cover with
sackcloth. To this day Jewish prayer shawls for covering are common. These are called talits;
coverings mostly made of fine cotton, which cover head & shoulders during times of prayer.

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 06:55 GMT 

That's a great explanation. Thank you. Now it makes sense :)

PostPosted: Sat December 2nd, 2017, 17:44 GMT 

If anyone is interested in selling their San Diego show please pm me. I'm in the US. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sun December 3rd, 2017, 01:42 GMT 

If anyone can PM a link to a San Diego download, please do...

PostPosted: Sun December 3rd, 2017, 04:10 GMT 

dpam wrote:
If anyone can PM a link to a San Diego download, please do...

Yeah, if anyone can share with me just how great a show it is, I would be grateful.

PostPosted: Tue December 5th, 2017, 23:31 GMT 

I'm pretty happy with my 2cd purchase. Nice little blast of gospel when I'm in the mood. Sure the complete box is fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 01:50 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
OK, I now understand that "cover down" means "stand in line", but I'm damned if I can see how that usage came about. Makes no sense.

From my marching band days, whenever the band director said "cover down" you were supposed make sure you were in a straight line with the other people in your row. If I'm not mistaken, this is also true for military style marching. I'm not sure how Dylan would have have become familiar enough with that saying enough to be able to write a song with it.

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 06:51 GMT 

Mail Train wrote:
mjmooney wrote:

From my marching band days, whenever the band director said "cover down" you were supposed make sure you were in a straight line with the other people in your row.
Yeah, I get that, but... WHY?

"Straighten up", yes. Or "Make right", or some such. But where does the 'cover' come into it? And what's going 'down'? Saying 'banana custard' would make as much sense.

PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 07:09 GMT 

restless fever wrote:
I'm pretty happy with my 2cd purchase. Nice little blast of gospel when I'm in the mood. Sure the complete box is fantastic.

The 2cd purchase was my choice as well and I do enjoy it. Having said that I now have a copy of the Earls Court discs and love the mix of Gospel Era songs and classics. Don't know if I'd enjoy the Toronto discs as much as they are all Gospel Era songs, even if the quality is amazing.

PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 13:20 GMT 

Yeah there was an option to download the 2cd compilation plus Earls Court and Toronto on iTunes. I probably should have gone for that in hindsight.

PostPosted: Sun December 17th, 2017, 13:28 GMT 

I just love this set, got the deluxe from Amazon! I would love to hear the bonus show that wasn't included.

Any info on a link to the San Diego show would be greatly appreciated. Rossv427@hotmail.com .

Thanks!

Ross

PostPosted: Wed December 20th, 2017, 01:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

Today’s email from Dylan, Inc.:

Trouble No More is a Must-Have

Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981 has been recommended on many publications' year-end gift lists. It's one of the most enthusiastically praised Bootleg Series releases. Get your copy today or give it to a Bob Dylan fan in your life!

ORDER NOW
Deluxe | Deluxe download | Double CD | Vinyl | Bob Dylan Store
Trouble No More - Deluxe Version

Praise for Trouble No More
“This installment of Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series, covering his rocky passage through evangelical Christianity, confronts the hardened judgement on that era that his turn in faith and censure lacked nuance, charity and groove with an emphasis on the contrarian vigor and evolving force of that righteousness in soundchecks, rehearsals and war-time touring. A full June 1981 concert in the nine-disc edition, as Dylan gradually returned to his secular songbook, affirms the constancy in moral and judgement from "Blowin' in the Wind" to "Gotta Serve Somebody," propelled by a road band of hardened R&B killers (guitarist Fred Tackett, drummer Jim Keltner, pianist Spooner Oldham) and black vocal angels.” - Rolling Stone, Best Reissue of 2017

“...the set is full of some of the greatest live vocal performances of Dylan’s career, and are backed by perhaps his best live band...” – Esquire

“Trouble No More — The Bootleg Series Vol. 13, 1979-1981 unearths concerts from Bob Dylan's Christian years, when he proclaimed his newfound faith and confounded old fans. With a band steeped in Southern soul, the songs grew funkier and more intense onstage.” – New York Times

“The massive eight-CD package features more than 100 previously unreleased live and studio recordings from what is known as Dylan's spiritual period, around the releases "Slow Train Coming," "Saved" and "Shot of Love." However, the biggest surprise may be the DVD, which includes Trouble No More: A Musical Film, combining previously unreleased footage from Dylan's 1980 tours with sermons written by Luc Sante and performed by Michael Shannon.” – Newsday

“Aside from when he first plugged in and went electric at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965, this was the most controversial period in Dylan’s career. Not everyone found it praiseworthy at the time, but it’s well worth a second listen, even if you’re not religious.” – Yahoo Music

“The more overtly religious viewpoint in many of the songs baffled many of his fans at the time, but some of the music has gained in resonance as the decades passed.” – Chicago Tribune

“Of all the music Bob Dylan has recorded, little has been more routinely maligned than the three albums of original gospel he made during his brief born-again phase in the late 70s and early 80s. Those are the years covered by this new eight-CD set, volume 13 in the ongoing Bootleg Series, though the albums themselves aren't part of it—it consists entirely of unreleased material, most of it recorded live during tours to support those gospel records. Many of the previous entries in this wonderful series have been revelatory...But Trouble No More is the first volume to make me completely reconsider the body of work upon which it's focused.” – Chicago Reader

PostPosted: Thu December 21st, 2017, 13:33 GMT 

[link found on ER main page]

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8071074/bob-dylan-trouble-no-more-gospel

interesting interview with Fred Tackett and Jim Keltner about the concerts from 1979-1981

PostPosted: Sat December 23rd, 2017, 15:03 GMT 

notdarkyet wrote:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8071074/bob-dylan-trouble-no-more-gospel

interesting interview with Fred Tackett and Jim Keltner about the concerts from 1979-1981

Excellent thnx for posting!

PostPosted: Sat December 23rd, 2017, 21:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

gerardv wrote:
notdarkyet wrote:

Excellent thnx for posting!

Yeah thanks.
I liked Fred’s quote about the Earl’s Court shows:

I remember, my wife and I were running around sightseeing and going back to the hotel on the subways. I had my guitar with me, and we were on the train with all these people who were just at the show. So we’d hear both, ‘Yeah, that was a load of bullshit!’ and ‘That was the greatest thing I’ve ever seen!’ It was wild, being with the crowd as we went home.

PostPosted: Tue December 26th, 2017, 17:58 GMT 

Precious Angel, Toronto 80. What a treat!

PostPosted: Wed December 27th, 2017, 04:33 GMT 

Live at Earl's Court is x smoking.

"Thank you! Here's another animal song. Well, a man animal."

PostPosted: Wed December 27th, 2017, 20:48 GMT 

Having lived with the box set for a few months now, these are just a few observations. What's here is often great, but I still think if you were going for eights discs it could have been: one 1979 show, one 1980 show, one 1981 show and two discs worth of unreleased songs/outtakes. While I fully understand why they were omitted, I do think Dylan's spoken interludes should also have been included.
In terms of what was included I find that most of the soundcheck/rehearsal takes don't really stand up to repeated listens and could easily have been omitted.
I know another poster raised the question but it would also be interesting to know what the criteria for selection was. I mean who decided to choose the take of I Believe In You on disc 1 that sounds like the drums were recorded underwater, when there were pristine multiple takes from the Toronto residency available? I do feel overall, if I'd gone with the 2CD, I would have felt short changed. Again, this is not to detract from the greatness of many of the selections: Slow Train (disc two), Ain't No Man Righteous (both takes), Yonder Comes Sin(btw is this a few seconds longer than the circulating version? Seemed to me like there was a line at the very end I was unfamiliar with), Caribbean Wind, Making A Liar..from the 1980 rehearsals, just how I would have ideally liked the set presented.
Personally speaking I find the '79 recordings weakest in terms of sound quality and performance. I just don't hear the greatness others do in these concerts. By April/May 1980 Dylan and band were far more confident in their performances. 1981 is something else entirely and I could easily listen to a box set of this tour alone.
Oh, most obvious (inexplicable) omissions: Let's Keep It Between Us and Rise Again (full band) from the Fall '80 tour. In fact, Fall'80 is hardly represented at all...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next