Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun November 19th, 2017, 10:43 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 12:34 GMT 

No problem in removing the wrapping paper. Can't think of any use for it.

With the box of the Harry Smith Anthology I refolded the paper strip so that it can be stored in the box and also re-stuck the external tracklist of the CDs, that had been attached onto the shrink wrap, onto a bit of card so that it too could be put in the box. It should not have been thought to be a throw-away item. I have however been completely defeated by Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music Vol.4 2-CD pack which has the identity and details of the pack printed on a bit of removable paper wrapping flapping around on the outside.

I had to return my first Tell Tale Signs Deluxe as each of the 3 CDs had clue on them presumably as a result of packing them in before the glue used to make the tight pockets had dried. And the set cost around £100!! I agree with the comment that the CDs will get scratched pulling them in and out of these pockets.

I think that the packaging of the Bootleg Series is getting out of hand, and out of price range. I would much prefer a set of CDs, each in their own cardboard cover packaged with a CD-sized booklet or two into a CD-sized box. This was done for the 'Dylan' box a while back. It's all I want.

Having said all that I am really enjoying Bob's fully-committed performances on 'Trouble No More'.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 13:10 GMT 

So for the 1966 tour release they made a drop of '65 live recordings as a free gift for buyers of the deluxe edition. Could we hope for a drop of more 79-81 full concerts?

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 13:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
So for the 1966 tour release they made a drop of '65 live recordings as a free gift for buyers of the deluxe edition. Could we hope for a drop of more 79-81 full concerts?

That was only to secure copyright. It's feasible that they could drop the JWH sessions, but that would seem like an odd combination with the gospel set.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 13:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

Anyone who's passed on this set because they 'don't like the gospel period' is seriously missing out. Make no mistake, this is top rate Dylan.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 13:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

From the liner notes:

'[Ben] Keith came back for one other rehearsal that month [Sept 1980] where Dylan and band worked again on "Yonder Comes Sin", "Caribbean Wind" and "Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar", plus covers of Lowell George's "Willin'", Willie Nelson's "Sad Song and Waltzes", "Somewhere Over The Rainbow", an old Irish Ballad called "Easy and Slow", a blues of unknown provenance entitled "Airplane", and Gordon Lightfoot's "I You Could Read My Mind", as well as a number of Dylan originals including "Every Grain of Sand", "Gotta Serve Somebody", "What Can I Do For You", "Gonna Change My Way of Thinking", "Let's Keep It Between Us" and "Fourth Time Around".'

When is this getting released?!?! :shock:

By the way, the band in question is basically Neil Young's Harvest-era Stray Gators plus Rolling Thunder Revue's T-Bone Burnett and David Mansfield.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 14:59 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Anyone who's passed on this set because they 'don't like the gospel period' is seriously missing out. Make no mistake, this is top rate Dylan.

great to see you in post after post in recent days sort of answer your own earlier question if there is essential stuff on the deluxe set which is not on the 2-disc-set

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 15:03 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:

That was only to secure copyright. It's feasible that they could drop the JWH sessions, but that would seem like an odd combination with the gospel set.

Didn't the late Ben Cartwright describe JWH as the first biblical-rock album? That's a good enough connection for me-I'll take 'em!

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 17:44 GMT 

Did you mean Bert? And that's what Dylan called it. Think it was the '76 TV Guide interview.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 17:56 GMT 

cloudofwit wrote:
Did you mean Bert? And that's what Dylan called it. Think it was the '76 TV Guide interview.

Lots of crossed synapses in my post. Thanks for settling the confusion.

Well, if Dylan said it, who are we to disagree? Let's have the Harding sessions.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 20:16 GMT 

[/quote]

To remove the wrapping paper? Yes, I did, without destroing neither the box nor the paper. The glue you can easily remove with your thumb.
The question is: The wrapping paper, is it a collector's item of it's own or can put it away?[/quote]I have a similar dilemma with the paper strip that comes wrapped around the box of the Harry Smith Anthology.[/quote]

Well, no issue removing it as you said but on mine it left round stains from the glue. Doesn't really matter of course but still...Why use glue in the first place.

The boxes sold in Sweden were without the extra wrapping.

Buying online vers. Buying in store = 0-3.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 22:26 GMT 

I'm loving this, it's an absolute treat that adds more to this era and I'm glad it's finally here. The 79/80 live material is amazing, the outtakes are a lot of fun and as enjoyable if not better in some cases then the album versions, TWO awesome versions of Caribbean Wind, a nice selection from the '81 shows.

The Earls Court show is fantastic as well, and I'll gladly eat my words after hearing the whole thing.

Another great chapter in the Bootleg Series.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 22:45 GMT 

here here, this is indeed a nice edition to the series as a whole. My only worry was that the various live tracks on disk 1 & 2 would be inconsistant in quality, but to my ears they are perfect. I can understand the few earlier comments about losing alot of atmoshphere compared to the boots, but you cant beat the clarity of blobs vocals here.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 23:01 GMT 

I've just been playing the vinyl downstairs on my proper setup, and good gawd, it kicks arse! Rocks like a son-of-a-bitch.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 05:03 GMT 

I have listened through disc 6, and the live Toronto tracks on discs 5 & 6 are the absolute highlight for me so far. The sound is exquisite - a clear step up from the sound on discs 1 & 2, which was already mostly very good. Also, Bob's singing is more compelling than what I remembered from hearing a bootleg of one of the Toronto shows. Solid Rock is perhaps taken at slightly too fast a pace, sounding a bit rushed compared to the slower tempo of the 1979 performance. But generally these performances hold their own against the 1979 versions. And as I said, the sound is absolutely astonishing. You can clearly hear all the instruments ....Fred Tackett's incredible lead guitar, Spooner Oldham's churchy organ playing in the background, every moan and aside of the backing vocalists. I'm surprised that these tracks were not used as the core of the two-disc version with additional live and studio tracks from throughout the gospel years to fill out the discs. That would have been a five-star release.

The rehearsals and sound checks on discs 3 & 4 don't do much for me, except for Rise Again which I like very much. Dylan's somewhat half-hearted vocals on the others are fine for their intended purpose, but nowhere near the passion of the live performances. It's a shame that there were no concerts with the horn section, as it would be great to hear the horn arrangements together with a compelling vocal from Dylan.

I may try to assemble a personal two-disc highlights version starting with discs 5 and 6 and filling them out with my favorite tracks from the other discs.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 07:44 GMT 

Slow Train Video:

https://www.facebook.com/bobdylan/videos/10159476777830696/

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 08:57 GMT 

Saw the DVD and I love it.

After the film you see " Abraham, John and Martin " performed by Bob and who is that woman, is it Clydie or Mona Lisa, I am not sure ???

Great stuff alltogether.

I am so sorry that I am too young and could not see any of these fantastic concerts back than.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 09:23 GMT 

115th wrote:

After the film you see " Abraham, John and Martin " performed by Bob and who is that woman, is it Clydie or Mona Lisa, I am not sure ???

It's Clydie King.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 09:30 GMT 

joepass wrote:
115th wrote:

It's Clydie King.

She was his lover at this time, wasn´t she ???

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 09:33 GMT 

critter wrote:

What's up with the aspect ratio?

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 09:46 GMT 

absolutely awesome version of Slow train, maybe the best of this arrangemet. Keltner, Drummond and Tackett kills it here...

While at it Tim Drummonds playing is so underestimated!!

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 11:17 GMT 

I'm back to from where I started - When He returns in the studio, the outtake here even trumps the album take - and Cover down on the DVD extras.

I can't care about the other Slow train coming/Saved songs. Well, I'd want to like Solid rock and Covenant woman but to my ears they never quite find the right formula. Saving grace and What can I do for you? are always dragged down by the stop/start arrangements.

But, while none of the known versions are ideal what an album Shot of love should have been with a bit of discipline;
Heart of mine
Groom
Yonder comes sin
Dead man
In the summertime
Caribbean wind
Let's keep it between us
Every grain of sand

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 12:14 GMT 

effort wrote:
But, while none of the known versions are ideal what an album Shot of love should have been with a bit of discipline;
Heart of mine
Groom
Yonder comes sin
Dead man
In the summertime
Caribbean wind
Let's keep it between us
Every grain of sand

Does that include the song Shot of Love?
Also, have we forgotten about Angelina? Great song. I almost get the
impression that people believe it was recorded for Infidels instead
of for SOL in April '81.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 12:37 GMT 

Listening to these Toronto recordings, it strikes me that this is *the* great unreleased Dylan live album.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 12:55 GMT 

gerardv wrote:
effort wrote:
Heart of mine
Groom
Yonder comes sin
Dead man
In the summertime
Caribbean wind
Let's keep it between us
Every grain of sand

Does that include the song Shot of Love?
Also, have we forgotten about Angelina? Great song. I almost get the
impression that people believe it was recorded for Infidels instead
of for SOL in April '81.

No Shot of love the tune but, oh-oh Angelina, how could I ever omit you??

But then again, Shot of love the song seems to approach some kind of explosive potential live in '81 so OK, throw it in, title track and all.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 14:15 GMT 

I've been taste-testing the TNM collection the last few days, and I apologize if I'm being redundant to what has been said on the previous 50+ pages of this thread, but this is my first take:

Wow.

I'm a Dylan fan. Right, otherwise I wouldn't be here, but I'm a finicky one - for instance his last decent disc of original material was Love & Theft imo.

But, this collection from the Gospel Tour years is revelatory of what a great band he had back then, the mix is outstanding, and I echo the sentiments in the liner notes where they write about who played on which cut and where it was recorded, where the author emphasizes how inspired everyone in the band is with shaping the new material. Like the Rolling Thunder Review, there's a sense of joy, and wonderment in exploring the new material and just pouring themselves into the live performances back then. I have long been a fan of the trilogy of Gospel discs, so I was thrilled when they finally got around to announcing this collection, but my appreciation for the sound and the spirit you find in these recordings is off-the-charts.

Just when you think, it's time to close the book on Dylan's oeuvre, and we were left to picking through remnants, a wellspring of previously hidden treasure is uncovered.

I should have known.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next