Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu November 23rd, 2017, 13:22 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 18:34 GMT 

yolacrary wrote:
The 6-cd Cutting Edge is only $103 on Amazon right now, new, and has never been north of $200. Used copies there are below $70.

in Amazon Spain it is above 200, trust me. Might be worth looking overseas, however. Thanks for the tip

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 19:12 GMT 

wormington wrote:
yolacrary wrote:
The 6-cd Cutting Edge is only $103 on Amazon right now, new, and has never been north of $200. Used copies there are below $70.

in Amazon Spain it is above 200, trust me. Might be worth looking overseas, however. Thanks for the tip

at amazon.de (Germany) it is being offered for 87,47 Euros => https://www.amazon.de/Cutting-Edge-1965 ... dpSrc=srch

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 00:07 GMT 

I really hope that Blood & Thunder is next, however, at some point, I think that we might see a massive career spanning set of Dylan Live.

One way or another, they are going to try to find ways of picking up the pieces, which have not fit into a particular release period. So, like the first installment, I think that we will eventually see some career spanning bootleg sets.

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 00:47 GMT 

I'm still waiting for a Bootleg Series from the sessions of Bob Dylan and The Times They Are A-Changin'. They have released almost all from the Freewheelin' and Another Side sessions, but not from that two albums, and I love them so much!

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 04:05 GMT 

I think that the Christmas In the Heart, Shadows In the Night, Fallen Angels, and Triplicate outtakes would make a nice bootleg series

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 15:40 GMT 

FolkieEmo wrote:
I'm still waiting for a Bootleg Series from the sessions of Bob Dylan and The Times They Are A-Changin'. They have released almost all from the Freewheelin' and Another Side sessions, but not from that two albums, and I love them so much!

If they combine let's say the rest of the acoustic albums outtakes
and the best of the unreleased live stuff from 1963-1965, you'd
have one amazing bootleg. And it's one that has to be in the pipeline,
it would make no sense for it not to be. When's the question..

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 15:45 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Good point! I only had a quick scan on ebay, but thisisjohn is right, they do look a little suspect. It's worth doing due diligence, because there are plenty of genuine bargains out there too.

That's just classic. We've got bootlegs of the bootleg series (which in turn was inspired by bootlegs).

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 16:53 GMT 

gerardv wrote:
FolkieEmo wrote:

If they combine let's say the rest of the acoustic albums outtakes
and the best of the unreleased live stuff from 1963-1965, you'd
have one amazing bootleg. And it's one that has to be in the pipeline,
it would make no sense for it not to be. When's the question..

All of this has been released on the copyright editions and the Bootleg series, I guess.

BTW
What I would like is a nice, clean official release of the Minnesota tape (december 1961), but Sony, having lost the copyright on that one, probably won't be interested.

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 17:32 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
I think that the Christmas In the Heart, Shadows In the Night, Fallen Angels, and Triplicate outtakes would make a nice bootleg series
I firmly believe that if Dylan had recorded a couple of 'regular' albums and left the 'Sinatra sessions' in the vaults, they would have taken on a cult status - and if subsequently released as a Bootleg Series set would have garnered far more critical acclaim than they have as currently released.

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 18:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

^ You are probably right about that. In the world of Dylan, nothing creates the the insanely manic sense of desire like knowing there are songs in the vault we do not yet possess.

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 21:26 GMT 

Reply to marconakken:

If you see this link: http://www.bjorner.com/DSN00020%201961.htm#DSN00110 , you'll see there are a lot of unreleased takes from the session of Bob Dylan. He even recorded Ramblin' Round during this session, but all this material remains unreleased. There's no copyright extension from 1961.

For The Times They Are A' Changin', there are a lot (A LOT!) of unreleased takes for the different songs of the sessions, even an unreleased song in any version: Key To The Highway. And what for me is the best, nine takes of Restless Farewell.

The Copiryght Extensions from 1962 and 1964 covers mostly all the sessions from Freewheelin' and Another Side, but still seems to be some unreleased takes from Freewheelin'.

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 12:08 GMT 

One basic question: How sure do we know that BS 14 is really going to cover the mid-Seventies? Any 100% reliable sources available?

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 12:34 GMT 

bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:
One basic question: How sure do we know that BS 14 is really going to cover the mid-Seventies? Any 100% reliable sources available?

The latest we have is this, dated September 25, 2017:

Nothing is definite, but next year could finally see the release of a long-awaited documentary about the famed Rolling Thunder Revue tour of 1975–76 that will be paired with a box set of music from the era. "It's a great period and there's so much music that was so well-recorded," says a source close to the Dylan camp. "I think that'll be a great companion piece to the film. We have incredible, incredible stuff. Hopefully it'll all come out next year."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... oc-w504817

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 12:42 GMT 

Yeah, I'd read that one... Thank you! So perhaps a 90% chance?

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 16:11 GMT 

I think it would be cool if they did Shot of Love (studio) and Infidels era stuff next. But I guess they've never really gone in chronologically order.

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 16:24 GMT 

thisisjohn wrote:
I think it would be cool if they did Shot of Love (studio) and Infidels era stuff next. But I guess they've never really gone in chronologically order.

I'd wager that Shot of Love has received all of the attention it's going to get, with the release BS13.

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 16:37 GMT 

yolacrary wrote:
thisisjohn wrote:

I'd wager that Shot of Love has received all of the attention it's going to get, with the release BS13.
Which is just a damn shame, considering we got maybe three or four outtakes and just a handful of live performances of any songs off that album--not to mention the complete absence of the Caribbean Wind rehearsal that still hasn't been officially released. From the stories it sounds like there'd be some other gems from those sessions, but who knows.

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 17:40 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:

Every site has a resident masochist, obviously ER is no exception to the rule!

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 18:58 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
goodmeats wrote:

Every site has a resident masochist, obviously ER is no exception to the rule!

I´d much rather get that as a bootleg series release than, say, Supper club, which is rumored to be on the plans for future releases.
Listening to Shadows in the night right now and yes it´s sweet as honey

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 19:17 GMT 

Now that The Bootleg Series managed to show how great the eras of '69-'71 and '79-'81 actually were, why not try to redeem the mid-Eighties, too? Who knows what's in the vaults...

AFTER a brilliant huge BotT/Rolling Thunder set, that is.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 00:27 GMT 

MyopicTopic wrote:
yolacrary wrote:
Which is just a damn shame, considering we got maybe three or four outtakes and just a handful of live performances of any songs off that album--not to mention the complete absence of the Caribbean Wind rehearsal that still hasn't been officially released. From the stories it sounds like there'd be some other gems from those sessions, but who knows.

Yeah, I was surprised by how few studio outtakes there are. I had assumed discs 3 & 4 were all that, but even they are mostly live. Shot of Love and Infidels combined do actually make up some of my favorites, as far as unreleased studio takes go.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 01:11 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:

This was obviously a joke. I think that Triplicate took up all the standards outtakes because there's some article that says they recorded 30 some songs for Shadows In the Night and the combined number of songs on all 3 albums is the number that was stated

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 02:52 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
^ You are probably right about that. In the world of Dylan, nothing creates the the insanely manic sense of desire like knowing there are songs in the vault we do not yet possess.

Not to get too far off-topic, but one song that Dylan has voiced regret about having released is "Ballad In Plain D".

Imagine if that song had remained in the vault, and spawned decades of rumors--"a bitter, stream-of-conscious,entirely autobiographical, eight-minute song about his break up with Suze Rotolo"--before finally showing up on a Bootleg Series release. People would be automatically expecting to hear something far more interesting than the actual song, and for this hypothetical, I wouldn't put it past Sony to hype it as such.

Thatg said, I've been known to relish the cheap thrill of simply hearing and owning something that I knew the powers that be didn't want me to have, even if it isn't all that great,

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 20:17 GMT 

Hank wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:

Not to get too far off-topic, but one song that Dylan has voiced regret about having released is "Ballad In Plain D".

Imagine if that song had remained in the vault, and spawned decades of rumors--"a bitter, stream-of-conscious,entirely autobiographical, eight-minute song about his break up with Suze Rotolo"--before finally showing up on a Bootleg Series release. People would be automatically expecting to hear something far more interesting than the actual song, and for this hypothetical, I wouldn't put it past Sony to hype it as such.

Thatg said, I've been known to relish the cheap thrill of simply hearing and owning something that I knew the powers that be didn't want me to have, even if it isn't all that great,
Good point on "Ballad in Plain D", though I think that song has been unfairly vilified over the years for its immaturity.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 01:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

So if the Official Bootleg Series, Volume 14 release is for the Christmas In the Heart sessions instead of the Blood On the Tracks is there anyone that would be disappointed by that?

Okay, I know the answer to that but had to say it. Given how great the Trouble No More release is, my enthusiasm for volume 14 is a bit less. It'll probably surprise me but I'm not sure it can live up to the expectations and hype...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next