Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu November 23rd, 2017, 13:22 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 18:34 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 16th, 2009, 12:57 GMT
Posts: 727
yolacrary wrote:
The 6-cd Cutting Edge is only $103 on Amazon right now, new, and has never been north of $200. Used copies there are below $70.

in Amazon Spain it is above 200, trust me. Might be worth looking overseas, however. Thanks for the tip


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 19:12 GMT 

Joined: Tue November 7th, 2006, 15:14 GMT
Posts: 2977
wormington wrote:
yolacrary wrote:
The 6-cd Cutting Edge is only $103 on Amazon right now, new, and has never been north of $200. Used copies there are below $70.

in Amazon Spain it is above 200, trust me. Might be worth looking overseas, however. Thanks for the tip


at amazon.de (Germany) it is being offered for 87,47 Euros => https://www.amazon.de/Cutting-Edge-1965 ... dpSrc=srch


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 00:07 GMT 

Joined: Thu June 11th, 2015, 22:48 GMT
Posts: 61
I really hope that Blood & Thunder is next, however, at some point, I think that we might see a massive career spanning set of Dylan Live.

One way or another, they are going to try to find ways of picking up the pieces, which have not fit into a particular release period. So, like the first installment, I think that we will eventually see some career spanning bootleg sets.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 00:47 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun April 16th, 2017, 03:29 GMT
Posts: 166
Location: I love the south.
I'm still waiting for a Bootleg Series from the sessions of Bob Dylan and The Times They Are A-Changin'. They have released almost all from the Freewheelin' and Another Side sessions, but not from that two albums, and I love them so much!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 04:05 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri April 29th, 2016, 01:44 GMT
Posts: 826
Location: Heck
I think that the Christmas In the Heart, Shadows In the Night, Fallen Angels, and Triplicate outtakes would make a nice bootleg series


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 15:40 GMT 

Joined: Mon March 16th, 2009, 10:46 GMT
Posts: 972
FolkieEmo wrote:
I'm still waiting for a Bootleg Series from the sessions of Bob Dylan and The Times They Are A-Changin'. They have released almost all from the Freewheelin' and Another Side sessions, but not from that two albums, and I love them so much!

If they combine let's say the rest of the acoustic albums outtakes
and the best of the unreleased live stuff from 1963-1965, you'd
have one amazing bootleg. And it's one that has to be in the pipeline,
it would make no sense for it not to be. When's the question..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 15:45 GMT 

Joined: Mon March 16th, 2009, 10:46 GMT
Posts: 972
gibsona07 wrote:
Good point! I only had a quick scan on ebay, but thisisjohn is right, they do look a little suspect. It's worth doing due diligence, because there are plenty of genuine bargains out there too.

That's just classic. We've got bootlegs of the bootleg series (which in turn was inspired by bootlegs).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 16:53 GMT 

Joined: Tue April 16th, 2013, 18:49 GMT
Posts: 635
gerardv wrote:
FolkieEmo wrote:
I'm still waiting for a Bootleg Series from the sessions of Bob Dylan and The Times They Are A-Changin'. They have released almost all from the Freewheelin' and Another Side sessions, but not from that two albums, and I love them so much!

If they combine let's say the rest of the acoustic albums outtakes
and the best of the unreleased live stuff from 1963-1965, you'd
have one amazing bootleg. And it's one that has to be in the pipeline,
it would make no sense for it not to be. When's the question..


All of this has been released on the copyright editions and the Bootleg series, I guess.

BTW
What I would like is a nice, clean official release of the Minnesota tape (december 1961), but Sony, having lost the copyright on that one, probably won't be interested.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 17:32 GMT 

Joined: Tue January 6th, 2015, 15:03 GMT
Posts: 235
goodmeats wrote:
I think that the Christmas In the Heart, Shadows In the Night, Fallen Angels, and Triplicate outtakes would make a nice bootleg series
I firmly believe that if Dylan had recorded a couple of 'regular' albums and left the 'Sinatra sessions' in the vaults, they would have taken on a cult status - and if subsequently released as a Bootleg Series set would have garnered far more critical acclaim than they have as currently released.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 18:11 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu January 24th, 2008, 15:14 GMT
Posts: 17876
Location: Where the swift don't win the race
^ You are probably right about that. In the world of Dylan, nothing creates the the insanely manic sense of desire like knowing there are songs in the vault we do not yet possess.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 21:26 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun April 16th, 2017, 03:29 GMT
Posts: 166
Location: I love the south.
Reply to marconakken:


If you see this link: http://www.bjorner.com/DSN00020%201961.htm#DSN00110 , you'll see there are a lot of unreleased takes from the session of Bob Dylan. He even recorded Ramblin' Round during this session, but all this material remains unreleased. There's no copyright extension from 1961.

For The Times They Are A' Changin', there are a lot (A LOT!) of unreleased takes for the different songs of the sessions, even an unreleased song in any version: Key To The Highway. And what for me is the best, nine takes of Restless Farewell.

The Copiryght Extensions from 1962 and 1964 covers mostly all the sessions from Freewheelin' and Another Side, but still seems to be some unreleased takes from Freewheelin'.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 12:08 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed August 23rd, 2017, 18:34 GMT
Posts: 220
Location: I followed you beneath the stars
One basic question: How sure do we know that BS 14 is really going to cover the mid-Seventies? Any 100% reliable sources available?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 12:34 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon July 31st, 2006, 09:13 GMT
Posts: 2121
Location: out on Decatur Hill
bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:
One basic question: How sure do we know that BS 14 is really going to cover the mid-Seventies? Any 100% reliable sources available?

The latest we have is this, dated September 25, 2017:

Nothing is definite, but next year could finally see the release of a long-awaited documentary about the famed Rolling Thunder Revue tour of 1975–76 that will be paired with a box set of music from the era. "It's a great period and there's so much music that was so well-recorded," says a source close to the Dylan camp. "I think that'll be a great companion piece to the film. We have incredible, incredible stuff. Hopefully it'll all come out next year."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... oc-w504817


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 12:42 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed August 23rd, 2017, 18:34 GMT
Posts: 220
Location: I followed you beneath the stars
Yeah, I'd read that one... Thank you! So perhaps a 90% chance?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 16:11 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri April 13th, 2012, 13:23 GMT
Posts: 986
Location: San Jose, CA.
I think it would be cool if they did Shot of Love (studio) and Infidels era stuff next. But I guess they've never really gone in chronologically order.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 16:24 GMT 

Joined: Thu September 19th, 2013, 18:24 GMT
Posts: 208
thisisjohn wrote:
I think it would be cool if they did Shot of Love (studio) and Infidels era stuff next. But I guess they've never really gone in chronologically order.


I'd wager that Shot of Love has received all of the attention it's going to get, with the release BS13.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 16:37 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat November 4th, 2017, 00:42 GMT
Posts: 7
yolacrary wrote:
thisisjohn wrote:
I think it would be cool if they did Shot of Love (studio) and Infidels era stuff next. But I guess they've never really gone in chronologically order.


I'd wager that Shot of Love has received all of the attention it's going to get, with the release BS13.
Which is just a damn shame, considering we got maybe three or four outtakes and just a handful of live performances of any songs off that album--not to mention the complete absence of the Caribbean Wind rehearsal that still hasn't been officially released. From the stories it sounds like there'd be some other gems from those sessions, but who knows.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 17:40 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 3rd, 2010, 17:44 GMT
Posts: 1103
goodmeats wrote:
I think that the Christmas In the Heart, Shadows In the Night, Fallen Angels, and Triplicate outtakes would make a nice bootleg series

Every site has a resident masochist, obviously ER is no exception to the rule!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 18:58 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 16th, 2009, 12:57 GMT
Posts: 727
dvdunplugged wrote:
goodmeats wrote:
I think that the Christmas In the Heart, Shadows In the Night, Fallen Angels, and Triplicate outtakes would make a nice bootleg series

Every site has a resident masochist, obviously ER is no exception to the rule!

I´d much rather get that as a bootleg series release than, say, Supper club, which is rumored to be on the plans for future releases.
Listening to Shadows in the night right now and yes it´s sweet as honey


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 19:17 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed August 23rd, 2017, 18:34 GMT
Posts: 220
Location: I followed you beneath the stars
Now that The Bootleg Series managed to show how great the eras of '69-'71 and '79-'81 actually were, why not try to redeem the mid-Eighties, too? Who knows what's in the vaults...

AFTER a brilliant huge BotT/Rolling Thunder set, that is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 00:27 GMT 

Joined: Thu September 19th, 2013, 18:24 GMT
Posts: 208
MyopicTopic wrote:
yolacrary wrote:
I'd wager that Shot of Love has received all of the attention it's going to get, with the release BS13.
Which is just a damn shame, considering we got maybe three or four outtakes and just a handful of live performances of any songs off that album--not to mention the complete absence of the Caribbean Wind rehearsal that still hasn't been officially released. From the stories it sounds like there'd be some other gems from those sessions, but who knows.


Yeah, I was surprised by how few studio outtakes there are. I had assumed discs 3 & 4 were all that, but even they are mostly live. Shot of Love and Infidels combined do actually make up some of my favorites, as far as unreleased studio takes go.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 01:11 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri April 29th, 2016, 01:44 GMT
Posts: 826
Location: Heck
goodmeats wrote:
I think that the Christmas In the Heart, Shadows In the Night, Fallen Angels, and Triplicate outtakes would make a nice bootleg series


This was obviously a joke. I think that Triplicate took up all the standards outtakes because there's some article that says they recorded 30 some songs for Shadows In the Night and the combined number of songs on all 3 albums is the number that was stated


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 02:52 GMT 

Joined: Fri January 6th, 2006, 05:56 GMT
Posts: 95
Untrodden Path wrote:
^ You are probably right about that. In the world of Dylan, nothing creates the the insanely manic sense of desire like knowing there are songs in the vault we do not yet possess.

Not to get too far off-topic, but one song that Dylan has voiced regret about having released is "Ballad In Plain D".

Imagine if that song had remained in the vault, and spawned decades of rumors--"a bitter, stream-of-conscious,entirely autobiographical, eight-minute song about his break up with Suze Rotolo"--before finally showing up on a Bootleg Series release. People would be automatically expecting to hear something far more interesting than the actual song, and for this hypothetical, I wouldn't put it past Sony to hype it as such.

Thatg said, I've been known to relish the cheap thrill of simply hearing and owning something that I knew the powers that be didn't want me to have, even if it isn't all that great,


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 20:17 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat November 4th, 2017, 00:42 GMT
Posts: 7
Hank wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:
^ You are probably right about that. In the world of Dylan, nothing creates the the insanely manic sense of desire like knowing there are songs in the vault we do not yet possess.

Not to get too far off-topic, but one song that Dylan has voiced regret about having released is "Ballad In Plain D".

Imagine if that song had remained in the vault, and spawned decades of rumors--"a bitter, stream-of-conscious,entirely autobiographical, eight-minute song about his break up with Suze Rotolo"--before finally showing up on a Bootleg Series release. People would be automatically expecting to hear something far more interesting than the actual song, and for this hypothetical, I wouldn't put it past Sony to hype it as such.

Thatg said, I've been known to relish the cheap thrill of simply hearing and owning something that I knew the powers that be didn't want me to have, even if it isn't all that great,
Good point on "Ballad in Plain D", though I think that song has been unfairly vilified over the years for its immaturity.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 01:33 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu January 24th, 2008, 15:14 GMT
Posts: 17876
Location: Where the swift don't win the race
So if the Official Bootleg Series, Volume 14 release is for the Christmas In the Heart sessions instead of the Blood On the Tracks is there anyone that would be disappointed by that?


Okay, I know the answer to that but had to say it. Given how great the Trouble No More release is, my enthusiasm for volume 14 is a bit less. It'll probably surprise me but I'm not sure it can live up to the expectations and hype...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], FieldingMellish


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group