Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 18th, 2017, 03:05 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 03:20 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
thisisjohn wrote:
Those of you with the San Diego bonus set, is it true that In the Garden is incomplete?

There is an incomplete version from that night and a full version from the night before.

Oh okay, I thought they just decide to release a full show...that they didn't have a full version of and release like that.

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 04:54 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:

What is this wrapping paper good for? Just for the parental guidance? What are the "brief references to violence"? The violence of a summer's night?

No I think it's actually the 'one way ticket to burn', 'beg God to kill them and they won't be able to die' type lines.
Brief & cryptic death threats, they should have said :)

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 05:19 GMT 

New album shows that Bob Dylan’s spiritual era was no joke
BY WALTER TUNIS
Kentucky.com

“I can manipulate people as well as anybody,” Bob Dylan sings near the halfway point of “Trouble No More: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 13, 1979-1981.” “Bust ’em and burn ’em, twist ’em and turn ’em.”

That’s a pretty radical proclamation coming from a folk torchbearer in the midst of a religious conversion. Admittedly, Dylan was singing about self-preservation of the soul, and the song, “Ain’t Gonna Go to Hell for Anybody,” is one of several unreleased works on “Trouble No More” that chronicles perhaps the most confounding chapter in his career. That’s why it’s hard not to take the above lyric at face value and agree that Dylan, once the most integral folk figure of his generation, was just leading us all on.

But “Trouble No More” confirms that the 2 1/2 -year stretch, Dylan’s “gospel period,” was no joke. In fact, the clarity of these performances comes with an often stinging precision that his concerts would soon lose forever. That explains why “Trouble No More” contains songs he cut for his three studio albums of the era — 1979’s “Slow Train Coming,” 1980’s “Saved” and 1981’s “Shot of Love” — but not the actual recordings. The music is instead retold through unreleased concert versions from those years with an extended band that included guitarist Fred Tackett (a longtime member of Little Feat) and veteran pianist Spooner Oldham. The late-1981 performances add keyboardist Al Kooper, a returnee from mid-’60s Dylan sessions that, when contrasted against the music on “Trouble No More,” seem part of a very distant lifetime.

There is a curious arc to this music. The tunes from “Slow Train Coming” seem allegorical today, rooted as much in serene Southern soul as in actual gospel. “I Believe in You” retains the coolness and uncertainty of the studio version. Same for “When He Returns,” which wears its spiritual warning (“Don’t you cry, don’t you die and don’t you burn”) alongside sparse, piano-dominated support.

The 1980 performances of the “Saved” material, much like the studio album, toss Dylan completely to the heavens. You hear it in the tabernacle treatment of the title tune to “Saved,” while “Solid Rock” is all fire and electric grit, a testament set to a Bo Diddley beat with Dylan sounding at home as crusader.

By “Shot of Love,” changes were brewing. The tone of the songs grew darker (“Dead Man, Dead Man”) and the performances of the gospel fare from the previous tours deviated wildly from their original arrangements (the Southern rock and soul revision of “Slow Train,” for instance). No wonder then that the album-closing “Every Grain of Sand,” the most enduring song of this era, is sung with profound and weary introspection.
It’s as if Dylan had appropriated all he could (or needed) from his spiritual rebirth and was about to catch the next slow train out of his gospel trajectory.

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 08:12 GMT 

notdarkyet wrote:
a 4:23 min video of "What Can I Do for You?" at Kleinhans Music Hall in Buffalo (which is on the DVD) is on top of the NYT review
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/arts/music/bob-dylan-bootleg-series-trouble-no-more.html

I watched the DVD yesterday, maybe not close enough. My point is: with the exception of Shot Of Love (and of course the Jesus Met The Woman rehearls), I thought all clips are from the same concert. That's because they are wearing the same cloths in every clip. Or is this not the case? Neither did I notice any difference in the stage layout or how the footage was filmed.

Having said that, all this looks to me like I had seen those clips before in the video from Toronto.

What's your opinion?

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 08:17 GMT 

The could have easily fitted Let's Keep It Between Us on disc 4, so I wonder if it was a conscious decision to leave it off? Also a shame they didn't include a live version of Rise Again. The acoustic version is nice enough but it doesn't come close to the power of the live renditions.

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 09:42 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
Arrrrgghh.

I just ordered the deluxe set from Amazon.

By mistake.

I was reading the reviews on my phone, went back to that page, and while trying to scroll down, hit the "one click buy now" button.

Arriving tomorrow.

Now I just have to find a spare 134 quid...
And my next question is:

When the delivery man turns up with the package, and my wife asks how much it cost, what shall I tell her? :)

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 10:02 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:
notdarkyet wrote:
a 4:23 min video of "What Can I Do for You?" at Kleinhans Music Hall in Buffalo (which is on the DVD) is on top of the NYT review
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/arts/music/bob-dylan-bootleg-series-trouble-no-more.html

I watched the DVD yesterday, maybe not close enough. My point is: with the exception of Shot Of Love (and of course the Jesus Met The Woman rehearls), I thought all clips are from the same concert. That's because they are wearing the same cloths in every clip. Or is this not the case? Neither did I notice any difference in the stage layout or how the footage was filmed.

Having said that, all this looks to me like I had seen those clips before in the video from Toronto.

What's your opinion?

I had copied the location info from the NYT page (underneath the video). The deluxe edition does not give any printed location info at all. But the video footage on the DVD is a different one than the widely circulated Toronto footage (which I had first purchased on VHS tape back in the early 90s at a record fair; had to go to a friend's house to watch it).

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 10:08 GMT 

notdarkyet wrote:
I had copied the location info from the NYT page (underneath the video). The deluxe edition does not give any printed location info at all. But the video footage on the DVD is a different one than the widely circulated Toronto footage (which I had first purchased on VHS tape back in the early 90s at a record fair; had to go to a friend's house to watch it).

Thank you.
Well, I think I have to give the old Toronto Video another look.

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 11:26 GMT 

I listened to some of the Buffalo 80 boot last night in a rough comparison. I can't say 100%, but I'm fairly sure the performances match. Certainly Pressing On sounds like the same performance from the Buffalo boot as is in the DVD performance.

Don't know when the Shot Of Love was recorded, must have been 81 though..,

And if they had a film crew around for the Buffalo show, and were thinking of a release of this material, it's not unreasonable to think that they might film the rehearsal before (or around) the Buffalo show to capture extra moments while they had the film crew... hence the versions of Jesus Met The Woman At The Well and Abraham, Martin And John (that last of which is absolutely fantastic, gave me goose bumps).

So I would say that yes, other than Shot Of Love, most if not all of this material would/must have been filmed around Buffalo time. April 30th/May 1st 1980.

That's my theory until it's disproved anyway!

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 12:01 GMT 

I watched some of the extras yesterday. They definitely use more than one concert; but edit it to seem otherwise. Sudden but subtle clothes changes, not-quite-there dubbing. It's well done, but more than one source.

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 13:16 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:
notdarkyet wrote:

Thank you.
Well, I think I have to give the old Toronto Video another look.

Link?

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 13:26 GMT 

FieldingMellish wrote:

Link?

No link, it's on my shelf.

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 13:29 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
mjmooney wrote:
Arrrrgghh.

By mistake.

I was reading the reviews on my phone, went back to that page, and while trying to scroll down, hit the "one click buy now" button.

Arriving tomorrow.

And my next question is:

When the delivery man turns up with the package, and my wife asks how much it cost, what shall I tell her? :)

Make as if you didnt hear the question and tell her instead that her hairdo makes her look particularly beautiful today. Chicks always fall for that

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 13:31 GMT 

wormington wrote:
mjmooney wrote:
[quote="mjmooney"]Arrrrgghh.

By mistake.

Arriving tomorrow.

And my next question is:

Make as if you didnt hear the question and tell her instead that her hairdo makes her look particularly beautiful today. Chicks always fall for that[/quote]Funnily enough, she has just had her hair done.

However, after 35 years of marriage, that trick would arouse instant suspicion...

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 14:46 GMT 
Titanium Member

It's a shame that Bob never attempted a full take of Satisfied Mind during the Saved sessions, as far as we know.

Also, I'm really enjoying the track by track liner notes.

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 16:55 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
wormington wrote:
Make as if you didnt hear the question and tell her instead that her hairdo makes her look particularly beautiful today. Chicks always fall for that
Funnily enough, she has just had her hair done.

However, after 35 years of marriage, that trick would arouse instant suspicion...

Then tell her that she moves something in you that you can´t control

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 17:05 GMT 

I am willing to bet that some people have not seen the superb video of him singing Abraham, Martin & John. I am sure there will be people who turn it off when the closing titles are on.

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 19:17 GMT 

wormington wrote:
Then tell her that she moves something in you that you can´t control

"She bought it!"

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 19:17 GMT 

Well, I'm five tracks into disc 1, and - so far - I'm, errr... converted. Utterly astonishing performances from both Dylan and the musicians. Pure blues power. Wow.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 02:08 GMT 

toilandblood546 wrote:
Hearing the live Caribbean Wind in this quality is a holy grail for me. I'm giddy
It's only on thw vinyl release?! Devils :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 04:34 GMT 

AndoDoug wrote:
toilandblood546 wrote:
Hearing the live Caribbean Wind in this quality is a holy grail for me. I'm giddy
It's only on thw vinyl release?! Devils :twisted:

The live Caribbean Wind is on all packages from the two disc to the deluxe version, so whatever version you get you won't have to worry!

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 06:03 GMT 

It's flabbergasting how great this set is. I'm speechless..

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 06:23 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Thanks for the glue advice!

Anyone else tried this? Don't know if I dare!

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 08:17 GMT 

Merlin wrote:
gibsona07 wrote:
Thanks for the glue advice!

To remove the wrapping paper? Yes, I did, without destroing neither the box nor the paper. The glue you can easily remove with your thumb.
The question is: The wrapping paper, is it a collector's item of it's own or can put it away?

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 08:51 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:
Merlin wrote:
[quote="gibsona07"]Thanks for the glue advice!

To remove the wrapping paper? Yes, I did, without destroing neither the box nor the paper. The glue you can easily remove with your thumb.
The question is: The wrapping paper, is it a collector's item of it's own or can put it away?[/quote]I have a similar dilemma with the paper strip that comes wrapped around the box of the Harry Smith Anthology.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next