28 North America Summer
15 USA Fall
----
71 Total 2017

---
Bob plays the new Nassau Coliseum:
Secrets and Fun Facts

Newsday

On November 8th, Bob Dylan will take to the stage at the newly renovated Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Here are some fun venue facts and secrets:

It was October 2015 when Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum closed, with two years of renovations to come. As of April 5, 2017, the now-named NYCB LIVE, home of the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum will once again open to the public — and there are some things you might not have known or will get a chance to see. Here are some views and tidbits of information about the local arena whose return is not just big news, but a moment in Long Island history.

Before Billy Joel
The announcement that rock icon and Long Island native Billy Joel would officially open NYCB LIVE, home of the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, on Wednesday, April 5, 2017 is common knowledge, but he'll not be the first act in the new Coliseum. During a media event on Friday, March 31, 2017, the Uniondale High School band and the school's show choir Rhythm of The Knight performed.

Eight seats, forever empty
NYCB LIVE, the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, will honor those who have served the country with its name, but the new Coliseum will also pay tribute with eight seats that will remain unused at all times. Four are located on the east side of the venue, four on the west--and each seat is marked with a patch and a plaque as designation, like this one for the Air Force. The seven other seats will pay homage to the Army, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard, as well as prisoners of war, those missing in action and the more than 500 Long Islanders who lost their lives during the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks.

A rare view in the Nassau Coliseum
Not everyone gets a chance to sit or stand directly underneath the center ceiling scoreboard in the Coliseum, much less get very close to the massive multi-screen device. During a media event Friday, March 31, 2017, the high-definition LED scoreboard was lowered close to the floor. Here's a direct look at the bottom of the board, from about three feet away.

104 top to bottom
Getting front-row seats is not always easy to achieve, and if your seat is at the top, in the highest row, you'll need to climb 56 steps from the mezzanine-level entrance. However, should you happen to score the seats closest to the floor, you'll need to descend 48 steps.

A view from the top
It's a question asked about most concert venues and sports arenas: "How's the view from the nosebleed seats?' Instead of just trusting the opinions of friends, family and otherwise, here's the view from a seat in Section 204, in the top row.

About the shiny face-lift
The look of the new Coliseum is a radical departure from the venue's former stone walls, pillars and banners. It is now encircled by vertical fins of natural aluminum installed by the New York City-based SHoP architecture firm, which says there are 4,700 fins in total. The swooping and lined pattern is inspired by the look of Long Island's beaches (especially sand dunes and beach grass), and although the metallic aspect is nothing like the original Coliseum look, the pillars used to build the arena the first time remain in place, under the new aluminum grill.

The Tunnel IS there, but...
It's been a well-circulated urban rumor that a tunnel exists between the Coliseum and its neighbor, the Long Island Marriott hotel at 101 James Doolittle Blvd. in Uniondale. Its existence has always been debated, but a Coliseum representative has confirmed that it does exist, and was used to move performers staying at the hotel to and from the Coliseum. The representative was unable to confirm if it will once again serve as a passageway for performers, or if it will end up an underground relic.

Celebrity hangouts
The backstage section of the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum has been revamped to help make the moments for performers before and after shows comfortable. The quartet of suites, known as the Artists Quarters, feature plush furniture, TVs, fireplaces and dressing space. The largest of the four spaces even has a kitchen equipped with a soft serve ice cream machine.

A “high water” mark
According to Coliseum representatives, NBA regulations stipulate that an arena's locker room showers must be nine feet tall, due to the above-average height of the average National Basketball Association player. The new Coliseum meets this requirement, as well as placing the knobs four feet above the floor. Should an NBA franchise ever play in the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, the personal cleansing facilities are legally ready to go.

Imagine how many brushstrokes it took
Painting an arena such as the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum is no easy feat. It took 10,000 gallons of paint to get the job done, according to a Coliseum news release. This photo is from Sept. 14, 2016, during construction.

The Islanders’ logo: a map to the Coliseum
The Islanders may no longer play at the Nassau Coliseum, but the venue's legacy remains connected to the hockey team's classic -- and current -- logo. When looking at the team's symbol, note where the letter "I" points: its top is directed toward Uniondale and the location of the Coliseum. The rendering of Long Island in the Islanders' emblem only includes Nassau and Suffolk counties, and although Brooklyn is geographically on LI, the logo was not updated to include the Barclays Center, where the Islanders currently play. (As it turns out, much of Montauk is also cut off the logo.)

https://www.newsday.com/entertainment/n ... 1.13346912

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 16:12 GMT 

Anyone gone there from NYC before? Wondering what the best way to get there is. I could drive, but that sounds like a drag in rush hour. But so do the public transportation options on the website:

Quote:
Take the Long Island Rail Road to the Hempstead train station, walk one (1) block to the Hempstead Bus Terminal. Take either the N70, N71, or N72 bus, which will drop you off on Hempstead Turnpike opposite NYCB LIVE, or take the LIRR to Westbury train station and secure a taxi or car service.

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 17:25 GMT 

I used the 1st option when I went there a few years ago from Manhattan. It was a lengthy commute with a little bit of a walk from the bus stop to the arena.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 00:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

You at this one Sphere?

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 01:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'll be there. I may tape. I kind of lost the will and way. If not, I'll live setlist you.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 02:01 GMT 

Might go, haven't decided yet. What does everyone think?

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 02:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

Go if you can. That's a no-brainah.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 02:28 GMT 

I went recently to Bloomington and had a great time. I would encourage any fan that had the means to attend.

Of course, on the way home I hit a curb and did over $1,000 damage to my car. So, in all the trip cost me way more than I bargained for. ☹️

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 02:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

Those damn curbs can jump out ya.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 02:37 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:

I decided to go :lol:

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 02:58 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
You at this one Sphere?

No but I'm curious about the renovations that were done to the arena. I was there for a hockey game before the Islanders moved to Brooklyn. I really liked how juiced the building was during the game. The facility not so much.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 14:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

Sphere wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
You at this one Sphere?

No but I'm curious about the renovations that were done to the arena. I was there for a hockey game before the Islanders moved to Brooklyn. I really liked how juiced the building was during the game. The facility not so much.

Almost had it.
Just fell apart on me last night while
playing ‘Don’t Fall Apart On Me Tonight.’
Will shoot to cross paths with at least one show before this Fall Tour is out.
Won’t give up scheming ways to make something happen.

Liking Italy in the Spring though!

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 15:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

Jal015 wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:

I decided to go :lol:

That’s excellent Jal.
Very happy for you. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 15:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

yay !
hope everyone has a great night

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 01:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

I’m here. It’s mighty cold out. I may have caught pneumonia waiting to get in.

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 01:49 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:

It will be worth it!

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 02:21 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:
Are you live tweeting?

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 02:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

Pneumonia, Schmonia!

You're lucky, enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 03:17 GMT 

If I'm right on the time zone, things should be wrapping up soon! Hope everyone had a great time....grave

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 03:21 GMT 

Uniondale, New York
Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum
November 8, 2017

1. Things Have Changed
2. It Ain't Me, Babe
3. Highway 61 Revisited
4. Why Try To Change Me Now
5. Summer Days
6. Melancholy Mood
7. Honest With Me
8. Tryin' To Get To Heaven
9. Once Upon A Time
10. Pay In Blood
11. Tangled Up In Blue
12. September Of My Years
13. Early Roman Kings
14. Soon After Midnight
15. Desolation Row
16. Thunder On The Mountain
17. Autumn Leaves
18. Love Sick

(encore)
19. Blowin' In The Wind
20. Ballad Of A Thin Man

Thanks to Ed & Michelle and Jayne Watson for the phone calls.

Set lists, reviews, and information on
upcoming concerts can be found on the Bob Links
Tour Infomation page located at:
http://www.boblinks.com

Bob Links Main Page:
http://www.boblinks.com

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 03:23 GMT 

Within four minutes of my post! Thanks for never leaving us waiting, Bill.....grave

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 03:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

50,000 fans can't be wrong luv yuz https://www.instagram.com/p/BbQoITIlQ_a ... elisapucar

Dion & The Belmonts I Wonder Why 1958 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAPEfdjvTqE

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 04:02 GMT 

Bob was putting on a great show. Parking was a rip off though: $30.00 bucks. Mavis band was a bit loud. I didn't warm up until her last song Take me there. She did take us all to Bob and I sure am glad I saw the old man one more time. I ALMOST fell in love again, but thank God it was only ALMOST. Got a t-shirt for 10 bucks. It's a good thing I only go out once a year or so. :)

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 05:51 GMT 

https://twitter.com/mavisstaples/status ... 0553392129 a video Mavis posted. I've said it before and I'll say it again, she's a queen

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 12:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

I made it in for most of Mavis. Her voice wasn’t mixed well, so I was worried for Bob. I couldn’t hear him so well at Forrest Hills last year. Big venues scare me and the Nassau Coliseum is no exception. It was to be torn down last year and rebuilt. I understand the method of not wasting materials, but all they did was replace the seats and a fresh coat of paint and say it’s the “New NYCB Theatre.” Quintessential Long Island. I wouldn’t have it any other way. I grew up here.

Bob was great. Usually, it takes a bit for him to warm up but he was clear from the start. It Ain’t Me Babe was sung so tenderly and lovely.
I was very surprised by the rockers having a surfer rock approach to them. Tryin’ to Get to Heaven was a highlight.
I was very surprised by the rockers having a surfer rock approach to them. The only song that didn’t benefit was Tangled Up in Blue for me. Desolation Row may not have been the best version I’ve heard lately, but it took me to a higher place. The Sinatra stuff was wonderfully sung. It felt like a stage show. Bob plays the old Bob, he plays the new Bob, and then he takes you way back. He’s in conversation with himself by the fire place. September of My Years has that rough spot right out of the gate on the record, but he hit those notes last night.

I taped the whole thing and it sounds pretty good. I’ll post tonight. I had to be in Queens by 7:30am so I didn’t have much time to do anything when I got home last night.

Note to self: Don’t eat hot dogs at the Nassau Coliseum.