Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu November 23rd, 2017, 07:12 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 14:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

My copy just arrived! :D

I have to say, I'm no at all impressed with the packaging. First of all, the amazon package was the flimsiest piece of cardboard I think I've ever seen. It was already half open by the time I got it. Luckily, there's only a slight bump on one of the corners of the boxset.

Secondly, the wrap around paper they've added at the last minute to account for the PG sign is really cheap looking and already half fallen off on mine - yet I don't want to remove it as it'll leave horrible dods of glue.

It seems like this was thrown together at the last minute. Why not just delay the release by a couple of weeks and get it right?

EDIT: Having said that, the books inside are stunning. It's just a shame that they couldn't have done the cover properly.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 14:53 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:

I have to say, I'm no at all impressed with the packaging. First of all, the amazon package was the flimsiest piece of cardboard I think I've ever seen. It was already half open by the time I got it. Luckily, there's only a slight bump on one of the corners of the boxset.

Secondly, the wrap around paper they've added at the last minute to account for the PG sign is really cheap looking and already half fallen off on mine - yet I don't want to remove it as it'll leave horrible dods of glue.

It seems like this was thrown together at the last minute. Why not just delay the release by a couple of weeks and get it right?

EDIT: Having said that, the books inside are stunning. It's just a shame that they couldn't have done the cover properly.
You barely got your Amazon order? Did you pre-order it or place an order after release day?

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 14:56 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:

if you carefully peel the outer paper off at each glue dot, it should come off no problem. And the glue is designed to roll off without leaving a mark, kind of like blu-tak. That's what I just did with mine and it worked. :-)

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 15:06 GMT 

There's a really strange mannerism that crept into his voice by the end of '78. Not sure how to describe it but, on certain words. mainly ones where Dylan is trying to hold the note, the effect is akin to a sheep baaing. In any case it's still evident in '79 and ''80 and detracts from the overall power of his vocals despite the obvious commitment to the material.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 15:22 GMT 

ApocalypseKurtz wrote:
Mostly rubbish. When Bob concentrated and sang quietly (some of The Times, Blowin in the Wind, and others) or played his one acoustic song (Gates of Eden) he sounded good. But the toured is marked by Bob's screaming yelping howl, like a dog in hea.

Conversely 1979-1981 has shown more restraint and attentive singing, especially 1979.

In that way every tour has it's downside. During Rolling Thunder there
was this tendency to finish every sentence with a shout, some of
the songs just ended up fast paced shouty versions of themselves
(Isis & Durango just being two examples). He tended to do the same
thing with Changing of the Guards in '78. Regardless of the weaknesses
of 1978, the tour saw Dylan in expansive and bold form, experimenting
with form and presentation through a variety of styles, and serving up
some of the most unguarded and passionate vocals of his career up to
that point.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 15:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thanks for the glue advice!

This is absolutely top drawer Dylan. Brilliant music.

What strikes me, reading the typewritten drafts of lyrics included in the book is how many brilliant lines fell by the wayside in this period. Not only are the songs brimming with brilliant turns of phrase, but the early drafts of lyrics are filled with line after line on brilliant lyrics that never made it to tape. What a man our Bob is!

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 15:32 GMT 

Quote:
What strikes me, reading the typewritten drafts of lyrics included in the book is how many brilliant lines fell by the wayside in this period. Not only are the songs brimming with brilliant turns of phrase, but the early drafts of lyrics are filled with line after line on brilliant lyrics that never made it to tape. What a man our Bob is!

Wow, sounds amazing! Would you mind sharing some of these brilliant turns of phrase for those among us who don't own the deluxe edition? :D

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 15:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

Quote:
'sometimes / I feel so outnumbered/
i get weary from slings & arrows that I'm dodgin'

bridges burnin/ i'm turnin & tossin/ crossin
thru darkness with cat's eyes watchin'

& there's a slow train a-comin up around the bend'

Quote:
'in some hospital room i can see two judges kneeling
dissambled & branded / dewy eyed & lefthanded
more horror than I can absorb & I got a tendency not to show my feelings'

Quote:
'I've seen snakes in the grass/& the rulin class/
pass state laws in the men's room of the greyhound bus depot'

Quote:
'heard the last moan of a boxer,the last steps of an overweight dancer'

'she never once lowered her standards (you could never tell it by her quiet conversation'

'locked into a time zone with a slightly high temperature, I've seen brave men standing around like furniture'

'I always felt a little uneasy around lawyers and 3rd rate politicians
I guess it depends on what ya think freedom is & I don't like to make quick decisions'

Quote:
'She was the rose of Sharon from paradise lost
mistress of the fortress from the city of the cross'

'did you ever have a dream that you couldn't explain
did you ever meet your accusers face in the rain'

'our shadows grew closer til they touched on the foor
prodical sons sitting next to the door
preaching resistance waiting for the night to arrive'

'Forsaken and beautiful without any complaint
among drunken dreamers and hard line saints'

This stuff was just pouring out of him at the time.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 16:17 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:

What is this wrapping paper good for? Just for the parental guidance? What are the "brief references to violence"? The violence of a summer's night?

Last edited by h.egbert on Wed November 8th, 2017, 16:19 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 16:18 GMT 

Does anyon know if any clips from the DVD exist online? I wanna sneak a peak! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 16:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

h.egbert wrote:
What is this wraping paper good for? Just for the parental guidance? What are the "brief references to violence"? The violence of a summer's night?

I think it's just a legal requirement of selling DVDs in the UK, and Sony haven't realised until the last minute.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 16:20 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
h.egbert wrote:
What is this wraping paper good for? Just for the parental guidance? What are the "brief references to violence"? The violence of a summer's night?

I think it's just a legal requirement of selling DVDs in the UK, and Sony haven't realised until the last minute.

I always thought those PG things are an US thing. I might be wrong.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 16:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

The US ratings are slightly different, PG is the British Board of Film Classification. http://www.cbbfc.co.uk/film-ratings

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 16:46 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Quote:
'She was the rose of Sharon from paradise lost
mistress of the fortress from the city of the cross'

'did you ever have a dream that you couldn't explain
did you ever meet your accusers face in the rain'

Was 'the rose of sharon' line in the live version or rehearsal? I always loved that line in the cheesy Biograph variation, and would love to hear it in 79/80 glory.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 17:01 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
The US ratings are slightly different, PG is the British Board of Film Classification. http://www.cbbfc.co.uk/film-ratings

thanks for the info

Post subject: Saved!
PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 17:53 GMT 

Just a quick note to say I dithered mightily before buying this, wasn't thrilled by any of the previews, finally plumped for the 2 CD version and you can now consider me converted. I should have had faith. Great music.

Still hate the price tiering, and I don't know that all the out-takes on the deluxe are really worth having, but this live stuff is sublime.

Praise Bob!

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 17:58 GMT 

^ but then you didn't get Cover down, pray through, right?

Izzebestone, I think

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 18:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

No regrets about about the 8cd at all, despite dithering over pre-ordering it. Lovely set, lovely books, lovely package (once you've removed the paper) and incredible music.

It'll be great in 20 years time when we've got a nice little boxset like this for every period of Bob's career.

I also urge Sony to keep releasing DVDs as part of the bootleg series.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 18:22 GMT 

Arrrrgghh.

I just ordered the deluxe set from Amazon.

By mistake.

I was reading the reviews on my phone, went back to that page, and while trying to scroll down, hit the "one click buy now" button.

Arriving tomorrow.

Now I just have to find a spare 134 quid...

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 18:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

mjmooney wrote:
Arrrrgghh.

By mistake.

I was reading the reviews on my phone, went back to that page, and while trying to scroll down, hit the "one click buy now" button.

Arriving tomorrow.

If I was being a cynic...

Listen to the set over the next two days, or even rip it to your computer. Then, take one of the little dods of glue that is used to fix the cover on and stick it on one of the discs. Complain to amazon and send photos. Return for a full refund.

That's just my cynical hypothetical scenario...

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 18:31 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
mjmooney wrote:
Arrrrgghh.

By mistake.

Arriving tomorrow.

If I was being a cynic...

Listen to the set over the next two days, or even rip it to your computer. Then, take one of the little dods of glue that is used to fix the cover on and stick it on one of the discs. Complain to amazon and send photos. Return for a full refund.

That's just my cynical hypothetical scenario...
Evil, unscrupulous and dishonest.

I like it. :)

However, I know once I see it on the shelf next to the other BS box sets, I'll want to keep it...

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 18:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

It is indeed a lovely thing to have on your shelf.

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

(I sort of feel bad for my unscrupulous suggestion. Rest assured, my box is staying on my shelf and my money is staying in Bob's pocket!)

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 18:51 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Does anyone know if any clips from the DVD exist online? I wanna sneak a peak! :shock:

a 4:23 min video of "What Can I Do for You?" at Kleinhans Music Hall in Buffalo (which is on the DVD) is on top of the NYT review
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/arts/music/bob-dylan-bootleg-series-trouble-no-more.html

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 02:49 GMT 

Those of you with the San Diego bonus set, is it true that In the Garden is incomplete?

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 03:12 GMT 

thisisjohn wrote:
Those of you with the San Diego bonus set, is it true that In the Garden is incomplete?

There is an incomplete version from that night and a full version from the night before.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 55  Next