Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue November 21st, 2017, 19:05 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed November 1st, 2017, 23:16 GMT 
Mercury Member

Not interested even in the $17 version. Two-thirds of it isn't even original.

Now the Self Portrait signed to Chumlee.... I'd pay the moon for that!

PostPosted: Wed November 1st, 2017, 23:42 GMT 

First he ignores the Nobel committee. Then he doesn't give them a definite answer as to whether he is going to do the lecture. Then he sends them an audio recording of the lecture two days before the deadline, and says he'll take the prize, but only gives them a few minutes in a Stockholm hotel room, no press....Then it transpires that he lifted his Nobel speech from SparkNotes...And then he sells it as a signed 32-page book for $2500. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Am I the only one here that thinks this whole thing is a genius piece of art? Bob Dylan was Banksy before Banksy existed. He's the original Art Troll, sticking the middle finger up to everyone and laughing his ass off. I for one think it's absolutely brilliant.

PostPosted: Wed November 1st, 2017, 23:47 GMT 
Mercury Member

No you're not the only one. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 03:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bob is So Lucky to have these purists decide how much money he can make.

They work for free I assume.

These are same types who said "no, no, me want folk music, you idiot"

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 03:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

Mickvet wrote:
If somebody, other than a billionaire, is a big enough mug to pay anything like that kind of money for such a trivial item...

If I were even a millionaire I'd buy it, and there are plenty of those. For me, the audio recording of this is worth far more than Bob Dylan's signature, and it was free.

midnightcowboy wrote:
First he ignores the Nobel committee. Then he doesn't give them a definite answer as to whether he is going to do the lecture. Then he sends them an audio recording of the lecture two days before the deadline, and says he'll take the prize, but only gives them a few minutes in a Stockholm hotel room, no press....Then it transpires that he lifted his Nobel speech from SparkNotes...And then he sells it as a signed 32-page book for $2500. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Am I the only one here that thinks this whole thing is a genius piece of art? Bob Dylan was Banksy before Banksy existed. He's the original Art Troll, sticking the middle finger up to everyone and laughing his ass off. I for one think it's absolutely brilliant.

I think that is the best way to approach this. Everyone will be happier.

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 03:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

It is pretty funny...

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 04:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

arrives on day of the dead celebrations?
to honor the legacy of literature he stands upon
as this autobiographical lecture explains so eloquently?
sure why not!

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 09:49 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
Mickvet wrote:
If somebody, other than a billionaire, is a big enough mug to pay anything like that kind of money for such a trivial item, while one can concurrently buy Blonde on Blonde, just one example of what Dylan is truly about, for a tenner, they should be enthusiastically facilitated. That way, they might learn something.

Given the two options you list, I'll take the signed lecture. If I never hear Blonde On Blonde again in this life time I won't miss it. The signed lecture, on the other hand, will likely appreciate in value.

If you never hear Blonde On Blonde again you won't miss it? Surely, you jest? You'd rather have the chance of a signature going up a few dollars in price? Really?

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 09:51 GMT 

midnightcowboy wrote:

Maybe...but Banksy is a wanker.

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 12:24 GMT 

midnightcowboy wrote:
First he ignores the Nobel committee. Then he doesn't give them a definite answer as to whether he is going to do the lecture. Then he sends them an audio recording of the lecture two days before the deadline, and says he'll take the prize, but only gives them a few minutes in a Stockholm hotel room, no press....Then it transpires that he lifted his Nobel speech from SparkNotes...And then he sells it as a signed 32-page book for $2500. :lol

Yes its a statement, I guess he is from another world. 8)

I ordered the little book, a month ago, in advance on Amazon, I thought it would be fun to have!
I think it said that the edition was limited ? Do I remember this wrong ? Anybody else, here, that remember that ?
Maybe the limited addition have now become the numbered-signed? I would never put that kind of money on collectible stuff.
I´d rather travel and see one more show.

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 12:37 GMT 

hjh wrote:
In order to get the full experience, be sure to first print it out, sign Bob's name to it, number it, and slide it into a commemorative case. If for some reason you do not have a commemorative case reserved for just such an occasion, have no fear. Kindly PM me your particulars and I will be sure to mail one out to you as soon as the cheque clears.

Ok that's seriously funny. I hope the man reads this and winces at the bs of this whole endeavour.

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 13:52 GMT 

Is that money going to charity? If not, then it's just a bunch of rich people with too much money giving it to one rich person with too much money. Hopefully someone who actually needs that money won't be duped into buying one. People think it will go up in value... I highly doubt it. I'm a massive Dylan fan for 40 years and I could NOT care less about this speech. I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way.

For some strange reason, I grew up thinking Dylan thinking was the one celebrity who didn't do this kind of stuff. I thought with him it was purely about the art. Not whoring out the name and image to bring in bucks. Boy was I wrong!

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 13:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

I think Bob is still trying to recover his massive losses from trading his Andy Warhol "Double Elvis" silkscreen to manager's wife for a couch, decades ago, which is worth about ten million dollars today.

Seeing the holier than thou types howl about this is almost as good as his music, but not quite.

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 14:07 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
I think Bob is still trying to recover his massive losses from trading his Andy Warhol "Double Elvis" silkscreen to manager's wife for a couch, decades ago, which is worth about ten million dollars today.

Seeing the holier than thou types howl about this is almost as good as his music, but not quite.

Ouch, that one might still sting him.

Kind of like my dad who laments not buying a bitcoin about a million dollars worth ago.

I thought Bob Dylan’s autograph was a relatively rare thing.

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 15:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

kuddukan wrote:

It is, and is exactly what makes this piece valuable and guaranteed to appreciate in value.

A signed comment by Mark Twain sells for about $12,000.

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 18:09 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
kuddukan wrote:

It is, and is exactly what makes this piece valuable and guaranteed to appreciate in value.

It might be after you and I are long dead, but I could see a Bob Dylan autograph being similarly valuable eventually.
This is a weird "controversy" - autographs are a popular and common type of collectible for collectors of any kind.

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 18:44 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
kuddukan wrote:

We are talking about an autograph, about 32 printed pages with Bob's autograph (100 books including the autograph, if I remember right - thousands without the autograph). We aren't talking about a handwritten and signed manuscript of Bob, not about an unique object.
But it's ok, if you think that Bob's autograph is a good investment. Buy one or buy more than one. Perhaps your great-grand children will sell the copies for $12000 each one day. But they shouldn't be too certain about this.
It's very uncertain, if Bob will be as famous in the far future as Mark Twain is today. For me Bob's art is surely at least as worthy as Mark Twain's art. But this worth is not as durable. It hurts a fan to write this, but I think that's the truth: To read Bob's lyrics isn't as stunning and overwhelming as to listen to his cds and watch him perform ("I'm a dance- and songman" as Bob himself knows). So I dare to doubt, that Bob's cds will be sold and that to Bob's music will be listened to very often in -let's say - 2117. So to compare him with a famous writer is imo a deception.

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 22:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

HopE wrote:
We are talking about an autograph, about 32 printed pages with Bob's autograph (100 books including the autograph, if I remember right - thousands without the autograph). We aren't talking about a handwritten and signed manuscript of Bob, not about an unique object.
But it's ok, if you think that Bob's autograph is a good investment. Buy one or buy more than one. Perhaps your great-grand children will sell the copies for $12000 each one day. But they shouldn't be too certain about this.
It's very uncertain, if Bob will be as famous in the far future as Mark Twain is today. For me Bob's art is surely at least as worthy as Mark Twain's art. But this worth is not as durable. It hurts a fan to write this, but I think that's the truth: To read Bob's lyrics isn't as stunning and overwhelming as to listen to his cds and watch him perform ("I'm a dance- and songman" as Bob himself knows). So I dare to doubt, that Bob's cds will be sold and that to Bob's music will be listened to very often in -let's say - 2117. So to compare him with a famous writer is imo a deception.

Wow, what an expert!

"So to compare him with a famous writer is imo a deception."

He IS a famous writer - just won the Nobel, didn't he?

It doesn't matter if listening to his music or reading it, this is not about the aesthetic experience - it's about fame, and for you to suggest Bob Dylan's is limited and headed for a short life span really only quite clearly shows your own limited vision
and experience. He is quoted like the Bible, you see variations of his lines everywhere. He is one of America's all time cultural giants, if not the greatest.
He single handedly changed the way popular music is written, among many other things. And if a lot of other people want to make money off him, and do, he is certainly entitled to part of it himself - despite the tears of rage from the phony holier than thou crowd.
And if you are so disturbed that a fan might want this connection to him, I suggest you get a check up from the neck up - it's your problem.

It's so rich to see these purist fans turn right around and tear Bob Dylan down. I'm glad you don't like me! With friends like you..........

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 23:58 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
It's so rich to see these purist fans turn right around and tear Bob Dylan down. I'm glad you don't like me! With friends like you..........

You are a little bit hysteric, aren't you?
I don't know, if I would like you. I don't know nothing about you. I only realize, that you are a hard core Bob fan, who attacks, when he thinks, that his idol isn't adored and worshipped enough. A fan, who tries to insult f.e. me, because I don't think that it's a good investment to buy the signed and numbered Nobel lecture. A fan who does not accept that someone else judges the work of the revered idol not exactly as he himself does.
No, I think Bob's work won't be in the hearts and minds for such a long time as the work of other poets who won the Nobel Prize. It can't. Not because it is less worthy. But his work consists of lyrics, music and performance. And when this connection cannot be maintained, because one part is missing, it's no longer the same. And the day will come.

Keep cool. This was my last contribution to this here.
But one last thought: I can't believe that you are thinking of me, when you write about "purist fans, who turn right around and tear Bob Dylan down"? I didn't even realize that there is one of them here @ ER. And concerning me: I no purist fan (what's that?), I didn't and I don't tear Bob down (Why should I?). I'm not his friend but his "fan". I think, he is the greatest living singer(songwriter/poet of our time - at least for me. What doesn't mean, that everything he does is wonderful. You should check, what I wrote and ride your chrome horse less hostile (but do what you want to, of course)

PostPosted: Fri November 3rd, 2017, 03:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

Meanwhile, Neil Young is auctioning off seemingly everything he owns.

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions ... index.html

PostPosted: Fri November 3rd, 2017, 10:47 GMT 

Maybe Young's run out of money. And Dylan too?

BTW. What happened to those half a dozen books Dylan "promised" to "write"?
Perhaps this is one of them?

PostPosted: Fri November 3rd, 2017, 12:31 GMT 

"and a hurdy gurdy used on Young's song "Red Sun" from his album Silver and Gold (estimate: $200-$400)."

I would love that.

PostPosted: Fri November 3rd, 2017, 13:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

I would be more inclined to believe that they are hitting that point in life where they are getting rid of things they no longer want or need, maybe that they haven't used in years because it would not serve much purpose for their families after they're gone. Downsizing, I think its called.

Not everything previously owned or touched by a "star" will have value in a marketplace for collectors simply because it came from a star. There is a Fender Stratocaster on the wall of a Hard Rock Cafe with Dylan's signature on it. It has a red quilted maple laminated top and cannot be confirmed as "owned or used" but Dylan. For all one knows, the pen he was holding when he signed it (assuming its authentic) is the only connection between him and the guitar. To a Dylan fan, it may have a value but the guitar itself to a non-fan wouldn't have any more value than any other Strat with a red quilted maple top... assuming you wanted that type of guitar.

I think the pool of people who are willing to pay for Dylan related items is shrinking by the day. His receiving the Nobel Prize in Literature (and you can add the numerous other awards he's garnered through the years) was exciting to his fans and baffling for many others. Fans may be willing to pay a little more but not the general public. Some items would be of considerable value... specific guitars or harmonicas that he used regularly at particular moments during his career but one offs would be worth a lot less.

PostPosted: Fri November 3rd, 2017, 13:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

Untrodden Path wrote:
I think the pool of people who are willing to pay for Dylan related items is shrinking by the day. His receiving the Nobel Prize in Literature (and you can add the numerous other awards he's garnered through the years) was exciting to his fans and baffling for many others. Fans may be willing to pay a little more but not the general public. Some items would be of considerable value... specific guitars or harmonicas that he used regularly at particular moments during his career but one offs would be worth a lot less.

Another constant poster trashing Dylan. It's getting old.

If that pool of people willing to pay for Dylan items is "shrinking by the day", why then do his items at auctions keep breaking records? The facts, my friend, do not mesh with your hangups. And they are facts.

And you trash his Nobel award "exciting to his fans and baffling for many others.".

The most recent Nobel winner in literature, this year, whose name I(and most people I'm sure), have already forgotten, was asked what he thought about last years winner, Bob Dylan, and being in his company, and he quickly replied -

"Yeah. I do a very good Bob Dylan impersonation, but I won't do it for you right now."

He also said Bob Dylan had been his hero since an early age. So we can safely assume Bob Dylan strongly influenced the thinking of the 2017 winner - no small accomplishment - except of course in your little world.

So again, you are WAAAY off base. The good news? I'm not charging you for a free tune up. I like you.

https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/2017/ishiguro-interview.html

PostPosted: Fri November 3rd, 2017, 20:21 GMT 

If I could give my kid several thousand pounds by writing my name a hundred times, I would.

And so would you.