Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu November 23rd, 2017, 05:21 GMT

All times are UTC

Which do you think is the best album of three?
Slow Train Coming 43%  43%  [ 55 ]
Saved 13%  13%  [ 17 ]
Shot of Love 31%  31%  [ 39 ]
None of the Three 7%  7%  [ 9 ]
They're Equally Great! 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 127
PostPosted: Tue October 31st, 2017, 18:14 GMT 

I voted for Saved.
Saved is a gospel mass. Have to listen to it -vinyl version as far as possible- at very loud volume. And there it really rocks, end to end. Which is not the case of Slow Train Coming nor Shot Of Love.

PostPosted: Tue October 31st, 2017, 21:11 GMT 

panther wrote:
Yeah, I don't really care for any of them. Slow Train is nasty, fundamentalist, judgmental, right-wing nonsense with disco production (though his voice isn't too bad -- he's really tryin'). Saved is probably the most likable of the three, and the easiest to swallow, but it's also totally slap-dash, poorly recorded, and extremely thin. Shot of Love is the least preachy (=good), and has a few really good songs (one classic), but his vocals are nearly un-listenable.

In short, this period deservedly killed off Dylan's sales-appeal with the mass public.

Disco? Hardly..doesn’t sound anything at all like disco and as far as the message. Well Jesus got similar responses and still does. Bob was emphasize accurately certain biblical truths in all 3 records.
And Bobs vocals on sol are outstanding probably the best vocals of the 3.
And killed his sales? I don’t think that’s accurate. He’s always had a certain level of sales you’d have to prove that.
Other than that you’re spot on lol

PostPosted: Wed November 1st, 2017, 08:35 GMT 

Erolflynn wrote:
panther wrote:
Yeah, I don't really care for any of them. Slow Train is nasty, fundamentalist, judgmental, right-wing nonsense with disco production (though his voice isn't too bad -- he's really tryin'). Saved is probably the most likable of the three, and the easiest to swallow, but it's also totally slap-dash, poorly recorded, and extremely thin. Shot of Love is the least preachy (=good), and has a few really good songs (one classic), but his vocals are nearly un-listenable.

In short, this period deservedly killed off Dylan's sales-appeal with the mass public.

Disco? Hardly..doesn’t sound anything at all like disco and as far as the message. Well Jesus got similar responses and still does. Bob was emphasize accurately certain biblical truths in all 3 records.
And Bobs vocals on sol are outstanding probably the best vocals of the 3.
And killed his sales? I don’t think that’s accurate. He’s always had a certain level of sales you’d have to prove that.
Other than that you’re spot on lol

I think it did damage his sales for a time, but this was a risk of which I would think Dylan was well aware, but his first priority was to deliver the message.

PostPosted: Wed November 1st, 2017, 09:38 GMT 

Slow Train sounds the best, Shot of Love could have been great but I vote for Saved because it's always being unfairly and unreasonably put down. The songs are extremely strong even if the production could have been better.

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 14:05 GMT 

The best album of the gospel era is Live in San Diego '79.
Please edit the initial post to include this option.

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 14:10 GMT 

Richard--W wrote:
The best album of the gospel era is Live in San Diego '79.
Please edit the initial post to include this option.

I can’t wait until we all have the chance to agree or disagree with you on this. It won’t be long now!

PostPosted: Thu November 2nd, 2017, 17:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

Nightingale's Code wrote:
I don’t listen to any of them regularly but Slow Train Coming is the most tolerable of the three

PostPosted: Sat November 4th, 2017, 00:54 GMT 

Shot of Love is such a supremely underrated album. I had such a low opinion of it for the longest time, mainly because the opening track grated on me (I'm still not a big fan of it, but I've come around some). But songs like Heart of Mine and In the Summertime are just delightful, and Every Grain of Sand, Watered-down Love, and Lenny Bruce are all solid tracks. Maybe replacing Dead Man, Dead Man with Angelina would've helped turn this album into something more than it was, but who knows. Even so, it's a great piece of art with great tracks peppered throughout.

Slow Train Coming definitely has *better* hits, but it's front-loaded. Once you move past Slow Train (which is a great x song), it sort of peeters out even if it's still good overall.

Saved I admittedly have to listen to a few times more, but it's definitely the weakest of the three from what I can remember.

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 08:37 GMT 

Voted for Slow Train as that as the most "listenable" songs, Shot Of Love has a few but Saved as no "saving grace"

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 02:48 GMT 

Shot Of Love is pure art, boy, ¡PURE ART!

Mainly I love this album for Every Grain Of Sand. It's a glorious song! With that song I feel something like surely Simeon felt when he saw the baby Jesus, and held him in his arms. His story is found on Luke 2:25-35 (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=KJV)

I'm not jewish.

But in general, I enjoy the whole album. Lenny Bruce and Heart Of Mine are masterpieces.

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 10:46 GMT 

^^^Good post!
Christmas in the Heart should be on the list. That's my favorite of his Gospel albums.