Total votes : 140
PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 16:29 GMT 

RichardW wrote:
we don't have a CD player anymore

that's a weird world, we are living in!

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 21:22 GMT 

Nappy wrote:
Jerry wrote:
2cd. The days of buying $100 plus boxsets are over.

Basically this, but I've been going one step further lately and just listening to albums via Apple Music. Spending a good amount of money on music just doesn't interest me anymore.

I'm completely over Dylan Inc and others doing a 2 CD set and then a crazily priced boxed set. Basically either option makes you feel like you're being duped.

Yes; the cheaper version (for any of these exorbitantly priced ones) makes you feel like you're not getting what you really want and should be able to afford, and the more, far more expensive version can make you feel ripped off (depending on how much you love it I guess, but there's no need for charging so much) and the limited edition thing is APPALLING. It reminds me of those old TV commercials from the '70s or '80s: (loud voice) "CALL NOW! SUPPLIES ARE LIMITED!."
It's a horrible way to treat fans. I'm glad I was able to get the complete Cutting Edge without spending 700 bucks or whatever and the 3rd disc of Tell Tale Signs without spending the fortune that Columbia/Sony wanted.

Music should not only be for the rich.

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 22:23 GMT 

In the beginning......I was gonna get the deluxe, but now I think I'm gonna get the 2 cd and use it on the morning commute for awhile.

PostPosted: Sat October 28th, 2017, 02:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm in no hurry to get it. Lots of other priorities exceed it at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat October 28th, 2017, 06:20 GMT 

rolling_thunder wrote:

Thank you.

Yeah something is wrong when the man who sang against how "power and greed and corruptible seed seem to be all that there is" is now charging $200 on his site for his box set about professed spirituality. This is messed up.

PostPosted: Sat October 28th, 2017, 08:19 GMT 

Jim B. wrote:
rolling_thunder wrote:

Thank you.

Yeah something is wrong when the man who sang against how "power and greed and corruptible seed seem to be all that there is" is now charging $200 on his site for his box set about professed spirituality. This is messed up.

I feel much the same. It's old music (albeit not officially released) in new packaging and I think the price of the de-luxe box is OTT, especially when you think of the bargain box of live 1966 recordings. That was 36 CD's for just over £105 if I remember correctly. I know some of the recordings were 'basic' but it still costs money to transfer it all to discs, do artwork and packaging and do all the promotional stuff.

PostPosted: Sat October 28th, 2017, 11:11 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
Jim B. wrote:
Thank you.

I feel much the same. It's old music (albeit not officially released) in new packaging and I think the price of the de-luxe box is OTT, especially when you think of the bargain box of live 1966 recordings. That was 36 CD's for just over £105 if I remember correctly. I know some of the recordings were 'basic' but it still costs money to transfer it all to discs, do artwork and packaging and do all the promotional stuff.

Complaining about the cost of a box-set which one doesn't have to buy and is not quite the cost of a mortgage is a little bit melodramatic in the context of the kind of greed that Dylan was singing about in Blind Willie McTell. The comparison with '66 is not quite justifiable as there is more variety in what is being offered in the latest one. If Dylan opts to release all the Gospel shows in a future set, that would be a more valid comparison.

Anyway, most people seem to be going digital nowadays. Personally, I like the solid stuff but, if I couldn't afford it, I'd be content with the mp3's.

PostPosted: Sat October 28th, 2017, 11:27 GMT 

Sorry but the whining about the pricing is at this point exasperating. The deluxe box is 8 CDs (10 if you get the San Diego bonus), in great packaging plus a large book. The price is OK, specially now that it´s gone down significantly after the pre-order stage.
And indeed comparing it to the live 1966 box is not realistic, because apart from Mick´s point, the presentation was very cheap with carton sleeves and hardly any info (which was fine by me, btw!).

PostPosted: Sat October 28th, 2017, 12:27 GMT 

I'm just going to download the 2cd version on iTunes.

PostPosted: Sat October 28th, 2017, 12:41 GMT 

Jim B. wrote:

Agreed so much. I'm very sympathetic to artists getting their due, and don't like people feeling entitled to art created by others, but it really is a shame to lock out so many of your fans because a select few will be willing to pay extremely large amounts for your content. Not casting any blame on Dylan I guess, but I agree with your point.

Post subject: Re: How will
PostPosted: Sat October 28th, 2017, 18:37 GMT 

Pre-ordered the 8CD version from amazon.

Of all BS releases, this is the one I have been waiting years for.

I have heard some bootlegs from this era but am looking forward to hearing it in better quality.

For me, the gospel period had more shock value than Dylan going electric in the sixties. The quality of the music and fhe passion carry it for me.

I came to like Dylan in the eighties, as a teenager, so the fuss over this era (and the sixties) seemed like ancient history.

PostPosted: Sun October 29th, 2017, 08:58 GMT 

wormington wrote:
Sorry but the whining about the pricing is at this point exasperating. The deluxe box is 8 CDs (10 if you get the San Diego bonus), in great packaging plus a large book. The price is OK, specially now that it´s gone down significantly after the pre-order stage.
And indeed comparing it to the live 1966 box is not realistic, because apart from Mick´s point, the presentation was very cheap with carton sleeves and hardly any info (which was fine by me, btw!).

I'd rather have just the 10 CD's in 'basic' packaging, without the dvd or the book! That would reduce the postage costs as well! The package retails at Amazon Uk for £133.94 at the moment!

PostPosted: Sun October 29th, 2017, 09:36 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
wormington wrote:

I'd rather have just the 10 CD's in 'basic' packaging, without the dvd or the book! That would reduce the postage costs as well! The package retails at Amazon Uk for £133.94 at the moment!

One can get it in mp3 format for £40, download without postage costs, burn it to cdr and make one's own packaging, just like we did in the old bootleg days.

It's on Googleplay for €35.99, which seems an attractive price for that amount of music.

PostPosted: Sun October 29th, 2017, 10:18 GMT 

belleseb32 wrote:
Jim B. wrote:

Agreed so much. I'm very sympathetic to artists getting their due, and don't like people feeling entitled to art created by others, but it really is a shame to lock out so many of your fans because a select few will be willing to pay extremely large amounts for your content. Not casting any blame on Dylan I guess, but I agree with your point.

Thank you very much.
I was not and am not trying to kill or lessen anybody's enthusiasm over the box. I hope everybody who gets it greatly enjoys it. It's just frustrating to me on a couple different levels.
I wish I had not posted before (though I appreciate your understanding the fundamental complaint that I had and have with the price; it unnecessarily locks fans out).

Hope everyone who wants to, has fun with the music, is able to.
Peace.

PostPosted: Sun October 29th, 2017, 12:09 GMT 

after listening to the npr-sampler and to the other examples on youtube:
I'm convinced, that it's impossible (for me), to listen to these 8 cds (including the SanDiego bonus even to 9 cds) and watch one dvd full of hymns.
I can't stand more than 8 hours of the same song (I think this formulation is only a little bit exaggerated). Too many songs about temptation, to many about sin, too many songs about salvation, heaven and hell. (I think it was a wrong decision to include only the very explicite religious songs)
So the examples reinforce me in my intention, that the two cd set will do it for me, although I may miss one or two great versions of a song - but I'll try to catch these performances via other sources. If I would buy the complete BS Vol 13, I would listen to three or four cds. Same happened after getting The 1966 Live Recordings: Till now I did listen to three shows of the 1966 Live Recordings.
I don't know but I hope, I will appreciate the two cd set.
The deluxe-set is too expensive for me to listen to it once and to put the box back on the shelf after it.

PostPosted: Sun October 29th, 2017, 12:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

The funny thing is, in reality, no one is "locked out."

I will, stupidly in some folks eyes, pay for the Deluxe package and therefore naturally help subsidize others who will snag it in different ways.
Ever think, perhaps that's why it costs what it does? Dylan, Inc. ain't dumb.

I have zero problem with people doing what they have to do to get this.
In fact, I will do what I have to do to get the bonus tracks, if they aren't at the brick & mortar.
And will appreciate receiving a PM when that time comes. Ha ha.

Anyhow, in this world, we aren't "locked out."

PostPosted: Sun October 29th, 2017, 17:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
The funny thing is, in reality, no one is "locked out."

I will, stupidly in some folks eyes, pay for the Deluxe package and therefore naturally help subsidize others who will snag it in different ways.
Ever think, perhaps that's why it costs what it does? Dylan, Inc. ain't dumb.

I have zero problem with people doing what they have to do to get this.
In fact, I will do what I have to do to get the bonus tracks, if they aren't at the brick & mortar.
And will appreciate receiving a PM when that time comes. Ha ha.

Anyhow, in this world, we aren't "locked out."

Indeed I have all 6 discs of the Deluxe Basement tapes. Didn't cost me a dime :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun October 29th, 2017, 20:19 GMT 

HopE wrote:
I don't know but I hope, I will appreciate the two cd set.
The deluxe-set is too expensive for me to listen to it once and to put the box back on the shelf after it.

I think this is a wise move. The gospel era is one of my favorites, so I'll happily suck up anything i can find from it, but it's hard to imagine the deluxe edition being in any way enjoyable for someone who doesn't connect with the material overall. From what I've heard, the best content seems to be on the first two discs anyway, so you're definitely making a solid decision.

PostPosted: Sat November 4th, 2017, 01:12 GMT 

Jim B. wrote:

Yes; the cheaper version (for any of these exorbitantly priced ones) makes you feel like you're not getting what you really want and should be able to afford, and the more, far more expensive version can make you feel ripped off (depending on how much you love it I guess, but there's no need for charging so much) and the limited edition thing is APPALLING. It reminds me of those old TV commercials from the '70s or '80s: (loud voice) "CALL NOW! SUPPLIES ARE LIMITED!."
It's a horrible way to treat fans. I'm glad I was able to get the complete Cutting Edge without spending 700 bucks or whatever and the 3rd disc of Tell Tale Signs without spending the fortune that Columbia/Sony wanted.

I would LOVE some help finding disc 3 of tell tale signs

PostPosted: Sat November 4th, 2017, 03:31 GMT 

restless fever wrote:
I'm just going to download the 2cd version on iTunes.

This was my choice as well, partly for financial reasons, and partly because I don't have a CD player anywhere but in my car. I sometimes buy vinyl, but $90 vs $15 for the same songs seemed like a no brainer. I have a friend who usually ends up buying the grand salami every time, so I'm hoping I'll end up getting the rare tracks from him eventually.

For now I'm enjoying the heck out of these 30 songs.

PostPosted: Sat November 4th, 2017, 06:21 GMT 

ChelseaHotel wrote:
I would LOVE some help finding disc 3 of tell tale signs

Count me in on that party!!! Everytime I check on amazon or wherever
it's like £150 for the 3 disk version.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 03:09 GMT 

No interest in the gospel period. Waiting for BS14

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk