Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon November 20th, 2017, 17:32 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How will you purchase Trouble No More?
Deluxe package + Bonus cds 47%  47%  [ 66 ]
Deluxe package 20%  20%  [ 28 ]
2cd/4lp version 16%  16%  [ 22 ]
I'll wait until it streams 10%  10%  [ 14 ]
I'm not bothered 7%  7%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 140
PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 19:53 GMT 
Mercury Member

Purchase?

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 22:22 GMT 

McG wrote:
People still buying CDs! Too funny.
Not as funny as people buying vinyl.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 22:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

Cassettes are where it’s at

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 22:46 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
Purchase?

Jolly Roger's Music Store.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 22:52 GMT 

FieldingMellish wrote:
Unless the price for the standard 2CD edition comes way down, this will be the first edition of the Bootleg Series that I won't buy. Happy BitTorrenting...

Saving your cash for Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol. 4? Seriously though I didn't think I'd be buying any versions of BS 13 but the live stuff from Slow Train Coming on the 2CD set has turned my head!

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 00:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

mjmooney wrote:
McG wrote:

I don't think so. Many albums sound better on vinyl (including Dylan's, especially Modern Times) not because of the medium itself, but because the mastering is different and less compressed*. If buying a physical product as opposed to download, vinyl is, needless to say, far better than cd.

*Ironic, given cd's increased dynamic range.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 01:14 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
Nightingale's Code wrote:
I’ll check it out on streaming sites when it hits Spotify or something. Not enough interest to shell out money for it though. The era doesn’t appeal to me and the tracks that’ve already been released did nothing to sell it for me.
Same here. Maybe if/when the price drops I may consider it, if only for completist reasons.

I'd far rather listen to Triplicate, tbh (and that was sold at a fair price).

Same here also on all counts.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 07:31 GMT 

depp91 wrote:
Or think of Tell Tale Signs and its 3 CDs.

I do indeed think of that. And what I think is, f*ck this.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 08:22 GMT 

smoke wrote:
mjmooney wrote:
[quote="McG"]People still buying CDs! Too funny.

I don't think so. Many albums sound better on vinyl (including Dylan's, especially Modern Times) not because of the medium itself, but because the mastering is different and less compressed*. If buying a physical product as opposed to download, vinyl is, needless to say, far better than cd.

*Ironic, given cd's increased dynamic range.[/quote]You may think so. Personally, I can't hear any difference. Apart from the rumble, hiss and scratches on the vinyl, of course. Got rid of most of my LPs recently, glad of the saved space. CDs all the way.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 08:31 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
smoke wrote:
[quote="mjmooney"][quote="McG"]People still buying CDs! Too funny.

*Ironic, given cd's increased dynamic range.[/quote]You may think so. Personally, I can't hear any difference. Apart from the rumble, hiss and scratches on the vinyl, of course. Got rid of most of my LPs recently, glad of the saved space. CDs all the way.[/quote]The dynamic range database is a helpful tool to find out if a CD is too compressed or not.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J710F mit Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 08:33 GMT 

FieldingMellish wrote:
depp91 wrote:
Or think of Tell Tale Signs and its 3 CDs.

I do indeed think of that. And what I think is, f*ck this.
But that wasn't my point :D
Trouble No More has 8 CDs + 1 DVD and costs about the same as TTS with its 3 CDs did.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J710F mit Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 08:35 GMT 

I bought my TTS 3 CDs still sealed for about 60 Euro.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 08:47 GMT 

depp91 wrote:
But that wasn't my point

I know it wasn't. But it was mine.

You cannot compare this with Cutting Edge, sorry but it just isn't a like for like comparison. Yes, the Cutting Edge 6 CD set was relatively expensive, although not egregiously so. But the content was pure gold, truly great versions of songs from Dylan's greatest period, in pristine studio quality. In my opinion, the only rival to the Cutting Edge for the title of 'best Bootleg Series release since Vols I to III' is Tell Tale Signs, but in pure 'quality of music' terms there is no rival. Cutting Edge was the motherlode.

Trouble No More is a very different animal. The era covered is interesting and, due to the Christianity and so forth, probably somewhat under-rated. But we'd be deluding ourselves if we thought the music in this set will be up to the quality of Cutting Edge or TTS, never mind Vols I to III. And the shabby practices - setting various tiers to the release priciing - sticks too hard in my craw. SO I resent paying premimum prices for 2 CDs, particularly when I would really want the studio stuff not just live tracks. I'll download and see how much I like it for free. I doubt it will ever become a favourite. The pre-released tracks so far are underwhelming and even the deluxe set is far from comprehensive.

They are milking us and I am witholding my milk this time. "I don't avoid Dylan, but I do deny him my essence."

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 09:39 GMT 

FieldingMellish wrote:
depp91 wrote:
But that wasn't my point

You cannot compare this with Cutting Edge, sorry but it just isn't a like for like comparison. Yes, the Cutting Edge 6 CD set was relatively expensive, although not egregiously so. But the content was pure gold, truly great versions of songs from Dylan's greatest period, in pristine studio quality. In my opinion, the only rival to the Cutting Edge for the title of 'best Bootleg Series release since Vols I to III' is Tell Tale Signs, but in pure 'quality of music' terms there is no rival. Cutting Edge was the motherlode.

Trouble No More is a very different animal. The era covered is interesting and, due to the Christianity and so forth, probably somewhat under-rated. But we'd be deluding ourselves if we thought the music in this set will be up to the quality of Cutting Edge or TTS, never mind Vols I to III. And the shabby practices - setting various tiers to the release priciing - sticks too hard in my craw. SO I resent paying premimum prices for 2 CDs, particularly when I would really want the studio stuff not just live tracks. I'll download and see how much I like it for free. I doubt it will ever become a favourite. The pre-released tracks so far are underwhelming and even the deluxe set is far from comprehensive.

They are milking us and I am witholding my milk this time. "I don't avoid Dylan, but I do deny him my essence."
Thank you. Word for word, EXACTLY my feelings. In the grand scheme of things, this is one of the minor BS releases. Not quite barrel-scraping, but definitely not justifying the ludicrous pricing and marketing involved. I have a fairly comprehensive collection of official (and a few unofficial) Dylan releases, so obviously I would like this, even though the gospel era is near the bottom of my preferred Dylan eras. But no way am I paying that price.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 10:02 GMT 

Pre-ordered the Deluxe set from Bobdylan.com to get the bonus discs, and will buy the vinyl set as well when it comes.

And yes, people still buy CDs, and yes, people buy vinyl. Why can't people get their tiny little heads around this?

They said CDs would die out 10-15 years ago... guess what, they haven't... just as they said the album was dead... guess what, it isn't, just as they said vinyl was dead, er, countless times... guess what, it isn't... it's thriving again, thank goodness.

Turns out everyone was just really fukcing over-excited at the start of the digital revolution and thought that everything else should be thrown away. Guess what, they were wrong. I love my iTunes library, and my iPod, but there's never been any reason to discard the old formats just because a new one came along, each has its advantages and disadvantages...

This set was expensive, but as I said before, we live once. This is fantastic music from a thrilling era of Bob's career and I for one can't wait to hear it.

I've been listening to Triplicate again recently, also, and guess what, it's a fantastic record, that I'm thrilled Mr. Dylan released. Not every moment is a peak of course, but it really is an excellent album if you can past all the glib jokes about age and whining wheezing about it being covers or songs that fella Sinatra did.

It's been a fantastic year to be a Bob Dylan fan, I'm enjoying the hell out of it... 20 years after I became a fan, the man's music is still just as thrilling and engaging for me, how great is that? Again, long may it continue...

Sorry. I like Bob Dylan.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 10:07 GMT 

Preach it, Rimmy!
Sorry, but some of the above posts are ridiculous. "I refuse to pay 17 euros for a 2 CD set"? That's a more than fair price. Come on, guys

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 10:41 GMT 

The Christian thing would be to donate that money to charity.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 12:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

Foggy wrote:
Deluxe + bonus for me.

(Sorry for being so positive on this forum).

NICE!
I don't thump bibles and still love the twisted, confusing energy of Bob's Gospel Period.
The passion in his voice is contagious, in my humble opinion.

Back to buying Dylan releases, yay!
Really liking the thought of BS13 after having to skip the American Standard toilet period (did I say that out loud? ...shite)

Over here, looking forward to physically walking into the record store on Release Day, Nov 3rd right?, and exiting with the Deluxe Set in my hands.
Instant gratification. No waiting.
If the bonuses ain't there, many times they are even though Dylan, Inc. says otherwise, then will just grab them elsewhere with zero guilt.

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 14:41 GMT 

FieldingMellish wrote:
depp91 wrote:
But that wasn't my point

This is pretty much my feeling as well. Before the details of this release were announced, I was hopeful that it might improve my opinion of the gospel era Bob by releasing some previously hidden gems in a focused, well curated collection... in the same way that TTS and ASP improved my opinion of those eras. But as soon as I found out it was to be 9 discs, I was pretty sure it would disappoint. I expected it to be far more focused on the 79 era live, where Bob's passion for the material shined brightest; and the studio/rehearsal samples released so far have not impressed. I really have no interest in the '80 and '81 concerts on discs 5 thru 8.

If the price comes down to what I would reasonably expect to pay for a 5 disc release, the completist in me may be convinced to buy it.

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 00:15 GMT 

I ordered the Deluxe set through Amazon. Couldn't justify another $50 for the San Diego bonus CDs. Can't say I'm too happy about spending $100+ and still not getting the whole shebang. Maybe I'll find a way to listen to the bonus CDs some other way.

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 00:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

THE 2 disc version. Will be the best official representation of this era.

I’ll dearly miss that 1981 London show though. Will get the deluxe one day when spending another 110 dollars is less irresponsible for me.

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 01:30 GMT 

John B. Stetson wrote:
THE 2 disc version. Will be the best official representation of this era.

I’ll dearly miss that 1981 London show though. Will get the deluxe one day when spending another 110 dollars is less irresponsible for me.

Same.

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 03:55 GMT 

FieldingMellish wrote:
depp91 wrote:
But that wasn't my point

Actually you can and this release is better. This has nothing to do with thinking the gospel era is better than mid sixties Dylan, it's not and I wouldn't suggest otherwise but the Cutting Edge was a fun indulgence that shed little light on that era. We knew Dylan was at his peak during that era because he actually put out the best takes. If you add together the three perfect albums and the releases on Biograph/BS1-3 and 7 then how much did Cutting Edge reveal? That there are some very solid outtakes from that era that are footnotes to but ultimately inferior to the released takes. In terms of 'lost masterpieces' the new takes of She's Your Lover Now were the only real contenders. The BS series don't exist in a vacuum, they have to be judged on how they expand on the official picture and by that criteria I'd rank Cutting Edge towards the bottom.

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 09:23 GMT 

McG wrote:

I know. I sort of feel they're making fools of us all. We are forced to purchase physical CD's just to get the whole shebang...

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 10:24 GMT 

boiledgutsofbirds wrote:
FieldingMellish wrote:

Actually you can and this release is better. This has nothing to do with thinking the gospel era is better than mid sixties Dylan, it's not and I wouldn't suggest otherwise but the Cutting Edge was a fun indulgence that shed little light on that era. We knew Dylan was at his peak during that era because he actually put out the best takes. If you add together the three perfect albums and the releases on Biograph/BS1-3 and 7 then how much did Cutting Edge reveal? That there are some very solid outtakes from that era that are footnotes to but ultimately inferior to the released takes. In terms of 'lost masterpieces' the new takes of She's Your Lover Now were the only real contenders. The BS series don't exist in a vacuum, they have to be judged on how they expand on the official picture and by that criteria I'd rank Cutting Edge towards the bottom.

Heh. As I began reading your post I initially thouhght, well, I disagree with you but maybe you have a point: approaching the question from the point of view of shedding light, rather than relying on the quality of the music to judge; but by the end you had lost all credibiity, ranking Cutting Edge "towards the bottom" is a prepsterous assertion.

In any case, even if we did accept that the only criterion that counts is shedding light, if there is ight to be shed by Trouble No More then it is yet to be shed, since it's not been released yet; so your assessment is premature and therefore utterly invalid.

Furthermore, it simply isn't true that Cutting Edge sheds no light, there are numreous examples where the process revealed by various versions of a given song is fascinating and highly enjoyable, also leaving us with worthwhile alternative verisons of songs - just the Blonde on Blonde tracks alone, for example, would put up a formidable challenge to any other set's claims of light shedding.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next