Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue November 21st, 2017, 11:57 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Wed October 11th, 2017, 17:30 GMT 

As far as I could catch it. Pls feel free to correct.

MAKING A LIAR OUT OF ME

You tell people you're just going through changes
And that you're acquainted both with night and day
That your money's good, and you're just being courageous
On them burning bridges, knowing your feet are made of clay
Well I say you won't be destroyed by your inventions
That you brought (?) under captivity
And that you really do have all the best intentions
But you're making a liar out of me

Well I said that you're just young and self-tormented
But that deep down you understand
The hopes and dreams and fears of the discontented
They threaten now to overtake your promised land
Well I said you'd not sow discord among brothers
Nor drain a man of his integrity
That you remember the cries of the orphans and their mothers

Well you say that that ain't flesh and blood you're drinking
In the wounded empire of your fools' paradise
With the light above your head forever blinking
Turning virgins into merchandise
Well you must have been beautiful when you were living
You remind me of some old time used-to-be
I say you can be trusted with the power you've been given

So many things, so hard to say, as you stumble
To take refuge in your offices of shame
As the earth beneath my feet begins to rumble
And your young men die for nothing, not even fame
I say that some day you'll begin to trust us
And your conscience has not been slain by conformity
That you'll stand up unafraid to believe in justice

Well I can hear the sound of distant thunder
From an open window at the end of every hall
Now that you're gone, I got to wonder
If you ever were here at all
I say you'd never sacrifice my children
To some false god of infidelity
And that it's not the tower of Babel that you're building

PostPosted: Wed October 11th, 2017, 17:49 GMT 

bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:
http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/bob-dylan-making-liar/

Maybe this works for you?

It's an INCREDIBLE song!! :D :D :D

No luck I'm afraid. It seems to be USA-centric... Thanks for the try though. :(

PostPosted: Wed October 11th, 2017, 17:49 GMT 

@ gerardv:

A sort of Gospel Like A Rolling Stone? I wouldn't like to be the (apparently dead) object of these lines. Typically, Mr Dylan doesn't deploy added sugar.

Thanks for drafting the words.

PostPosted: Wed October 11th, 2017, 17:57 GMT 

half baked...pfffft...

that is the right stuff imo

I could hear it on stage...and I felt myself having an elevated sensation...and not the one brought on by the funny bone.

Thank you Bob.

Thanks to putting the lyrics down also. Bravo

PostPosted: Wed October 11th, 2017, 17:59 GMT 

Quote:

Very unlikely, it does work here in Germany...

https://www.stereogum.com/1966746/hear-bob-dylans-previously-unreleased-making-a-liar-out-of-me/music/

From what you're saying I don't really expect this one to work either, but you can give it a try...

Oh and thanks for putting down the lyrics from me, too!

PostPosted: Wed October 11th, 2017, 18:06 GMT 

it looked like the song was loading endlessly. But I did simply another double click and it worked.

PostPosted: Wed October 11th, 2017, 18:18 GMT 

Quote:

Very unlikely, it does work here in Germany...

https://www.stereogum.com/1966746/hear-bob-dylans-previously-unreleased-making-a-liar-out-of-me/music/

From what you're saying I don't really expect this one to work either, but you can give it a try...

Oh and thanks for putting down the lyrics from me, too!

That's annoying... It just shows a black square for me now. Guess I'll just have to wait.

PostPosted: Wed October 11th, 2017, 18:23 GMT 

I'm sorry :(

Then again, it's pretty hard feeling sorry for people who can afford the deluxe edition when you yourself just can't! :cry:

PostPosted: Wed October 11th, 2017, 18:30 GMT 

I'm sorry :(

Then again, it's pretty hard feeling sorry for people who can afford the deluxe edition when you yourself just can't! :cry:

Did you just officially make me bourgeois? Then again all I can afford for dinner in october is crackers, so it's swings and roundabouts. I'll just wait for box to arrive and hope it was worth it.

PostPosted: Wed October 11th, 2017, 19:24 GMT 

[quote="Anr Bjotk"]

That's annoying... It just shows a black square for me now. Guess I'll just have to wait.[/quote]

try the rollingstone.com-Link (provided above) AND don't forget to enable COOKIES – otherwise you will just see a black square!

PostPosted: Wed October 11th, 2017, 19:31 GMT 

slewan wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:

That's annoying... It just shows a black square for me now. Guess I'll just have to wait.

try the rollingstone.com-Link (provided above) AND don't forget to enable COOKIES – otherwise you will just see a black square!

I really appreciate it, but it doesn't work. I even turned off all safety elements and I just wound up with the original "Vevo/Oops! This page is currently unavailable in your region". Dunno what's happening, or why to me, or why it work in germany but not norway, but I'll survive the 3 week wait to hear it. Probably my own fault, somehow, anyway. Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed October 11th, 2017, 19:52 GMT 

The song deserves its own thread. Hooked

PostPosted: Wed October 11th, 2017, 20:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

Holy church organ!!

PostPosted: Wed October 11th, 2017, 20:48 GMT 

Verses are a slowed down Where Are You Tonight...

PostPosted: Wed October 11th, 2017, 21:01 GMT 

Sounds more like a rehearsal than a 'lost masterpiece' to me. That's only from an initial listen however.

PostPosted: Wed October 11th, 2017, 21:58 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:
Luc Sante tweeted that these sermons come directly from bob, so these are penned by bob?

I was at the first NYC screening. Luc said that Bob had suggested subjects or directional ideas, and he (Luc) wrote them. They never talked directly (he said this explicitly I believe).

PostPosted: Thu October 12th, 2017, 07:46 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
I really appreciate it, but it doesn't work. I even turned off all safety elements and I just wound up with the original "Vevo/Oops! This page is currently unavailable in your region". Dunno what's happening, or why to me, or why it work in germany but not norway, but I'll survive the 3 week wait to hear it. Probably my own fault, somehow, anyway. Cheers.

Finally!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh5FQhbirrc

PostPosted: Thu October 12th, 2017, 10:51 GMT 

dpam wrote:
escapeedrifter wrote:
Luc Sante tweeted that these sermons come directly from bob, so these are penned by bob?

I was at the first NYC screening. Luc said that Bob had suggested subjects or directional ideas, and he (Luc) wrote them. They never talked directly (he said this explicitly I believe).

Thank you for that.

PostPosted: Fri October 13th, 2017, 14:59 GMT 

I think 'Making a Liar Out of Me' is a great song! I hear it as a "sequel" to 'Gates of Eden'. The radical dialectics between World and Heaven - which again echoes Pietism (the Lutheran version of Puritanism), like 17th Century Danish psalmist Thomas Kingo e.g. Everything in the world essentially comes down to vanity and will thus eventually vanish. God is the only eternal force, and it is only by his grace and will that we may have any stake in eternity. Even in our fallen world, however, we have a sense of and a longing for what is eternal - Truth, for example: "At times I think there are no words but these to tell what's true, but there are no truths outside the Gates of Eden." - this is one of Dylan's most brilliant expressions of the paradoxical condition of human existence. Following this logic, anything that claims to be true and not spring from within the Gates of Eden is a lie ("All the truth in THE WORLD adds up to one big lie", as he sings elsewhere). 'Making a Liar Out of Me' deals with exactly that: all the various fallen-world intentions of doing the right thing and disguising vanity as righteousness. We do tend to call a lot of it good and righteous, because we are seduced or convinced that it is so, or because it is the most convenient thing to do (if we didn't, it might indeed be difficult to even be in the world). But once we do that we become liars. The father of lies (the Devil) makes liars out of us all. The song is not as finger-pointing as some of the others of this era - rather Dylan points the finger as much at himself as anyone else and at the great struggle that rages inside of him as it does inside all of us: the fight between truth and lies - the fight determining who we shall serve: the Devil or the Lord...

PostPosted: Fri October 13th, 2017, 15:02 GMT 

CS_Nielsen wrote:
I think 'Making a Liar Out of Me' is a great song! I hear it as a "sequel" to 'Gates of Eden'. The radical dialectics between World and Heaven - which again echoes Pietism (the Lutheran version of Puritanism), like 17th Century Danish psalmist Thomas Kingo e.g. Everything in the world essentially comes down to vanity and will thus eventually vanish. God is the only eternal force, and it is only by his grace and will that we may have any stake in eternity. Even in our fallen world, however, we have a sense of and a longing for what is eternal - Truth, for example: "At times I think there are no words but these to tell what's true, but there are no truths outside the Gates of Eden." - this is one of Dylan's most brilliant expressions of the paradoxical condition of human existence. Following this logic, anything that claims to be true and not spring from within the Gates of Eden is a lie ("All the truth in THE WORLD adds up to one big lie", as he sings elsewhere). 'Making a Liar Out of Me' deals with exactly that: all the various fallen-world intentions of doing the right thing and disguising vanity as righteousness. We do tend to call a lot of it good and righteous, because we are seduced or convinced that it is so, or because it is the most convenient thing to do (if we didn't, it might indeed be difficult to even be in the world). But once we do that we become liars. The father of lies (the Devil) makes liars out of us all. The song is not as finger-pointing as some of the others of this era - rather Dylan points the finger as much at himself as anyone else and at the great struggle that rages inside of him as it does inside all of us: the fight between truth and lies - the fight determining who we shall serve: the Devil or the Lord...

Thank you for sharing that!

PostPosted: Fri October 13th, 2017, 15:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

There's a rehearsal version of Gotta Serve Somebody with horns at the bottom of this article about the Tulsa Archive. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... c03365547a

PostPosted: Fri October 13th, 2017, 16:27 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
There's a rehearsal version of Gotta Serve Somebody with horns at the bottom of this article about the Tulsa Archive. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... c03365547a

Thanks Gibson! Wouldn't have found it.. So that's Disk 4 track 1. The fourth one that's been made public. Dylan's vocal is clearly a practice run and none too committed. Nice to have though, different horn arrangement.

PostPosted: Sat October 14th, 2017, 03:51 GMT 

Thanks for the lyrics ... my, what a song! These are tiny edits, but the first time you use the word "you" in the 1st and 3rd verses, they should say "I" ...

PostPosted: Sat October 14th, 2017, 08:36 GMT 

jfreeman21 wrote:
Thanks for the lyrics ... my, what a song! These are tiny edits, but the first time you use the word "you" in the 1st and 3rd verses, they should say "I" ...

Yes, true. Actually one of the users, corso, put a corrected version of the lyrics on the
Making a Liar Out Of Me thread. Thanks by the way, corso!

PostPosted: Sun October 15th, 2017, 16:57 GMT 

Slow Train rehearsal with horns- pretty funky even if the horns sound like someone farting...

https://youtu.be/ebFUFUgKb0M

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 55  Next