Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun December 17th, 2017, 12:05 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 23:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:
"at this point in time"?

At a point in time that is marked by people constantly announcing what they hate, Dylan releases a set of music, in which he announces what he loves. Instead of attacking a perceived enemy he celebrates his hero (his words, Sydney 1986).

Well, they [wisely] cut out the rants on what he was brainwashed into proclaiming he hated.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 00:05 GMT 

I haven't heard the reported homophobic rants.
But if Bob was full of the old testament, that book (and many just like it)
aren't too big on same sex hooks up's.
Is it Leviticus he quotes from in the show?
If he DID say anything like that i wonder how that made folks like Garcia
and Ginsberg feel.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 00:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

LibraChild1980 wrote:
I haven't heard the reported homophobic rants.
But if Bob was full of the old testament, that book (and many just like it)
aren't too big on same sex hooks up's.
Is it Leviticus he quotes from in the show?
If he DID say anything like that i wonder how that made folks like Garcia
and Ginsberg feel.

Click on the tours in question here and read some of it:
http://www.bjorner.com/still.htm#y79

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 00:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

Toronto 1980

Quote:
Man asked me on the street today, he said, “Well, if you believe all those things,” he said, “I just can't seem to love my enemy.” That's a tough thing to do, you know? That's an impossible thing to do actually. Cause the natural mind, you know, can't comprehend that. So if you’re in the natural mind you just can't comprehend loving your enemy. That seems like a foolish thing to do, and it is. However, the supernatural mind can comprehend that. So when Jesus says “love thy neighbor as thyself,” he wasn't exactly saying “roll over and play dead.” Actually, I wanna tell you a story here. We were playing in…about four months ago someplace, it was a college campus, I forget exactly where, Arizona, I think it was. Is that where it was? Where you there? All right. Anyway, I read the Bible a lot, you know, I mean it just happens I do and…So it says certain things in the Bible that I wasn't really aware of until just recently. And, you know, at universities, you know, it's like…they have a higher learning people there. They teach them different…like philosophies, so people they study all these different philosophies like Plato and who else now? Who? Jimmy Reed. Well, I can't remember all their names. Nietzsche and those people like that. Anyway, in the Bible it has specific…it tells you specific things and in the Book of Daniel, and in the Book of Revelation, which just might apply to these times here. And it says certain wars are gonna, soon about gonna happen. I can't say exactly when, you know, but say, pretty soon anyway and…So, at that time, you know, it mentions a country to the furthermost north and it has its symbol: the bear. It's also is spelt R O S H in the Bible, now, this is written quite a few years ago, so it can't really but apply to one country that I know. Unless you know another country that it can apply to. Maybe you do, I don't. But then there's another country called, I can't remember what the name of it is, but it's in the eastern part of the world and it's got an army of 200 million foot soldiers. Now there's only one country that that could actually be. So anyway, I was telling this story to these people. I shouldn't have been telling it to them, I just got carried away. And…I mentioned to them, “Well, you all watch now because Russia is gonna come down and attack the Middle East.” It says this in the Bible. And I been reading all kinds of books my whole life, magazines, books, whatever I could get my hands on, anywhere, and I never found any truth in any of them, if you wanna know the truth. But these things in the Bible they seem to uplift me and tell me the truth. So I said this country is gonna come down and attack, and all these people, there must have been 50,000…[voice of band member): “If there was one.”] If there was one, that’s right. No, I don’t know, there wasn't 50,000, there was, I don’t know, maybe 3,000, they all just booed. You know, like they usually do, they just booed. I said Russia's gonna attack the Middle East and they all went “boo”. They couldn't hear that, they didn't believe it. And a month, a month later Russia moved their troops into, I think, Afghanistan, it was, and the whole situation changed, you know. I'm not saying this to tell you, you know, that they was wrong and I was right or anything like that. But these things that is mentioned in the Bible I pay mighty close attention to. So it does say that, talking about this man here called Anti-Christ. Now we've had a lot of previews of what the Anti-Christ could be like. We had that Jim Jones, he's like a preview. We had Adolf Hitler, a preview. Anyway, the Anti-Christ is gonna be a little bit different than that. He's gonna bring peace to the world for a certain length of time. But he will eventually be defeated to. Supernaturally defeated. And God will intervene. But you're still gonna have to be aware of these things. You need something strong to hang on to. I don't know what you got to hang on to, but I got something called a solid rock to hang on to that was manifested in the flesh, and justified in the spirit, and seen by angels, preached on in the world.

Hartford 1980

Quote:
So now, when you look around today, when we started out this tour, we started out in San Francisco. And ..., that's a ... San Francisco is a kind of a unique town these days. I think it's either one third or two thirds of the population there are homosexuals. All right! I guess they're working up to a 100 per cent, I don't know. Anyway, it’s a growing place for homosexuals, and I read they have a homosexuals politics, it’s a political party, I don't mean it's going on in somebody’s closet, I mean it's just political. All right, you know what I'm talking about. Anyway would just think ..., I guess the iniquity’s not yet full, and I don't wanna be around when it is!

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 03:20 GMT 

Some of the "sermons" he gave aren't exactly the most well thought out, I'm sure he regrets some of it. But sometimes I think about how important this whole period is, because if he was as beaten down as he said he was prior to his conversion who knows what could've happened. I'm glad it helped him, even if sometimes some of the stuff comes off as harsh.

But anyway...

Regarding the cover, I think it's great. The pose is kinda funny, but so are a lot of the pictures from '81. The packaging as a whole is appealing to me.

I'm so excited for this!

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 03:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

Some of those sermons sound like a certain President of the United States I know

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 03:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

Pretty much.

That makes it all the more interesting to me. Listening to this and then oh mercy followed by Tempest is a story. I have to think Dylan is in a different place, based on what I hear in the songs. Who knows except him though I suppose.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 05:20 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:
Some of those sermons sound like a certain President of the United States I know

Good point, so it's also good that they aren't anywhere in this release. That part in the Rolling Stone article about the Gospel set where Heylin notes how the exclusion of the sermons is "understandable in 2017" says a lot. But they definitely aren't needed to enjoy the songs anyway.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 07:25 GMT 

the exclusion of those sermons might be "understandable". Maybe Bob even feels embarassed by the things he preached almost 40 years ago. I still think it's the wrong decision. It's like trying to appear less "controversial", in a way it's like streamlining a product.
Besides, in the end it doesn't work anyway. How many versions of Slow Train are we going to get with that release? And there are some very controversial lines in that song (controversial by today's standards). And most of the other songs are not about peace and harmony either.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 09:08 GMT 

WrittenInMySoul wrote:
the exclusion of those sermons might be "understandable". Maybe Bob even feels embarassed by the things he preached almost 40 years ago. I still think it's the wrong decision. It's like trying to appear less "controversial", in a way it's like streamlining a product.
Besides, in the end it doesn't work anyway. How many versions of Slow Train are we going to get with that release? And there are some very controversial lines in that song (controversial by today's standards). And most of the other songs are not about peace and harmony either.

It's been a dilemma for them, I'm sure - unless Bob gave them no choice. The raps are embarrassing, and offensive in parts, but often fit with the songs. If nothing else, don't they quite often lead into the start of a song, so we will be getting clipped versions?

When Dylan became a Christian - still the most embarrassing thing to ever happen on planet earth - he didn't become a peace and love 'kumbaya' sort of bible basher; he went the fire and brimstone route. Which made for some interesting music, such as Gotta Serve Somebody, and of course some dreary old rubbish too.

Ultimately I reckon the excision of the rants was inevitable. To paraphrase Woody Allen, let's face it, they wanna sell some records here...

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 09:14 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:

Tsk. I thought Obama's Reverend Wright day's were in the past.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 09:24 GMT 

It's certainly the worst cover of the bootleg series so far. I mean, black with red letters? And the gold letters, man alive, what garish stuff!
It certainly is in the spirit of the 80s but surely this is a retrospective and should convey the current view on the material.
The Basement Tape boot didn't attempt to stay much close to the original Basement Tapes release design, did it? So why this commitment to past design paradigmes?
Looking at the pics, it appears the box itself is to be mainly black as well, which is a big no-no. Not that it matters, I'll be importing the CD to itunes and put the box on the shelf, never to be touched again, but it's still an embarrassment.
If the design is supposed to emulate some sort of visual style of the live shows (a almost exclusively dark stage with a single spotlight on Bob and the singers) it makes sense on some basic level, but that doesn't mean it looks good.

Why not make it closer to "Slow Train"? A sort of earthy (jiffy bag-)brown with lots of extended drawings and the apperance of a brown parcel? That would be more contemporary?

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 09:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

Maybe they let Bob do the front cover again. Wasn't that a theory about some of his recent albums?

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 09:54 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Maybe they let Bob do the front cover again. Wasn't that a theory about some of his recent albums?

I'm not familiar with that theory. If it were true (and who knows?), I would have expected something a lot more interesting from Bob. The Tempest cover is so bad it's actually offensive, a slap in the face. The worst part is the resolutely amateurish scrawl of 'Tempest', with the underlining being a sort of inverse grace note.

Dylan has had some classic album covers, and the Bootleg Series used to take care with cover art. That is no longer the case.

The Tempest cover is credited to a Coco Shinomiya, who also did the perfunctory but at least quite controlled 'Together Through Life', and the execrable 'Bob Dylan
The Complete Album Collection, Vol. 1', plus the Mono box and Chronicles. She has apparently been twice Grammy nominated for her 'artwork'. The mind boggles.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 11:29 GMT 

FieldingMellish wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

I'm not familiar with that theory. If it were true (and who knows?), I would have expected something a lot more interesting from Bob. The Tempest cover is so bad it's actually offensive, a slap in the face. The worst part is the resolutely amateurish scrawl of 'Tempest', with the underlining being a sort of inverse grace note.

Dylan has had some classic album covers, and the Bootleg Series used to take care with cover art. That is no longer the case.

The Tempest cover is credited to a Coco Shinomiya, who also did the perfunctory but at least quite controlled 'Together Through Life', and the execrable 'Bob Dylan
The Complete Album Collection, Vol. 1', plus the Mono box and Chronicles. She has apparently been twice Grammy nominated for her 'artwork'. The mind boggles.

With my hate for the BS13 cover art, I'll have to say I always loved the Tempest cover. It's tasteful, simple and elegant. Certainly conveys the darkness and somber tone of the album.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 12:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

Album covers have never been a strong point of a new Dylan deliverance, though, so no surprise there.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 13:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

ShotofMercy wrote:
Some of the "sermons" he gave aren't exactly the most well thought out, I'm sure he regrets some of it. But sometimes I think about how important this whole period is, because if he was as beaten down as he said he was prior to his conversion who knows what could've happened. I'm glad it helped him, even if sometimes some of the stuff comes off as harsh.

But anyway...

Regarding the cover, I think it's great. The pose is kinda funny, but so are a lot of the pictures from '81. The packaging as a whole is appealing to me.
I'm so excited for this!

the album cover looks super :D
really looking forward to this release too
appreciate the link posted to Gospel shows
also interesting, inspirational & thought provoking at times. more from 1980 homilies;

'I know that some people might not believe there is a Devil at all. I'm not talking about a Devil with a pitchfork.
Are you listening to me? All right, some of you might think of the Devil with a pitchfork and horns and that's not necessarily the Devil at all. I talk about the Devil that at one time was Gods chosen servant. His right hand helper, his right hand man, beautiful angel.
We're talking about that Devil. He's a spiritual Devil and he's got to be overcome.
He has been overcome by what Jesus did at the Cross. I just want to tell you that so you know. That's as short as I can put it. You may not have ever heard that. Well, we are living in the end times. We all agree about that. It's the midnight hour. God wants to know who his people are and who his people aren’t. So draw a line to God, he will draw a line to you. So, anyway I saw Bruce Springsteen he err, ha ha you know Bruce he's born to run. And unless he finds something, he's gonna keep a running. And he'll be chasin' him. But you can't run and you can't hide'

'when Jesus walked into Jerusalem all the people there, shouting, went off and broke branches off the trees.
“Hail! Hail! The King is coming.” But you know it's the same people who did that who shouted to crucify him.
You may never be too sure. However Satan's getting ready to weave his masterpiece and you got to have some strong faith'

'Don't wanna hurt nobody, sometimes you know. I usually see this all the time. You see one man dressed a certain way, and another man dressed another way. And somehow your friendly to the man dressed one way an unfriendly to the man dressed the other way. Sometimes different people in positions in life say that they happen to treat some person one way, just because somebody don't have as much to do with them another way. Well you already judged that person when you called the cards.
I guess some of you wonder "just what is he talking about? It don't make no sense any of this?"
We live in leaderless times. I know we all agree about that. We realize that men will become lovers of their own selves.
Most men are proud and arrogant one thing I know, oh yeah trials and tribulations will come.

But eternal life is yours for the asking. And only God knows the secret of the Heart.
God knows all the secrets, you can't keep nothing from him.
All right now, don't you be deceived now by the mouthings of the truth.
Lot of people pray, you wonder why they praying for. They ought to be praying all week.
Praying all year, there's no doubt about it. You think about that.
The Bible says "you pray you ask for forgiveness." Your assumed of your ungodly love.
It's so easy, you pray you will probably be forgiven. God’s got a few things in store for you.
And I know he's calling his people now.
Some of you are Gods people. Some of you aren't, I don't know who.
But in the last days he's gonna pour out his spirit on all flesh. Now you know if he's called or not, I don't.'

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 14:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

Gosh, it's been the end times since the beginning of time. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 14:38 GMT 

FieldingMellish wrote:

The mind might boggle, but Coco has had a lengthy career as designer, art director and illustrator. See http://www.allmusic.com/artist/coco-shi ... 0001641339

Outside of the albums you name, Coco also did the Theme Time Radio Hour logo and is married to long-time Dylan friend and collaborator, Eddie Gorodetksky.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 14:51 GMT 

So for UK fans, where are we with this latest donation to Sony's bank balance?

Amazon.co.uk - not yet listed, other than £48 for digital version. Excuse me while I cry.
HMV.co.uk - £149.99. No San Diego bonus. Free shipping to UK.
Badlands.co.uk - £134.99. Also no San Diego bonus. Free shipping to UK.
Bob Dylan.com £149.99 plus £11 postage to the UK, includes the San Diego show.

What else is out there?

Personally I'm leaning strongly towards waiting this one out.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 15:01 GMT 

bluegrunt wrote:
... Amazon.co.uk - not yet listed, other than £48 for digital version. Excuse me while I cry....

it is listed, even linked on the ER front page
Amazon.co.uk £175.99 & FREE Delivery in the UK // No San Diego bonus.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 15:02 GMT 

notdarkyet wrote:
bluegrunt wrote:
... Amazon.co.uk - not yet listed, other than £48 for digital version. Excuse me while I cry....

it is listed, even linked on the ER front page
Amazon.co.uk £175.99 & FREE Delivery in the UK // No San Diego bonus.

Thanks. Says something about Amazon's site that I spent 10 minutes trying - and failing - to find it.
Or maybe says something about me! :oops:

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 15:06 GMT 

WrittenInMySoul wrote:

Spot on. Its the soy bomb guy all over again, theyr re-writing history.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 15:21 GMT 

bluegrunt wrote:
So for UK fans, where are we with this latest donation to Sony's bank balance?

Amazon.co.uk - not yet listed, other than £48 for digital version. Excuse me while I cry.
HMV.co.uk - £149.99. No San Diego bonus. Free shipping to UK.
Badlands.co.uk - £134.99. Also no San Diego bonus. Free shipping to UK.
Bob Dylan.com £149.99 plus £11 postage to the UK, includes the San Diego show.

What else is out there?

Personally I'm leaning strongly towards waiting this one out.

bd.com 169,99 Euro plus 28 Euros (! WTF??) postage to Germany (incl. San Diego show)
cheapest offer is 131 Euros at jpc.de (without San Diego) – they also deliver to the UK !

Last edited by slewan on Sun September 24th, 2017, 15:21 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 15:21 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Gosh, it's been the end times since the beginning of time. :roll:

Time is a human phenomenon, not a Divine one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 58  Next