Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 12th, 2017, 08:05 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 14:22 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:
"at this point in time"?

At a point in time that is marked by people constantly announcing what they hate, Dylan releases a set of music, in which he announces what he loves. Instead of attacking a perceived enemy he celebrates his hero (his words, Sydney 1986). You gotta serve somebody.

I strongly agree.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 14:26 GMT 

I like how the colors on Trouble No More echo both the Saved and Slow Train album covers. The font color of "Bob Dylan" parallels Slow train, and the image colors are like "Saved" it's a mash up of both albums.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 14:42 GMT 

LibraChild1980 wrote:
Quote:
I think people explaining the pose on the cover as a deliberate nod to crucifixion etc. are reading way, way too much into it. Either way, it's a terrible photo and the cover is a mess. Is it apt that it looks like an amateur bootleg cover? Maybe they should downgrade the sound too, for extra authenticity?

And never mind 'Triplicate', what about the abomination they gave us for 'Tempest'?

Well, i don't know about you, maybe the thought just didn't occur to you,
but when i see a man posing with his arms out by his sides, on the cover
of a Gospel album, it didn't take any deep thought to arrive at the notion
that the clever folk at Sony might well have noted the very same thing i did,
and i noted it upon sight of seeing the cover, no deep thought required there.

Regarding quality, its a live album, so a photo of Dylan on stage from the era
of the recordings seems apt. So the concept is quite sound, however things
become subjective when it comes to choice of the photo used, and fonts.
Some may find the fonts garish, others may appreciate them, there's no
right or wrong answer to that i guess.

Thirdly, Triplicate.
Dylan has mentioned in interview (also in the 2001 Italian Press Conference i think)
that he associates certain sounds within music to certain colours, he's not
unique in that, ive met quite a lot of musicians saying the same thing, so it could
well have been at the request of Dylan that they used the colour scheme that we got.
Of course, maybe he had no part to play in the sleeve at all, unless he speaks about
it, then we won't know. The font for the title 'Triplicate' is very Ye Olde English isn't
it, i'm no expert on lettering, and what styles of lettering come from what eras in
history, but it would appear he/label were aiming for simple and classy looking.
Some may agree that's what was achieved, others may hate it.
It is was it is. But i'd be interested to know if the music/colour aspect came
into play here.

The Triplicate artwork clearly was inspired by a 1999 compilation released on Rhino (see attachment). Interestingly the 1999 album is a gospel compilation. The font used on both Triplicate and that compilation album is Goudy Text, which was based on the movable type created by Gutenberg for the first printed edition of the bible.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 14:43 GMT 

Could have been a worse cover, remember 'Good As I Been To You' complete
with the by then six year old photo on the back with Dylan in his leather pants
True Confessions days.
Or worse still.....the shot of love cover :shock:

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 14:46 GMT 

Alouette wrote:
album cover looks great

I guess I am in this camp, regarding the album cover discussion

any album cover featuring a concert pic from my favorite Dylan year would be cool with me

not sure during which song this particular shot was taken, been watching loads of my few dvds from 1981 today, major pointing left and right going on during "Let's Begin" (but without guitar around the neck), "Thin Man", "Shot of Love", and during the last verse of "When You Gonna Wake Up" [there's a man on a cross, ...], very enjoyable concert footage all of them, so the cover pic speaks volumes to me

by the way, if I am not mistaken, this is the first official release with a pic of Dylan in concert on the cover since "Real Live"

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 14:47 GMT 

http://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/download/file.php?id=6480&mode=view

It does look uncannily similar doesn't it.
It's not an album i'd have ever come across, so it's not a comparison
that was readily available to me until just now.
What is 'movable text'? Sounds intriguing.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 14:50 GMT 

Quote:
by the way, if I am not mistaken, this is the first official release with a pic of Dylan in concert on the cover since "Real Live"

The 39 Years Of Great Performances had Dylan on the cover in concert.
Actually, i think from 1981 now i come to think about it.
That's an official live album.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 14:53 GMT 

LibraChild1980 wrote:
http://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/download/file.php?id=6480&mode=view

It does look uncannily similar doesn't it.
It's not an album i'd have ever come across, so it's not a comparison
that was readily available to me until just now.
What is 'movable text'? Sounds intriguing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movable_type

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 14:58 GMT 

LibraChild1980 wrote:
Quote:

The 39 Years Of Great Performances had Dylan on the cover in concert.
Actually, i think from 1981 now i come to think about it.
That's an official live album.

thanks, I stand corrected, how could I have missed that one, when looking through my official releases shelves, and that pic on that release is definitely from 1981 [even with the same jacket] (with "Dead Man" from New Orleans the only 79-81 track included), I purchased that CD here in Cork in March 2001; it is the only official Dylan release, where I was present during the recording (well, 3/16th of it), having attended both Portsmouth shows half a year earlier

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 17:19 GMT 

Also Unplugged, and if we consider it a live album the 30th anniversary celebration has Dylan live on the cover.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 17:29 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
I was going to be very critical of both the artwork and the tracklisting - but having seen the photos of the full set on the Dylan website, I'm now very enthusiastic.

My initial thoughts were that they were underplaying this release so they wouldn't saturate the market before the big Blood on the Tracks box set next year. However, the full photos on the official site look like another treat of a box set. Count me in!

I'm slightly disappointed that the tracklist doesn't contain any obvious surprises, but it's all good stuff. Having a DVD is a step in the right direction for the bootleg series. Hopefully we'll get some RTR/Hard Rain footage with the BOTT BS14 release.

Edit to add: Have we been writing 'Cover Down Breakthrough' wrong all these years? :lol:

Is the BOTT BS14 set confirmed then? If so, do you have any more info on it or can you point me to where there is info?

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 17:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

The Bootleg Series continues to deliver.

The set is amazing. With an actual focus on the gospel songs (I assumed to reach a broad demographic they’d include about 50% 60’s songs from the 80 and 81 shows.)

And the first 2 discs all live. With 2 full live shows!

The purpose of this series is clearly to complete the story that the official releases don’t fully tell. Well done again.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 18:10 GMT 

motherwell wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:
Does anyone know: If I order the deluxe from bobdylan.com, will the dvd be region 1?

That's a bloody good question. I never thought about it when I ordered it. I can only hope that as they ship word wide, it will be region free. If not I will just have to use software to make a region free copy myself.

Does anyone know? The price on bd.com is tempting, but not with the hassle of cracking region coding...

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 18:44 GMT 

dylanstones2016 wrote:
gibsona07 wrote:
I was going to be very critical of both the artwork and the tracklisting - but having seen the photos of the full set on the Dylan website, I'm now very enthusiastic.

My initial thoughts were that they were underplaying this release so they wouldn't saturate the market before the big Blood on the Tracks box set next year. However, the full photos on the official site look like another treat of a box set. Count me in!

I'm slightly disappointed that the tracklist doesn't contain any obvious surprises, but it's all good stuff. Having a DVD is a step in the right direction for the bootleg series. Hopefully we'll get some RTR/Hard Rain footage with the BOTT BS14 release.

Edit to add: Have we been writing 'Cover Down Breakthrough' wrong all these years? :lol:

Is the BOTT BS14 set confirmed then? If so, do you have any more info on it or can you point me to where there is info?

If the next volume is not "Blood On The Tracks", what other era could it possibly be? The only eras not yet represented (either by the Bootleg Series or the Copyright Extension sets) are "Infidels" through "Down In The Groove" and everything post-"Tell Tale Signs".

I'm not angry at Sony for not (yet) releasing a BOTT collection, but it certainly is a title that would (a) get overwhelming critical praise and (b) generate revenues fior all concerned. A no-brainer, in other words.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 18:48 GMT 

I’d love to see a BS covering the NET but I guess that won’t happen until it ends, ironically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 18:51 GMT 

Could some kind soul give me an idea of the top bootlegs from each year, 79,80,81? Im in need of updating this period and looking for the best quality sounding recordings.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 18:58 GMT 

dylanstones2016 wrote:
gibsona07 wrote:

They are working on several sets, but the Blood On The Tracks Sessions appear to be the most likely choice for BS 14. See also: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85554&p=1776043#p1776043

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 19:10 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Does anyone know? The price on bd.com is tempting, but not with the hassle of cracking region coding...

I had the same worries and asked them, and they say the DVD is region free !
:)

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 19:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

2 Sinatra releases followed by more "Jesus" era stuff.

Stop the train folks, This is where I get off.

Didn't buy the last 2 releases, won't buy this one either. Let me know when Bob Dylan gets interesting again.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 19:14 GMT 

LibraChild1980 wrote:
Well, i don't know about you, maybe the thought just didn't occur to you,
but when i see a man posing with his arms out by his sides, on the cover
of a Gospel album, it didn't take any deep thought to arrive at the notion
that the clever folk at Sony might well have noted the very same thing i did,
and i noted it upon sight of seeing the cover, no deep thought required there.

I see. So you assume that it didn't occur to me (dolt that I am), but you and the clever folk at Sony are at one in your wisdom? Wise the f**k up.

LibraChild1980 wrote:
Regarding quality, its a live album, so a photo of Dylan on stage from the era
of the recordings seems apt. So the concept is quite sound, however things
become subjective when it comes to choice of the photo used, and fonts.
Some may find the fonts garish, others may appreciate them, there's no
right or wrong answer to that i guess.

Is it a live album? I thought it was a box set containing live and studio material. But then I don't have your special insights into the thinking at Sony.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 19:23 GMT 

Quote:
thanks, I stand corrected, how could I have missed that one, when looking through my official releases shelves, and that pic on that release is definitely from 1981 even with the same jacket (with "Dead Man" from New Orleans the only 79-81 track included), I purchased that CD here in Cork in March 2001; it is the only official Dylan release, where I was present during the recording (well, 3/16th of it), having attended both Portsmouth shows half a year earlier

Image[/quote]

Im SOOO jealous now, the second night Portsmouth show is in my top five live bootleg concerts.
When i mentioned the ''39 years....'' album earlier on today, i went and put the CD and jumped
directly to 'Things Have Changed' and it struck me it might be fun comparing it to the bootleg,
and i'd swear that Sony have lifted the bootlegged track and put it out, i can't even hear any
basic changing of volume levels.
The cover to ''39 Years...' is really good, i thought he looked very cool (i hate that word but it applies here)
for most of that years shows. I wonder if all the haters of the BS 13 cover are also equally
unhappy with the ''39 Years....'' album?

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 19:31 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:
Could some kind soul give me an idea of the top bootlegs from each year, 79,80,81? Im in need of updating this period and looking for the best quality sounding recordings.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=91597

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 19:35 GMT 

LibraChild1980 wrote:
I wonder if all the haters of the BS 13 cover are also equally
unhappy with the ''39 Years....'' album?

No. The 39 years cover is fine: well designed, and the photo is good. It's worlds apart, in fact.

You must not assume that people who do not go into ecstasies over ever aspect of every Dylan release are 'haters', that is a very reductive worldview.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 20:18 GMT 

WantedMan2 wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:

I had the same worries and asked them, and they say the DVD is region free !
:)

What joyous news! Clever bastards ;)

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 23:27 GMT 
Promethium Member

You're not complete without the 5 postcards.
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/bob-dylan-trouble-no-more-the-bootleg-series-vol-13-1979/hnum/7798189

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 58  Next