Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 12th, 2017, 04:42 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Thu July 20th, 2017, 07:11 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
His first album was pretty religious

That's quite true. I've often wondered why such a young man would introduce himself to the wider world via an album with a primary theme of 'Death', and from a mostly Christian viewpoint long before his future conversion. And it was quite deliberate. Did he not choose for his eponymous debut an album of songs that he had not been concurrently performing in concert?

PostPosted: Thu July 20th, 2017, 13:45 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:
goodmeats wrote:
His first album was pretty religious

That's quite true. I've often wondered why such a young man would introduce himself to the wider world via an album with a primary theme of 'Death', and from a mostly Christian viewpoint long before his future conversion. And it was quite deliberate. Did he not choose for his eponymous debut an album of songs that he had not been concurrently performing in concert?

That's the story, although I don't know exactly how much truth there is to it. I read somewhere that he wanted to make a big splash with the debut album, so he essentially cherry-picked the repertoire of other folk singers he knew at the time to create a best-of. But in general they weren't songs he'd been performing. Again, I don't know how much truth there is to this anecdote. Doesn't seem like the whole story to me!

PostPosted: Thu July 20th, 2017, 17:30 GMT 
Mercury Member

I guess we've drifted a bit from the main point of the thread, but for what it's worth to understand the first album one needs to look at the entire sessions, not just what was released on the album. I kinda doubt he had complete control over what was, or wasn't, included... though as CBS were dealing with a 'phenomenon' (and one that didn't actually sell very well at that time) they may have given him more leeway than the average artist just because they didn't know what to do with 'Hammond's folly'.

They did run a simultaneous campaign, complete with cardboard cut-outs, trying to sell 'Dylan Hats' as seen on the cover....

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 05:18 GMT 

Pure and utter speculation.

Mojo says of the Trouble No More film:

Trouble No More: A Musical Film, directed by Jennifer Lebeau, has been selected to premiere at the prestigious 2017 New York Film Festival. We’ll tell you more about this when we’re allowed. Let’s just say that, as curveballs go, it’s Dylan-sized.

http://www.mojo4music.com/25761/bob-dylan-bootleg-13-trouble-no-more-gospel-years/

Possibility, perhaps, that Dylan recorded something extra at the Ardmore studios? Just me thinking aloud--I know it's a long shot.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 08:21 GMT 

Foggy wrote:
Pure and utter speculation.

Mojo says of the Trouble No More film:

Trouble No More: A Musical Film, directed by Jennifer Lebeau, has been selected to premiere at the prestigious 2017 New York Film Festival. We’ll tell you more about this when we’re allowed. Let’s just say that, as curveballs go, it’s Dylan-sized.

http://www.mojo4music.com/25761/bob-dylan-bootleg-13-trouble-no-more-gospel-years/

Possibility, perhaps, that Dylan recorded something extra at the Ardmore studios? Just me thinking aloud--I know it's a long shot.

It also says the film features "extraordinary live footage from 1980 intercut with new dramatic material written by Luc Sante and performed by Academy Award nominated actor Michael Shannon." No mention of newly recorded Dylan parts. So far Dylan has never gotten actively involved with the Bootleg Series releases (at least not in a way that was documented) and certainly has never added new recordings to go with the archive material. The Ardmore sessions must have been recorded for another project.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 09:50 GMT 

And it's bugging the s*** out of me as to what that project is...

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 11:54 GMT 

Definitely not related to the Gospel documentary... these sessions were directed by John Hillcoat.

It's bugging me too, Judas. It doesn't seem to be a session of recordings for an album (Bob would surely not allow a film crew to infiltrate that), but perhaps the filming of a promotional video or bonus DVD for an album that was recorded at an earlier date, or perhaps for a live album/DVD release.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 14:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

I'm beginning to seriously suspect a Christmas tv special.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 14:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

Maybe along these lines:

http://nypost.com/2015/12/01/bill-murra ... oliday-tv/

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 15:41 GMT 

smoke wrote:
I'm beginning to seriously suspect a Christmas tv special.

Haha!! Dylan performing Christmas carols on tape would be a dream come true, but perhaps is too good to be true.

He did share that Roland James Christmas story recently — perhaps a hint at what's to come.

edit: Saying this now in case I'm right: Mark my words, this will be a performance video of gospel songs, and one of those songs will be - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LentzBblyQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8