Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat December 16th, 2017, 07:26 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 05:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

Nappy wrote:
$190.

Thanks, but no thanks.

I'm seeing that the iTunes download is $80.

Still a ripoff but at least it's potentially doable. I don't need picture books or other crap...at least not if they more than double the price.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 05:18 GMT 

I'm praying that the bonus 2-disc live set will be pretty easily available to purchase on eBay. I would really rather buy from Amazon because 1) it's cheaper; with my employee discount, I'm only paying $172.05 2) it's faster; they will get it to me ON release date, not SHIP IT on release date and 3) they won't charge me till a few days before it ships and I need the time to save up for it.

I really want that bonus live set though. I know other bonus discs like Live At Carnegie Hall 1963 and In Concert: Brandeis University 1963 are easy and cheap to find, but I think those were general pre-order bonuses, not for just one store (BobDylan.com), so there might be less of them this time.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 05:48 GMT 

So, finally I know what this long anticipated BS release is going to look like.
On first glance, I'm quite happy with this release. I think I'm going to settle for the deluxe release.
Of course there is a lot about this collection not to like. All the songs they left out, no sermons...
But I'm really looking forward to listen to the concert recordings in (hopefully) great quality.

The cover picture is just horrible, though...

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 06:44 GMT 

mystic garden wrote:
Dylan's sermons have been removed?! So disappointing!

I'm with Heylin in saying that removing the sermons removes some of the power in the performances. Sure, remove them on the compilation-type discs of 1 & 2, but if you're showcasing a complete show, the whole audio should really be there from beginning to end.

I think, along with some of the missing outtakes, that we at ER should try put together a 'complete box set' once it's released.

I agree it should be there, dissapointing if its not. And yes that would be good, a 'complete' box set to go with this release.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 06:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

WrittenInMySoul wrote:

He's doing a crucifixion pose. Messiah complex much.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 06:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

my precious time wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:
Well, 36 discs ('66 box) only cost 2/3 of that.

They are fine-tuning the prices.
The Cutting Edge Collector's Edition sold too slowly. The 66 box probably sold "too fast" which means they could have sold it for a higher price.
So now they're increasing the price and see what happens. :?

But that's apples & oranges. Certainly, the mid-'60s stuff is more widely appealing & easier to sell than the gospel years.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 07:05 GMT 

Maybe I'm just being stupid, but people keep talking about 9 CDs and 2 DVDs - what I see on Amazon and other places is 8 CDs and 1 DVD. Please send a link to clarify!

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 07:07 GMT 
Senior Moderator

WrittenInMySoul wrote:

I think the pictures tend to look better when you actually see them on the physical object. The Trouble No More image is certainly striking. There's obviously an allusion to the crucifixion pose so prominent in western art. William Holman Hunt's densely symbolic painting of 1875 The Shadow of Death in which Jesus and Mary his mother see the crucifixion prefigured while he works in the carpenters shop before beginning his public life is an example.

The arms outstretched pose was also used by early Christians during prayer as depicted in this picture from the Roman catacombs.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 07:08 GMT 

If you look at it as individual cds it is cheap, but its not as a whole, a box set is a big buy for the average jo with average income debt ect. If they took a tenner from me weekly leading up to the release i could cope with that. But like most of these big boxes i will buy the smaller package and aquire the big one.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 07:15 GMT 

charlesdarwin wrote:
WrittenInMySoul wrote:

I think the pictures tend to look better when you actually see them on the physical object. The Trouble No More image is certainly striking. There's obviously an allusion to the crucifixion pose so prominent in western art. William Holman Hunt's densely symbolic painting of 1875 The Shadow of Death in which Jesus and Mary his mother see the crucifixion prefigured while he works in the carpenters shop before beginning his public life is an example.

The arms outstretched pose was also used by early Christians during prayer as depicted in this picture from the Roman catacombs.

Great post, Charles. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 07:22 GMT 

CS_Nielsen wrote:
Maybe I'm just being stupid, but people keep talking about 9 CDs and 2 DVDs - what I see on Amazon and other places is 8 CDs and 1 DVD. Please send a link to clarify!
There's 8 CDs, 1 DVD, but if you buy from BobDylan.com you get a bonus 2-disc live set. Maybe you're seeing people talking about that and getting confused?

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 07:32 GMT 

Do we know much about the DVD documentary? Is it the one by Scorcese (wasn't he supposed to do a gospel documentary about Bob or am I getting my wires crossed?)? Will it be a real documentary like No Directio Home (documentary proper) or just a bunch of live footage stringed together between interviews with sound engineers no ones heard of?
And, yeah, I can't wait either!

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 07:34 GMT 

Pre-ordered the deluxe set from bobdylan.com and hoping to get the additional 2 disc set.
No prompt came up so hope it is in the package when it arrives, if not there will be some very unhappy people around here!
Don't want to pre-judge but is this looking to be another bobdylan.com/Sony screw-up?

Cost was nearly 200 Euro, incl 28 Euro tracked courier

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 07:36 GMT 

Hi guys,

Just a question - I have never ordered from the BD official store before - do they charge on ordering or do they charge on shipping?

Also, do they ship to arrive close to release date (like Amazon would) or do they only ship on the actual release date?

Thanks!

JV

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 07:46 GMT 

orange_knickers wrote:
Hi guys,

Just a question - I have never ordered from the BD official store before - do they charge on ordering or do they charge on shipping?

Also, do they ship to arrive close to release date (like Amazon would) or do they only ship on the actual release date.

Thanks!

JV

They try to deliver on the release date.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 07:53 GMT 

Berrie wrote:
orange_knickers wrote:
Hi guys,

Also, do they ship to arrive close to release date (like Amazon would) or do they only ship on the actual release date.

Thanks!

JV

They try to deliver on the release date.

Thank you! Just placed my order.
:)

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 08:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Do we know much about the DVD documentary?

Quote:
A professionally filmed show from Toronto's Massey Hall in April of 1980 has been traded within bootleg circles for decades, but the film component of Trouble No More (which premieres at the New York Film Festival on October 2nd) has never been seen. It was shot during another show in Toronto and a Buffalo gig later that month and include scenes of the band rehearsing. "We're assuming it was filmed for a possible television special," says the source. "It's so long ago that nobody can remember." The footage is shockingly intimate with the camera crew actually having access to the stage, capturing incredible moments like Dylan belting out "Pressing On" at the piano and rehearsing Dion's "Abraham, Martin and John" with a backup singer.

To flesh out the film, Dylan's team hired actor Michael Shannon to portray a preacher and read sermons written by essayist Luc Sante. "We wanted to do something that could be timeless and make it more of a piece rather than a strict concert or formal documentary," says the source. "And you can't ask for a better actor than Michael Shannon." Dylan delivered his own sermons on the gospel tours, often speaking for upwards of 15 minutes and warning the audience about an impending apocalypse. "We've had a lot of previews of what the Anti-Christ could be like," he said to the crowd at a Toronto show. "We had that Jim Jones, he's like a preview. We had Adolf Hitler, a preview. Anyway, the Anti-Christ is gonna be a little bit different than that. He's gonna bring peace to the world for a certain length of time. But he will eventually be defeated to. Supernaturally defeated. And God will intervene."

None of these will be included on the set. "You had to be there at the time for those things to really work," says the Dylan source. "We wanted to find something that would be a little more dynamic." Heylin, who quotes Dylan's sermons at length in his book, is disappointed by the decision to leave them off the set. "It does slightly dull the edge," he says. "I do think that there was an element of power, particularly in the live performances, that comes from some of the things that Dylan was saying between the songs. This does tone down some of the seriously apocalyptic nature of Dylan's performances and some of the things he was writing. I guess that's understandable in 2017."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bob-dylans-new-bootleg-series-will-spotlight-gospel-period-w502023

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 08:20 GMT 

arcadian wrote:
Pre-ordered the deluxe set from bobdylan.com and hoping to get the additional 2 disc set.
No prompt came up so hope it is in the package when it arrives, if not there will be some very unhappy people around here!
Don't want to pre-judge but is this looking to be another bobdylan.com/Sony screw-up?

My understanding is that if you are not prompted to select the 2-CD bonus it is no longer available.

I saw the special offer too late (yesterday evening), when I assumed it was no longer available.

Can anybody clarify this? Is the 2-CD bonus still available? In the US store? In the EU store? I read they had 500 copies of the bonus 2-CD set for the EU store.

A complete 1979 show was probably the one thing I was looking forward to the most, so I guess I will have to fork over the dollars on eBay. It's Dylan, so it needs to be done.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 08:38 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
arcadian wrote:

My understanding is that if you are not prompted to select the 2-CD bonus it is no longer available.

I saw the special offer too late (yesterday evening), when I assumed it was no longer available.

Can anybody clarify this? Is the 2-CD bonus still available? In the US store? In the EU store? I read they had 500 copies of the bonus 2-CD set for the EU store.

A complete 1979 show was probably the one thing I was looking forward to the most, so I guess I will have to fork over the dollars on eBay. It's Dylan, so it needs to be done.

I emailed Sandbag (who are handling the European shipments) this morning and 0930GMT received this:

The bonus cd's come as standard so you'll definitely be receiving them
Unquote

I'm trusting them to know what they are doing.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 08:51 GMT 

I'm echoing arcadian...

Hi there,

The bonus CD's are a standard so you'll definitely be receiving them. Apologies for any confusion.

Kind regards,

Sandbag

Got this a few minutes ago, all is well in bobworld.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 09:13 GMT 

Sad to see the absence of Saved from Toronto. One of my favourites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIUNftAi_z4

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 09:15 GMT 

einnor66 wrote:
crazy pricing, €170 for the deluxe set (incl 2cd bonus set) is way too much

€ 170 for 11 discs (bobdylan.com pre-order version: 8 CDs + 1 DVD + 2 CDs) is € 15 per disc. That's a normal price.

normal prices for normal cds, that would have been ok.
but this isn't so.
you are comparing apples with pears.
this music was recorded years ago, it didn't cost much to edit the perfomances and to press them on cds. and don't tell us, it would be so expensive to make the book, this would be wrong too. the price has nearly nothing to do with the costs of the manufactering. it's a market-price.
so - as we can see here on er, the actual price is moneymaking at its best. lots of folks are willing to pay it.
i don't understand all those who try to argue that this price is ok or normal.
no, it isn't!
today you pay for most of the double cds not much more than for a single cd - at least in germany.
so i think the price for 9 discs (plus 2 cds, which are declared to be free bonus-cds) shouldn't be higher than about 90 Euros - that would be normal and fair, the rest is greed (and btw: bob castigates greed in some oh his religious songs. that's self-righteous and hypocritical.
Sorry that i have to say this, bob!

and another btw: columbia tried to tempt us with the bonus-cds (are they only for those, who order at once or for all?). you can read is above: some did order at once fearing that otherwise they wouldn't get the san diego show.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 09:27 GMT 

arcadian wrote:

I just pre-ordered from bobdylan.com and got the prompt & confirmation about the 2 disk San Diego.
Btw do they deliver pretty much on time when you order through the site?

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 09:50 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:
Do we know much about the DVD documentary?

Quote:
A professionally filmed show from Toronto's Massey Hall in April of 1980 has been traded within bootleg circles for decades, but the film component of Trouble No More (which premieres at the New York Film Festival on October 2nd) has never been seen. It was shot during another show in Toronto and a Buffalo gig later that month and include scenes of the band rehearsing. "We're assuming it was filmed for a possible television special," says the source. "It's so long ago that nobody can remember." The footage is shockingly intimate with the camera crew actually having access to the stage, capturing incredible moments like Dylan belting out "Pressing On" at the piano and rehearsing Dion's "Abraham, Martin and John" with a backup singer.

To flesh out the film, Dylan's team hired actor Michael Shannon to portray a preacher and read sermons written by essayist Luc Sante. "We wanted to do something that could be timeless and make it more of a piece rather than a strict concert or formal documentary," says the source. "And you can't ask for a better actor than Michael Shannon." Dylan delivered his own sermons on the gospel tours, often speaking for upwards of 15 minutes and warning the audience about an impending apocalypse. "We've had a lot of previews of what the Anti-Christ could be like," he said to the crowd at a Toronto show. "We had that Jim Jones, he's like a preview. We had Adolf Hitler, a preview. Anyway, the Anti-Christ is gonna be a little bit different than that. He's gonna bring peace to the world for a certain length of time. But he will eventually be defeated to. Supernaturally defeated. And God will intervene."

None of these will be included on the set. "You had to be there at the time for those things to really work," says the Dylan source. "We wanted to find something that would be a little more dynamic." Heylin, who quotes Dylan's sermons at length in his book, is disappointed by the decision to leave them off the set. "It does slightly dull the edge," he says. "I do think that there was an element of power, particularly in the live performances, that comes from some of the things that Dylan was saying between the songs. This does tone down some of the seriously apocalyptic nature of Dylan's performances and some of the things he was writing. I guess that's understandable in 2017."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bob-dylans-new-bootleg-series-will-spotlight-gospel-period-w502023

Thanks. Does that mean the Shannon stuff was never even shot? And what exactly is left then of the documentary aspect?

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 11:22 GMT 

@Anr Bjotk. No, it means no original Dylan-speeches were included. The Shannon-parts are in it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 58  Next