Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 24th, 2017, 06:07 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 22:25 GMT 

Been listening to a few shows overnight.
Im going to miss the 'raps' but it was inevitable that they were left out really.

Agree with the post above about them largely avoiding what is out there in great quality already (in particular New Orleans '81).
Good news.

The bonus discs from bd.com really make this great for me. Love '79!

While I will miss "Let's keep it between us", you gotta love the irony of it being left out.
Maybe someone at Sony has a sense of humour? ;)

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 22:29 GMT 

I haven't been this stoked for a Bootleg Series release since the Rolling Thunder Revue set !!

This the one I've been waiting for since....well, since the time when the whole Christian soldier (or at least his public expression of it) seemed to wane.

I saw Bob up in New Hampshire in 1988 and began to wonder where it had gone, and what an epic that whole period had been. Changed him and to some extent changed a lot of people.

Good to, finally, have the more comprehensive Bootleg compilation on the way. Sign me up for the deluxe edition.

Psyched! Woo and hoo!

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 22:29 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Well, 36 discs ('66 box) only cost 2/3 of that.

... which only shows how much more valuable every track from 79-81 is in comparison to the sixties stuff

from the 66 repetition splash I only purchased the London vinyl, and from the cutting edge thing only the two disc edition, but from this 79-81 release I gladly did, no matter what the price tag was, order the largest package available

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 23:16 GMT 
Promethium Member

notdarkyet wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

... which only shows how much more valuable every track from 79-81 is in comparison to the sixties stuff

from the 66 repetition splash I only purchased the London vinyl, and from the cutting edge thing only the two disc edition, but from this 79-81 release I gladly did, no matter what the price tag was, order the largest package available

Yeah. Or it's more expensive because less people will be interested enough to buy it.

Me, I don't care, I can wait six months or a year until they shove it in the bargain bin.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 23:58 GMT 

No Abraham, Martin and John???

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 00:08 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
einnor66 wrote:
crazy pricing, €170 for the deluxe set (incl 2cd bonus set) is way too much

€ 170 for 11 discs (bobdylan.com pre-order version: 8 CDs + 1 DVD + 2 CDs) is € 15 per disc. That's a normal price.

People keep saying this. It's not a normal price. Regular brand-new CDs now cost about ten bucks. And honestly a boxset should always be on average less per disc than what a single disc would cost - they always used to be, when CDs were 15-20 bucks. In any case, a set like this should cost ~$100. (Yes, I know you're talking euros; it amounts to the same point.)

And via Amazon the price likely WILL go down to close that - but you won't have the extra San Diego CDs, which is frustrating.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 00:13 GMT 

Ordered the deluxe set. I was at Earls Court, 3 nights in '78 and 3 in '81. If I recall correctly 'Slow Train' was played as an instrumental (band only) before one or more of the shows in '78.

I have seen Dylan close to 50 times. He was totally into it during this period - the DVD could be brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 00:19 GMT 

tensteel wrote:

Or Barbara Allen. Fans at Earls Court in '81 were calling out for the old songs, Dylan with shades on, said ,'So you want old songs, try this one, its real old', before launching in to a fine version of Barbara Allen.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 00:23 GMT 

Screw it I'm getting the deluxe and the vinyl.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 00:33 GMT 

Looking forward to this. I've mostly avoided the bootleg stuff from this era, aside from some Youtube clips (and I did once download the Toronto show but never played it.)

Because of this, I don't really have any particular expectations going into this title. All I know is that back in 2013, Vol. 10 really reshaped my understanding of Bob's 1969-71 era, I think I'm just looking for much the same after diving into all of these discs (plus the documentary). As much as I appreciate the embarassment of riches made available in recent years as far as Bob's 1960's output is concerned, it is part of Bob's career that has been written about and discussed to death. Vol. 13 will mostly be new to me. Can't wait.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 00:36 GMT 

Ordered the deluxe version with the San Diego concert. Yay! :D

Also, I like the cover picture. I think it's perfect for this box set.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 00:49 GMT 
Promethium Member

The Bard wrote:

While I will miss "Let's keep it between us", you gotta love the irony of it being left out.
Maybe someone at Sony has a sense of humour? ;)

Haha, they are keeping it to themselves, aren't they??!!

Huck27 wrote:
tensteel wrote:

Or Barbara Allen. Fans at Earls Court in '81 were calling out for the old songs, Dylan with shades on, said ,'So you want old songs, try this one, its real old', before launching in to a fine version of Barbara Allen.

That would seem to confirm it's one show...I say seem to because they just might leave it off anyway!

I guess I have to agree: it's fantastic to be getting full shows from Earl's Court instead of, say, the whole New Orleans or Houston shows that we already have.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 01:01 GMT 

Th distorted backing vocals on the promo track are bothering me, mainly because I fear this may be the best sq of the live stuff given that they have led with it. And there's some tape hiss as well. I was hoping for better even if Bob's vocal and the guitars sound fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 01:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

You mean the Amazon sample? I think those often sound crappy, I wouldn't be too worried. They are aiming to knock people's socks off - especially with the first "single".

Does anybody know ANYTHING about:
Making a Liar Out of Me ????

It's a great title.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 01:41 GMT 

Bit weird that there's a "Sorry we don't ship to Hong Kong" message from the bobdylan.com site. I ordered The Cutting Edge as soon as it was available to my HK address without any problem. Assume it will be up on Amazon soon enough.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 01:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

I want a jacket like Bob's.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 01:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

I'll take the traditional brick & mortar route on the day of release,
to listen right away, not pay shipping, pay less, and not hassle with ordering.
Has worked seamlessly every time.

Awesome patience y'all have though. Glad it's on it's way!

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 02:00 GMT 

TimeandTempo wrote:
I remember reading in some book (Behind the Shades probably) that Saved was originally going to be a live album, but that Columbia didn't like the product due to initial bad reactions during the tour. They had a full album cut and ready to ship out, and then shelved it at the last minute and ordered the recording of Saved.

Does anyone know what this live album would've consisted of?
I think it was supposed to be Saved, but just all the tracks were live versions- might be wrong though.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 02:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

I thought it was a 3 record set...but that the exact contents have never been confirmed.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 02:15 GMT 

Dylan's sermons have been removed?! So disappointing!

I'm with Heylin in saying that removing the sermons removes some of the power in the performances. Sure, remove them on the compilation-type discs of 1 & 2, but if you're showcasing a complete show, the whole audio should really be there from beginning to end.

I think, along with some of the missing outtakes, that we at ER should try put together a 'complete box set' once it's released.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 02:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

mystic garden wrote:
I think, along with some of the missing outtakes, that we at ER should try put together a 'complete box set' once it's released.

No doubt that someone will.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 03:06 GMT 

I'm so excited for this! "When You Gonna Wake Up?" sounded great (though I hear what people are saying about the backup singers- but aren't we hear for Dylan?) and I'm so excited to hear other live performances with such great quality. Also I really love the album art? It's definitely odd, but it's growing on me every time I see it. Definitely springing for the Deluxe version.

Finally found something that tore me away from listening to Blood On The Tracks and Tempest on repeat :lol: . Going to look up some '81 shows now to hold me over

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 03:28 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Awesome patience y'all have though. Glad it's on it's way!

It's a slow train coming, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 04:42 GMT 

$190.

Thanks, but no thanks.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 05:00 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:

They are fine-tuning the prices.
The Cutting Edge Collector's Edition sold too slowly. The 66 box probably sold "too fast" which means they could have sold it for a higher price.
So now they're increasing the price and see what happens. :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 30  Next