Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu December 14th, 2017, 07:56 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 58  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 20:02 GMT 

Joined: Sat January 3rd, 2009, 12:12 GMT
Posts: 44
Would’ve liked to see 'Fever' on there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 20:07 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 16th, 2009, 12:57 GMT
Posts: 802
Bob has covered Little Willie John´s Fever in the studio? :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 20:17 GMT 

Joined: Sun March 29th, 2009, 04:38 GMT
Posts: 230
for those who missed some posts about it a few pages ago.. the big missing track, for me, is "Let's keep it between us" which is a fantastic r and b type original- bob did it in the studio and live, but neither version is on the box- which is frustrating.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 20:19 GMT 

Joined: Tue December 30th, 2008, 09:05 GMT
Posts: 827
Location: Liverpool
zimmerboy wrote:
I want this, but £150 is taking the piss.

£80-£100 to get one extra disc for The Tell Tale Signs release was taking the piss. This one seems reasonably priced. To me anyway. With the San Diego show, and DVD you're paying what? £15 a disc? Not much more than the average CD release.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 20:24 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat January 1st, 2011, 20:57 GMT
Posts: 6740
Location: Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
The footage seems to be shot on video rather than film, which is disappointing, but it looks good nevertheless. I hope Caribbean Wind with the pedal steel is the version we know and love, but the pedal has been missing from our bootleg mixes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 20:30 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun November 29th, 2015, 23:08 GMT
Posts: 581
bobfan wrote:
zimmerboy wrote:
I want this, but £150 is taking the piss.

£80-£100 to get one extra disc for The Tell Tale Signs release was taking the piss. This one seems reasonably priced. To me anyway. With the San Diego show, and DVD you're paying what? £15 a disc? Not much more than the average CD release.


10 CDs
1 DVD
4 books (from the look of the box)

Each item is $11.50, or around £8. That's super reasonable.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 20:36 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue February 2nd, 2010, 00:03 GMT
Posts: 201
God the endless whinging about the price that accompanies every bootleg release.

US$15.90 per disc is really pretty reasonable.

Folk seem to think Bob somehow owes it to them to give them all his music for free.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 20:40 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat January 1st, 2011, 20:57 GMT
Posts: 6740
Location: Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
For some people this music will be free, one way or another.

More importantly, can someone pm me with the title of the book that collected all of Dylan's sermons from this era? I can't remember the title.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 20:46 GMT 

Joined: Thu December 8th, 2011, 15:10 GMT
Posts: 517
9 disc (11 disc) set ordered ok


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 20:52 GMT 

Joined: Sun November 13th, 2016, 02:00 GMT
Posts: 284
cbtaco19 wrote:
I ordered mine about a half hour ago and I did indeed get the prompt to add the San Diego show:

Purchase details
Trouble No More: The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 (1979-1981) - Deluxe 9 Disc (8CD/DVD)$174.98
LIVE IN SAN DIEGO NOVEMBER 28, 1979 - 2CD$0.00
Amount$174.98
Shipping$10.99
Total$185.97


Oh my GOD!
I'd swear I thought it was less than that...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 20:53 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun November 29th, 2015, 23:08 GMT
Posts: 581
I remember reading in some book (Behind the Shades probably) that Saved was originally going to be a live album, but that Columbia didn't like the product due to initial bad reactions during the tour. They had a full album cut and ready to ship out, and then shelved it at the last minute and ordered the recording of Saved.

Does anyone know what this live album would've consisted of?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 20:55 GMT 

Joined: Tue December 30th, 2008, 09:05 GMT
Posts: 827
Location: Liverpool
10 CDs
1 DVD
4 books (from the look of the box)

Each item is $11.50, or around £8. That's super reasonable.[/quote]

Maths was never my strong suit. I agree, this is reasonably priced. Not as cheap as the '66 set, but far more value for money than some of the other releases.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 20:58 GMT 

Joined: Tue December 30th, 2008, 09:05 GMT
Posts: 827
Location: Liverpool
goodnitesteve wrote:
For some people this music will be free, one way or another.

More importantly, can someone pm me with the title of the book that collected all of Dylan's sermons from this era? I can't remember the title.

I could only afford the six cd Cutting Edge, but I got the rest eventually...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 21:02 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue June 21st, 2011, 11:15 GMT
Posts: 1557
goodnitesteve wrote:
For some people this music will be free, one way or another.

More importantly, can someone pm me with the title of the book that collected all of Dylan's sermons from this era? I can't remember the title.


May I write it here in full public that I have here on my shelf a tiny book called "Saved! The Gospel Speeches"?

Hanuman books
Madras & New York 1990
ISBN 0-937815-38-1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 21:15 GMT 

Joined: Sun November 13th, 2016, 02:00 GMT
Posts: 284
JeffreyLeePierre wrote:
notdarkyet wrote:
follow the "Pre-order Now" link on that site, and you will see pricing (I see mine in Euro), and the following information:

EXCLUSIVE BONUS 2-CD SET OF THE FULL LIVE SHOW FROM SAN DIEGO, 1979 WHEN YOU PRE-ORDER THE DELUXE 9 DISC BOX SET FROM BOBDYLAN.COM

LIMITED QUANTITIES WHILE STOCKS LAST...

But here in France, that comes right in the middle between the third Income Tax payment (mid-Sept) and local tax payment (mid-Oct). Cash will only be back after wages by end Oct.


Hi, wow, I love the Gun Club, esp. Fire Of Love, a masterpiece, one of my favorite albums ever;
do they charge at BobDylan.com right away, or do they charge only shortly before shipping?
I'm assuming the former, which sucks, as it's also far easier for me in late October than it is now.

I wonder if for myself this is really worth getting... :?
It may not be a TON when factoring how many discs (I don't care as much about the books inside), but it's a lot ALL AT ONCE.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 21:15 GMT 

Joined: Fri April 20th, 2007, 14:04 GMT
Posts: 487
TimeandTempo wrote:
I remember reading in some book (Behind the Shades probably) that Saved was originally going to be a live album, but that Columbia didn't like the product due to initial bad reactions during the tour. They had a full album cut and ready to ship out, and then shelved it at the last minute and ordered the recording of Saved.

Does anyone know what this live album would've consisted of?


I'm not sure if it's true, but the back of the bootleg "Rock Solid" says it's an unreleased live album. This is the tracklist:

Gotta Serve Somebody
Covenant Woman
When You Gonna Wake Up
Precious Angel
Slow Train
Solid Rock
In The Garden

All songs from Toronto 4/19/1980.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 21:22 GMT 

Joined: Tue October 23rd, 2007, 13:46 GMT
Posts: 275
Jim B. wrote:
Hi, wow, I love the Gun Club, esp. Fire Of Love, a masterpiece, one of my favorite albums ever;
do they charge at BobDylan.com right away, or do they charge only shortly before shipping?
I'm assuming the former, which sucks, as it's also far easier for me in late October than it is now.

I wonder if for myself this is really worth getting... :?
It may not be a TON when factoring how many discs (I don't care as much about the books inside), but it's a lot ALL AT ONCE.


To answer one of your questions, I do see a pending charge (Sandbag US) for $184.20 on my credit card. So yes, it looks like the charge happens right away, which is yet another reason that Amazon and its price guarantee is my preferred option for these sorts of things; but the San Diego bonus swayed me....grave


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 21:25 GMT 

Joined: Sun November 13th, 2016, 02:00 GMT
Posts: 284
to the grave wrote:
Jim B. wrote:
Hi, wow, I love the Gun Club, esp. Fire Of Love, a masterpiece, one of my favorite albums ever;
do they charge at BobDylan.com right away, or do they charge only shortly before shipping?
I'm assuming the former, which sucks, as it's also far easier for me in late October than it is now.

I wonder if for myself this is really worth getting... :?
It may not be a TON when factoring how many discs (I don't care as much about the books inside), but it's a lot ALL AT ONCE.


To answer one of your questions, I do see a pending charge (Sandbag US) for $184.20 on my credit card. So yes, it looks like the charge happens right away, which is yet another reason that Amazon and its price guarantee is my preferred option for these sorts of things; but the San Diego bonus swayed me....grave


Thank you very much. Yeah I figured they would charge now. Shoot...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 21:27 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon January 23rd, 2006, 02:39 GMT
Posts: 1701
goodnitesteve wrote:
The footage seems to be shot on video rather than film, which is disappointing, but it looks good nevertheless. I hope Caribbean Wind with the pedal steel is the version we know and love, but the pedal has been missing from our bootleg mixes.


I'm actually hoping it's an unheard version, since the circulating one is already in such high quality. That speaks to one of my favorite aspects of this set - they have almost entirely avoided material that currently circulates in excellent quality (SF 1979, April 20 1980, Avignon/New Orleans/Houston 1981) in favor of stuff we've either never heard or have only heard in poor quality. I can't wait to get this!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 21:31 GMT 

Joined: Tue December 30th, 2008, 09:05 GMT
Posts: 827
Location: Liverpool
I'm actually hoping it's an unheard version, since the circulating one is already in such high quality. That speaks to one of my favorite aspects of this set - they have almost entirely avoided material that currently circulates in excellent quality (SF 1979, April 20 1980, Avignon/New Orleans/Houston 1981) in favor of stuff we've either never heard or have only heard in poor quality. I can't wait to get this!![/quote]

Even the stuff that is 'excellent' quality they manage to top. I mean look at the fragments of film in the released clip compared to Toronto 1980 that circulates. Difference in quality is night and day. Avignon is good quality for a sbd but I bet the cleaned up tracks sound far better.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 21:38 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue August 16th, 2011, 19:00 GMT
Posts: 158
Location: Emilia-Romagna, Italy
We'll finally be able to hear clearly - so I hope - what Bob sings in the second verse of the Caribbean Wind live version!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 22:09 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon July 31st, 2006, 09:13 GMT
Posts: 2141
Location: out on Decatur Hill
einnor66 wrote:
crazy pricing, €170 for the deluxe set (incl 2cd bonus set) is way too much


€ 170 for 11 discs (bobdylan.com pre-order version: 8 CDs + 1 DVD + 2 CDs) is € 15 per disc. That's a normal price.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 22:17 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 43306
Location: Beneath the Southern X
Well, 36 discs ('66 box) only cost 2/3 of that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 22:22 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue November 27th, 2007, 18:46 GMT
Posts: 209
Location: Cleland, Scotland
I think the Earls Court show is the one I was at :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 22:23 GMT 

Joined: Fri January 5th, 2007, 23:38 GMT
Posts: 1927
Location: Ireland
Johanna Parker wrote:
Well, 36 discs ('66 box) only cost 2/3 of that.


Which really makes this very repetitious set, with no studio material at all, seem quite expensive compared to what is a much more varied Gospel set, the latter covering a broader period of time and in more diverse styles.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 58  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dvdunplugged


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group