Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 18th, 2017, 21:26 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 13:16 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
Let's get that damn BOTT release out already! Can we skip BS13 and go right to 14?

Nightingale's Code wrote:
I'd rather hear 5 takes of the same BOTT songs than whatever they throw together for this gospel release.

I am in total agreement, it would be nice to buy some product I actually like by the main man!

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 14:44 GMT 

LibraChild1980 wrote:
Ah well. I don't mean to look a gift horse in the mouth,
but i think all a BOTT BS would contain is that original NYC pressing
remastered, the album itself remastered, and maybe a third
disc containing stuff like Up To Me and different takes of the songs.

The Gospel idea has the potential to be more interesting given he
was performing previously (and in a few cases) still unreleased
songs. Maybe the Gospel BS could have a mixture of concert recordings
spanning 79/81 over two discs and an for a third CD an outtakes disc
with different takes of 'Slow Train' & 'Saved' studio recordings.

Prepare to be surprised on both counts. Obviously, you'll need to wait a year for the BOTT BS set to be revealed, but you should be thinking larger numbers for this year's Gospel set...

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 17:18 GMT 

From rollingstone.com, January 23, 2014:

Dylan recorded Blood on the Tracks at New York's A&R Studios with producer Phil Ramone before heading to Sound 80 studio in Minneapolis, Minnesota to re-cut much of the material with a different band. The final album is a mixture of New York and Minneapolis sessions. Some of the tracks that didn't make the LP have been bootlegged, but much remains in the vault.

"During the first couple of days in New York, Bob played the songs solo on acoustic guitar," says the source. "They're very different than anything that's been heard before and they're very special."

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 18:47 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
From rollingstone.com, January 23, 2014:

Dylan recorded Blood on the Tracks at New York's A&R Studios with producer Phil Ramone before heading to Sound 80 studio in Minneapolis, Minnesota to re-cut much of the material with a different band. The final album is a mixture of New York and Minneapolis sessions. Some of the tracks that didn't make the LP have been bootlegged, but much remains in the vault.

"During the first couple of days in New York, Bob played the songs solo on acoustic guitar," says the source. "They're very different than anything that's been heard before and they're very special."

Exactly.... very special. And, I would posit, very expensive for the Deluxe model which will certainly be larger than 3 discs...

I'm so pleased you keep your log of the historical quotes from RS handy, Mr. Echo! :)

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 21:41 GMT 

Here's another one:

From rollingstone.com, August 26, 2014:

"We're thinking we'll revisit the 1975 era and Blood on the Tracks," says the source. "The unheard stuff from there is crazy. You can hear the first day of recordings before they put all that echo on. It's amazing."

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 22:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thanks for pulling those quotes, they certainly sound enticing!

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 11:54 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
It's beginning to seem rather obvious that this one will be released in 2018 and centered around Blood on the Tracks, and maybe more of that period.

Author and historian Douglas Brinkley has begun accessing archive elements for his forthcoming book, “Dusty Sweatbox Blues: Bob Dylan and the Open Road 1974-1978.” The book will focus on Dylan’s mid-1970s albums (“Planet Waves,” “Blood on the Tracks,” “Desire” and “Street-Legal”) and be published by Harper Collins/Infinitum Nihill in 2018.

http://m.tulsaworld.com/scene/music/bob ... l?mode=jqm

People shouldn't look over this; it's possible that we'll see a huge Bootleg Series next year covering Planet Waves to Street-Legal, and their corresponding songs performed throughout the Rolling Thunder Revue and 1974 and 1978 tours. Perhaps that'll be far too bloated to be released, and Dylan's camp will probably prefer to capitalise on them all seperately, but considering the 18-disc release of The Cutting Edge, who knows?

I mean, it would make a great story arc to follow; the early signs of the disintegration of his marriage in a song like "Dirge", through to the pain of Blood on the Tracks and "Sara" and their heartfelt performances on the Rolling Thunder Revue, and finishing up with the sleazy, coked-up divorce songs and tour of 1978.

What comes next? Salvation. But we'll have already known that from the previous Bootleg Series release.

Something similar happened with the release of Another Self Portrait which covered Nashville Skyline to Dylan (plus one recording from 1967), but unfortunately it was nowhere near large enough.

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 12:02 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
Here's another one:

From rollingstone.com, August 26, 2014:

"We're thinking we'll revisit the 1975 era and Blood on the Tracks," says the source. "The unheard stuff from there is crazy. You can hear the first day of recordings before they put all that echo on. It's amazing."

Hearing the same songs without some so called "echo". Crazy and amazing, indeed :?

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 12:02 GMT 

mystic garden wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
It's beginning to seem rather obvious that this one will be released in 2018 and centered around Blood on the Tracks, and maybe more of that period.

Author and historian Douglas Brinkley has begun accessing archive elements for his forthcoming book, “Dusty Sweatbox Blues: Bob Dylan and the Open Road 1974-1978.” The book will focus on Dylan’s mid-1970s albums (“Planet Waves,” “Blood on the Tracks,” “Desire” and “Street-Legal”) and be published by Harper Collins/Infinitum Nihill in 2018.

http://m.tulsaworld.com/scene/music/bob ... l?mode=jqm

People shouldn't look over this; it's possible that we'll see a huge Bootleg Series next year covering Planet Waves to Street-Legal, and their corresponding songs performed throughout the Rolling Thunder Revue and 1974 and 1978 tours. Perhaps that'll be far too bloated to be released, and Dylan's camp will probably prefer to capitalise on them all seperately, but considering the 18-disc release of The Cutting Edge, who knows?

I mean, it would make a great story arc to follow; the early signs of the disintegration of his marriage in a song like "Dirge", through to the pain of Blood on the Tracks and "Sara" and their heartfelt performances on the Rolling Thunder Revue, and finishing up with the sleazy, coked-up divorce songs and tour of 1978.

What comes next? Salvation. But we'll have already known that from the previous Bootleg Series release.

Something similar happened with the release of Another Self Portrait which covered Nashville Skyline to Dylan (plus one recording from 1967), but unfortunately it was nowhere near large enough.

Sounds utterly enticing, but I just don't think they'll group BOTT together with material pre and post. BOTT is really its own universe, and they're wise to single out those sessions as singular.

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 12:29 GMT 

eltedioso wrote:
Sounds utterly enticing, but I just don't think they'll group BOTT together with material pre and post. BOTT is really its own universe, and they're wise to single out those sessions as singular.

But it sort of reeks of The Cutting Edge all over again, no? I mean, it'll be the solo acoustic demos (some of which we haven't heard), the NY sessions, and the studio versions released as a best of and deluxe all-takes edition. It sounds even less interesting than The Cutting Edge because at least that had incredible songs never released on the studio albums, whereas this will just be variations of the same tune/song (as far as we know, but I think we can be fairly certain).

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 12:31 GMT 

mystic garden wrote:
eltedioso wrote:

But it sort of reeks of The Cutting Edge all over again, no? I mean, it'll be the solo acoustic demos (some of which we haven't heard), the NY sessions, and the studio versions released as a best of and deluxe all-takes edition. It sounds even less interesting than The Cutting Edge because at least that had incredible songs never released on the studio albums, whereas this will just be variations of the same tune/song (as far as we know, but I think we can be fairly certain).

Well I must like The Cutting Edge more than you do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 12:59 GMT 

eltedioso wrote:

I don't think they'll do something as grandiose as lumping the 1974 tour with everything through the 1978 tour, but I can imagine it shaking out like this:

Select Planet Waves Demos
Early BOTT demos / practices
BOTT outtakes / alternate takes / half mastered official release
I'm Cold / BOTT follow up material
Desire outtakes
A few of the more biting 1976 live performances (think TUIB from 76, IYSHSH, etc)
1978 piano demos

That is enough to make a 4-6 CD box set of new material without going overboard. It also remains thematically tied together.

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 13:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

TimeandTempo wrote:
A few of the more biting 1976 live performances (think TUIB from 76, IYSHSH, etc)

Damn I really want a cleaned up version of those wild Tangled Up In Blues from 76!

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 20:49 GMT 

November 16, 2018 is my guess

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 01:40 GMT 

Considering The Gospel Years is rumoured to be an 8-disc release plus DVDS, why could we not see something similar with a Planet Waves to Street-Legal release including DVDs such as Hard Rain?

It would go down as the best of releases yet and would make Dylan a fortune. He ain't gonna be around forever.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 01:56 GMT 

mystic garden wrote:
..... Planet Waves to Street-Legal release including DVDs such as Hard Rain?

It would go down as the best of releases yet and would make Dylan a fortune. He ain't gonna be around forever.

According to the situations described in "On the road with Bob Dylan", there is a TON of unused 1975 RTR footage. They shot massive amounts of footage for Renaldo and Clara, both live on stage and as improvised acting during the tour. The movie was almost unwatchable, probably because Dylan was at the controls. Give the archived footage to a talented film maker and it could be monumental. It's a shame that pro-shot video exists for first leg of the RTR tour and all we get are little snippets in Renaldo and Clara. It could be up there with The Last Waltz.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 01:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

Winter Lude wrote:
mystic garden wrote:
..... Planet Waves to Street-Legal release including DVDs such as Hard Rain?

According to the situations described in "On the road with Bob Dylan", there is a TON of unused 1975 RTR footage. They shot massive amounts of footage for Renaldo and Clara, both live on stage and as improvised acting during the tour. The movie was almost unwatchable, probably because Dylan was at the controls. Give the archived footage to a talented film maker and it could be monumental. It's a shame that pro-shot video exists for first leg of the RTR tour and all we get are little snippets in Renaldo and Clara. It could be up there with The Last Waltz.

..and will be eventually.

PostPosted: Wed September 20th, 2017, 02:26 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Winter Lude wrote:

..and will be eventually.

Hopefully we'll see Renaldo and Clara in it's original form on DVD next year, plus the Scorsese documentary using the same footage and that which was cast aside. It'd be great to release beside or within the Blood on the Tracks BS next year.

But why didn't we get Eat the Document and the rest of the 1966 performance footage last year?!

Okay... if not Plant Waves to Street-Legal, then perhaps early Blood on the Tracks demos through to the Rolling Thunder Revue and Desire, including Renaldo and Clara and Hard Rain as the DVD releases.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 18:54 GMT 

Bootleg Series – possible future projects, mentioned by "a source" (Jeff Rosen?) in interviews with "Rolling Stone" magazine:

- pre-Columbia coffeehouse tapes
- Blood On The Tracks sessions*
- Rolling Thunder Review documentary
- Hard Rain and other TV specials
- 1978 tour
- Infidels sessions
- Sydney 1986 ("Hard To Handle" concerts)
- Oh Mercy sessions (this could include the very early "Emlah Court" demo sessions)
- Supper Club CD/DVD

*According to Clinton Heylin this set has been completed for some time and is sitting on the shelf. He says, "It's all done. They can put it out whenever they can."

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 19:09 GMT 

If Columbia´s listening, this is the order in which I request they release it.

Blood On The Tracks sessions
Infidels sessions
Oh Mercy sessions (this could include the very early "Emlah Court" demo sessions)
NET (added by me)
1978 tour
Sydney 1986 ("Hard To Handle" concerts)
pre-Columbia coffeehouse tapes
Rolling Thunder Review documentary
Hard Rain and other TV specials
Supper Club CD/DVD

And surely about Rolling thunder review there should be a music-only release, not just video stuff, for which I don´t care much anyway

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 21:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

BOTT and Infidels sessions!! Gimme gimme gimme!!

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 01:10 GMT 

Gimme them pre-Columbia coffeehouse tapes!

The unofficial bootlegs of Blood on the Tracks and Infidels are enough to keep me content; I'm not desperate for the official release of these two like others are.

1986 and it's corresponding albums and outtakes interests me, mainly because I've never actually delved too deep into those tours or outtakes myself, but from what I have seen and heard — which is parts of Hard to Handle and a limited amount of other recordings — they're pretty damn good; Dylan seemed to be really engaged throughout these concerts, and his songs and lyrics were most definitely evolving into new territory, for better or worse.

The 1978 alimony tour and Street-Legal piano demos would be a major cause for celebration too. I'm not a big fan of Bob Dylan at Budokan, but I can imagine there would be some great shows to be found somewhere across that tour; the approach to his older songs was at least something new.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 02:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

1978 needs a re-assessment.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 07:16 GMT 

Yes, it would be great if 1978 would get the BS treatment. There surely are some great performances to be discovered, then all those tour rehearsals, the recordings for Street Legal... sounds good to me.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 09:48 GMT 

mystic garden wrote:
The unofficial bootlegs of Blood on the Tracks and Infidels are enough to keep me content; I'm not desperate for the official release of these two like others are.

Amen!

I'd love to get a huge cd compilation of performances from all touring-eras that differ from the originals (recorded by Bob's crew), including the complete ensame-performances (and I think, they have rehearsed much more stuff like this in a studio).
Some great filmed material would please me too.
It would be a pity, if such highlights aren't published until he (or me) is gone.
After Bob and management did fullfil my wish, they can go on as they do it since BS 4 till now and show up with songs and performances from different phases of Bob's career.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next