Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 19th, 2017, 21:36 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Guitarist Addition 1999
PostPosted: Thu September 14th, 2017, 04:46 GMT 

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me when Charlie Sexton joined
Dylan's band in 1999?
I'm just keen to hear a few shows before he joined, and a few shows after
he joined to hear what a difference he brought.
I know he's been in and out the band a few times since his 1999-2002
stint and seems to be one of the few players Dylan hasn't fell out with
(unless he has and i just never heard about it).

PostPosted: Thu September 14th, 2017, 05:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

June 5, 1999 was Sexton's first show with Dylan.

PostPosted: Thu September 14th, 2017, 16:54 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
June 5, 1999 was Sexton's first show with Dylan.

Excellent thank you :)

PostPosted: Thu September 14th, 2017, 17:15 GMT 

By all means, I would encourage anyone to listen to those 1999 shows-- some of the best in the NET. I think you will see in general a move toward a sharper divide in the acoustic/electric sets. Before Sexton, Bucky Baxter played pedal steel for most of the show, which resulted in more of a country feel to the music. Also, Dylan's set was essentially electric with a brief acoustic set in the middle. After Sexton came on board, he started doing an opening acoustic set of 5-7 songs and then an electric set. Larry Campbell became more of a multi-instrumentalist, usually playing guitar but moving to pedal steel on stuff like "Lay Lady Lay" or "Make You Feel my Love". Larry would also play fiddle now and again or mandolin on some acoustic songs.

I'd direct you to the US fall tour from 1999, when Dylan really opened up his setlists and played some just blistering rock versions-- sometimes of obscure songs like "Man of Peace" or "I and I". Charlie's effect on the band is probably best heard then.

Joe

PostPosted: Thu September 14th, 2017, 17:41 GMT 

El_Joe wrote:
By all means, I would encourage anyone to listen to those 1999 shows-- some of the best in the NET. I think you will see in general a move toward a sharper divide in the acoustic/electric sets. Before Sexton, Bucky Baxter played pedal steel for most of the show, which resulted in more of a country feel to the music. Also, Dylan's set was essentially electric with a brief acoustic set in the middle. After Sexton came on board, he started doing an opening acoustic set of 5-7 songs and then an electric set. Larry Campbell became more of a multi-instrumentalist, usually playing guitar but moving to pedal steel on stuff like "Lay Lady Lay" or "Make You Feel my Love". Larry would also play fiddle now and again or mandolin on some acoustic songs.

I'd direct you to the US fall tour from 1999, when Dylan really opened up his setlists and played some just blistering rock versions-- sometimes of obscure songs like "Man of Peace" or "I and I". Charlie's effect on the band is probably best heard then.

Joe

the shows started to begin with an accoustic set before Bucky Baxter left: The first one was Lisbon (7.4.99), Bucky's last show was Munich 2.5.99.

PostPosted: Thu September 14th, 2017, 20:48 GMT 

El_Joe wrote:
I'd direct you to the US fall tour from 1999, when Dylan really opened up his setlists and played some just blistering rock versions-- sometimes of obscure songs like "Man of Peace" or "I and I". Charlie's effect on the band is probably best heard then.Joe

I agree. The first two tours Charlie did were co-headlining with Paul Simon and while they had their moments (like Charlie going back to the original for his part on "Like A Rolling Stone"), the Fall '99 shows truly showcaseed what a fantastic combination Larry and Charlie were.

It's interesting to see and hear how the roles of Larry and Charlie slowly changed over the three and a half years they played together.

Charlie was brought in to replace Bucky, even though Larry immediately assumed some of Bucky's duties on pedal steel, while still being the nominal lead guitarist stage right in 1999.

By the year 2000 I think the roles became less defined, in a way there was no rhythm guitar player anymore, just two (three if you count Bob ;-)) lead guitarists, going back and forth seamlessly.

By 2001, Larry's role had diminished somewhat, with Charlie now being over on Bob's right side and Larry playing more and more instruments other than six string guitar.

Charlie and Larry always seemed to have enjoyed playing with each other (at least by the looks of it), but I've always wondered how the changing of the roles came about and if that ever caused any friction.

PostPosted: Thu September 14th, 2017, 21:17 GMT 

Interesting insights there on the band dynamics thanks :)

PostPosted: Thu September 14th, 2017, 21:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

For reference point, Barefoot put together a great summary and list of all the various bands of the NET and the tour legs they played on.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81893&p=1531440&hilit=incarnation#p1531440

PostPosted: Fri September 15th, 2017, 03:57 GMT 

Slewan is correct that I conflated the acoustic/electric sets (Which did start in April) with the departure of Bucky (which was in May). I associate the Larry/Charlie band with that format-- although in 2001, it did change.

I don't listen to a ton of shows from that Euro 1999 tour which was Bucky's last. There's a really good compilation called Across the Borderlines. The club shows from the summer (Eugene, OR circulates as a soundboard recording, the others as very good audience tapes) were highlights of the early Charlie era, but that Fall 1999 tour. You just can't go wrong. Baltimore, East Rutherford, Ithaca, Hell, they're ALL good.

Joe

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 19:04 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
For reference point, Barefoot put together a great summary and list of all the various bands of the NET and the tour legs they played on.

http://expectingrain.com/discussions/vi ... n#p1531440

Thank you very much for that link Nightingale that's a very useful
list for reference, thank one again for taking the time to link that
prior posting for me.