Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 11th, 2017, 17:17 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat September 9th, 2017, 16:10 GMT 

The sermons part I do not understand. At first I thought they were Bob´s own sermons, but written by someone else? Why include that? :?

PostPosted: Sat September 9th, 2017, 17:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

We shall see...soon enough.

PostPosted: Sat September 9th, 2017, 21:41 GMT 

wormington wrote:
The sermons part I do not understand. At first I thought they were Bob´s own sermons, but written by someone else? Why include that? :?

Because its artsy fartsy and film festivals love that :)

Who knows, if bobs lot have given it the go ahead it can't be too bad, hopefully.

If you read the description of Todd hayes's film, Im not there, you would think it nuts. Although some will disagree I really think it works perfectly, especially after a few viewings. So lets hope this strange description of no more trouble turns out more 'dylanesque' than it looks. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun September 10th, 2017, 03:26 GMT 

Winter Lude wrote:
Quote:
More than just a record of some concerts, Trouble No More is a total experience.

How can it even scrape the surface being only 59 minutes long, and including a bunch of sermons written and delivered by someone else? Nobody wants that.

Exactly my thoughts, Lude. It's just a commercial to stir up media buzz and record sales. When it comes to archival material, Dylan Inc. releases only recordings either to beat that European copyright law, or because Jeff Rosen likes the "story" involved with the music. If I want a story I'll read a comic book. Why not put out stuff simply because it's good? We fans deserve good music to sustain us through this horrific "American Songbook" period. I'm a sucker; I bought the three Sinatra albums. So get on the stick and release the "John Wesley Harding" outtakes. Liberate all the Supper Club film. I don't care if Dylan thinks the footage makes him look stupid. Everybody knows he's stupid. It's part of his charm.

PostPosted: Sun September 10th, 2017, 15:25 GMT 

Yea right, cause they made the basement tapes story first to make us interested in the release? I imagined tell tale signs and self portrait revised. Yea right, and its dylan you say is stupid. :roll:

They have limited time to get copyright covered so they will release that stuff first but we get a good 'selection' of dylan material every few years, you cant complain.

And if we think there is no wiz out there that can remove the voiceover from said documentary we have our heads in the sand...or just love a good complaint :D

PostPosted: Mon September 11th, 2017, 04:48 GMT 

Bloodworm Baltimore French Fry wrote:
... I don't care if Dylan thinks the footage makes him look stupid. Everybody knows he's stupid. It's part of his charm.

He is the king of awkwardness. He doesn't have a facade that he can put on like all other public figures.

One bazaar thing about the gospel era is that he went from never saying anything on stage to giving his lunatic sermons.

PostPosted: Tue September 12th, 2017, 18:34 GMT 

A gospel time film might be interesting but then a music version of Renaldo and Clara would be better and a compilation of Bob and the Hawks around the world in '66 I'd rush out to buy. We get what we're given and all the talk is wasted energy if you expect anything else.

PostPosted: Tue September 12th, 2017, 18:54 GMT 
Mercury Member

Bloodworm Baltimore French Fry wrote:
Liberate all the Supper Club film. I don't care if Dylan thinks the footage makes him look stupid. Everybody knows he's stupid. It's part of his charm.

I was quite surprised when I saw footage from The Supper Club shows, in that it all seemed so dark - maybe that's just the bits I've seen, and maybe I shouldn't expect anything else from a club show, but being so familiar with the audio, from the soundboard tapes, I had a picture in my mind of what the show looked like, and the reality was totally different - frankly I preferred my imaginary version!

PostPosted: Wed September 13th, 2017, 01:04 GMT 

He is the king of awkwardness. He doesn't have a facade that he can put on like all other public figures.

One bazaar thing about the gospel era is that he went from never saying anything on stage to giving his lunatic sermons.[/quote]

Dylan has been relatively talkative at certain times in his career. He probably keeps mum now because so many people hang on his every word. As for putting on a facade, I prefer silence to ' It's great to be in Shrewsbury', any day of the week. Those kind of remarks just pander to the masses in preference to those who can think or themselves.

PostPosted: Wed September 13th, 2017, 09:37 GMT 

Huck27 wrote:

One bazaar thing about the gospel era is that he went from never saying anything on stage to giving his lunatic sermons.

Dylan has been relatively talkative at certain times in his career. He probably keeps mum now because so many people hang on his every word. As for putting on a facade, I prefer silence to ' It's great to be in Shrewsbury', any day of the week. Those kind of remarks just pander to the masses in preference to those who can think or themselves.

Yea but he was very chatty during the last part of the 1978 US tour as well. Going into the whole meeting the king of gypsies, the story about the geek in the village fare who ate the live chicken, etc.. making jokes about the backing singers..