Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 16th, 2017, 22:01 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue August 22nd, 2017, 15:51 GMT 

wormington wrote:
Ah, c´mon, Shot of love ain´t that bad. Yes, it had some sub par stuff, I would say mostly Lenny Bruce, which is a nice tribute, but one of his worst songs.
But Heart of mine, Property of Jesus, Watered down love, In the summer time and Every grain of sand make the record more than worth one´s money to me

Agreed. My alt tracklist:

Second Shot
1. Heart of Mine
2. Property of Jesus
3. Watered-Down Love
4. Need a Woman
5. Angelina
6. Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar
7. You Changed My Life
8. In The Summertime
9. Caribbean Wind
10. Every Grain of Sand

PostPosted: Tue August 22nd, 2017, 17:29 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
I guess that makes the original Shot Of Love more collectable than the later release - a case where "Less is more" is actually true, in the sense that it's a dismal album anyway, so the quicker it is over the better.

Totally agree, I too think it is rather over rated. Less is definitely more, and while we're on that subject....

PostPosted: Tue August 22nd, 2017, 17:33 GMT 

20YearsAgo wrote:
dvdunplugged wrote:
Coming soon - The Triplicate 1st Anniversary De-Luxe Edition...you know it makes sense!

New & Improved-- now just on one cd!

(I say, ducking for cover) :mrgreen:

....Totally agree again, but it is currently 3 x 3CD's of about 30 minutes duration each - so to fit it all on to one CD they would have to 'loose' 4 or 5 tracks to make it fit. I wonder what would be put into storage?

PostPosted: Wed August 23rd, 2017, 11:44 GMT 

Handsomeinthefog wrote:
FieldingMellish wrote:
What about 'Shot of Love'? 'The Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar' was added to that.

No, it wasn't, "Groom" was on the original tape release. The CD simply followed the tape running order, but nothing was added that wasn't on the original run.

Also, I don't think a *vinyl* version, original or reissue, of "Shot Of Love" exists that has "Groom".

You seem fond of the dogmatic "No, it wasn't", "No, you are wrong and I am right" format. Ever thought of maturing a little?

In any case, this was, undeniably, a Dylan album that, in its original canonical form (i.e. vinyl), lacked a track which was later added to the standard edition (i.e. CD) of that album.

PostPosted: Wed August 23rd, 2017, 13:34 GMT 

Am I the only one that cares about the actual subject of a TOOM 20th Anniversary Edition.

But I will say that I'm amazed that Shot of Love became the focal point. Usually it's the L&T divide that rears its head.

PostPosted: Wed August 23rd, 2017, 18:49 GMT 

FieldingMellish wrote:
You seem fond of the dogmatic "No, it wasn't", "No, you are wrong and I am right" format. Ever thought of maturing a little?

In any case, this was, undeniably, a Dylan album that, in its original canonical form (i.e. vinyl), lacked a track which was later added to the standard edition (i.e. CD) of that album.

I didn't mean to offend (and English is not my first language either). Maybe you are right from your side and I am right from mine.

Like I tried to explain, the cassette version of "Shot Of Love" always had "Groom", and no version of "TOOM" that I know of (please correct me) had any other than the eleven original tracks so far. Therefore it would be hugely surprising if this Anniversary Edition had anything but those 11 songs, while it's less surprising that the "Shot Of Love" CD has "Groom".

PostPosted: Wed August 23rd, 2017, 19:32 GMT 

Handsomeinthefog wrote:
FieldingMellish wrote:

I didn't mean to offend (and English is not my first language either). Maybe you are right from your side and I am right from mine.

Like I tried to explain, the cassette version of "Shot Of Love" always had "Groom", and no version of "TOOM" that I know of (please correct me) had any other than the eleven original tracks so far. Therefore it would be hugely surprising if this Anniversary Edition had anything but those 11 songs, while it's less surprising that the "Shot Of Love" CD has "Groom".

Fair enough. And I agree totally that an altered track-listing for the Anniversary Edition of TOOM would be highly unlikely. I do wish we could have some sort of 'TOOM Naked' version of the album, with as much of the Lanois swampy syrup stripped away, but again this seems an unlikely prospect.

PostPosted: Wed August 23rd, 2017, 21:29 GMT 

Is the version on display in Tulsa a "naked" production as you term it? Would love to hear that.

PostPosted: Tue August 29th, 2017, 19:14 GMT 

MrJudasPriest wrote:
Is the version on display in Tulsa a "naked" production as you term it? Would love to hear that.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... n-20160303
March 3, 2016

"Chaiken has only begun to dip into the hundreds of hours of raw Dylan recording sessions, but he's already come across a completely different version of 1997's Time Out of Mind produced by pianist Jim Dickinson [update: Dickinson denies such a thing exists](...)"

PostPosted: Wed August 30th, 2017, 09:25 GMT 
Mercury Member

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
MrJudasPriest wrote:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... n-20160303
March 3, 2016

"Chaiken has only begun to dip into the hundreds of hours of raw Dylan recording sessions, but he's already come across a completely different version of 1997's Time Out of Mind produced by pianist Jim Dickinson [update: Dickinson denies such a thing exists](...)"

Mmmm - the Rolling Stone article is dated 2016, but Jim Dickinson died in 2009 - how did he make this denial, by ouija board?

PostPosted: Thu September 7th, 2017, 07:36 GMT 

It seems the third disc is a 7" single with the remix version of Love Sick.

PostPosted: Thu September 7th, 2017, 07:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

Damn. That's kind of disappointing, but par for the course I guess.

PostPosted: Thu September 7th, 2017, 09:44 GMT 

Has this remix been released before?

PostPosted: Thu September 7th, 2017, 11:21 GMT 

My guess is that it's the 2004 remix from the Victoria's Secret CD, which was also released as part of an iTunes rarities collection.

I actually think it's cool that Dylan's albums were never released with "bonus" tracks and that the addition of a separate 7" disc for the 20th anniversary edition of TOOM again does not change the album itself. Dylan's albums do not need bonus tracks. Does a Picasso need a "bonus painting"?

Last edited by My Echo, My Shadow And Me on Thu September 7th, 2017, 11:21 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu September 7th, 2017, 11:21 GMT 

wormington wrote:

Yes, on the Victoria's Secret cd

PostPosted: Thu September 7th, 2017, 11:29 GMT 

My guess is that it's the 2004 remix from the Victoria's Secret CD, which was also released as part of an iTunes rarities collection.

I actually think it's cool that Dylan's albums were never released with "bonus" tracks and that the addition of a separate 7" disc for the 20th anniversary edition of TOOM again does not change the album itself. Dylan's albums do not need bonus tracks. Does a Picasso need a "bonus painting"?

He did 58 of Las Meninas.

PostPosted: Thu September 7th, 2017, 11:56 GMT 

Voice With Restraint wrote:

:shock: Pardon me? Victoria secret you said? Never would have thought I would see Dylan and Victoria secret connected in any possible way...

PostPosted: Thu September 7th, 2017, 12:00 GMT 

:arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ACmqv3w_2M

PostPosted: Thu September 7th, 2017, 12:22 GMT 

Senyor Timbaler wrote:

Scarier than the new It remake.

PostPosted: Thu September 7th, 2017, 13:42 GMT 

It´s a strange world we live in.

Anyway, if doing this got Bob to spend a day or two next to those hotties I guess we can´t blame him

PostPosted: Thu September 7th, 2017, 15:13 GMT 

wormington wrote:

:shock: Pardon me? Victoria secret you said? Never would have thought I would see Dylan and Victoria secret connected in any possible way...

Two words: Adriana Lima.

PostPosted: Thu September 7th, 2017, 15:15 GMT 

McG wrote:

He did 58 of Las Meninas.

But he didn't throw in a Minotaur or Bullfighting Scene as a "bonus" to peddle the Meninas to the masses. ;-)

PostPosted: Fri September 8th, 2017, 08:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

wormington wrote:

Do we know it is in fact that same remix?

PostPosted: Fri September 8th, 2017, 17:07 GMT 

McG wrote:
Senyor Timbaler wrote:

Scarier than the new It remake.

Supposedly, Bob Dylan was the producers' first choice to play the killer clown in the It reboot. Imagine the sheer terrifying potential! But Dylan's financial demands were exorbitant and his insistence on jet black dye for the costume's wig proved to be the dealbreaker.

PostPosted: Fri September 8th, 2017, 19:26 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Do we know it is in fact that same remix?

No, we do not know for sure at this point. But since there is a remix of "Love Sick" that has not had a "proper" release (it was available only on the Victoria's Secret CD and an iTunes rarities collection), chances are the 7" will include that very remix.