Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun December 17th, 2017, 14:00 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 17th, 2015, 22:17 GMT 

not trying to convince you guillem, i just like talking about the basement tapes :)

PostPosted: Wed April 6th, 2016, 12:59 GMT 
Mercury Member

At and in the Basement is where I'm mostly to be found. If I'm not there it'll be the Festival Hall, or with a new Self Portrait in a gallery somewhere. I'm not that hard to find

PostPosted: Wed April 6th, 2016, 16:44 GMT 

Marconakken wrote:
Badly recorded good music is still good music.
I find it amazing that you put so much value on sound quality.

Agreed. Even sound quality nazi Neil Young would agree that these are must own recordings. Really great stuff.

PostPosted: Thu April 7th, 2016, 05:35 GMT 

GuillemTM wrote:
I never liked The basement tapes much.

What language is this? Klingon?

PostPosted: Thu April 7th, 2016, 17:42 GMT 

This thread is crazy.

PostPosted: Wed September 6th, 2017, 01:45 GMT 

I'm late to this party, I know, but I finally managed to snag a copy of the 6-disc "Basement Tapes" box last Friday to listen to over the holiday weekend.

The original album is one that had kind of left me cold for years--I first heard it back in about 1994 or so, aware of the reputation of the basement tapes, but never really able to grasp what all the fuss was about. I think I chalked it up to bootlegger hype--I was too young for the whole "Great White Wonder"/"Ten Of Swords" thing, but I was well aware of how people were willing to pay top dollar to hear the Beatles play "Leave My Kitten Alone" on a bootleg CD, but barely pay attention to it in the wake of "Anthology", or how some collectors can lovingly curate bootleg collections Pete Townshend demos, while others complain bitterly when they are used as bonus tracks on Who reissues.

I'm sensing now that the greatest failing of the 1975 "Basement Tapes" album is how it removed the songs from any context; by cleaning them up, adding overdubs, and creating a sequence interspersing songs by the Band alone, the end result sounded less like the product of unique, extended recording sessions, and more like a half-assed attempt at double album grandiosity in the wake of "Quadrophenia" and "Physical Graffiti".

I've honestly never heard any of the bootleg compilations of these recordings; for some reason, during the height of the bootleg CD era from roughly 92-94, the CD stores I frequented never seemed to stock Dylan "imports".

And yes--I did pick up the 2-disc "Basement Tapes Raw" at some point since 2-14, and while I enjoyed much of the "new" stuff I heard, it took this six-disc set for me to say, 'OK, now I finally get it.' Because now I'm able to hear the creative process which spawned these songs; Now I'm able to put much of the material from the 1975 album into context. And, as somebody with no musical aptitude whatsoever, hearing legends like Dylan and The Band working through each of the multiple, creative layers of recorded music, writing the lyric and the melody, from playing an instrument to arranging, performing, and recording it, is always amazing to me. Hearing these guys their way toward a musical end result that none of them anticipated--to me there's something magic about that. And that's what finally dawned on me this weekend.

I don't think that this personal breakthrough will cause me to enjoy the original 1975 album more than I have previously--just that I can finally grasp what all the fuss was about.

PostPosted: Wed September 6th, 2017, 08:23 GMT 

Some people seem obsessed with listening to SOUND. The rest of us prefer to listen to MUSIC.

The 6CD Basement Tapes is absolutely essential listening, and probably my favourite Dylan album of all time.

PostPosted: Thu September 7th, 2017, 22:07 GMT 

Rainwater wrote:
GuillemTM wrote:
I never liked The basement tapes much.

What language is this? Klingon?

I absolutely love this response.