Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 24th, 2017, 04:14 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 20:27 GMT 

Sweetheart68 wrote:

It wasn't. A lot of it is eclipsed by his more mature work. Many flashes of utter brilliance to be sure, but much of it inconsistent. Nothing compared to the more mature genius of BOTT, TOOM and L&T. I'll acknowledge the absolute change he wrought in rock and roll songwriting at the time, but that doesn't make it better than his later work. Hippies get confused between his art and the peace and love hippie second coming myth they built around him he's spent his entire career denying. That falls on deaf ears as they continue to live in their dream world. Get over it.

Clue: hippies don't actually exist anymore, unless you're from the land that reality forgot, and all humans with functioning ears know TOOM and L&T are ropey as f*ck compared to his 60s and 70s work.

PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 20:58 GMT 

Dude. Don't take the brown acid.

PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 22:00 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
Sweetheart68 wrote:
The misguided delusion that the holy trilogy was the best that Bob ever did or could do. Piffle. Straight up piffle repeated by hippies who still think the 60's were more awesomererer than anything else.
It was. It is. They were. Suck it up.

Yes.
Exactly.

(plus some excellent things which happened on the way to 77)

PostPosted: Wed September 6th, 2017, 01:05 GMT 

If Bob liked hippies he'd have headlined Woodstock. Oh yeah, I seem to recall he gave that a big x no.
To the hippies who think the 60's were that important... that prize goes to your mothers and fathers who fought and sacrificed to defeat fascism. That's a generation that actually changed the world. You all can go back to trying to levitate the Pentagon with your minds.

In a few generations when everyone from that era is gone maybe people will look back on Bob's music with some objectivity and love it for what it is instead of getting it so confused with a bloated myth invented by a bunch of self absorbed stoned narcissists. Bob has spent his entire adult life telling us all he's not that person and wants nothing to do with the freakish cult of personality people from that time built up around him. His music shouldn't be judged through that lens. It's x tragic that people hang on to that delusion.
Get. Over. It.

PostPosted: Wed September 6th, 2017, 02:33 GMT 

Sweetheart68 wrote:
If Bob liked hippies he'd have headlined Woodstock. Oh yeah, I seem to recall he gave that a big x no.
To the hippies who think the 60's were that important... that prize goes to your mothers and fathers who fought and sacrificed to defeat fascism. That's a generation that actually changed the world. You all can go back to trying to levitate the Pentagon with your minds.

In a few generations when everyone from that era is gone maybe people will look back on Bob's music with some objectivity and love it for what it is instead of getting it so confused with a bloated myth invented by a bunch of self absorbed stoned narcissists. Bob has spent his entire adult life telling us all he's not that person and wants nothing to do with the freakish cult of personality people from that time built up around him. His music shouldn't be judged through that lens. It's x tragic that people hang on to that delusion.
Get. Over. It.

Freakish internet cult member criticises freakish cult members in real world who don't even exist.

Thanks for being you.

PostPosted: Wed September 6th, 2017, 08:15 GMT 

I see little or no connection between Bob's 1965/66 trilogy and hippies.

PostPosted: Wed September 6th, 2017, 08:16 GMT 

Sweetheart68 wrote:

Get. Over. It.

http://www.apa.org/topics/anger/control.aspx

PostPosted: Wed September 6th, 2017, 11:04 GMT 

Aw. I must have hit a nerve. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed September 6th, 2017, 11:19 GMT 

I always kind of got the impression that Bob likes all the freaks and weirdos in his own way.

PostPosted: Wed September 6th, 2017, 13:00 GMT 

His songs are full of them. I guess he finds them to be interesting. He can be weird, too, after all, and I love that about him :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6