Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 17:29 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri September 1st, 2017, 19:33 GMT 

^^^^
You might be surprised when it is released...

These quotes from Bob Inc. featured in Rolling Stone over the last few years:-

"Sets for Blood on the Tracks and Blonde on Blonde will eventually come out." (July 2013)

"We don't know exactly what the next Bootleg Series is going to be," says a source close to the Dylan camp. "There's a couple of things on our minds, but the natural next one is Blood on the Tracks." (January 2014)

"We're thinking we'll revisit the 1975 era and Blood on the Tracks," says the source. "The unheard stuff from there is crazy. You can hear the first day of recordings before they put all that echo on. It's amazing." (August 2014)

"We'd also love to revisit Blood on the Tracks, Infidels, Oh Mercy and the gospel albums." (September 2015)

The only other set under major consideration is one that chronicles the 1974 Blood on the Tracks sessions. "Personally I think the gospel set is more interesting," says a source close to the Dylan camp. "Blood on the Tracks is similar to The Cutting Edge in what you're hearing is different version of the same thing. You're hearing process." (October 2016)

PostPosted: Fri September 1st, 2017, 20:23 GMT 

pol2jem wrote:
^^^^
You might be surprised when it is released...

These quotes from Bob Inc. featured in Rolling Stone over the last few years:-

"Sets for Blood on the Tracks and Blonde on Blonde will eventually come out." (July 2013)

"We don't know exactly what the next Bootleg Series is going to be," says a source close to the Dylan camp. "There's a couple of things on our minds, but the natural next one is Blood on the Tracks." (January 2014)

"We're thinking we'll revisit the 1975 era and Blood on the Tracks," says the source. "The unheard stuff from there is crazy. You can hear the first day of recordings before they put all that echo on. It's amazing." (August 2014)

"We'd also love to revisit Blood on the Tracks, Infidels, Oh Mercy and the gospel albums." (September 2015)

The only other set under major consideration is one that chronicles the 1974 Blood on the Tracks sessions. "Personally I think the gospel set is more interesting," says a source close to the Dylan camp. "Blood on the Tracks is similar to The Cutting Edge in what you're hearing is different version of the same thing. You're hearing process." (October 2016)

Maybe, thanks for posting the quotes though.
I did buy The Cutting Edge CDs, but to be honest, for me anyhow, songs in progress,
false starts etc just don't do it for me. If there are completely unheard of full recordings
of BOTT songs, or songs with completely different lyrics, then maybe i'll be more inclined
to buy it. Actually, who am i kidding, i'll buy it anyway, just to have it in the collection.
I'm a slave to Bob's official releases.

PostPosted: Fri September 1st, 2017, 21:14 GMT 

Where's all the echo on BOTT?

PostPosted: Sat September 2nd, 2017, 02:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

"Echo" probably referring to a track like STOF, or BOR. Reverb is the more accurate term.

PostPosted: Sat September 2nd, 2017, 02:31 GMT 

Not recording "Street Legal" with the Grateful Dead.

PostPosted: Sat September 2nd, 2017, 04:51 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
"Echo" probably referring to a track like STOF, or BOR. Reverb is the more accurate term.

Indeed. I bet the dry mix sounds pretty weird. Bob usually benefits from mo'verb.

PostPosted: Sat September 2nd, 2017, 04:59 GMT 

McG wrote:
Ain't Talkin' wrote:

Indeed. I bet the dry mix sounds pretty weird. Bob usually benefits from mo'verb.

John Wesley Harding was a completely dry mix (no reverb on most tracks) and i loved that album.
Sometimes though, if the songs gotta be dramatic, or have an emotional impact then i could see the
need for reverb.

PostPosted: Sat September 2nd, 2017, 08:45 GMT 
Titanium Member

The mono JWH has more liberal use of 'verb, most noticeable on AATW.

A small tragedy.

PostPosted: Sat September 2nd, 2017, 11:13 GMT 

Cant remember if I heard it here or on the S. Hoffman forums, but someone that was involved in the project posted that people will be surprised with the BOTT BS release. Plenty of stuff that hasnt circulated, totally different takes, etc

PostPosted: Sat September 2nd, 2017, 11:32 GMT 

wormington wrote:
Cant remember if I heard it here or on the S. Hoffman forums, but someone that was involved in the project posted that people will be surprised with the BOTT BS release. Plenty of stuff that hasnt circulated, totally different takes, etc

Of course. Just like any recording session.

PostPosted: Sat September 2nd, 2017, 18:16 GMT 

My vote is for The Traveling Wilburys Vol. II

PostPosted: Sun September 3rd, 2017, 09:00 GMT 

That he didn't finish and complete the song I'm Not There. I sure wish he had. There's a real gem in there.

PostPosted: Sun September 3rd, 2017, 09:14 GMT 

Jim B. wrote:
That he didn't finish and complete the song I'm Not There. I sure wish he had. There's a real gem in there.

No. The reason it works so beautifully and mysteriously is precisely because it's not finished. Which makes it finished.

PostPosted: Sun September 3rd, 2017, 10:32 GMT 

Stayed in Mississippi a day too long

PostPosted: Sun September 3rd, 2017, 12:28 GMT 

McG wrote:
Jim B. wrote:

No. The reason it works so beautifully and mysteriously is precisely because it's not finished. Which makes it finished.

Spot on. One of my favourite Dylan recordings precisely because of the exact way it is, in every way.

It reminds me that it's okay he never developed "I Can't Leave Her Behind" or "On a Rainy Afternoon", the hotel tape allows one's imagination to run wild with it. It's kind of like unrequited love or a nicotine addiction, it leads you to the borders of paradise without ever opening the gates.

PostPosted: Mon September 4th, 2017, 11:03 GMT 

McG wrote:
Bromberg '92. Good As I Been To You should have been culled from those sessions.

I mean - fuck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFRYQStXCWw

That and 'Polly Vaughan' - great vocals. The instrumentation and arrangements are fussy and OTT, though, and I can imagine why Bob wasn't happy with the results. That electric guitar in 'Kaatskill,' for example, with all its noodling behind the vocals: just annoying. Would love to hear a bare-bones mix of the sessions.

PostPosted: Mon September 4th, 2017, 23:29 GMT 

Not having included "This Evening So Soon" in Self Portrait. He could have cut songs like Alberta 1 and 2 or All The Tired Horses to include that masterpiece.

PostPosted: Mon September 4th, 2017, 23:33 GMT 

likeatrain wrote:
McG wrote:
Bromberg '92. Good As I Been To You should have been culled from those sessions.

I mean - fuck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFRYQStXCWw

That and 'Polly Vaughan' - great vocals. The instrumentation and arrangements are fussy and OTT, though, and I can imagine why Bob wasn't happy with the results. That electric guitar in 'Kaatskill,' for example, with all its noodling behind the vocals: just annoying. Would love to hear a bare-bones mix of the sessions.

What!? The way the electric guitar bounces behind Dylan in that recording is indispensable in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 03:32 GMT 

The misguided delusion that the holy trilogy was the best that Bob ever did or could do. Piffle. Straight up piffle repeated by hippies who still think the 60's were more awesomererer than anything else.

PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 05:59 GMT 

Sweetheart68 wrote:
The misguided delusion that the holy trilogy was the best that Bob ever did or could do. Piffle. Straight up piffle repeated by hippies who still think the 60's were more awesomererer than anything else.
It was. It is. They were. Suck it up.

PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 17:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

Sweetheart68 wrote:

The 'holy' trilogy was from '79 - '81, not the '60s.

Admittedly, Slow Train Comin', Saved, and Shot of Love are pretty awesome... which is why we are soon to be blessed with the Official Bootleg Series 13 release of more gospel material. Difficult to imagine it will can any holier than that.

PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 18:07 GMT 

Sweetheart68 wrote:

It was basically the 60's stuff that made him a worldwide phenomenon and laid the groundwork for the Nobel - and the Nobel committee is not a group of hippies.

And as you are such a self proclaimed expert, what have you produced that might leave us awestruck? Enlighten us oh gifted one(I won't hold my breath).

PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 20:08 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
Sweetheart68 wrote:
It was. It is. They were. Suck it up.

It wasn't. A lot of it is eclipsed by his more mature work. Many flashes of utter brilliance to be sure, but much of it inconsistent. Nothing compared to the more mature genius of BOTT, TOOM and L&T. I'll acknowledge the absolute change he wrought in rock and roll songwriting at the time, but that doesn't make it better than his later work. Hippies get confused between his art and the peace and love hippie second coming myth they built around him he's spent his entire career denying. That falls on deaf ears as they continue to live in their dream world. Get over it.

PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 20:11 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
Sweetheart68 wrote:

Admittedly, Slow Train Comin', Saved, and Shot of Love are pretty awesome... which is why we are soon to be blessed with the Official Bootleg Series 13 release of more gospel material. Difficult to imagine it will can any holier than that.

No. I'm using the term sarcastically, not literally.

PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 20:22 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
Sweetheart68 wrote:

Reported for holier in brain

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next