Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat December 16th, 2017, 05:26 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bob uses the internet.
PostPosted: Fri September 1st, 2017, 18:01 GMT 

When i'm not listening to Dylan, or other music,
i run a small music label and tour manage bands now and then.
Ive never worked directly with Dylan, but i do know a lot of
people who have, and he does use the internet, probobly
Skype or something like that to keep in touch with family.
I'd be surprised if he hadn't checked out this site once or twice.

PostPosted: Fri September 1st, 2017, 18:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

Probably the only thread he'd contribute to is the "biggest tragedy of Bob's career" one. Seems like his sense of humor.

PostPosted: Fri September 1st, 2017, 18:07 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
Probably the only thread he'd contribute to is the "biggest tragedy of Bob's career" one. Seems like his sense of humor.

You're probably right there

PostPosted: Sat September 2nd, 2017, 01:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

jcvf wrote:
Which post are you talking about?
Do you have the link?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=90965

PostPosted: Sat September 2nd, 2017, 01:39 GMT 

:D
Nightingale's Code wrote:
jcvf wrote:
Which post are you talking about?
Do you have the link?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=90965

PostPosted: Sat September 2nd, 2017, 17:17 GMT 

Bob said it himself in a Rome interview I believe, that he was afraid to use the internet, because perverts would take advantage of him.

PostPosted: Sat September 2nd, 2017, 18:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

It would certainly make finding new lyrics SOO much easier.

PostPosted: Sat September 2nd, 2017, 22:41 GMT 

Bob has read and posted on here and Dylan Pool in the past.

He also has email and emails people. He probably watches his own YouTube videos too, when he's not scouring works of literature for lines for songs :-)

He is very much aware of the internet, how could he not be in 2017 and he is very much aware of a fair amount of his most visible fans on the road and elsewhere. All of this is known. In fact back in the day, less so now, he interacted more with his fans on and off stage, as I'm sure a handful on this forum and others can personally testify to. Plus we know he used Flickr and follows blogs to get some of his 'inspiration' for Art etc.

I have an email addressed to me about Zydeco music from a certain person and to this day i swear it was Bob who replied in that instance. Anyway I treasure it.

PostPosted: Sat September 2nd, 2017, 23:50 GMT 

trevgibb wrote:

He also has email and emails people. He probably watches his own YouTube videos too, when he's not scouring works of literature for lines for songs :-)

He is very much aware of the internet, how could he not be in 2017 and he is very much aware of a fair amount of his most visible fans on the road and elsewhere. All of this is known. In fact back in the day, less so now, he interacted more with his fans on and off stage, as I'm sure a handful on this forum and others can personally testify to. Plus we know he used Flickr and follows blogs to get some of his 'inspiration' for Art etc.

I have an email addressed to me about Zydeco music from a certain person and to this day i swear it was Bob who replied in that instance. Anyway I treasure it.

There is this mystic almost reclusive image of him in peoples minds that i talk to here in the UK,
especially in the music industry. Whereas say, Neil Young has made quite well known his love of
the internet many i know seem to think of Bob as someone who doesn't use the net, but you're right
Trev, in 2017 (very nearly 2018) there's not many people of any generation not antiquated with the
internet, including my 92 year old grandad :)

PostPosted: Sun September 3rd, 2017, 04:16 GMT 
Promethium Member

Yup. Lots of people in his age group use the internet in some way, they just don't live there. I suspect he'd enjoy the ability to drop in at ER or elsewhere and have conversations free of having to be "Bob Dylan".

PostPosted: Sun September 3rd, 2017, 06:27 GMT 

I remember making a post about Love and Theft and him playing the weaker songs from it like Tweedle etc and I said how much I loved Mississippi and a few days later it appeared in the set on that tour he did with Mark Knopfler and I even got to hear it live, Ok as per Bob it was completely different arrangement but I did believe Bob read my post on here because it was too strange a coincidence.

PostPosted: Sun September 3rd, 2017, 08:11 GMT 

dylanswife wrote:
Bob said it himself in a Rome interview I believe, that he was afraid to use the internet, because perverts would take advantage of him.

That was 800 years ago.

PostPosted: Sun September 3rd, 2017, 14:33 GMT 

I'll bet he's just like the way my dad was on the internet.
I gave him a computer and showed him how to use it. He'd let weeks pass without touching it. And when he used it, he'd forgotten what I showed him. He'd call me on the phone all upset because he can't check his email. I'd go through it with him and he'd be okay. A week later he'd claim his computer was broken. I go over and check it out, he clicked on spam and now his computer is infected. I reload everything and now he can't remember his passwords. He'd call up saying he typed something and it disappeared. And over and over as the years passed. It was a big source of aggravation for the old man.

PostPosted: Sun September 3rd, 2017, 15:18 GMT 

Winter Lude wrote:
I'll bet he's just like the way my dad was on the internet.
I gave him a computer and showed him how to use it. He'd let weeks pass without touching it. And when he used it, he'd forgotten what I showed him. He'd call me on the phone all upset because he can't check his email. I'd go through it with him and he'd be okay. A week later he'd claim his computer was broken. I go over and check it out, he clicked on spam and now his computer is infected. I reload everything and now he can't remember his passwords. He'd call up saying he typed something and it disappeared. And over and over as the years passed. It was a big source of aggravation for the old man.

My Dad's a bit like that.

PostPosted: Sun September 3rd, 2017, 15:31 GMT 

LibraChild1980 wrote:
When i'm not listening to Dylan, or other music,
i run a small music label and tour manage bands now and then.
Ive never worked directly with Dylan, but i do know a lot of
people who have, and he does use the internet, probobly
Skype or something like that to keep in touch with family.
I'd be surprised if he hadn't checked out this site once or twice.

I've pondered the same thing. In fact, I wonder if Bob has indeed gotten a few ideas for his lyrics from this forum. :D

PostPosted: Sun September 3rd, 2017, 15:34 GMT 

LibraChild1980 wrote:
trevgibb wrote:

There is this mystic almost reclusive image of him in peoples minds that i talk to here in the UK,
especially in the music industry. Whereas say, Neil Young has made quite well known his love of
the internet many i know seem to think of Bob as someone who doesn't use the net, but you're right
Trev, in 2017 (very nearly 2018) there's not many people of any generation not antiquated with the
internet, including my 92 year old grandad :)

Neil Young's Twitter account placed me on it's list of New York City Photographers. :D

PostPosted: Sun September 3rd, 2017, 20:32 GMT 

Speaking of coincidences: In Spring 2005, I started a threat at the old Dylan pool site very politely asking Mr. Dylan to consider playing both "Shelter From the Storm" and "Mississippi" as I thought they would sound good with his new band. Both songs appeared within the week. To this day I tell myself that he read that and played them for me.

PostPosted: Mon September 4th, 2017, 04:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

well he better. and sit under an oak tree.

PostPosted: Mon September 4th, 2017, 09:17 GMT 

trevgibb wrote:

Details?

PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 03:25 GMT 

If I follow the line of reasoning that Bob played a song for a fan who posted the request in this or whatever forum then how do we reconcile the begging and pleading of nearly everyone to change the never-ending set list that apparently falls on deaf ears?
I don't mean to barf on anyone in particular, I'm just saying...

(But just in case... Bob if you are reading this you'd better come to Arizona this fall. And for x's sake announce the tour dates you annoying rock star auuuuuugh!)

PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 03:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

In a thread hERe about what songs to add for his Japan tour a few years ago I suggested Huck's Tune, and was delighted when it appeared! I don't assume Dylan saw my post, though, that would be a stretch.

It is a true fact, however, that someone claiming to be Dylan posted on the old rec.music.dylan site (I think) that he'd play Highlands just before the song made it's debut. That's about the most conclusive case I know of.

I'd really like to hear Tempest live, if you're reading this, Mr. Dylan 8)

PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 03:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

smoke wrote:
a few years ago I suggested Huck's Tune

What a poseur.

PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 03:51 GMT 

Let's play a game. We'll all request a song that hasn't been played in the last 2 years and we'll see who Bob really likes.

I have dibbs on Narrow Way. The debut if I'm not mistaken.

PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 03:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

:lol:

"Red River Shore"

"Born In Time"

I know, 2, but we get the obvious ones out of the way.

& I'll always have hopes for "Red River Shore"

PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 04:23 GMT 

Bob is active on the internet. He posts in forums having to do with welding and boxing and his other non-musical interests. People have no idea that they're posting back and fourth with him.