Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed December 13th, 2017, 03:26 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri September 1st, 2017, 17:46 GMT 

smoke wrote:
wormington wrote:
It surprises me some that Bob approved that intro. It contains pretty much all the ettiquettes that he is allergic to and that he always rejects when confronted by the press.
It´s so un-dylanesque

It's taken word for word from a newspaper blurb for that day's show. Somewhere there's a column where the author describes walking down the aisle slightly late and hearing his own words coming over the pa to announce Bob Dylan!

Like many situations I encounter in life, this reminds me of a Simpsons episode in which a bunch of pathetic hipsters are in a bar and one of them says something, which causes a reaction from one of his mates: "that´s so uncool, man, unless you meant it ironically"

PostPosted: Mon September 4th, 2017, 12:54 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
Good evening ladies and gentlemen, would you please welcome Columbia recording artist..... BAAAB DYLAN
and then "Crash On The Levee" ('95) or "Cocaine Blues" ('99)

PostPosted: Sun December 3rd, 2017, 11:09 GMT 

the_hurricane wrote:
The foggy dew
HopE wrote:
I liked the "Columbia recording artist" announcement,
but the recent "Old Triangle"-intro is the best ever for me.

When was the old triangle used?

The Old Triangle was the concert intro in the last years. There are several names for this song: The Old Triangle aka The Auld Triangle, or The Banks of the Royal Canal, shorter The Royal Canal.
It's a song written by the late great Irish singer Dominic Behan for a drama of his better known brother Brendan Behan (name of the play: The Quare Fellow). The song was used as a prologue to this drama. Just like Bob uses the song now as a prologue to his performance (you may call his performance a play too). This may be also reminiscent of Shakespeare, to whom Bob likes to refer

Drama's and song's theme is life in prison. "The old triangle went jingle jangle" (a song line) to wake up the prisoners in the morning. Whether there is a contextual relationship between the song content, the content of the drama and Bob's performance would be interesting to discuss more closely.

Btw: I had the luck to see Dominic Behan sing this song years ago - a great experience. If I remember right, he was quite drunk that day (at least I was this) before he entered the stage. But his voice and his interpretation of this song (and his interpretation of The Wild Mountain Thyme - you see, I remember this show many years later. were unbeliebable. Such singers don't live today no more, But perhaps it's only me, who doesn't know them or they have no chance to become famous.