Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 07:41 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat August 26th, 2017, 20:54 GMT 

Whats MoW? Too many obscure acronyms going on :?

PostPosted: Sat August 26th, 2017, 20:57 GMT 

Masters of War

https://youtu.be/UxYcaGbHU90

PostPosted: Sat August 26th, 2017, 21:00 GMT 

Thanks. It can be challenging to guess the title of a Dylan song or even album by its acronym, specially when he has so many of them.

PostPosted: Sat August 26th, 2017, 23:24 GMT 

dylanswife wrote:

Oh God, that's bad. :shock: The first verse is particularly horrendous.
Now I understand all the impressions I've seen on TV so far...
I'm glad I haven't heard it first or I would not have plugged into Dylan. I might reassess Knocked Out Loaded as the southwestern masterpiece after that :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun August 27th, 2017, 06:13 GMT 

BobDylan66 wrote:
dylanswife wrote:

Oh God, that's bad. :shock: The first verse is particularly horrendous.
Now I understand all the impressions I've seen on TV so far...
I'm glad I haven't heard it first or I would not have plugged into Dylan. I might reassess Knocked Out Loaded as the southwestern masterpiece after that :mrgreen:

I notified Bobs people. Lets hope nobody else has the chance to hear this.

PostPosted: Sun August 27th, 2017, 20:45 GMT 

BobDylan66 wrote:
I might reassess Knocked Out Loaded as the southwestern masterpiece after that :mrgreen:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 00:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

dylanswife wrote:

Fantastic, blistering performance. Cesar Diaz and John Jackson step up and deliver and Bob, as we've seen in every show since the NET began, reveals why he has no musical peers.

And to think, many of us were alive to watch that when it actually took place! Wonderful... wonderful... what's else can one say?

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 06:19 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
dylanswife wrote:

Fantastic, blistering performance. Cesar Diaz and John Jackson step up and deliver and Bob, as we've seen in every show since the NET began, reveals why he has no musical peers.

And to think, many of us were alive to watch that when it actually took place! Wonderful... wonderful... what's else can one say?

How long have you been off your meds?

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 06:23 GMT 

^^^

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 06:38 GMT 

dylanswife wrote:

That was indeed awful, possibly the worst Bob performance I´ve seen :?

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 08:27 GMT 

wormington wrote:
dylanswife wrote:

That was indeed awful, possibly the worst Bob performance I´ve seen :?

Nah, this Masters of war is not the worst thing. You need to listen that New Morining he perpetrates in Stuttgart 91'.

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 17:05 GMT 

Senyor Timbaler wrote:
Nah, this Masters of war is not the worst thing. You need to listen that New Morining he perpetrates in Stuttgart 91.

The harmonica wasn't so bad..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 17:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

dylanswife wrote:

Not only is the performance horrendous, but I do believe that's Donald Trump in the audience at 9:43 (over on the far right).

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 17:22 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
Not only is the performance horrendous, but I do believe that's Donald Trump in the audience at 9:43 (over on the far right).

Him or a look alike, definitely.

I agree on the hasty and sloppy performance; still I can't help but admiring Tony Garnier when he still played bass.

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 22:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

Nightingale's Code wrote:
dylanswife wrote:

Horrendous? Something must be corrupted in your youtube link. Mine was the spell-binding performance at the '91 Grammys.

WOW!!! That pretty much says it all!

PostPosted: Thu August 31st, 2017, 04:45 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
Horrendous? Something must be corrupted in your youtube link. Mine was the spell-binding performance at the '91 Grammys.

And we should remember the context: As the U.S. was ramping up to start a war in the Middle East that would be ground zero for all our foreign relations problems for the next 25 years, Bob played a blistering anti-war song on a night when he was receiving a glitzy industry pat-on-the-back. I'm sure the Grammy folks would have much rather Bob played some nostalgic crowd-pleaser like "Blowin' In The Wind," or maybe a winkingly ironic singalong, like "Knocking On Heaven's Door." Instead he made a (by then) rare political statement. Yes, maybe it backfired, because most of the press was about how his song was "indecipherable" -- but still, the anger in his performance was clear.

PostPosted: Thu August 31st, 2017, 04:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

Sean Murdock wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:

And we should remember the context: As the U.S. was ramping up to start a war in the Middle East that would be ground zero for all our foreign relations problems for the next 25 years, Bob played a blistering anti-war song on a night when he was receiving a glitzy industry pat-on-the-back. I'm sure the Grammy folks would have much rather Bob played some nostalgic crowd-pleaser like "Blowin' In The Wind," or maybe a winkingly ironic singalong, like "Knocking On Heaven's Door." Instead he made a (by then) rare political statement. Yes, maybe it backfired, because most of the press was about how his song was "indecipherable" -- but still, the anger in his performance was clear.

Yes!! I watched the telecast live, and it was full of production numbers about America and yellow ribbons and the most horrendous crap, dancers and costumes and bullshit and more yellow ribbons, and Dylan (fairly literally) stumbled on and played Masters of War, a song I didn't know and couldn't understand a word of. I liked it then, I liked it a week later when a more experienced friend played me the original, and I still like it now.

But I am a fan.

PostPosted: Thu August 31st, 2017, 13:45 GMT 

I was watching that night and when Jack Nicholson introduced Bob. When Bob started singing it seemed like a joke. Bob sounded and looked like a shadow of what he once was, which we were just reminded of during the Bob video montage. That voice - no fortitude at all, as far off pitch as could be, just a groaning mumble. Non-fans had no idea what he was playing, and long time fans couldn't believe what they were hearing. An absolute low point, among many from that time.

Nicholson must have been wondering what the hell was going on. What was wrong with him back then? Sounds like he was strung out on something powerful. Is it the same guy who sang Dirge on Planet Waves? I think he was replaced in 1990 with Grandpa Phil from Hey Arnold (Arnold Football head)

PostPosted: Thu August 31st, 2017, 13:49 GMT 

Here's Grandpa Phil, from Hey Arnold. This is who Bob Dylan modeled his voice after in the early 90's.

https://youtu.be/2Me0mb3FVfk

PostPosted: Thu August 31st, 2017, 14:00 GMT 

That Sony have not yet released the 'Blood On The Tracks' Bootleg Series collection.

PostPosted: Thu August 31st, 2017, 14:55 GMT 

smiley wrote:
That Sony have not yet released the 'Blood On The Tracks' Bootleg Series collection.

But on the flipside, it means you have something to look forward to - unlike, for example, them releasing his God(awful) stuff.

PostPosted: Thu August 31st, 2017, 17:08 GMT 
Promethium Member

smiley wrote:

With Trump as President and many people fearing the end of the world almost any day, the world could use a little "good news" so the gospel material is just the thing.

The Blood on the Tracks material has been tucked away for over 40 years, another year or two won't hurt much.

Sounds like they're going to excise Bob's "raps" from the live material which would be a shame. But if that leaves more space for more songs I can accept that. Hopefully there will be some unknown gems from the studio included.

PostPosted: Thu August 31st, 2017, 20:48 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
smiley wrote:

With Trump as President and many people fearing the end of the world almost any day, the world could use a little "good news" so the gospel material is just the thing.

The Blood on the Tracks material has been tucked away for over 40 years, another year or two won't hurt much.

Sounds like they're going to excise Bob's "raps" from the live material which would be a shame. But if that leaves more space for more songs I can accept that. Hopefully there will be some unknown gems from the studio included.

Yeah, your God clearly loves Texas.

PostPosted: Fri September 1st, 2017, 03:29 GMT 

smiley wrote:

True, but at this point it's not that tragic because we've already heard it. It's been out there so long that anyone who really wants it can get it free.

PostPosted: Fri September 1st, 2017, 18:54 GMT 

Winter Lude wrote:
smiley wrote:

True, but at this point it's not that tragic because we've already heard it. It's been out there so long that anyone who really wants it can get it free.

That's what i was thinking, what could really be left to hear that hasn't already
been released officially or via bootleg?
Unless there are other working versions of the tracks that haven't been leaked.
I'll be honest, i wouldn't be interested in an albums worth of half recorded ideas
of songs from 'Blood On The Tracks'. He took good advice, re-recorded some of
the songs and we got one of the best albums he's ever released, so unless there
were to be completely unheard full songs omitted (and the chances are low) i
wouldn't be keen on buying it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next