Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu December 14th, 2017, 00:36 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gospel era documentary
PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 16:53 GMT 

Has anyone seen this article about a 1979-80 Dylan documentary being added to the new York film festival? The article says its a global premier with footage of Dylan on stage from that period.

http://www.thewrap.com/kate-winslet-ste ... al-lineup/

"Three documentaries will be presented as New York Film Festival special events: Susan Lacy’s “Spielberg,” about the veteran director; Jennifer Lebeau’s “Trouble No More,” which includes rare concert footage from Dylan’s 1979-80 concert tour during his controversial Christian music period; and Susan Froemke’s “The Opera House,” about New York’s Metropolitan Opera House."

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 17:28 GMT 

https://www.filmlinc.org/nyff2017/films ... e-no-more/

A little more info here.

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 20:03 GMT 
Mercury Member

Here's Rolling Stone's article about it - http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news ... ff-w499999

The hour-long Trouble No More constitutes lost footage from Dylan's 1979/80 tour during his "born again" phase, with the singer performing in Buffalo and Toronto with an esteemed backing band in support of his Slow Train Coming.

Directed by Jennifer Lebeau, Trouble No More's uncovered footage has all been newly restored, with Luc Sarte-penned sermons read by actor Michael Shannon interspersed throughout the live video. Dylan is rumored to be working on a Bootleg Series release dedicated to his gospel years.

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 22:35 GMT 

well that is the greatest news that you can bring.
i hope that there is much to see !!!

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 23:31 GMT 

60 minutes!?!? all fragments again i think, like he used to do it before.

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 23:53 GMT 

That's why i posted about him selling a huge stockpile
of footage. I'm certain that's going to seriously effect
what bootleg series we see in the future.
What he sold has gone to a place where only people
who actually go to the city its in and can prove they
are dyanologists can even see the material.

PostPosted: Tue August 29th, 2017, 00:15 GMT 

Great, I can't wait to see this.

The sermons that will be read by Michael Shannon are written by Luc Sante, a writer who won the Grammy for best album notes for the 1997 reissue of Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music. He also wrote the text for Dust-to-Digital's box set Take Me to the Water: Immersion Baptism in Vintage Music and Photography 1890-1950, a collection Dylan most definitely owns or has listened to, considering the same label's box set Goodbye, Babylon is a known favourite of Dylan's.

This sounds more interesting to me than two straight concerts, the likes of which will most likely be released in their original form one day anyway, perhaps even on the upcoming Bootleg Series release.

PostPosted: Tue August 29th, 2017, 00:49 GMT 
Promethium Member

LibraChild1980 wrote:
...a place where only people
who actually go to the city its in and can prove they
are dyanologists can even see the material.

So how does one prove they are an official certified Dylanologist?

PostPosted: Tue August 29th, 2017, 00:56 GMT 

They have to graduate from AJ Weberversity.

PostPosted: Tue August 29th, 2017, 02:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

dylanswife wrote:
They have to graduate from AJ Weberversity.

The first course, Garbology 101, looks a bit nasty though.
It's a prerequisite to most of the other courses.
Heard it weeds a lot of folks outta the curriculum quickly.

PostPosted: Tue August 29th, 2017, 06:15 GMT 

This documentary really sounds intersteing. I hope it gets a wider distribution.
A DVD maybe? With some bonus content? Would be nice...

PostPosted: Tue August 29th, 2017, 08:50 GMT 

Hopefully we'll see a general release and it won't impede on any complete concerts being released. That would make good news, really crap. All signs are pointing towards the Gospel Years being the next Bootleg release.

PostPosted: Tue August 29th, 2017, 16:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

Anyone in NYC want to meet up and see it?

PostPosted: Wed August 30th, 2017, 12:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

From the "When the Heck...BS13 related thread:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Trouble No More.
Interesting companion film title in the year we lost Gregg Allman.

Makes sense as its roots thread back to Muddy Waters & Sleepy John Estes, who both undoubtedly influenced a handful of Bob tunes.

From Wikipedia (so it must be true):
Trouble No More" is a variation of "Someday Baby Blues," recorded by Sleepy John Estes in 1935, a song that has been interpreted and recorded by numerous artists. "Muddy Waters calls his "Trouble No More" and Big Maceo titled his "Worried Life Blues." Be that as it may ... they all derive from Sleepy John Estes' 1935 classic "Someday Baby Blues." As he did with "Rollin' Stone," "Rollin' and Tumblin'," "Walkin' Blues," and "Baby Please Don't Go," Muddy Waters took an older country blues and made it into a Chicago blues. Waters also modified the lyrics, using "Someday baby, you ain't gonna trouble, poor me anymore" instead of Estes' "Someday baby, you ain't gonna worry, my mind anymore" (Estes' 1938 version "New Someday Baby" uses "trouble" in place of "worry;" Bob Dylan's 2006 "Someday Baby" uses "trouble, poor me anymore").

The Allman Brothers Band recorded their arrangement of Muddy Waters' "Trouble No More" for their debut album The Allman Brothers Band (1969). A 1971 live recording of the song from the Fillmore East was included on Eat a Peach (1972). Both albums were best sellers (The Allman Brothers Band was certified "Gold," Eat A Peach as "Platinum") and brought "Trouble No More" to a new level of recognition.

Also, another article from today's front page on the film too:

Trouble No More is due to screen during this year's New York Film Festival

A documentary on Bob Dylan is due to screen during the New York Film Festival.

Variety reports that the film Trouble No More, is due to screen during the New York Film Festival.

The Festival has carried a break-down of the film, which is scheduled for Monday, October 2:

“This very special film consists of truly electrifying video footage, much of it thought to have been lost for years and all newly restored, shot at shows in Toronto and Buffalo on the last leg of the ’79-’80 tour (with an amazing band: Muscle Shoals veteran Spooner Oldham and Terry Young on keyboards, Little Feat’s Fred Tackett on guitar, Tim Drummond on bass, the legendary Jim Keltner on drums and Clydie King, Gwen Evans, Mona Lisa Young, Regina McCrary and Mary Elizabeth Bridges on vocals) interspersed with sermons written by Luc Sante and beautifully delivered by Michael Shannon.”

The film is directed by Jennifer Lebeau and runs just shy of an hour.

In connected news, Pitchfork notes that there’s a companion book coming, too: Trouble In Mind: Bob Dylan’s Gospel Years – What Really Happened, and you can find some further info about that over on the book’s Amazon page.

Read more at http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/bob-dylans- ... Y6VoG1o.99

PostPosted: Wed August 30th, 2017, 12:41 GMT 

"Interspersed with sermons". Ugh.

PostPosted: Wed August 30th, 2017, 14:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

mjmooney wrote:

Might be quite interesting really.
Bob actually speaking on stage!

PostPosted: Wed August 30th, 2017, 15:11 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
mjmooney wrote:

Might be quite interesting really.
Bob actually speaking on stage!
"written by Luc Sante and beautifully delivered by Michael Shannon.”

PostPosted: Thu August 31st, 2017, 02:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

Oh shit.

PostPosted: Fri September 1st, 2017, 16:08 GMT 

What news! I'm no film festival nerd, so what are the chances this lil' project will see its way to a dvd release?

PostPosted: Fri September 1st, 2017, 16:36 GMT 

Yes that's exactly what I was wondering! Come to think of it, why not include a DVD in the new Bootleg Edition? :D that would be fantastic wouldn't it

PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 12:40 GMT 

With news of a companion book due out im hoping its companion will be a DVD release.

PostPosted: Thu September 7th, 2017, 22:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

Seems logical that it would.

PostPosted: Sat September 9th, 2017, 11:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

From today's front page:

Trouble No More

WORLD PREMIERE
New York Film Festival

Showtimes
MONDAY, OCTOBER 2

9:00 PM On Sale Sept. 10

VENUE
Walter Reade Theater

Jennifer Lebeau 2017 USA 59 minutes

Like every other episode in the life of Bob Dylan, the “born again” period that supposedly began with the release of Slow Train Coming (1979) and supposedly ended with Shot of Love (1981) has been endlessly scrutinized in the press. Less attention has been paid to the magnificent music he made. This very special film consists of truly electrifying video footage, much of it thought to have been lost for years and all newly restored, shot at shows in Toronto and Buffalo on the last leg of the ’79-’80 tour (with an amazing band: Muscle Shoals veteran Spooner Oldham and Terry Young on keyboards, Little Feat’s Fred Tackett on guitar, Tim Drummond on bass, the legendary Jim Keltner on drums and Clydie King, Gwen Evans, Mona Lisa Young, Regina McCrary and Mary Elizabeth Bridges on vocals) interspersed with sermons written by Luc Sante and beautifully delivered by Michael Shannon. More than just a record of some concerts, Trouble No More is a total experience.

PostPosted: Sat September 9th, 2017, 13:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
From today's front page:

Trouble No More

WORLD PREMIERE
New York Film Festival

Showtimes
MONDAY, OCTOBER 2

9:00 PM On Sale Sept. 10

VENUE
Walter Reade Theater

Jennifer Lebeau 2017 USA 59 minutes

Like every other episode in the life of Bob Dylan, the “born again” period that supposedly began with the release of Slow Train Coming (1979) and supposedly ended with Shot of Love (1981) has been endlessly scrutinized in the press. Less attention has been paid to the magnificent music he made. This very special film consists of truly electrifying video footage, much of it thought to have been lost for years and all newly restored, shot at shows in Toronto and Buffalo on the last leg of the ’79-’80 tour (with an amazing band: Muscle Shoals veteran Spooner Oldham and Terry Young on keyboards, Little Feat’s Fred Tackett on guitar, Tim Drummond on bass, the legendary Jim Keltner on drums and Clydie King, Gwen Evans, Mona Lisa Young, Regina McCrary and Mary Elizabeth Bridges on vocals) interspersed with sermons written by Luc Sante and beautifully delivered by Michael Shannon. More than just a record of some concerts, Trouble No More is a total experience.

Looks great. I think the gospel era is in for a reassessment. I missed the whole thing. I'm kind of turned off by bible thumping zealots, so I ignored the whole era.
But after hearing some of the stuff from that time, and the terrific backup singers he had then, I'm eager to see this piece.

PostPosted: Sat September 9th, 2017, 16:02 GMT 

Quote:
More than just a record of some concerts, Trouble No More is a total experience.

How can it even scrape the surface being only 59 minutes long, and including a bunch of sermons written and delivered by someone else? Nobody wants that.