Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 18th, 2017, 10:06 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 872 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 19:16 GMT 

I do like this era of Bob's career and am eagerly anticipating this title (and any details about its contents).

What I'm wondering, however, is how much "Shot Of Love" is going to factor into the set. That's an album that has always fascinated me despite hardly being one of Bob's best. Part of it is the stuff from this era later released elsewhere ("Caribbean Wind", "Angelina" and "Don't Ever Take Yourself Away"), but I also like how Bob's output seemed very much in transition. I've never subscribed to the theory that events in his personal life led him back to secular music as much as the idea that Bob began to feel pigeonholed by a musical genre even more rigid than the folk/protest genre he had outgrown a decade earlier.

But I don't know. Ultimately, I'm preparing to look at the gospel albums from an entirely new perspective, and I hope that this title encompasses the entire "Shot Of Love" era.

PostPosted: Mon August 21st, 2017, 10:22 GMT 
Promethium Member

Now that Fall Tour dates are trickling in, this announcement shouldn't be too far down the line.

PostPosted: Tue August 22nd, 2017, 11:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

Had a dream about the set last night. It was only two discs, but came in an oversized brown wooden box. Am I far off?

PostPosted: Tue August 22nd, 2017, 11:51 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:
Had a dream about the set last night. It was only two discs, but came in an over sized brown wooden box. Am I far off?

Verrrry interesting. The wooden box of course a clear symbol of death, my interpretation of your dream is that since Bob is getting older and older you fear that every new release will be his last, the end of his musical career, and also that eventually his actual death will follow. On the other hand, the 2 discs is a reminder of the duality of human nature, body and soul. You want to believe that even if he does die soon, his spirit will continue to gracefully shine on us and sing sweet Sinatra tunes when we are in times of need, forevermore.
I also interpret from the above that you want to kill your father and have sex with your mother.

Sorry, bored at work :oops:

PostPosted: Tue August 22nd, 2017, 12:01 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:
Had a dream about the set last night. It was only two discs, but came in an oversized brown wooden box. Am I far off?

A pine-box for all eternity? Should certainly last longer than a jewel-case.

PostPosted: Tue August 22nd, 2017, 13:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

Mickvet wrote:
goodnitesteve wrote:

A pine-box for all eternity? Should certainly last longer than a jewel-case.

I was thinking a bottle of wine and the bread of Christ.

PostPosted: Wed August 23rd, 2017, 01:06 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:

Your subconscious/collective unconscious might be onto something with the wooden box. A favourite box set of Dylan's is Goodbye, Babylon, a six-disc collection of early American gospel music, packaged within a wooden box.

In regards to the two-disc vision, I remember someone mentioning that it was going to be an eight-disc set, but that could include the three gospel studio albums, a couple of DVDs, and the bootleg discs (perhaps two of them!?).

PostPosted: Wed August 23rd, 2017, 01:32 GMT 

mystic garden wrote:
goodnitesteve wrote:

Your subconscious/collective unconscious might be onto something with the wooden box. A favourite box set of Dylan's is Goodbye, Babylon, a six-disc collection of early American gospel music, packaged within a wooden box.

In regards to the two-disc vision, I remember someone mentioning that it was going to be an eight-disc set, but that could include the three gospel studio albums, a couple of DVDs, and the bootleg discs (perhaps two of them!?).

Not that it needs to be said, but I hope this volume keeps previously-released material to a minimum. Especially album cuts. I'll take material from BS1-3 again/remastered, but I don't think any of us need album cuts from the gospel three. (unless, of course, they're going to give us complete sessions! but they won't.)

PostPosted: Thu August 24th, 2017, 03:34 GMT 

Look for an announcement of the gospel years box set in mid-September. And keep your eyes peeled for an amazing live concert video promo for this set about the same time.

PostPosted: Thu August 24th, 2017, 08:00 GMT 

Geezerfreak wrote:
Look for an announcement of the gospel years box set in mid-September. And keep your eyes peeled for an amazing live concert video promo for this set about the same time.

Hallelujah and amen. :D

PostPosted: Thu August 24th, 2017, 08:24 GMT 

Geezerfreak wrote:

I'm sooo ready to let that light shine on me.

PostPosted: Thu August 24th, 2017, 10:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

Geezerfreak wrote:

Thanks Geezer!
Looking forward to more Tour Dates being announced soon, too!!!

PostPosted: Thu August 24th, 2017, 12:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

Geezerfreak wrote:

Hallelujah, I'm Ready to Go!

PostPosted: Thu August 24th, 2017, 14:47 GMT 

Geezerfreak wrote:

Wait! Don't go! There's so many things I wanna ask you...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu August 24th, 2017, 21:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

:lol:

https://youtu.be/cFdEkisu8tQ

PostPosted: Fri August 25th, 2017, 15:03 GMT 

Geezerfreak wrote:

Nice! Wasn't it Geezerfreak who had the scoop on the Shadows of the Nights/Fallen Angels session? I think Didn't He Ramble was the only tune that he listed that wasn't released.

PostPosted: Fri August 25th, 2017, 15:23 GMT 

Geezerfreak wrote:

Yes! Thanks for the share. Can't wait, just a few more weeks...

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 19:04 GMT 

http://pitchfork.com/news/new-bob-dylan ... -and-video

Pitchfork saying that the new gospel documentary is linked to the new book and bootleg series, both due this fall

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 19:20 GMT 

eltedioso wrote:
Not that it needs to be said, but I hope this volume keeps previously-released material to a minimum. Especially album cuts. I'll take material from BS1-3 again/remastered, but I don't think any of us need album cuts from the gospel three. (unless, of course, they're going to give us complete sessions! but they won't.)

none of the other sets (complete sessions aside) have included stuff from the actual albums, so I doubt that's a problem

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 19:21 GMT 

ingate94 wrote:
http://pitchfork.com/news/new-bob-dylan-concert-film-premiering-at-new-york-film-festival/?mbid=homepage-more-latest-and-video

Pitchfork saying that the new gospel documentary is linked to the new book and bootleg series, both due this fall

Bravo. Book, Doc and 3 (or more) disc set... insta buy.

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 19:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

^No Direction Home had Song To Woody on it didn't it?

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 19:23 GMT 

yolacrary wrote:
eltedioso wrote:

none of the other sets (complete sessions aside) have included stuff from the actual albums, so I doubt that's a problem

Untrue. BS7 has "Song to Woody" for some reason! :D

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 21:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

ingate94 wrote:
http://pitchfork.com/news/new-bob-dylan-concert-film-premiering-at-new-york-film-festival/?mbid=homepage-more-latest-and-video

Chronicles Volume III?... Completely Annotated with all sermon references and updated with his take on all of it now.

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 23:21 GMT 

yolacrary wrote:
eltedioso wrote:

BS10 deluxe edition included a remastered version of Self Portrait, so the rumours of an 8CD edition of the Gospel Years could very well be the deluxe edition with the inclusion of the three original albums remastered, leaving five discs of unreleased audio and video footage.

PostPosted: Tue August 29th, 2017, 00:33 GMT 

The new book is most likely the one that Clinton Heylin wrote that's been on the homepage for months now

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 872 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 35  Next