Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri November 24th, 2017, 09:34 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu August 25th, 2016, 00:24 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 20th, 2008, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 159
Location: Bergenfield, NJ - USA
Sometime in the past year, I stopped getting email notifications when there were new posts to a thread I was subscribed to. I've checked my preferences and I'm still set up to receive these emails, but I never get them anymore. Anyone have any idea why? I'm on a Mac using Safari, if that matters. Thanks in advance!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 25th, 2016, 01:34 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 5th, 2012, 18:52 GMT
Posts: 4894
Location: In a hole in the ground there lived a....
What type of email do you have?

Emails from ER typically wind up in my Yahoo spam filter.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 25th, 2016, 03:40 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 25th, 2011, 17:35 GMT
Posts: 5524
Location: .....down by the river
If you don't read the new posts on the threads you are subscribed to, you will stop
receiving notifications.
Maybe that's what's happened?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 25th, 2016, 18:08 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 20th, 2008, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 159
Location: Bergenfield, NJ - USA
kuddukan wrote:
What type of email do you have?

Emails from ER typically wind up in my Yahoo spam filter.

I'm using Apple Mail, as I have for years without problem. I've checked my Junk folder several times, and never had an ER notice go there. Very puzzling.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 25th, 2016, 18:10 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 20th, 2008, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 159
Location: Bergenfield, NJ - USA
Queen Anne Lace wrote:
If you don't read the new posts on the threads you are subscribed to, you will stop receiving notifications. Maybe that's what's happened?

Nope, I've gone back to subscribed threads and caught up on them, and still don't get the email notices. I've tried subscribing to new threads, thinking maybe it's just the old ones that I'm cut off from, but no luck.

I have "Notify me" checked for this very thread, but I still had to go back myself and check to see if anyone replied! :?:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 26th, 2016, 07:28 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon September 23rd, 2013, 20:25 GMT
Posts: 1172
seanmurd wrote:
Nope, I've gone back to subscribed threads and caught up on them, and still don't get the email notices.

Maybe it makes a difference if you open the threads from here or if you open the link in the notification mails? Try clicking on the links in the last notification mails and see if you get new mails.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 27th, 2016, 05:03 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 20th, 2008, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 159
Location: Bergenfield, NJ - USA
my precious time wrote:
seanmurd wrote:
Nope, I've gone back to subscribed threads and caught up on them, and still don't get the email notices.

Maybe it makes a difference if you open the threads from here or if you open the link in the notification mails? Try clicking on the links in the last notification mails and see if you get new mails.

I will try that, but it doesn't explain why I stopped getting the notifications in the first place. It never mattered before how you read the threads; as long as there were no "new" posts to read, you got an email.

I do appreciate the attempts to help, by the way. Keep the suggestions coming -- I'm hoping that an administrator sees this thread at some point and can fix this!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 27th, 2016, 06:46 GMT 
Site Owner
User avatar

Joined: Thu October 28th, 2004, 08:07 GMT
Posts: 448
Location: Oslo, Norway
I see you and am totally incompetent about this. I checked the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" and since then I have been receiving an email whenever the thread gets a new post. So it works for me. I am sorry I can't help.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2016, 23:45 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue August 28th, 2007, 07:16 GMT
Posts: 23501
Location: any where a music tragic might be found
it has been over 9 months since I last received an email. I have done eveything suggested over that time and still nothing. As some other posters are now reporting similiar experiences , I nwould suggest the fault is ER's and not ours.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu September 1st, 2016, 14:30 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 20th, 2008, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 159
Location: Bergenfield, NJ - USA
Karl Erik wrote:
I see you and am totally incompetent about this. I checked the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" and since then I have been receiving an email whenever the thread gets a new post. So it works for me. I am sorry I can't help.

Hi Karl -- thanks for checking in. Is there anyone on the technical end of the website or forum who could look into this? It's really frustrating!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat September 3rd, 2016, 14:42 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 3rd, 2016, 14:33 GMT
Posts: 19
OK, I've created a new account -- maybe this will work? Somebody please respond to this thread so I can find out!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat September 3rd, 2016, 16:17 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 3rd, 2016, 14:33 GMT
Posts: 19
Well, question answered -- creating a new account did the trick, and I have started getting email notifications again! Still hope my original user account can be fixed somehow...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri September 16th, 2016, 07:47 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue August 28th, 2007, 07:16 GMT
Posts: 23501
Location: any where a music tragic might be found
Sean Murdock wrote:
Well, question answered -- creating a new account did the trick, and I have started getting email notifications again! Still hope my original user account can be fixed somehow...

Doubt it, I have been waiting since January.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri September 16th, 2016, 07:59 GMT 
Site Owner
User avatar

Joined: Thu October 28th, 2004, 08:07 GMT
Posts: 448
Location: Oslo, Norway
Sorry, there is no team of Super Marios tooling around inside this machine.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri September 16th, 2016, 12:05 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 3rd, 2016, 14:33 GMT
Posts: 19
Karl Erik wrote:
Sorry, there is no team of Super Marios tooling around inside this machine.

No problem, Karl -- I just want to enjoy your great forum as much as possible!

Maybe I'll try going back to my original account, changing the email to the one that's working, and then if that works, changing it back. Either way, I'm getting notifications now!

Sean


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri September 16th, 2016, 13:48 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 3rd, 2016, 14:33 GMT
Posts: 19
Sean Murdock wrote:
Karl Erik wrote:
Sorry, there is no team of Super Marios tooling around inside this machine.

No problem, Karl -- I just want to enjoy your great forum as much as possible!

Maybe I'll try going back to my original account, changing the email to the one that's working, and then if that works, changing it back. Either way, I'm getting notifications now!

Sean


Note to anyone having similar problems -- switching to the "working" email doesn't work, because the forum won't let me use an email address for Account #1 that is already in use (by Account #2). So, for now, I just have to use this alternate account. Not the worst thing in the world.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri October 14th, 2016, 10:56 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue August 28th, 2007, 07:16 GMT
Posts: 23501
Location: any where a music tragic might be found
Still waiting for this to be fixed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed March 8th, 2017, 00:02 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue August 28th, 2007, 07:16 GMT
Posts: 23501
Location: any where a music tragic might be found
6 months later , still nothing has been done!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed August 2nd, 2017, 00:30 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue August 28th, 2007, 07:16 GMT
Posts: 23501
Location: any where a music tragic might be found
4 more months still waiting. How much longer please?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed August 2nd, 2017, 07:54 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun January 22nd, 2017, 21:15 GMT
Posts: 512
Location: on a bridge
Do you have to sign up for the notifications ? :oops:
I always just log in and check new posts

moab


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 17th, 2017, 14:47 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 3rd, 2016, 14:33 GMT
Posts: 19
man on a bridge wrote:
Do you have to sign up for the notifications ? :oops:
I always just log in and check new posts

moab

Of course you can always log in and check for new threads and posts, but getting the email notice sure is convenient.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 17th, 2017, 21:11 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 13th, 2008, 03:43 GMT
Posts: 4887
Sean Murdock wrote:
Of course you can always log in and check for new threads and posts, but getting the email notice sure is convenient.
It is, but for most people just clicking on 'view your posts' when you log in is an easy enough way to stay abreast of responses to the threads you've contributed to


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed August 23rd, 2017, 04:09 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 3rd, 2016, 14:33 GMT
Posts: 19
AndoDoug wrote:
Sean Murdock wrote:
Of course you can always log in and check for new threads and posts, but getting the email notice sure is convenient.
It is, but for most people just clicking on 'view your posts' when you log in is an easy enough way to stay abreast of responses to the threads you've contributed to

That's not really the point, though, is it? First of all, you're supposed to be able to subscribe to threads without actually responding to them, and still get notifications when they are updated. Secondly, there's a problem with the forum that has existed for several members for years now, and it's never been addressed. It's unfortunate, because the forum is a great one, but this glitch makes it harder (not easier) to interact with it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed August 23rd, 2017, 04:22 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 4th, 2013, 06:39 GMT
Posts: 5796
Location: in the mystic garden
Is it that hard to just seek out the threads you want to see new posts on and peruse them periodically?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed August 23rd, 2017, 06:11 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 3rd, 2016, 14:33 GMT
Posts: 19
Nightingale's Code wrote:
Is it that hard to just seek out the threads you want to see new posts on and peruse them periodically?

I didn't start the thread to debate the ease or difficulty of receiving email notifications vs. perusing the threads periodically. I started it because a feature of the forum (email notifications to subscribed threads) stopped working for myself and at least a few others; I was hoping the problem could be resolved, but it seems it won't be. Honestly, why even contribute to the thread unless you're (a) having the same problem, or (b) offering a solution?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group