Go to main page
It is currently Sat February 24th, 2018, 12:20 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed August 16th, 2017, 16:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

Canadee-I-oo, Ragged & dirty and Lone Pilgrim cover the decade for me

PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 12:35 GMT 

I love 'Under A Red Sky', Born In Time is a Dylan classic, and in general,
the music is fun, although it's lyrically darker than some reviewers notice.
Good As I Been To You is the only album between 90 and 97 that i don't
listen to. World Gone Wrong is amazing, his playing is great, he's got fantastic
vocal delivery on that one too.
Time Out Of Mind is perhaps the more personal sounding record, i do so wish
that he'd felt able to produce it himself, but that's only a minor issue the album
is outstanding.

PostPosted: Wed January 31st, 2018, 22:17 GMT 

I've been listening to all his 90s albums recently so I thought I'd give this a shot:

1. Time Out of Mind
2. World Gone Wrong (occasionally takes the number one spot)
3. Under the Red Sky
4.Good As I Been to you (sometimes 3rd)
5. MTV Unplugged
6. 30th anniversary concert

The 30th anniversary show, for the most part, bores me. I don't care for most of the covers and Dylan's performances aren't things I come back to. Good As I Been To You is a good record but I think WGW is much better, which is why I don't go back to it often. Under the Red Sky is silly and definitely not his best, but I do put it on occasionally. MTV Unplugged is a good live album in my opinion (probably better than Good As I Been... now that I think of it) but not one I've gone back to recently. I've been listening to other shows from that year, there's a lot more variety. World Gone Wrong is a superb album, even if they're covers the final product is so strong that it rubs shoulders with TOOM as my favorite of the 90s. What an underrated decade, even if he only put out 2 albums of originals there was still a ton of great moments both live and on record.

PostPosted: Wed January 31st, 2018, 22:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

Best is easily Time Out of Mind, and it's not even close.

Worst Under the Red Sky

I like the Unplugged concert. Not too crazy about the acoustic albums or the 30th Anniversary show. Most of the time if I'm gonna be listening to 90's Dylan it'll be in Bootleg form. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed February 7th, 2018, 06:29 GMT 

For me:

Best: Time Out Of Mind and Good As I Been To You (tie; both are wonderful)
Worst: Under The Red Sky

The others are decent ones.

PostPosted: Wed February 7th, 2018, 12:20 GMT 

There are NO Dylan albums that I totally dislike, but seeing that list makes me realise that I'm pretty underwhelmed by his 90s output. TOOM is the best for sure, but I find it pretty depressing, and I feel it would have been better at half the length - with some of the TTS outtakes included, and without the Lanois sludge. I probably play UTRS more often - it's slight, but more fun.

PostPosted: Wed February 7th, 2018, 23:33 GMT 

1. Time Out of Mind -- My favourite of any period.
2. World Gone Wrong -- Amazing.
3. MTV Unplugged -- More hits than I usually need, but always surprised how little attention this album gets. "Dignity" (definitive), "Desolation Row," "Shooting Star," "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" (my fave version of a song I otherwise never listen to), "Tombstone Blues, "John Brown," even "Like a Rolling Stone." The singing is mind-blowing.
4. Good as I Been to You -- Some great performances here. Brilliant unreinvention.
5. under the red sky -- certainly an album worth revisiting at times. I appreciate what it was aiming for and I dig that it represents his real sound at the time quite well.
6. 30th Anniversary -- I can't do this stuff where you have a bunch of guests paying tribute, though I was at London Drugs and saw Bob's performance of "It's Alright, Ma" solo on the TV there and it was awesome.

Last edited by Loose Fur on Wed February 7th, 2018, 23:53 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed February 7th, 2018, 23:52 GMT 

I was eight years old when my dad brought home 'Time Out of Mind' and it played in his car for three years it seemed.

It boggles me to consider how much he put into this album. Imagine how much time and patience he took with the writing.

Seeing videos of him playing with the Grateful Dead looking completely lost and without purpose, drunk under the hood of a sweatshirt and just being carried along with it made me so sad. But it also made me appreciate the strength it took to slowly return to dignity and get a great thing going with the NET, and have the desire to produce another epic album that would be held with his best work.

He had warmed up to presenting himself as an older person. In fact it's funny to think that he was only 56 when this album was released. For my money, only Leonard Cohen approached this scale of writing into the second half of his career ('I'm Your Man' and 'The Future' were no doubt influential to Bob). In Cohen's case, he actually came into his sound so much more with these later records as far as I'm concerned (loved 'Old Ideas' and 'You Want it Darker' too).