Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 19:21 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun August 13th, 2017, 19:19 GMT 

Location: I've just reached a place where the willow don't bend...
kaleidosc0pe wrote:
Maybe... I hope there'll be another one but.. I wouldn't be that disappointed if Tempest happens to be his last album. I personally thinks it is a strong album, Long and Wasted Years is one of my all-time favorites.

This, exactly.

If Tempest does happen to be Bob's final original hurrah, then it won't be a bad way to go out. In my mind that record's something of a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Mon August 14th, 2017, 03:39 GMT 

frenchdog wrote:
There's got to be another album.

I wish...

frenchdog wrote:
Would be so interesting if he continues the vibe of the last few albums but with originals

Do you want I hang myself?

PostPosted: Wed August 16th, 2017, 07:58 GMT 

Tempest is a wonderful work and I doubt he'll top it but I would still love to hear one last original work with that deliciously smoothed out vocal he's found since Fall 2013 to the present.

PostPosted: Wed August 16th, 2017, 09:05 GMT 

to answer the original question:

It was not supposed to.

But with all that has happened afterwards, now I sincerely hope it was.
Unless he has a better album in his blood - Tempest is his best album since Infidels, in my book - but I strongly doubt he might, with the present soporific band and his present musical attitude.

PostPosted: Wed August 16th, 2017, 11:22 GMT 

what is his present musical attitude then?

He released some albums where he didnt write any songs on them... Hes got about 500 songs to appease his fans with.

PostPosted: Sun August 27th, 2017, 04:22 GMT 

interesting thread, especially in light of the fact that I just earlier tonight saw a production of Shakespeare's 'the tempest'. I certainly can see how thru modern eyes, Prospero can be thought of a stand in for the playwright at the end of his creative life.. and while I understand that back in WS's time this autobiographical focus was not there the way it is now.. there are still touches that call the audience's attention to the artifice of seeing a play in the first place. If i remember correctly, Prospero talks about the shipwreck as an almost theatrical illusion, and the the 'globe (name of the original theater!?) shall dissolve like an insubstantial pageant'... At the epilogue , he talks about basically letting himself (as one of the characters in a play) "live" only by a show of the audience's hands... and how art only lives thru the audience..

this may be a stretch, but I'm wondering if some of that 'let me tear back the stage curtain a little bit' feeling isn't echoed in the last song on tempest, that song about john lennon (and in some ways so much more). Gives me another reason to listen to that song again, too.

And on another note, to be honest, Tempest (the dylan album) is far from my favorite dylan album, I find it too coarse, too cold, and too obscure, with, dare i say it.. (to quote WS again in a different play) 'alot of sound and fury, signifying nothing'. That's not to indict the whole album, of course, and there are some great things, great moments, but I find myself rarely coming back to it. I hope its not his last album of originals. (and let me say just in conclusion that I've really enjoyed the last three 'sinatra cover' albums a great deal, unlike many here, it seems... and i really hope he can take some of the feeling and the harmonic and melodic sophistication of that group of songs and apply it to the next phase of originals... but who knows what'll come next? :)

PostPosted: Sun August 27th, 2017, 09:03 GMT 

MrJudasPriest wrote:
....but I would still love to hear one last original work with that deliciously smoothed out vocal he's found since Fall 2013 to the present.

one would be fine, two or three weren't bad either

PostPosted: Mon August 28th, 2017, 02:16 GMT 

I wouldn't be shocked if Tempest ended up being his last album of originals, but at the same time, he's currently churning out covers that he can record in his sleep and has had a lengthy stretch to work on new material. My hope is that he releases one last Titan of an album as a response to the sad, confusing time in which we live right now.

PostPosted: Thu August 31st, 2017, 23:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

There's a dylan podcast and in one particular episode they did Mississippi. The name of the podcast and podcasters escape my name. However, one of those host speculated that the wayfaring - road weary stranger of Time Out of Mind- Together Through Life meets his fate in Tempest. Then we had the jazz albums. I think when Bob comes back again, he'll be in a different form.

PostPosted: Fri September 1st, 2017, 19:09 GMT 

Dan posted the answer to this earlier in the thread with a direct quote
from Dylan when asked if Tempest was to be his final album;

'"Shakespeare's last play was called The Tempest. It wasn't called just plain Tempest. The name of my record is just plain Tempest. It's two different titles."

I don't know what that answer says to you, but to me, i do believe he's saying its not
designed to be his final album of original songs.
That said, the man is 76, and as morbid as some people may find this, we could lose
Dylan at any time. I personally think he'll tour until he can't physically do it anymore.
He's got a great band, so if he has the songs, i'm sure he'll do another album.
I'd love him to tackle the blues, not the acoustic style on World Gone Wrong, but
BB King style blues, covers of songs like Sonny Boys 'Help Me', or 'Little Red Rooster', 'The Thrill Is Gone',
those types of songs would suit his band and voice. Probably never happen, but id much
prefer that than this BOTT outtakes collection that lots of people keep saying they'd like
to see him release.