Previous 2017 shows:
28 Europe
21 North America
----
49 Total 2017

---
How many ways must a Dylan fan explain?
By: Alan Small

I'm going to see Bob Dylan perform live for the 35th and 36th times this week; it's tough to spell out... my rationale is blowin' in the wind
Trying to pin down the reasons why Bob Dylan's fans attend his concerts over and over is as complicated as the man himself.

I’ve paid to see Bob Dylan perform live 34 times and most people I know think I’m nuts.

That hasn’t stopped me from plunking down some more dough to see and hear the songwriting master for a 35th time when he returns to Winnipeg Wednesday night. Or from taking a weekend sojourn to, of all places, Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, to see and hear him again on Saturday as he continues his cross-Canada tour.

Have I received some sort of psychic "transmission" from Dylan much like the one he says he received from Buddy Holly when watching a show just days before Holly’s tragic airplane crash in 1959? Yes and no; I’ve felt his presence and I’ve felt his wisdom, but we all know that good pieces of wisdom are not always good to hear.

I also admit, deep down, I feel some weird pleasure that I get something out of these concerts that others don’t (or refuse to) understand. This is the very definition of a hobby; why do people collect model trains or stamps? Beats me.

While I’ve derived plenty of satisfaction from Dylan’s concerts, it was only when asked by a friend a couple of months ago about what to expect at Wednesday’s show did I realize how difficult it is to explain my fascination with the 76-year-old’s sometimes indecipherable singing "style" or occasional testy relationship with the people who pay to be in the seats.

Vast quantity of quality songs, some repurposed
First, of course, are all those songs he’s written and performed — and he’ll, by all accounts, sing another 20 or so at Bell MTS Place Wednesday.

The famous ones, such as Blowin’ in the Wind and Like a Rolling Stone, are obvious; almost everyone knows them.

But go down the list — I’ll use Rolling Stone’s here; the magazine reveres Dylan like no other publication — to Girl From the North Country, which sits No. 30 or Hurricane, at No. 39 and you get an idea the vast quantity of his quality songs. It’s a very short list of people who have a memorable 39th of anything.

But there is no debate that he is a polarizing figure. Early in his career he turned off many of his most ardent fans when he rejected the notion that he was a voice of a generation.

He alienated another core group of his supporters by going electric in 1965, with folkie legend Pete Seeger reportedly wanting to take an axe to the Newport Folk Festival sound system.

In the 1970s, Dylan left even more people scratching their heads during his born-again phase, when he stopped singing his classics for a time in favour of Christian-focused songs such as Gotta Serve Somebody.

He’s done something similar in the last few years by sprinkling in standards popularized by Frank Sinatra during the 1930s, ‘40s and ‘50s into his set-lists; fans hoping to hear memorable Dylan songs such as Tangled Up in Blue or Simple Twist of Fate can — and do — leave shows feeling frustrated when he performs old-timey tunes such as Stormy Weather or Melancholy Mood instead.

But his latest album of these standards, 2016’s Triplicate, was well received.

Dylan’s elusive and secretive character bothers people and fascinates others. Many still grumble about his Nobel Prize for Literature in 2016 and the way he accepted it; declining to attend the awards gala in Stockholm in favour of a small, private gathering while he was touring Europe much later. His Nobel lecture raised further hackles when some critics say portions of it were lifted from the Internet.

Finally, his concerts have split the music community for many years. There are plenty of fans who enjoy hearing a new twist on an old song — Dylan has changed arrangements and even the lyrics of his songs during his career — but others get upset with his constant re-imagining and repurposing of his hits to the point that the concert becomes a "Name That Tune" experience.

A colleague of mine was so flustered by going to a Dylan concert in Winnipeg that he stormed out midway through and went home to listen to his Dylan records to "hear his songs played the way they were supposed to be played."

And for some reason there are fans who feel they must be acknowledged by the performer between songs. Seldom are these moments spontaneous and Dylan recognizes this. When he speaks during a concert — and these days that’s a rarity — it’s such a big deal it merits a mention in the media. He doesn’t waste his words.

Reflects cruelty of life
When I attended Dauphin’s Countryfest earlier this month, watching Keith Urban, and watching the fans watch Keith Urban, I realized the pure escapism that a great concert provides. Your worries wash away as you get wrapped up in the moment. It’s a great feeling, and one that keeps people paying big bucks to attend shows.

Most singers, Urban included, sing about what we all hope life will become — your love is by your side, you’re both enjoying a memorable moment together and everything in your life is great. Pass me a beer, would ya?

But we all know life isn’t like that. Dylan even wrote a song about it — Life is Hard.

Bob Dylan gestures during a news conference in Paris, France in 1966. Dylan won the 2016 Nobel Prize in literature on Thursday, Oct. 13, 2016, a stunning announcement that for the first time bestowed the prestigious award on a musician for "having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition." (Pierre Godot / The Associated Press files)
Bob Dylan gestures during a news conference in Paris, France in 1966. Dylan won the 2016 Nobel Prize in literature on Thursday, Oct. 13, 2016, a stunning announcement that for the first time bestowed the prestigious award on a musician for "having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition." (Pierre Godot / The Associated Press files)
Sure, he has his love songs — he wrote Make You Feel My Love and still sings it on occasion even though it’s mostly associated with Adele these days — but Dylan doesn’t let you escape reality when you watch him perform live.

He shoves it right in your face with songs such as 2012’s Pay in Blood —
"Low cards are what I’ve got / But I’ll play this hand whether I like it or not / I’m sworn to uphold the laws of God / You could put me out in front of a firing squad."

So many of his songs reflect the cruelty of life — relationships gone wrong, the depravity of society and the ravages of aging.

Heck, we’ve all seen him age; compare a photo of Dylan in the 1960s compared with one today and you’ll see a stark reminder of time. It’s all so startling.

So despite all the naysayers who’ve turned their backs on Dylan and his concerts — he sometimes turns his back on the fans while performing — I’m facing the music once again.

I’m ready to be startled.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-a ... 57573.html

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 19:12 GMT 
Promethium Member

It's hard to imagine even super-jaded, been all around this world Bob Dylan not being ticked to find himself performing in a place called Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan - so I think there will be something special about this performance.

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 22:02 GMT 

I have never been there, but it must be something special about that place....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LLdBMAxmR4

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 22:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

Moose Jaw!! Ya gotta have a good time in Moose Jaw. Anybody going to this one?

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 22:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

Oh, Jawbone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IF13JxXvGI

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 22:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

Trying & failing to imagine having a good time in a moose jaw.

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 22:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

A few Moosehead beers might be required first

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 23:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

Do you know how to tell if someone likes Moosehead?

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 23:37 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:

how ? :?

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 00:20 GMT 

I hope to never find out.

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 01:04 GMT 

A smile?
Hearing the best cowpunchin' prize getting sweetheart poet i ever seen still there serenading the lands under an open sky in a beautiful setting would surely grab one out a ya. A place at the top of a mountain , like Finkenstein :lol: sorry the name, would be a good summer venue for him to bring back shooting star , but alas tonights indoors, so a meteor shower of top shelf tunes raining out of great work will have to suffice :)
Jealous! but have fun you lucky goers!!!

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 01:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

kaleidosc0pe wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:

how ? :?

Antler marks on the hips.

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 03:21 GMT 

That could have gone one of two ways.

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 03:27 GMT 
Promethium Member

smoke wrote:
It's hard to imagine even super-jaded, been all around this world Bob Dylan not being ticked to find himself performing in a place called Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan - so I think there will be something special about this performance.

ETA: meant tickled not ticked.

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 06:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

wow how cool prairie for miles

PostPosted: Sat July 15th, 2017, 07:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

Barefoot, anybody?

what do' it mean billie jean

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWjt8T6lNcu/
timonm
Wishing I was going to be here long enough to catch the summer concerts with great classical music, #pattysmith, #bobdylan and more coming up

http://www.wallofsoundgallery.com/en/about.php

PostPosted: Sat July 15th, 2017, 07:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:

If they're a sadist?

PostPosted: Sat July 15th, 2017, 07:46 GMT 

smoke wrote:

If I'd get a penny for every time someone says "This one will be special"...

For all we know, Bob doesn't even know here he'll be. For example: There's a Festival here in Germany that bands repeatedly have called their "Cologne show", simply because they stay overnight in Cologne, even though the festival takes places 70 miles south of the city.

PostPosted: Sat July 15th, 2017, 07:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

sure hope that italy show ain't no phantom, barrrolllo

that winnipeg tape is real chill if anyone's interested,
once upon a time is orchestrated and executed with suberb calculus,
gives tangled after it new planes

winnipeg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-IKY14weAA

PostPosted: Sat July 15th, 2017, 15:09 GMT 

Hope all the moose in the area enjoy this show, yes Sir!

PostPosted: Sat July 15th, 2017, 17:06 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
Hope all the moose in the area enjoy this show, yes Sir!

My friend's daughter had a shepherd. And each time they played any Bob Dylan songs the dog started to sing along. It was hilarious. The dog never sung to any other tune. Only Bob's. Strange things happens!!

PostPosted: Sun July 16th, 2017, 01:18 GMT 

I am having a premonition that he is doing a Lightfoot cover tonight :idea: :shock: :idea: :shock:

PostPosted: Sun July 16th, 2017, 04:15 GMT 

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Mosaic Place
July 15, 2017

1. Things Have Changed
2. Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right
3. Highway 61 Revisited
4. Why Try To Change Me Now
5. Summer Days)
6. Make You Feel My Love
7. Duquesne Whistle
8. Melancholy Mood
9. Stormy Weather
10 Pay In Blood
11. Once Upon A Time
12. Tangled Up In Blue
13. Early Roman Kings
14. Desolation Row
15. Soon After Midnight
16. That Old Black Magic
17. Long And Wasted Years
18. Autumn Leaves

(encore)
19. Blowin' In The Wind
20. Ballad Of A Thin Man

Thanks to Tim & Thomas for the email.

Set lists, reviews, and information on
upcoming concerts can be found on the Bob Links
Tour Infomation page located at:
http://www.boblinks.com

Bob Links Main Page:
http://www.boblinks.com

PostPosted: Sun July 16th, 2017, 05:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

thank you Bill Pagel
& Tom & Tina :)

PostPosted: Tue July 18th, 2017, 18:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thanks for the setlist.
And my apologies, there were only two appropriate beers for this show:
Here's one:

http://www.theonlineoffy.co.uk/wp-conte ... 10x600.jpg

Or:

http://bigskybrew.com/wp-content/upload ... _BTL16.png

Weather appropriate is an extremely important criterion out west!