Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun November 19th, 2017, 17:26 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Suggestions
PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 17:09 GMT 

This forum is quite boring. Part of that is due to the draconian and overbearing moderating style, which stands at odds with the subject, Bob Dylan. The vibe of Meek & Mild Europeans permeates this place.

Post subject: Re: Suggestions
PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 17:28 GMT 
Mercury Member

I have a suggestion for you, but I'm too polite and European to post it here.

PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 17:34 GMT 

My god, what a wanker. 'permeates', eh? Nothing more boring than a pretentious twat, mate. Why not bugger off and be interesting somewhere else?

PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 17:48 GMT 

"permeate" was chosen for concision, not pretension. If I didn't use "permeate" - I'd have to use several words to convey the same meaning. I could've gone with "pervade" - is that less pretentious? That is my rule of thumb - if the word is used correctly and helps one use less words to mean the same thing, then it is not pretentious. And "permeate" is like a word you get on your school vocab list when you're 11 - so it's hardly that exotic. Gawd.

in any case, I was just trying to be helpful. The number one news link today was about how millennials think Bob Dylan is a cowboy TV character from the 1950s. So I thought maybe that keeping a message board in the style and tone of an collegiate dial-up bulletin board service circa 1993 could be self-defeating.

PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 17:52 GMT 

And just to be claro, I love Europe. I even watched that movie 'Europa Europa' twice.

PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 18:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

draconian and overbearing moderating style

What? Sounds like you're on some other board in some awful parallel universe, mate.

What is it they say?

PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 18:58 GMT 
Mercury Member

Fill yer hand, stranger. And then fill your boots - clearly you are not European, I'm gonna stick my neck out and take a wild guess that your are septic tank (a yank, a citizen of the United States) - am I right?

PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 21:39 GMT 

I should've omitted the anthropological conjecture about Europe. I love Bavaria this time of year. My complaint was based on the fact that I've had many innocuous posts (that seem within the rules as outlined by the Terms of Service) deleted by some alien force. I then surmised that similar treatment must've befallen other users, and then deduced that such heavy-handed intrusions are, in fact, impeding forum traffic/usage, and thereby are functioning as a deterrent to the propagation of the Dylanological, which must be counter to the aims of such a website. I mean, really, if discussions of Azerbaijani singer-songwriter Emin Agalarov are forbidden in the "Other Artists" section - how can a message board be said to be operating in good faith?

PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 22:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

slimtimslide wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Your Agalarov thread must have been troll-ish in some way, the mods here are very good and decent types. You really should make a full and sincere apology.

PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 22:12 GMT 
Mercury Member

smoke wrote:
slimtimslide wrote:

Your Agalarov thread must have been troll-ish in some way, the mods here are very good and decent types. You really should make a full and sincere apology.

I think this is a job for our Senior Contributor, if he is around. He could perhaps spare a minute from his busy schedule of being suave and virile, ask his posse of ladies to step aside for a few moments, and proffer advise, wisdom, and also command respect. Thickboy, we need you!

PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 22:15 GMT 
Mercury Member

Why can't I post a photo here? The option isn't available - weird.

I felt a photo of an exotic cheeseboard would be just the ticket right now; the kind one suspects TRUMP and his close friend Emin Agalarov might enjoy together during negotiations. Oh well, you'll just have to imagine one.

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 09:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

Wbw - to be serious for a mo. The mods here are not as you suggest. Invariably fair, generally non-interventional and will almost always explain why if they have to delete something.

So maybe some error at your end?

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 12:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

"a message board in the style and tone of an collegiate dial-up bulletin board service circa 1993"

That's the best description of ER I've ever read, and also exactly the reason why I love ER.

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 12:31 GMT 

I've not been following you too closely.

But if your posts have truly been innocuous then they are not being deleted by our mods.

Posts get deleted if they are overly vulgar or if they contain nasty personal attacks on other members. Neither of these are what I would consider innocuous.

So we apparently don't have all the information.

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 19:22 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:

Too funny, slimtim! :lol: :lol:

As to the thread opener's comments, if this is what you think about ER, go join the Steve Hoffman forums. After that this will seem like a hippie comune

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 19:48 GMT 

Speaking of which: I have noticed that here when you type some swearing the system automatically corrects it into a cross sign (bit meh if you ask me, but I can live with it). But: are there any rules against it? (cursing, that is). I got permanently banned without much of a warning from the Steve Hoffman forums for cursing repeatedly, or so I was told (though I suspect that starting a poll with a silly topic in which I mentioned the notoriously uptight site´s host name had something to do with it). My poor heart couldn´t bear being banned from yet another forum, so if this is an issue here too please let me know

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 21:59 GMT 

Keep the Fs and Cs and Ss and Ps to yourself and you'll probably do fine.

There's a list of rules somewhere. This isn't a child's forum but good manners are needed for participation.

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 22:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

wormington wrote:
Speaking of which: I have noticed that here when you type some swearing the system automatically corrects it into a cross sign (bit meh if you ask me, but I can live with it). But: are there any rules against it? (cursing, that is). I got permanently banned without much of a warning from the Steve Hoffman forums for cursing repeatedly, or so I was told (though I suspect that starting a poll with a silly topic in which I mentioned the notoriously uptight site´s host name had something to do with it). My poor heart couldn´t bear being banned from yet another forum, so if this is an issue here too please let me know

Fuck.

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 22:43 GMT 
Titanium Member

smoke wrote:
slimtimslide wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 23:37 GMT 
Mercury Member

gibsona07 wrote:
wormington wrote:

Fuck.

How'd you do that, Angus?! :shock: :shock: (ah, I think I see - different colours?)

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 23:45 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm magic. I possess certain powers.

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 23:50 GMT 
Mercury Member

Angus is allowed to do what he fucking wants because he is a god amongst men, The rest of us must restrain ourselves and be very goddam polite. Manners maketh the man/woman/hermaphrodite, not mannerisms.

Interestingly one must be careful what one says about cats too.

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 07:20 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
Keep the Fs and Cs and Ss and Ps to yourself and you'll probably do fine.

There's a list of rules somewhere. This isn't a child's forum but good manners are needed for participation.

I don´t consider myself to have bad manners, but sometimes a good dirty word escapes my lips or my fingers, not only when I´m mad, but when I´m over excited, which happens often when talking about music.
Whenever that happens, and it will, I hope my overwhelming humanness, bonhommie and overall respectful attitude will save me from being banned.
If it doesn´t, though, you can all s*ck my d*ck :lol:

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 20:26 GMT 

Xxxx xx xxxx xxx xxxxxx xxxx.

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 21:25 GMT 
Mercury Member

kuddukan wrote:
Xxxx xx xxxx xxx xxxxxx xxxx.

This is an outrage!

Mods!!!!