Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 12th, 2017, 10:18 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon July 3rd, 2017, 00:20 GMT 

So we (spouse and self) went through very thorough security and found our seats fairly high up but looking down on the stage, straight at Bob’s piano. We had binoculars, which were used throughout the show.

My other half's main interest was actually in Bob’s band and she spent most of the concert watching the band members watching Bob. Her favourite numbers were Highway 61, Make you Feel my Love, Tangled up in Blue, Desolation Row, Long and Wasted Years, Autumn Leaves, Blowin in the Wind and Ballad of a Thin Man, mainly because these are the ones she was most familiar with. As you will see they are all on my list too!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bell centre went black about 4 minutes past 8, causing crowd noise to increase, and we heard guitar music, creating more noise. As the Montreal Gazette review, said, you could detect traces of “Wild Mountain Thyme”.

In the darkness you could make out shadowy figures emerging from the back stage right (even more noise and whistles too) and one of them was in a white jacket! Lights came up and there they were, with a hatless curly light brown-haired Bob behind the piano, feet splayed apart. I choked up. The guitar music merged into the opening cords of “Things have changed”.

1. See three photos found on the internet.
2. Here is the set list. I give brief comments about each number.

General:
The band was LOUD. They really rocked. On some numbers, this meant that Bob’s voice was lower in the mix than I would have liked. My observations about sound may also be a function of the Bell Centre itself, which is not acoustically friendly, and/or our location.

Montreal, Quebec
Centre Bell
June 30, 2017

1. Things Have Changed (Bob on piano, Donnie on pedal steel)
[The music was great, but Bob’s voice was a bit low on this one.

2. Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right (Bob on piano, Donnie on lap steel,
Stu on acoustic guitar, Tony on standup bass)
Same point, but Bob’s words were clearer here.

3. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on piano, Donnie on lap steel)
Same again, but this rocked. When he sang “Highway 61”, the crowd went wild.

4. Why Try To Change Me Now (Bob center stage, Donnie on pedal steel,
Tony on standup bass)
Better voice, perhaps because the song was slower and band was quieter. Bob expressed himself in body as well as in voice!

5. Summer Days (Bob on piano, Donnie on violin, Stu on acoustic guitar)
I found this to be quite mushy and although from the intro I knew it was Summer Days it was hard to tell during the song. My least favourite of the night.

6. Make You Feel My Love (Bob on piano, Donnie on pedal steel,
Stu on acoustic guitar)
This was great! Bob sang it well and the band were glued to him. Simply beautiful.

7. Duquesne Whistle (Bob on piano, Donnie on lap steel,Tony on standup bass)
This was great. Really sharp, precise band and singing.

8. Melancholy Mood (Bob center stage, Donnie on pedal steel, Tony on standup bass)
Almost the same as #4. Another traditional cover from his recent releases. Smooth.

9. Stormy Weather (Bob on piano, Donnie on pedal steel, Tony on standup bass)
Second least favourite. Bob was harder to make out here.

10 Pay In Blood (Bob on piano, Donnie on pedal steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)
They really punched this out! Great rhythm.

11. Once Upon A Time (Bob on piano, Donnie on pedal steel, Tony on standup bass)
Very melodic on this old tune with Bob really crooning.

12. Tangled Up In Blue (Bob on piano, Donnie on pedal steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)
With band louder again, Bob was a tad low on the mix. Crowd went wild at the “Tangled” line.

13. Early Roman Kings (Bob on piano, Donnie on lap steel, Tony on standup bass)
Great rhythm on this one. Bob spat it out.

14. Desolation Row (Bob on piano, Donnie on electric mandolin, Tony on standup bass)
This was wonderful! Band was a bit lower, allowing Bob to really tell us this classic “story”.#5 for me.

15. Soon After Midnight (Bob on piano, Donnie on lap steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)
Great delivery. Smooth. Was he grinning when singing “I would make love to a bitch or a hag.”?#4 for me.

16. That Old Black Magic (Bob center stage, Donnie on pedal steel,
Smooth, although Bob’s voice could have been more upfront.

17. Long And Wasted Years (Bob center stage, Donnie on pedal steel,
Stu on acoustic guitar, Tony on standup bass)
FANTASTIC!!!!! Bob really sang/spoke this clearly and with passion. Second favourite for me.

18. Autumn Leaves (Bob center stage, Donnie on pedal steel, Tony on standup bass)
More than fantastic. Beautiful delivery. Great singing. MY FAVOURITE PERFORMANCE of the night.

(encore)

19. Blowin' In The Wind (Bob on piano, Donnie on violin, Stu on acoustic guitar,
Tony on standup bass)
#3 favourite. Bob has reworked the melody from the original and I really like the way he does this now. Clear. Band was really smooth behind him.

20. Ballad Of A Thin Man (Bob on piano, Donnie on lap steel)
#3 equal.WOW! I remember this from Glasgow in 1966 and it was great to hear it again. The crowd loved it too. He really had us in the palm of this hand throughout and especially when asking “You don’t know what is happening here, do you, Mister Jones?”

Overall
Bob’s voice was powerful and deep. Yes, it is craggy and cracked now, but he can still hold a note if he wants to and he expresses himself in his phraseology. He is constantly telling a story. His piano playing was a great vamp, especially on the fast rocking numbers.

Bottom line: What an experience to see and hear this man still doing HIS thing after 55 years performing. “Blowin in the Wind”, rearranged, still makes its point as it did back in the 60s. “Long and Wasted Years” bookends it. This song is perfectly suited to his current voice and his delivery of the message is perfect.

They took their stand at the end and then drifted off into the darkness stage left, the white suit disappearing behind the curtain......

I could still hear that powerful voice and loud band in my head one day later.

PostPosted: Mon July 3rd, 2017, 00:36 GMT 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I was there as well, I spoke about my night in another topic. Show was exceptional, great, memorable. Bob sounded fantastic and you are right, his band is amazing.

**Is it possible to merge this post with the other topic about the show?**

PostPosted: Mon July 3rd, 2017, 00:41 GMT 

Thanks for your response. I was aware of the other link but started this one because my review was long. But if it can be merged I have no objection!

Glad you enjoyed Bob. May I ask where you were sitting?

PostPosted: Mon July 3rd, 2017, 00:51 GMT 

40plusdylanyears wrote:
Thanks for your response. I was aware of the other link but started this one because my review was long. But if it can be merged I have no objection!

Glad you enjoyed Bob. May I ask where you were sitting?

First row, in front of his piano. I had the time of my life!

PostPosted: Mon July 3rd, 2017, 00:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thank you for the review! A long and thorough one such as this is worthy of its own thread.
Glad you had a great time!

PostPosted: Mon July 3rd, 2017, 00:54 GMT 

Long and Wasted years was also one of my highlights of the night. Brought tears to my eyes.