Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 18th, 2017, 08:04 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu June 29th, 2017, 04:01 GMT 

Announcement on Friday? Itunes store updates on Fridays so it would make more sense than Thursday. Maybe I'm just being optimistic

PostPosted: Thu June 29th, 2017, 13:07 GMT 

Interesting info, thanks.

Let's review:

- three days seems short for full album sessions, covers and espcially originals, even for Dylan's standards.
- considering this, when's the last time an album of his did not come from one single session? (Nothing post 1988 comes to mind?)
- when's the last time he recorded a full album outside the US, if ever?
- flying in American personnel doesn't mean much. The band members live in different cities all over the US. So to round them up during a tour break to record, say, in L.A. might be logistally more challenging than to fly in an engineer or piano player from the US to Dublin.
- Filimg/recording a cover for a tribute or something sounds very plausible. Multiple songs might suggest that he did a bunch of them in one go - like he did at Ardent in (I believe) 1994, when he also spent several days just doing covers for tributes. Some of them remian uneleased to this day. They might also just have warmed up worth a bunch of songs before they did the one they came in for. (Considering that for all we know Dylan always records live, it would be difficult to make a distinction between a rehearsal and a recording.)
- Didn't he haave a session in Ireland after a 2005 tour as well, where he fly in an engineer from the US and in the end they only didn one cover which wasn't even used to for trubute album it was intended for?

Would Love to be proved wrong, but I wouldn't read too much into this.

PostPosted: Thu June 29th, 2017, 13:12 GMT 
Promethium Member

A tribute project does seem the most likely scenario.

PostPosted: Thu June 29th, 2017, 14:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

He spent that day while on the road in an old theatre for the Bennett tribute last year. Seems a similar scenario to this.

PostPosted: Thu June 29th, 2017, 16:19 GMT 

Leonard Cohen deserves a memorial tribute telecast, don't ya think? And 2017 Bob could do a dandy version of The Future...

PostPosted: Thu June 29th, 2017, 16:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

Unless...

There's a new original album already in the can and they went in strictly to do video work on one or more songs. A fella can dream...

PostPosted: Thu June 29th, 2017, 17:38 GMT 

If you knew what you were recording as if maybe you had rehearsed what you were going to record on the road covers or originals you could record an album in three days couldnt you?

But the idea of Bob having cameras in those sessions makes you question the album idea.

PostPosted: Thu June 29th, 2017, 18:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

Desolation Row wrote:
If you knew what you were recording as if maybe you had rehearsed what you were going to record on the road covers or originals you could record an album in three days couldnt you?

But the idea of Bob having cameras in those sessions makes you question the album idea.

It was even a push for Bob recording an album in three days in 1964, and that was just with guitar vocals and a four track. There's absolutely no way you could record an album in three days today. It'd take that long for the engineer to find the right drum sound.

PostPosted: Thu June 29th, 2017, 18:33 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Desolation Row wrote:

It was even a push for Bob recording an album in three days in 1964, and that was just with guitar vocals and a four track. There's absolutely no way you could record an album in three days today. It'd take that long for the engineer to find the right drum sound.

Party poopers...

PostPosted: Thu June 29th, 2017, 19:29 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
He spent that day while on the road in an old theatre for the Bennett tribute last year. Seems a similar scenario to this.
I'm inclined to go with the promo video angle, mainly because of the presence of John Hillcoat, an experienced feature film and high-end music video maker. Can't imagine him being brought in for a tribute recording. Maybe, of course, I'm wrong. Having said that, my friend told me there were no fictionalised 'scenes' or whatever, just straight video recordings of Dylan and musicians performing the songs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hillcoat

PostPosted: Thu June 29th, 2017, 20:24 GMT 

Just to say, isn't it possible that the album is in the can and Bob was doing a performance video to promote it?

PostPosted: Thu June 29th, 2017, 20:33 GMT 

Jelly Roll wrote:
Just to say, isn't it possible that the album is in the can and Bob was doing a performance video to promote it?
That's very possible, but...why so many songs and why step in to instruct musicians on parts if they had already recorded an album? Mind still boggles. Hopefully, we will find out soon :-)

PostPosted: Thu June 29th, 2017, 21:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

shipcomesin wrote:
gibsona07 wrote:
...my friend told me there were no fictionalised 'scenes' or whatever, just straight video recordings of Dylan and musicians performing the songs.

Your friend still have that same job?

PostPosted: Thu June 29th, 2017, 21:45 GMT 

As it was filmed I assume they wore their stage gear?

PostPosted: Fri June 30th, 2017, 00:50 GMT 

If I recall correctly Dylan stated that the arrangements for Modern Times were worked out on the road, at sound checks and in other locations. He has been rumoured to be recording/ or planning to record for some time. Perhaps these sessions were the culmination of various on the road rehearsals, the studio could have been recommended by an Irish muso, maybe the guy from the Pogues. Probably added material for a covers album, or the next BS release, which was filmed as part of the package. I doubt it is a tribute thing, the Tony Bennett number took less than an afternoon - 3 days studio time hints at something important.

PostPosted: Fri June 30th, 2017, 00:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

the video company involved mostly films in high quality
live performances
for sitting on your couch and watching on your home's big screen.

hence bob directing musical traffic.

sex bomb for chicks this fall as this chick see it.
thanks band. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri June 30th, 2017, 07:32 GMT 

Huck27 wrote:
If I recall correctly Dylan stated that the arrangements for Modern Times were worked out on the road, at sound checks and in other locations. He has been rumoured to be recording/ or planning to record for some time. Perhaps these sessions were the culmination of various on the road rehearsals, the studio could have been recommended by an Irish muso, maybe the guy from the Pogues. Probably added material for a covers album, or the next BS release, which was filmed as part of the package. I doubt it is a tribute thing, the Tony Bennett number took less than an afternoon - 3 days studio time hints at something important.

Think he hired an old theatre for a few days in Poughkeepsie to work on the MT tracks before hitting the studio.

PostPosted: Fri June 30th, 2017, 10:21 GMT 

When did the Triplicate songs recorded? Seems Dylan had a recording session in december. Could he have been recording new originals in december and doing extra promo/dubs or a music video for this?

From a marketing stand it woul make sense to try to capitulate on the mainstream attention and raised public profile that Dylan has gotten from the Nobel award.

PostPosted: Fri June 30th, 2017, 11:04 GMT 

Triplicate was recorded in early 2016. Don't think there's any actual evidence he recorded anything in December.

PostPosted: Fri June 30th, 2017, 11:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

Evidence schevidence!!!

New album on the way - with long form video!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri June 30th, 2017, 15:37 GMT 

Maybe he recorded a new Super Bowl commercial.

PostPosted: Fri June 30th, 2017, 15:56 GMT 

Jordan wrote:

Were any Victoria's Secret models involved?

PostPosted: Fri June 30th, 2017, 16:02 GMT 

eltedioso wrote:
Jordan wrote:

Were any Victoria's Secret models involved?

I hope so, Bella and Gigi Hadid. :D

PostPosted: Fri June 30th, 2017, 17:23 GMT 

Jordan wrote:

featuring three dozen new songs????? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri June 30th, 2017, 18:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

smoke wrote:
Evidence schevidence!!!

New album on the way - with long form video!!!!!

Let's HOPE!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next