Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 18th, 2017, 22:33 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu June 22nd, 2017, 05:51 GMT 

Ron Wood has a place in Ireland, perhaps he was involved in some way. Dylan does visit there and apparently paints and walks with Wood (not at the same time). Perhaps he has a home there as he does in Scotland, and other places. If I recall correctly last time he was in Scotland or Ireland he hired a bagpipe player for some kind of recording. God knows what he is up to.

PostPosted: Thu June 22nd, 2017, 06:39 GMT 

3 days was enough to cut a full album for Bob back in the 60's but I'd be surprised if that was the case now. That said, maybe he had a lot of material rehearsed from sound checking on the tour and was ready to go? Probably wishful thinking on my part. If I had to put money on it, a full album is not what's happening.

Filming the sessions is most un Bob like - a thought: could it have been something to do with the Nobel lecture - incorporating performances -which he abandoned afterwards and went with the easy option of an audio file talk?

Recording straight after a leg finishes may be cost effective in terms of already having the band assembled etc but would there not be vocal concerns? He has stayed on in Ireland before (different studio) after the completion of a touring leg - Fall 05 when after a magnificent final gig in Dublin where he was in terrific vocal form, he went and recorded Can't Escape From You which appeared on TTS. His vocal sounds completely blown on that. Fingers crossed the same doesn't happen again here.

I appreciate your contact isn't a Bob fan so wouldn't know if they were originals but could you ask her one further question - were the songs generally short or did they seem lengthy at all? If the former, good chance we are talking more covers...

Praying for an album of new material but keeping expectations on that front down.

PostPosted: Thu June 22nd, 2017, 07:04 GMT 

In hindsight, the fact that "loads of songs" were performed and filmed for 3 days straight definitely doesn't strike me as relating to a music video for an upcoming album of originals. The more I think about it the more I'd say it's going to be straight-forward performances of covers, perhaps of old gospel songs to release side-by-side with the bootleg series or the release of an album of gospels; he discussed wanting to record a gospel album not so long ago.

PostPosted: Thu June 22nd, 2017, 08:40 GMT 

I'm getting too excited over this now... And I know I'll be dissapointed, but even so. Without hope we are nothing. What are the chances we will actually see this anytime soon? Or is this one of those projects Bob or the company set up and then put it in the vaults?

PostPosted: Thu June 22nd, 2017, 09:22 GMT 
Promethium Member

Do we know this isn't possibly just the LitNob speech? I mean, maybe he thought twice about sending the video, and just sent the audio...

PostPosted: Thu June 22nd, 2017, 09:25 GMT 

What oh what is the bobster up to? Excited!!

PostPosted: Thu June 22nd, 2017, 09:45 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Do we know this isn't possibly just the LitNob speech? I mean, maybe he thought twice about sending the video, and just sent the audio...

Oh, darnit. That's probably it.
I told myself I wouldn't get my hopes up for nothin' again. Guess I'm just a fool for love.

PostPosted: Thu June 22nd, 2017, 10:20 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

Oh, darnit. That's probably it.
I told myself I wouldn't get my hopes up for nothin' again. Guess I'm just a fool for love.

Officially it was recorded on June 4 in Los Angeles. But who knows...

PostPosted: Thu June 22nd, 2017, 11:16 GMT 

It was obviously more than the speech we heard as there were multiple band performances. Whatever it is, good news that it exists - apparently in audio and visual form - and fingers crossed it will see some form of release at some stage. If it's a film track(s) of some kind, then maybe sooner rather than later but if an album (fingers crossed but at just three days I doubt it), I'd say 2018 at the earliest.

PostPosted: Thu June 22nd, 2017, 11:29 GMT 

I don't think the sessions were intended for the Nobel Prize speech, for the simple reason that a film of an in-studio full-band performance would be considered potential Sony "product" and I don't think they would give away "product" to the Swedish Academy. I think the plan was always to record a spoken word piece like the one that was finally handed in (Alan Pasqua's story about recording the music fits in with the June 4 date for the recording of the Nobel Prize lecture).

My guesses about what was filmed/recorded in Dublin in May would be ...

A. Some sort of piece for television similar to the Tony Bennett film (in the past they usually did those kind of films in one day, though).
B. They simply wanted to document the current band in performance (albeit in the studio) for unspecified future use.
C. There will be a 2017 live album in early 2018 and they filmed material for 2 or 3 video clips intended for promoting the album (filming the actual shows would have been far more cost and time intensive, much more of a hassle and unnecessary for that purpose). It would make sense to film that sort of material hot on the heels of the tour, with everything still in place.

I am hoping for C.

PostPosted: Thu June 22nd, 2017, 12:25 GMT 

A 2017 live album? With accompanying music videos? I'd buy it, but doesn't seem like Bob.

PostPosted: Thu June 22nd, 2017, 14:11 GMT 

Mr Echo and Mr Priest I just wanted to add that I appreciate your input on this thread. I find your comments enlightening, as always!

I wondered what either of you thought if this was a possible studio audio setup as well? Or do you think this is strictly a video product based on the details provided?

PostPosted: Fri June 23rd, 2017, 19:55 GMT 

Both the Supper Club and the MTV Unplugged shows were recorded in two days.
The woman who leaked the information about the 2017 Ardmore Studios sessions is Daniel Lanois' girlfriend.
The final song Dylan recorded there was "My Way."

PostPosted: Fri June 23rd, 2017, 19:57 GMT 

Bloodworm Baltimore French Fry wrote:
The woman who leaked the information about the 2017 Ardmore Studios sessions is Daniel Lanois' girlfriend.

Kill me now.

PostPosted: Fri June 23rd, 2017, 20:41 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
Mr Echo and Mr Priest I just wanted to add that I appreciate your input on this thread. I find your comments enlightening, as always!

I wondered what either of you thought if this was a possible studio audio setup as well? Or do you think this is strictly a video product based on the details provided?

I'm sure that even though the facility is predominantly a film production and post production audio setup, I'd be surprised if it wasn't sufficiently equipped to record a studio album for someone like Bob and his band. However, and it's only a guess, I don't think that's what he was up to here although I dearly hope I'm wrong on that front. That said, is it possible he's recording an album in stages and this is only the start? Again, pure speculation on my part but I'd be very surprised if 3 days would be sufficient time to get an entire album down - even one of covers - but I'm no expert. Anyone know if there is a precedent for a recent album of his recorded at speed? CITH perhaps? Or come to think of it, maybe it's more accurate to suggest that was recorded while on speed...

PostPosted: Fri June 23rd, 2017, 21:04 GMT 

As someone who has liked and defended every bit of the 'Sinatra' period thus far, the idea of him recording My Way is not just a step too far, it's a swan dive off a precipice into an unfathomably dark abyss. He has shown impeccable taste in his choice of covers up to now, why he would want to sing that sentimental self-aggrandizing hogwash is beyond me. Really hope that bit turns out to be fake news.

PostPosted: Fri June 23rd, 2017, 21:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

20yearsofschooling wrote:
As someone who has liked and defended every bit of the 'Sinatra' period thus far, the idea of him recording My Way is not just a step too far, it's a swan dive off a precipice into an unfathomably dark abyss.

Well said.

PostPosted: Fri June 23rd, 2017, 21:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

The person who leaked the info was an acquaintance of ER poster shipcomesin. While that could be Lanois' girlfriend, I think it somewhat unlikely.

PostPosted: Fri June 23rd, 2017, 21:57 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:

The person who leaked the info was an acquaintance of ER poster shipcomesin. While that could be Lanois' girlfriend, I think it somewhat unlikely.

A troll post. We shouldn't get side tracked by this at all.

PostPosted: Fri June 23rd, 2017, 22:07 GMT 

Troll post.

PostPosted: Fri June 23rd, 2017, 22:13 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:

I think the presence of director John Hillcoat indicates that the focus was on producing audio-visual material maybe for (online) promotion of an upcoming live album recorded at the shows in April/May (especially at The Palladium). In that case I would expect the films to be short teasers/clips and maybe 2 full songs (visuals coming from Ardmore, audio from the tour and/or Ardmore), with the purpose being to show the band in action.

Last edited by My Echo, My Shadow And Me on Fri June 23rd, 2017, 22:41 GMT, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri June 23rd, 2017, 22:14 GMT 

Bag o'Shite - Bob Dylan's new 12 CD album of covers incoming.

PostPosted: Fri June 23rd, 2017, 22:15 GMT 

McG wrote:
Bag o'Shite - Bob Dylan's new 12 CD album of covers incoming.

Don't believe the trolls.

PostPosted: Fri June 23rd, 2017, 22:41 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
kuddukan wrote:

I think the presence of director John Hillcoat indicates that the focus was on producing audio-visual material maybe for (online) promotion of an upcoming live album recorded at the shows in April/May (especially at The Palladium). In that case I would expect the films to be short teasers/clips and maybe 2 full songs (visuals coming from Ardmore, audio from the tour and/or Ardmore), with the purpose being to show the band in action.

P.S.: This is the video John Hillcoat created for promotion of "The Cutting Edge" in 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG8Hi-fpyLI

Imagine something like that intercut with Ardmore footage of Dylan and his band and audio from the Palladium shows and you have a great video clip promoting a new live album ...

PostPosted: Sat June 24th, 2017, 00:28 GMT 

This is interesting, but my guess is that Bob likes Ireland and just decided to rent a place for rehearsels for the next tour - just a few weeks away. Maybe he had other plans just before the start of this tour. They have played a couple of "new" Sinatra songs so far on this tour and also some of his own songs that he has not played for awhile - like the new arrangement of Summer Days. I hope it is something more interesting, but I guess not. Only question mark is why he had to bring in some other people from US.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next