Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat December 16th, 2017, 15:05 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 14th, 2017, 11:28 GMT 

See, I found the barroom boogie blues rocker sound of 2007-2012 boring. The last 4 to 5 songs were always the same, Highway 61 Revisited was an excuse to waste time in the #9 slot, and he seemed to always open with Leopard Skin-Pill Box Hat which provided a suitable warm up. The #2 slot was normally reserved for a 60s acoustic era number, which he invariably massacred, seemingly for his own enjoyment.

The only issue is the lack of variety - but, remember, only numbers 5 through 7 and number 10 were designated as 'wild card' slots in the pre-2013 days. He'd VERY occasionally throw in rarity, but it was extremely uncommon for him to do so from 2007-2012.

I don't overly feel that things have turned all that bad with regards to Dylan's live show. I remember hearing the opening notes of Thunder on the Mountain and thinking - 'well, the show's over now, I've got to sit through the same old encores'. He virtually never mixed up the closing tracks, and the encore (if it existed) was normally predictable. His shows had been getting more predictable since 2005.

Regards enjoyment - the show I saw him at in 2009 featured a diverse set of songs which livened things, but the the show at Hammersmith in 2011 was miserable - an interminable version of Honest with Me, a completely boring Hard Rain and the last five tracks a write-off because I knew what was coming (he did actually throw in Jolene, but it was yet another blues rocker!). Some shows could feature three or maybe even four excuses for a jam - Levee, Rollin', Summer Days and Highway 61 - time wasting tracks, all the while he's eschewing the rest of his massive, brilliant catalogue.

I think that all that's really happened is that his Set has finally turned completely static after years of being on the edge of predictability. From 2006 or so, he has virtually completely ignored everything from the 80s, and almost everything from the 1970s, plus most of his pre-Time Out of Mind 90s material. He's still doing it now, but he has done for years.

He's been ignoring most of his own catalogue for over a decade now - in that regard things really haven't changed.

PostPosted: Sun May 14th, 2017, 14:20 GMT 

Oneofusmustknow wrote:
From 2006 or so, he has virtually completely ignored everything from the 80s, and almost everything from the 1970s, plus most of his pre-Time Out of Mind 90s material. He's still doing it now, but he has done for years.

He's been ignoring most of his own catalogue for over a decade now - in that regard things really haven't changed.

That's my complaint, too. Post-2005 I lost interest although I still attended some shows with low expectations. A couple decades went missing.

PostPosted: Wed June 14th, 2017, 15:26 GMT 

"Dylan does what he wants and if the fans don't like it, well, that's THEIR fault. Don't think twice, Dylan's always right."

This seems to sum up the mentality of that portion of Dylan fans who think that everything he does, from BLONDE ON BLONDE to a hissy bootleg tape of him croaking out a blues cover and forgetting half tbe lyrics, is of equal genius and importance. The same mentality goes for his live performances; they think every show is brillant, and if you disagree because you're tired of the repetitive arrangements (genetic blues sludge, weak country-rock, etc) and static setlists, then you "just don't get it".

If slavishly praising everything Dylan does with no sense of what separates the inspired from tbe insipid is what being a "fan" means, then I guess I'm not a fan.

PostPosted: Wed June 14th, 2017, 23:14 GMT 

Yellowgoat wrote:
Traditionally, it's fair to say, Bob Dylan does not look particularly happy in public.

Search for Bob Dylan on Google Images. How many photos are of him smiling?

he looks pretty happy on my avatar :lol:

I think the ''journalist'' described how a non-fan feels at a Bob Dylan concert. That's about it. I know I personally don't feel like that and I really don't care what people think. Sinatra Bob is better than no Bob, I can't afford 50 concerts a year so I don't get bored or whatever. I haven't seen him since 2008 and I am very excited to see him again in 16 days.
I've listened to full recent concerts on youtube and I am far from being disappointed. He sounds better than he did in 2006-07-08.