Go to main page
It is currently Fri October 20th, 2017, 05:15 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 13th, 2017, 23:05 GMT 

thanks to Ireland

PostPosted: Sat May 13th, 2017, 23:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

notdarkyet wrote:
After Bob walked onstage with his hat in his hand, he put it, top down, on the piano, and sang hatless until after "Stormy Weather". He took it off again for the formation after the concert was over.

Seven hatless formation shots are among the dozen Dublin pics which are now up on http://www.notdarkyet.org/dub17.html.

Thank you :)

PostPosted: Sun May 14th, 2017, 00:07 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Don't you wish they were close up and sharp.

nope

PostPosted: Sun May 14th, 2017, 01:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

Good job Dark.
Thanks for keeping things straight.

PostPosted: Sun May 14th, 2017, 13:29 GMT 

Everybody is talking about his hat - but nobody even mentionned the new ERK arrangement?! Weird...

PostPosted: Sun May 14th, 2017, 17:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

thinman2 wrote:
Everybody is talking about his hat - but nobody even mentionned the new ERK arrangement?! Weird...

Appreciate you pointing it out, oh, ThinOne. You know times are tough when hat talk is headlines.
ERK, crazily enough, is one of the live highlights of this Quaalude-Slow-Show trend over the years.
Haven't bothered downloading shows in quite some time due to same old, same old.
But, I am interested in a link or clip of the "new" arrangement, if anyone has it.

PostPosted: Sun May 14th, 2017, 19:46 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
..... I am interested in a link or clip of the "new" arrangement, if anyone has it.

I just stumbled on this link on youtube to ...

... Bob Dylan - Dublin, Ireland, 3Arena (11th May 2017) [Full Audio Concert]

https://youtu.be/inFCanpJp3Q?t=2s

ERK would start around 49:00

[one of the few surprises for me in both shows I have attended this year - Palladium II and Dublin - was that Dylan somehow succeeded to make even Tangled and ERK interesting again, the first two songs, which I would have booted from this identical set list and replace them with some songs I really like; ERK was interesting again already at the Palladium, but in Dublin the singing was different again, and the music seemed somehow deconstructed and reassembled]

PostPosted: Sun May 14th, 2017, 20:39 GMT 

thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 14th, 2017, 20:52 GMT 

I also just now discovered on youtube this nice and steady video of the final song of this European tour (including the hatless formation after)

[This also was the last song performed by a 75 year old Bob Dylan]

Ballad of a thin man - Bob Dylan - Dublin 2017

https://youtu.be/kvPiOKIU1Oo?t=1s

PostPosted: Sun May 14th, 2017, 21:25 GMT 

If others are interested in the nod the Pogues' "Fairytale of New York," it's at the beginning of "Desolation Row."

Big thanks to all who posted updates from the tour!

PostPosted: Mon May 15th, 2017, 08:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

deso row dublin is an anthem refound, outstanding

george and bob always spar on this and george kicks out even more of his march beat he has liked laying on deso, even more than wembley, then bob has found the perfect riff to intertwine inside it in dublin.

'fairytale' is a magic realist epic anthem like deso row, and deso row is an epic folk ballad anthem in a jean ritchie surreality - full circle. they refer to each other, this is why bob calls himself a teacher as i interpret it. tommy makem raises his glass.

i was going to mention this when in ERK the old louisiana blues riff that floats under many names that muddy waters also did - could be of a family reference, songs come in families, right, or fields as i call them

just as the riff in tangled this tour from lou reed may be because "sweet jane" is lou reed's tangled, time/perspective shifts being emphasized, NYC cubists those guys were at the time. :lol:

basically bob is pointing out that in use of his titular methods, that 'oh, and another thing' that without him, these songs could not have been created, because bob smashed the forms open.

long and wasted smashes the fifties' cultural politik paradigms like "picnic" represents, embraced musically in the cloak of john lee hooker's essence - and gives it back to hooker's favorite lost son as his own meaning. find your own meaning, that's why he leaves the crowd with it at the end.

PostPosted: Mon May 15th, 2017, 12:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

notdarkyet wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
..... I am interested in a link or clip of the "new" arrangement, if anyone has it.

[one of the few surprises for me in both shows I have attended this year - Palladium II and Dublin - was that Dylan somehow succeeded to make even Tangled and ERK interesting again, the first two songs, which I would have booted from this identical set list and replace them with some songs I really like; ERK was interesting again already at the Palladium, but in Dublin the singing was different again, and the music seemed somehow deconstructed and reassembled]

Thanks Dark!
Will try & give a listen tonight when I'm back.
Much appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon May 15th, 2017, 13:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

Front page has a letter to the editor complaining about what a terrible concert this really was. I couldn't read the whole thing without being logged in but at the top of the complaints was: "he didn't even say hello". I'm sorry if any of you were duped into thinking this was a good concert.

PostPosted: Mon May 15th, 2017, 14:39 GMT 

smoke wrote:
Front page has a letter to the editor complaining about what a terrible concert this really was. I couldn't read the whole thing without being logged in but at the top of the complaints was: "he didn't even say hello". I'm sorry if any of you were duped into thinking this was a good concert.

Sounds about right.

PostPosted: Mon May 15th, 2017, 15:13 GMT 

notdarkyet wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:

Think this YouTube stream seems to be from a superior (uncredited?) recording source

https://youtu.be/Iat_gjO7l00

PostPosted: Mon May 15th, 2017, 16:22 GMT 

That youtube link is labelled wrong. Its not the Dubin show. ERK is played in different keys on the two you tube clips.

I checked Wembley and it was played in the same key as the other nights. So yes Dublin is a new arrangement and it even has a piano break! Or maybe just a one off. They did similar at the second Copenhagen showhttps://youtu.be/Zh3IW7JhkQs?t=55m7s Maybe its inspired by that.

PostPosted: Mon May 15th, 2017, 17:22 GMT 

Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
That youtube link is labelled wrong. Its not the Dublin show. ERK is played in different keys on the two you tube clips .....

just to clarify, only the second youtube link is incorrect, the one I had found and posted yesterday is Dublin

PostPosted: Mon May 15th, 2017, 18:12 GMT 

Sorry for the mis-steer, you're quite right. On closer inspection, definitely not Dublin. Delicious recording though, would love to know what show and taper as definitely worth tracking down. It's pre Glasgow as Love Sick isn't done at the piano; Tangled is pre electric injection (did that start in Nottingham or just before?) and the presence of Stormy Weather means it post dates Amsterdam II. I do appreciate these YouTube streams but do wish they'd credit the taper (and label the show correctly of course). Still, really nice recording and would like to get my mits on it wherever it's from...

PostPosted: Mon May 15th, 2017, 19:19 GMT 

smoke wrote:

The letter also mentions that they left the stage after just 90 mins. Can anyone shed any light on who might have played the remainder of the show if not Dylan and his band?

PostPosted: Wed May 17th, 2017, 13:17 GMT 

There was subsequently a response to the letter in the same publication

http://m.independent.ie/opinion/letters ... 19682.html

PostPosted: Wed May 17th, 2017, 13:48 GMT 

MrJudasPriest wrote:

Right, which one of you weirdos wrote this?

PostPosted: Wed May 17th, 2017, 20:06 GMT 

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/1006949/pogues-legend-shane-macgowan-enjoys-late-night-get-together-with-fellow-music-icon-bob-dylan/

Pic in hotel with Pogues frontman Shane MacGowan

PostPosted: Thu May 18th, 2017, 03:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

hurling wrote:

Excellent! Thanks Hurling...

---

FAIRYTALE OF DUBLIN Pogues legend Shane MacGowan enjoys late-night get together with fellow music icon Bob Dylan
Dylan, 75, is a massive fan of the 59-year-old MacGowan and once booked the Rainy Night in Soho rockers to open for him on a North American tour in the late 1980s

EXCLUSIVE
By Barry Moran
17th May 2017, 7:27 am
Updated: 17th May 2017, 7:28 am

POGUES icon Shane MacGowan enjoyed a latenight knees-up with fellow songwriting legend Bob Dylan following his Dublin gig at the weekend.

Dylan, 75, is a massive fan of the 59-year-old MacGowan and once booked the Rainy Night in Soho rockers to open for him on a North American tour in the late 1980s.

<photo>
Dylan, right, spent the evening with Gearoid O'Leigh, Shane MacGowan and Joey Cashman

Bob famously hand-picked The Pogues for his tour after he was blown away by their 1988 album If I Should Fall From Grace With God.

And although the unlikely collaboration hit a bum note when Shane missed his flight and the entire tour, the mutual respect between the pair has endured.

Nobel Prize-winner Dylan thrilled his Irish fans with a two-hour set at Dublin’s 3Arena on Friday night and had his management get in touch with MacGowan.

Bob Dylan is a huge admirer of Shane’s early work
Shane’s long-time friend and manager Joey Cashman joined the lads for their jolly-up in the InterContinental Dublin (formerly the Four Seasons) on Sunday after twisting MacGowan’s arm into going.

Joey told the Irish Sun: “Bob was very keen to meet up with Shane when he was in Dublin and his people were on a fair bit trying to set it up. There’s a lot of respect there and Dylan was the one who booked the Pogues to open for him back in the day, even though Shane didn’t actually make it!

“I have a theory that Dylan didn’t realise Shane never made it out to the States because the band were so good without him.

“That tour was crazy and I became good friends with Dylan’s son Jesse along the way.

“Dylan had his people get in contact and Shane was reluctant because he wasn’t feeling well but then he decided he wanted to go, he couldn’t miss out on the chance.

“We went to the hotel and let reception know that Shane had arrived. Bob was downstairs within ten minutes.

“So we had a meal in his hotel on Sunday. It turned into a late one.”

The legendary singer-songwriters stayed up into the early hours discussing their storied careers and trading anecdotes.

Cashman recalled: “Dylan asked Shane how long it had taken to write Fairytale Of New York and Shane muttered, ‘Around 15 minutes’.

“Shane doesn’t really like people making a fuss over his songs, a lot of musicians are like that, but they were chatting away.

“They’re both very into their poetry. Dylan named himself after Dylan Thomas, which is why he spells it that way, so they were deep in conversation for ages.

“It was a fascinating evening and Shane really enjoyed it. The two lads were in top form. It was a once-in-a-lifetime kind of evening.”

PostPosted: Thu May 18th, 2017, 11:09 GMT 
Promethium Member

Oh, and just saw the interesting discussion about this over here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=90601

PostPosted: Thu May 18th, 2017, 17:30 GMT 

McG wrote:
MrJudasPriest wrote:

Right, which one of you weirdos wrote this?

It definitely was not me.