Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 11th, 2017, 09:35 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 10th, 2017, 13:13 GMT 

This was probably about as good of a Dylan show as you can hope for these days at a souless venue like WA.

Where I was sitting, back by the desk, the sound was actually quite clear although I agree with McG that the bass seemed to be quite low in the mix. Could definitely hear a LOT of Bob's piano and Charlie's guitar though with Donny's pedal steel and mini-rigs cutting through quite nicely. I thought the band was tight and full of dynamic shifts, as per usual.

Bob was wearing the boater hat and kept taking it off and putting it back on. From what I recall he was hatless for the majority of his piano songs.

The first part of the set, up through Why Try to Change Me Now, was the strongest portion for my money -
aside from BOATM at the end.

The versions of TUIB and Desolation Row from the 3rd night at the Palladium were FAR superior to last night's in both delivery and execution. In fact, Bob skipped the 2nd verse of TUIB completely and went right along into the third. In DR, we were treated to a repeat of the "Across the street they've nailed the curtains" verse which meant that we got to hear Bob sing "they're spoonfeeding Casanova" twice which, I suppose, I can't really complain about to be honest.

I actually think that he was really "into" both of those numbers and ended up losing his place (or something). You could tell that he was annoyed with himself about the repeated verse on DR once he realized what he'd done. In terms of skipping the verse on TUIB I'm pretty sure he still hasn't realized he did that and probably never well (or care). Anyway it makes for a nice anecdote.

I liked the gig. It was...fun? Where I was sitting people seemed to enjoy it at least and so did I. Other than the encores, the biggest round of applause was for Autumn Leaves, even before it was clear that it marked the end of the set. I can't say that I really understand that to be honest but to each their own.

BOATM really works for me as a closer but I'm surprised to find myself pining for AATW and LARS. Have I gone somewhat mad? Quite possibly.

PostPosted: Wed May 10th, 2017, 13:19 GMT 

Did anyone notice how much the posters were at last night's show. I bought a 'Modern Times' shirt (£25) and thought I saw a £15 price stapled next to a poster, surely that was the price for the programme, posters were only £10 at the other gigs!

PostPosted: Wed May 10th, 2017, 13:25 GMT 

seanbev1 wrote:
This was probably about as good of a Dylan show as you can hope for these days at a souless venue like WA.

The first part of the set, up through Why Try to Change Me Now, was the strongest portion for my money -
aside from BOATM at the end.

I totally agree, the first part of the set was really something - I thought it was all good up to Stormy Weather, that's when I started looking around the audience, thinking to my self 'shall I buy a drink or have a wee or both'? Thinking I didn't wish to disturb others I left that until Autumn Leaves had finished.

PostPosted: Wed May 10th, 2017, 13:32 GMT 

McG wrote:
- Wembley is a shit hole of a venue. As my mate said, it's like a demilitarized zone. Twenty quid for two pints of piss and a double scotch, cattle class plastic seats with less than zero elbow room, in a room with all the warmth and charm of Donald Trump and Theresa May on a blind date.
- We sat down on the floor, a few rows from the stage. Sound mix was weird, hardly any bass, all about the guitars, piano and Bob. Nice and crunchy for the rockier numbers, just plain bad for the slow ones and the covers. Compared to the comforting sympathetic sonics of RAH 2 years ago, this was troubling.
- First three songs were great, loved that 'Highway 61' in particular, but my attention span wore out quickly after that. It all became rote so quickly.
- The covers mostly come across as surreal comedy sketches, with the incredibly shrinking Bob (he seems to get smaller each time I see him) coming out front, doing his Thunderbirds-on-acid-meets-that-strange-pissed-bloke-singing-in-the-the-pub act to hilarious effect. Just plain mad and totally interrupts the flow of his own songs
- Tangled was pretty good in its new electrified arrangement, had a bit more attitude to it than before
- Desolation Row....first part great until Bob somehow locked into a brain breakingly naff up'n'down vocal mannerism that he mirrored on the piano, which continued to the end of the song as if he was one of those malfunctioning robots from Westworld.
- Band look utterly bored with the whole affair, like the core cast of a long running soap opera locked into a haunted compromise between money and art. It might have been the sound mix but they sounded sloppy and rigid, worse than any time I've seen them. I asked my mate what the opposite of 'swing' was. Apparently, it's 'ming'.
- Dylan's utter lack of engagement with the audience had me comparing him sadly to Cohen's latterday shows. This is the ultimate Shrodinger's Cat of a show, both happening and not existing at the same time.
- Had a nice burger in the pub beforehand.

Yeah the burger was pretty good.

I largely agreed with you analysis at the time and now, but I liked the covers somewhat better than you. Autumn Leaves gets me every time.

The whole show (with the possible exception of the new Tangled arrangement) was worse than Palladium #2. He seemed bored and his voice was relatively wasted.

You forgot to mention the complete burn-it-burn-it-now-with-fire abomination that was Spirit on the Water. Now I'm no fan of that song to begin with, but Jesus Wept he pissed all over it with totally random, embarrassing, pointless, piano 'playing' (which also did for much of Desolation row). I was holding my head in my hands by the end of it. He can't possibly think that sounds good. He's either taking the piss or has some weird mental tendency to get stuck in some sort of autistic loop. Awful. I joked to you at the time that he would be a better artist now if he had no fingers. Someone should really take the piano away from him. He's so much more interesting when he's up-front and centre, even if he's acting like the lovechild of Charles Aznavour and John Inman half the time.

PostPosted: Wed May 10th, 2017, 14:05 GMT 

Have to say I've been pretty disappointed in most of the boots I've heard from this tour. I really enjoyed the last show I saw in November (Jacksonville). I don't get why he's increasingly going to the piano on songs that work beautifully when he's not muddling up the band and is out front. His refusal to actually stand anywhere near out front is also comical. The singsong voice that's returning on Desolation ruins what could be a great arrangement. ERK also starting to devolve. Spirit always has been a truly dreadful song and why he continues to feature it is beyond anyone's comprehension. I'll be at the first couple of kickoff shows at the Capitol in a month. Really hoping (irrationally) that Bob has reached the end of this period and is a bit fresher on home soil for the summer.

PostPosted: Wed May 10th, 2017, 14:48 GMT 

Arkady wrote:
McG wrote:
- Wembley is a shit hole of a venue. As my mate said, it's like a demilitarized zone. Twenty quid for two pints of piss and a double scotch, cattle class plastic seats with less than zero elbow room, in a room with all the warmth and charm of Donald Trump and Theresa May on a blind date.
- We sat down on the floor, a few rows from the stage. Sound mix was weird, hardly any bass, all about the guitars, piano and Bob. Nice and crunchy for the rockier numbers, just plain bad for the slow ones and the covers. Compared to the comforting sympathetic sonics of RAH 2 years ago, this was troubling.
- First three songs were great, loved that 'Highway 61' in particular, but my attention span wore out quickly after that. It all became rote so quickly.
- The covers mostly come across as surreal comedy sketches, with the incredibly shrinking Bob (he seems to get smaller each time I see him) coming out front, doing his Thunderbirds-on-acid-meets-that-strange-pissed-bloke-singing-in-the-the-pub act to hilarious effect. Just plain mad and totally interrupts the flow of his own songs
- Tangled was pretty good in its new electrified arrangement, had a bit more attitude to it than before
- Desolation Row....first part great until Bob somehow locked into a brain breakingly naff up'n'down vocal mannerism that he mirrored on the piano, which continued to the end of the song as if he was one of those malfunctioning robots from Westworld.
- Band look utterly bored with the whole affair, like the core cast of a long running soap opera locked into a haunted compromise between money and art. It might have been the sound mix but they sounded sloppy and rigid, worse than any time I've seen them. I asked my mate what the opposite of 'swing' was. Apparently, it's 'ming'.
- Dylan's utter lack of engagement with the audience had me comparing him sadly to Cohen's latterday shows. This is the ultimate Shrodinger's Cat of a show, both happening and not existing at the same time.

I largely agreed with you analysis at the time and now, but I liked the covers somewhat better than you. Autumn Leaves gets me every time.

The whole show (with the possible exception of the new Tangled arrangement) was worse than Palladium #2. He seemed bored and his voice was relatively wasted.

You forgot to mention the complete burn-it-burn-it-now-with-fire abomination that was Spirit on the Water. Now I'm no fan of that song to begin with, but Jesus Wept he pissed all over it with totally random, embarrassing, pointless, piano 'playing' (which also did for much of Desolation row). I was holding my head in my hands by the end of it. He can't possibly think that sounds good. He's either taking the piss or has some weird mental tendency to get stuck in some sort of autistic loop. Awful. I joked to you at the time that he would be a better artist now if he had no fingers. Someone should really take the piano away from him. He's so much more interesting when he's up-front and centre, even if he's acting like the lovechild of Charles Aznavour and John Inman half the time.

Ah yes, Spirit In The Water. I wish I had taken a video of your reaction to that one - it would have kept me in memes for the rest of my godgiven.

I don't mind the song as much as you, but it's definitely got PISS BREAK written all over it. Unfortunately, I had already taken my cue as soon as Melancholy Mood started up. Suffice it to say though, after three pints and a double scotch, there was at least some spirit in my water at that point.

PostPosted: Wed May 10th, 2017, 14:54 GMT 

aberhwy61 wrote:
Have to say I've been pretty disappointed in most of the boots I've heard from this tour. I really enjoyed the last show I saw in November (Jacksonville). I don't get why he's increasingly going to the piano on songs that work beautifully when he's not muddling up the band and is out front. His refusal to actually stand anywhere near out front is also comical. The singsong voice that's returning on Desolation ruins what could be a great arrangement. ERK also starting to devolve. Spirit always has been a truly dreadful song and why he continues to feature it is beyond anyone's comprehension. I'll be at the first couple of kickoff shows at the Capitol in a month. Really hoping (irrationally) that Bob has reached the end of this period and is a bit fresher on home soil for the summer.

Actually I'm of the view that ERK is great in this arrangement - better than before. Everything else is worse than 2015, which was a tad worse than 2013 - which was a glorious, glorious year.

PostPosted: Wed May 10th, 2017, 14:56 GMT 

McG wrote:

Ah yes, Spirit In The Water. I wish I had taken a video of your reaction to that one - it would have kept me in memes for the rest of my godgiven.

I don't mind the song as much as you, but it's definitely got PISS BREAK written all over it. Unfortunately, I had already taken my cue as soon as Melancholy Mood started up. Suffice it to say though, after three pints and a double scotch, there was at least some spirit in my water at that point.

I'll re-enact it for you down the pub.

PostPosted: Wed May 10th, 2017, 17:39 GMT 

To my thinking, it doesn't really matter how well Dylan performs songs like 'Stormy Weather' or 'All or Nothing At All', just like it doesn't matter how well Jack Nicklaus plays tiddlywinks.

I'm happy enough to believe Nicklaus plays tiddlywinks brilliantly, but I'm not interested in watching.

PostPosted: Wed May 10th, 2017, 18:19 GMT 

I laughed out loud at that vocal mannerism in Desolation Row. And he'd already done the "Across the street they've nailed the curtains" verse twice. Oh, Bob.

Thinking about it, I had no problems with anything except the set list. A sprinkling of more pre-1997 material than at the RAH two years ago; but still over half the concert was made up of songs from Tempest and Sinatra period. I expect the latter; but some of those Tempest songs are getting pretty lumpen. I'd love to see him again when he's gone off that particular album.

PostPosted: Wed May 10th, 2017, 18:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

Arkady wrote:
McG wrote:

I like the Burger comments from you :)

PostPosted: Thu May 11th, 2017, 07:09 GMT 

Posters anyone? They seem to be going up faster than a bullet train!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu May 11th, 2017, 09:42 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
Posters anyone? They seem to be going up faster than a bullet train!

Terrible design work on those posters.

PostPosted: Thu May 11th, 2017, 21:50 GMT 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHFvZ1s9Kuo

Jesus, he's managed to ruin Love Sick by moving to piano and just destroying the ambiance with his clunky and dreadful playing. What the hell is he doing. Listening to these youtube clips posted today from Wembley. Depressing.