Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri December 15th, 2017, 10:25 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 02:54 GMT 

Any recordings floating around yet? I would love to hear This Nearly Was Mine

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 06:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

Paladin, Paladin, where do you roam
Paladin, Paladin, far, far from home

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 09:38 GMT 

These are some thoughts on the show last night in Glasgow.

Last night the old songs were fine. Heard better and certainly heard worse over the past 28 years of seeing Dylan around 36 times.

Some newish arrangements, added riffs and intros but not really anything new that hasn't been heard before over the past few years.

Dylan voice was clear and sounded good considering his age. Electronic trickery going on anywhere by any chance? The wolf voice wasn't anywhere to be heard and very few lines fluffed which made a change.

The sound in the Armadillo is excellent. No matter who you go to see its always good. Maybe next time he'll play at the concert hall in the city centre as that's even better. There was real clarity to the instrumets with the piano being covered up at times by Donny and Charlie. Really good mix.

The new stuff (the covers) that has people wetting their pants and gushing like schoolgirls gets the weakest response from the audience every single time.

Yes these songs may be Dylans latest trick but we've had many tricks over the years and the fact there's been nothing new from his pen in quite a few years is really what these covers highlight.

The only saving grace the covers have is that they are short enough to finish before you fall asleep. They certainly kill any momentum the setlist is building and pretty much kill any atmosphere stone dead every time.

Mate of mine with around 30 Dylan gigs going back to Earls Court in 1981 said, "with all the songs he's written over the years he plays these covers which are pretty crap really".

The band can turn their hand to any musical style easily and it shows. The greatest band of musicians Dylan has had since The Band and that came from another mate who has seen The Band.

Although we knew what he would do and paid for the tickets anyway it wasn't really a show to remember. The pretty much static setlist, the forgettable covers, the dodgy lighting pretty much adds up to the whole show is well past it's listen by date.

3 / 10

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 11:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

Sounds about right Skelters. Still worth attending though.
Good sound is always a plus.

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 11:19 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Will Andrew Muir/homerthes be gracing us with his presence? Always meant to buy him a pint so I could pay him back for the second hand copy of razor's edge I bought and bask in the wisdom of his superior Bob-knowledge.

Hi, thanks for the kind words though I would demur over "grace" and, especially, "superior". Nice of you, though.

That's me finished. Only the two London and Glasgow. Sigh. Not like the old days at all. Back to reality already.

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 11:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

That post came about after several pints and somebody reminding me what a great read razor's edge was. I then spent the next 24 hours worrying that it would look like I was stalking you. :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 11:22 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
I hear Andrea Orlandi was in attendance...

He certainly was. A lovely gent with a store of fabulous stories.

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 11:23 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
That post came about after several pints and somebody reminding me what a great read razor's edge was. I then spent the next 24 hours worrying that it would look like I was stalking you. :oops: :lol:

Hahaha. Well, worry no more. Lol. It would have been good to meet and say "hi" and tslk Bob. I did pretty well actually in seeing people old and new but it's just a matter of luck. I only met a few on the first Palladium night but loads on the Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 11:30 GMT 

[quote="skelters"].

"The only saving grace the covers have is that they are short enough to finish before you fall asleep. They certainly kill any momentum the setlist is building and pretty much kill any atmosphere stone dead every time.

Mate of mine with around 30 Dylan gigs going back to Earls Court in 1981 said, "with all the songs he's written over the years he plays these covers which are pretty crap"

... It is really interesting, how the Dylan-fanbase is divided. Pretending to feel the same but for sure this illusion depends on the point of view. I really could not disagree more to postings aus the one above. Respecting your point of view though. My Point of view: How I really feel sad for anybody here not appreciating one of Dylan's best tours ever. Because of the old songs AND these beautiful cover versions fitting perfectly this near perfect setlist.

Last edited by Hawkmoon on Mon May 8th, 2017, 11:34 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 11:32 GMT 

skelters wrote:
These are some thoughts on the show last night in Glasgow.

Last night the old songs were fine. Heard better and certainly heard worse over the past 28 years of seeing Dylan around 36 times.

Some newish arrangements, added riffs and intros but not really anything new that hasn't been heard before over the past few years.

Dylan voice was clear and sounded good considering his age. Electronic trickery going on anywhere by any chance? The wolf voice wasn't anywhere to be heard and very few lines fluffed which made a change.

The sound in the Armadillo is excellent. No matter who you go to see its always good. Maybe next time he'll play at the concert hall in the city centre as that's even better. There was real clarity to the instrumets with the piano being covered up at times by Donny and Charlie. Really good mix.

The new stuff (the covers) that has people wetting their pants and gushing like schoolgirls gets the weakest response from the audience every single time.

Yes these songs may be Dylans latest trick but we've had many tricks over the years and the fact there's been nothing new from his pen in quite a few years is really what these covers highlight.

The only saving grace the covers have is that they are short enough to finish before you fall asleep. They certainly kill any momentum the setlist is building and pretty much kill any atmosphere stone dead every time.

Mate of mine with around 30 Dylan gigs going back to Earls Court in 1981 said, "with all the songs he's written over the years he plays these covers which are pretty crap really".

The band can turn their hand to any musical style easily and it shows. The greatest band of musicians Dylan has had since The Band and that came from another mate who has seen The Band.

Although we knew what he would do and paid for the tickets anyway it wasn't really a show to remember. The pretty much static setlist, the forgettable covers, the dodgy lighting pretty much adds up to the whole show is well past it's listen by date.

3 / 10

Thanks for this review, clearly from a commentator with enough Dylan under his belt to take a rational view.

Although I was seriously tempted to grab a ticket at the last minute (I missed out when they went onsale) I didn't attend the show last night.

Missing a hometown show feels weird (and a bit disloyal!), but I just can't get behind this latest development in Dylan's career. There is absolutely none of the covers that I'd rather hear over a Dylan original, so it seems I made the correct decision.

After seeing him here 10 times since 1995, I just hope I didn't miss his final show in Glasgow ....

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 11:42 GMT 

Went to see Jerry Lee Lewis at the Armadillo about 18 months ago and he was 89 at the time.

By the look of the audience last night Dylan may outlive a large chunk of them!

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 11:52 GMT 

homerthes wrote:
gibsona07 wrote:
Will Andrew Muir/homerthes be gracing us with his presence? Always meant to buy him a pint so I could pay him back for the second hand copy of razor's edge I bought and bask in the wisdom of his superior Bob-knowledge.

Hi, thanks for the kind words though I would demur over "grace" and, especially, "superior". Nice of you, though.

That's me finished. Only the two London and Glasgow. Sigh. Not like the old days at all. Back to reality already.

How did Glasgow compare to London Homer?

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 12:57 GMT 

majortominor wrote:
Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
Found this on Instagram. Notice the setlist alternatives and some songs having more key options

It's funny that he calls BOTM "Mr. Jones."

BOTM has been referred to as "Mr. Jones" on the cue sheets at least since the mid 90s, see for example: http://www.boblinks.com/070196cs.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 13:54 GMT 

I say thank you Mr. Dylan for performing This Nearly Was Mine. The song may have fitted the set like a glove or been a horrendous cock-up. Never mind, a change is as good as a rest and it got me 10 points at the Pool. More!

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 14:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

skelters wrote:
Went to see Jerry Lee Lewis at the Armadillo about 18 months ago and he was 89 at the time.

By the look of the audience last night Dylan may outlive a large chunk of them!

:lol: This is how my sister felt when we saw Leonard on the 2012 Tour :)

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 17:48 GMT 

The Phantom Engineer wrote:
Although I was seriously tempted to grab a ticket at the last minute (I missed out when they went onsale) I didn't attend the show last night.

Missing a hometown show feels weird (and a bit disloyal!), but I just can't get behind this latest development in Dylan's career. There is absolutely none of the covers that I'd rather hear over a Dylan original, so it seems I made the correct decision.

After seeing him here 10 times since 1995, I just hope I didn't miss his final show in Glasgow ....

These words describe exactly my feelings. I always loved visiting at least one concert per year. But after my last two concerts in 2015 (Bamberg & Regensburg) I decided, not to visit a Bob Dylan concert again as long as he goes on

- playing more than three or four Sinatra songs per concert and
- playing the same Bob Dylan songs again and again.

Although I agree, that he sings very very smooth since at least 2013, I'm real bored of the SET and of the covers.
Sad (and maybe a bit disloyal for a die-hard fan) but true.

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 18:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

Disloyal? That goes both ways - Bob, too...

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 18:33 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:

You're right, Miss Parker.

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 18:48 GMT 

Atzmann wrote:

Thanks for this review, clearly from a commentator with enough Dylan under his belt to take a rational view.

These words describe exactly my feelings. I always loved visiting at least one concert per year. But after my last two concerts in 2015 (Bamberg & Regensburg) I decided, not to visit a Bob Dylan concert again as long as he goes on

Although I agree, that he sings very very smooth since at least 2013, I'm real bored of the SET and of the covers.

For those in particular who are bothered or discouraged by the covers, I'll point out that combined they take up a total of approximately 20 minutes of the show. The rest of the gig (80%+) is made up of "Bob Dylan songs".

Also worth pointing out: between 2003 and 2012 the setlists usually consisted of 14-17 songs. The current set is 21 songs. In other words, 15 Bob Dylan songs and an extra of 6 covers.

So "the covers" shouldn't be a particularly compelling reason not to attend (for those who are still deciding or being swayed).

Will this be the last Bob Dylan tour of the UK? Hopefully not; he still seems fit mentally and physically, and there has been no dramatic downturn in the quality of the performances. I can quite easily imagine him touring for another 5 years at least.

At the same time, (to take a "rational view", as The Phanton Engineer phrases it), Bob is already well over the life expectancy for an American who has smoked cigarettes his entire life. So don't miss the opportunity to go for stupid reasons, like being unwilling to tolerate 20 minutes of convincingly-performed cover songs.

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 19:01 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:

Artistically, Bob's only loyalty is to his muse, the same as it's always been. If there's a disconnect between that and what (some of) the audience wants, then that's just part of being a successful artist. It's what has allowed him to keep going for so long.

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 19:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

I hear he sold the muse on eBay a few years back.

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 19:44 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
I hear he sold the muse on eBay a few years back.

I remember you saying to me once that if Bob listened to his fans, followed their wishes, he'd be playing in coffee houses on his acoustic guitar. Instead, he did his own thing. And you were right. But how is this phase any different to the previous ones? I like some of them better than others, too.

And I do appreciate that it may seem like longer, but it's only been three years since we heard the first Sinatra recording. During which he has branched out into a style of music that was previously completely alien to him. So you can't really accuse him of taking the easiest route. "Bob Dyan does Frank Sinatra" was certainly an innovation, at least on the first record. Likewise for the change of approach to live performance.

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 20:07 GMT 
Promethium Member

Playing essentially the same deadlist for four years straight definitely seems more challenging on the regular tourgoer than on Bob.

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 20:33 GMT 

Yellowgoat wrote:

For those in particular who are bothered or discouraged by the covers, I'll point out that combined they take up a total of approximately 20 minutes of the show. The rest of the gig (80%+) is made up of "Bob Dylan songs".

Also worth pointing out: between 2003 and 2012 the setlists usually consisted of 14-17 songs. The current set is 21 songs. In other words, 15 Bob Dylan songs and an extra of 6 covers.

So "the covers" shouldn't be a particularly compelling reason not to attend (for those who are still deciding or being swayed).

Will this be the last Bob Dylan tour of the UK? Hopefully not; he still seems fit mentally and physically, and there has been no dramatic downturn in the quality of the performances. I can quite easily imagine him touring for another 5 years at least.

At the same time, (to take a "rational view", as The Phanton Engineer phrases it), Bob is already well over the life expectancy for an American who has smoked cigarettes his entire life. So don't miss the opportunity to go for stupid reasons, like being unwilling to tolerate 20 minutes of convincingly-performed cover songs.

All very valid points.

I have no issue with Bob playing covers - there are literally dozens of excellent examples either live or studio - but this musical style does nothing for me.

He's doing it for himself, as he always has and I'm good with that.

But, other than To Ramona, I've seen each of these tracks in concert before. It's still incredible to me that a back catalogue like his is generally ignored and something like Early Roman Kings keeps its place.

If the Dylan tracks rotated, there would be less issue with the set. But I'm not losing sleep over it.

Bob does his thing, some like it, some don't. Things have always been that way!

PostPosted: Mon May 8th, 2017, 20:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

Atzmann wrote:

https://youtu.be/O_4OfD-wmGs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next