Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 06:52 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Sun April 23rd, 2017, 06:45 GMT 

Resistance is useless. You know it, deep down.

Tempest strutted around with its lyrics 'n' all, but it croaked itself on a dry bread-crust of a vocal when it needed apple pie. Triplicate seduces with its vocal, as sweet as apple trees blossoming in the wind!

PostPosted: Mon April 24th, 2017, 13:03 GMT 

I have ordered it to reach the free shipping threshold when I needed a power cord for a laptop I plan to donate to charity. One power cord, one Triplicate, and Gary Brooker's latest which will probably be lousy but I'm too curious.

PostPosted: Mon April 24th, 2017, 15:12 GMT 

I really like the last three tracks. It feels like a great way to sum up the whole album.

PostPosted: Fri May 5th, 2017, 07:36 GMT 

Listen to discs one and two of Basement Tapes Complete followed by Triplicate and you'll see it just as a continuation of one particular side of Bob Dylan. Just imagine them as old folk songs or whatever and you'll hear the beauty. Really.

PostPosted: Fri May 5th, 2017, 08:08 GMT 

Foggy wrote:
Listen to discs one and two of Basement Tapes Complete followed by Triplicate and you'll see it just as a continuation of one particular side of Bob Dylan. Just imagine them as old folk songs or whatever and you'll hear the beauty. Really.

Insane comparison.

PostPosted: Fri May 5th, 2017, 08:19 GMT 

McG wrote:
Foggy wrote:

Insane comparison.

Why?

Posting such non-sequitors implies you are just blinkered for whatever reason. Based on pure defensiveness or bias or misplaced pride.

One day you will hear things differently, be assured. Just listen.

PS the good news is that you will feel very differently, but it may take quite a few years.

PostPosted: Fri May 5th, 2017, 09:08 GMT 

Foggy wrote:

Why?

Posting such non-sequitors implies you are just blinkered for whatever reason. Based on pure defensiveness or bias or misplaced pride.

One day you will hear things differently, be assured. Just listen.

PS the good news is that you will feel very differently, but it may take quite a few years.

The Sun will have consumed the Earth before I hear Triplicate as anything like in the same galaxy as the Basement Tapes. And even then it won't happen.

Sorry, you're utterly deluded. The only thing they have in common is a lot of the songs are covers. But even then. the BT's had some killer originals. And a bloke who at least could sing them in a way that puts a skip in your step rather than making you feel you've stepped in a skip.

PostPosted: Fri May 5th, 2017, 09:52 GMT 

Honestly, the fact that you would apparently laud the covers on the Basement Tapes (for example) and despise those on Triplicate, probably suggests more about you and your own prejudices than anything else. Despise both, but not one of them--at least be consistent.

PostPosted: Fri May 5th, 2017, 10:36 GMT 

Foggy wrote:
Honestly, the fact that you would apparently laud the covers on the Basement Tapes (for example) and despise those on Triplicate, probably suggests more about you and your own prejudices than anything else. Despise both, but not one of them--at least be consistent.

Eh? I'm not against Bob Dylan covering Frank Sinatra songs, it what the end result sounds like that matters.

PostPosted: Fri May 5th, 2017, 13:34 GMT 

My better half found it somewhat charming. She considered the Howlin' Wolf stuff a bit samey. For me it's somewhat comical and disconcerting although the Dylan I thought I "knew" is now a singer from the distant past, a couple decades ago.

PostPosted: Sat May 6th, 2017, 15:45 GMT 

Foggy wrote:

That's ridiculous. My mind is open with Dylan. If it sounds good to me, then I like it. If it sounds like garbage, then I don't. What I like or don't like is not determined by any logic other than that. It's certainly not determined by some contrived premise that since I like covers Dylan did decades ago, then I have to like all his covers, which means I have to like the Sinatra covers. That's a premise that relies on ones own prejudices.

PostPosted: Sat May 6th, 2017, 16:37 GMT 

Seeing that the subject has been brought up again I was wondering if seeing Dylan in concert over the last few weeks has kicked started people into buy the set. Lots of people I've met at the shows I've been to can't believe I've still not purchased it. One guy rates it higher than Shadows In The Night and says when I purchase it I've got to play it through three or four times to get the full effect. I have to say that his rendition of Stormy Weather has done little to tempt me thus far.

PostPosted: Sat May 6th, 2017, 17:13 GMT 

McG wrote:
a way that puts a skip in your step rather than making you feel you've stepped in a skip.

I love this

PostPosted: Sun May 7th, 2017, 10:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

dvdunplugged wrote:
One guy rates it higher than Shadows In The Night...

Ooh, now there's a convincing reason for me to run right out and get one!

PostPosted: Sun May 7th, 2017, 11:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

O.K. I almost broke down and bought Triplicate.
I had it in my hand, was walking around the store
and I saw, Old Crow Medicine Show, 50 Years of
Blonde on Blonde. Now, I love Old Crow & I love
Blonde on Blonde, so I ending up with that :D
I will get Triplicate someday, I guess.
Truth be told, Bob crooning another batch of
tunes from the 40's and back, I'll pass.
I know the tunes, I know how Bob will sing them,
What is the point ?

PostPosted: Sun May 7th, 2017, 11:29 GMT 

Winter Lude wrote:
Foggy wrote:

That's ridiculous. My mind is open with Dylan. If it sounds good to me, then I like it. If it sounds like garbage, then I don't. What I like or don't like is not determined by any logic other than that. It's certainly not determined by some contrived premise that since I like covers Dylan did decades ago, then I have to like all his covers, which means I have to like the Sinatra covers. That's a premise that relies on ones own prejudices.

Okay so I did read it correctly. Thought I might be missing something or reading it wrong maybe, but nope, it just made no sense whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sun May 7th, 2017, 12:39 GMT 

Foggy wrote:

I'm safe here. The Basement Tapes covers never impressed me. At all.

PostPosted: Sun May 7th, 2017, 15:38 GMT 

I bought Triplicate, I've given all the discs a fair few spins and today it went up on the shelf. It's ok; nothing more, nothing less. I'll leave a few tracks on the ipod along with Shadows..and Fallen Angels, but that's enough for me. Now, to resume the '66 box set where I left off; somewhere around Cardiff I believe...

PostPosted: Sun May 7th, 2017, 16:52 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
I bought Triplicate, I've given all the discs a fair few spins and today it went up on the shelf. It's ok; nothing more, nothing less. I'll leave a few tracks on the ipod along with Shadows..and Fallen Angels, but that's enough for me. Now, to resume the '66 box set where I left off; somewhere around Cardiff I believe...

I'm still enjoying the '66 box set and don't need the distraction of another crooning session!

PostPosted: Sun May 7th, 2017, 19:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

This is quite bizarre and confrontational, but when Dylan has released each of these standard albums I've been looking for Dylan albums to pair with them or to put them into context. it's been easy to find efforts from other artists, but with Shadows, I found mid eighties Dylan albums the only ones that had as much heart involved. And now that it's been three albums and this large amount of material and heart at the same time, both the basement tapes complete and cutting edge seem to pair well. One, in their efforts to make strange material seem accessible in the 'standard and viable category' as applied to the Basement tapes movement, and to cutting edge in terms of his desire to make his voice be the magic maker and central conduit to the enjoyment of the song. Up to witmark demos, I had thought of the bootleg series as a way to release sounds that were lacking in dylans contemporary efforts, and now, sometimes obviously more so than at others, specifically now, a way to provide context for those contemporary efforts and visa versa. So yes, I think there is a parallel between how he did the basement tapes and how he has approached the standards. And I also think there is a parallel between his focus on the voice for BoB era, as well as his late sixties/early seventies period in terms of voice usage that can be applied to today's era. The products are quite different, so I understand if people can't see the relationship. But it's much more difficult to find parallels in his catalogue to what he's done before, when looking at his TooM to Tempest period.

PostPosted: Thu May 11th, 2017, 06:01 GMT 

monklover wrote:
Foggy wrote:

I love many/most of them, hate some of them--chunks of the Basement Tapes are horrible to listen to. Can't stand the stuff.

With Triplicate I enjoy it all, for what it is.

But each to their own, and all that.

PostPosted: Thu May 11th, 2017, 07:30 GMT 

Foggy wrote:
monklover wrote:

I love many/most of them, hate some of them--chunks of the Basement Tapes are horrible to listen to. Can't stand the stuff.

With Triplicate I enjoy it all, for what it is.

But each to their own, and all that.

Staggering degree of mental being displayed here. I'd take the 2 disk Basement release they put out recently over Triplicate any day of the week, from before time began until it ends. Times infinity with a RTR hat on top.

PostPosted: Thu May 11th, 2017, 11:09 GMT 

How dare someone disagree with meeeeeee. They must be mental :D

PostPosted: Thu May 11th, 2017, 12:11 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:

Oh please. Hands up those who prefer Triplicate to the Basement Tapes.

There you go.

PostPosted: Thu May 11th, 2017, 12:18 GMT 

McG wrote:
escapeedrifter wrote:

Oh please. Hands up those who prefer Triplicate to the Basement Tapes.

There you go.

Of course not. But, is that the argument?

You'll have a ball game with this McG — I've been listening to Triplicate at night as I doze off to sleep. I'm loving it more and more. Will start a new disc each night and am getting more personal with the album as time goes by. I'm even beginning to think I prefer it over Shadows in the Night... Feel free to grill me, I'm happy to explain my standpoint later when I have more time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next