Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 00:17 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 3rd, 2017, 21:38 GMT 

DYLAN.
CARDIFF,WALES. 3-5-17. (SOME NOTES)

'To Ramona'..George Recile kicks the song into a mid tempo shuffle, as Dylan drawls the words across the waltzing beat.
'Highway 61 revisited' blows into a super charged inferno of a sound, Charlie Sexton playing immaculate solos across the soundscape.
'Duquesne whistle' raises the bar with great interplay between Dylan and his great band.
'Early Roman kings' continues on it's march to blow the roof off, a mighty heavy blues.

'Desolation row' continues to be a centrepiece song. Dylan yet again finding almost impossible phrasing within the lines.
At one point it looks as though he'll never fit it in, and by the skin of his teeth he makes the line.
He leans and turns to his right laughing full on to Donnie Heron who reciprocates. Magnificent stuff.
'Autumn leaves' is just breathtaking, tears in my eyes partially blocking my view.
At the end, they walk off in darkness.
A storming performance and concert.....

PostPosted: Thu May 4th, 2017, 00:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

Cuppa & Zagonga:
Thanks, we appreciate your eyewitness words.

PostPosted: Thu May 4th, 2017, 04:43 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
Have been to the venue twice, OK if you have a good seat.

man in the moon wrote:
Can't believe 3rd row. Bought ticket today cheep. Good times everyone!!

Now, that's what I call a good seat! Great when you get such a good seat on the day of the show!

PostPosted: Thu May 4th, 2017, 06:09 GMT 
Promethium Member

zagonga wrote:
DYLAN.
CARDIFF,WALES. 3-5-17. (SOME NOTES)

'To Ramona'..George Recile kicks the song into a mid tempo shuffle, as Dylan drawls the words across the waltzing beat.
'Highway 61 revisited' blows into a super charged inferno of a sound, Charlie Sexton playing immaculate solos across the soundscape.
'Duquesne whistle' raises the bar with great interplay between Dylan and his great band.
'Early Roman kings' continues on it's march to blow the roof off, a mighty heavy blues.

'Desolation row' continues to be a centrepiece song. Dylan yet again finding almost impossible phrasing within the lines.
At one point it looks as though he'll never fit it in, and by the skin of his teeth he makes the line.
He leans and turns to his right laughing full on to Donnie Heron who reciprocates. Magnificent stuff.
'Autumn leaves' is just breathtaking, tears in my eyes partially blocking my view.
At the end, they walk off in darkness.
A storming performance and concert.....

Nice review 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 4th, 2017, 09:27 GMT 

thanks, Zagonga, nice read :D

appreciate very much :D

PostPosted: Thu May 4th, 2017, 09:33 GMT 

My notes on Cardiff for anyone who is interested:

I had a good seat 14 rows back and thought it was excellent. Sound was better than at the Palladium on Sunday (which in itself was fine, after a slightly muddy start). Bob's voice was clear and powerful, again fuelled by a drum-propelled wall-of-sound that hasn't been fully captured by the audience recordings (most need some careful treble boost and a touch of brickwall-style limiting to better simulate the authentic live sound).

It was great to hear To Ramona again, and it was better for me this time. I could hear the lyrics much more clearly at Cardiff than in London, probably due to the sound mix being perfected more quicky.

The "not-specifically-Bob-fans" I went with both loved the show and commented on how well Bob was singing, especially on the more conventionally-sung songs like Stormy Weather. Desolation Row stood out again (though I think the version on Sunday had the edge), as did Blowin' In The Wind, which built to an exciting and colourful instrumental crescendo. Pay In Blood was good as well, sung with more assurance than on Sunday. Tangled Up In Blue was powerful and particularly well-received.

His piano playing remains idiosyncratic and not always in-key. When he plays more minimalistically his singing also tends to be better. To put it politely. And fortunately, that's what happened most of the time.

He's singing with a lot more control and clarity and variance than we had to get used to on the pre-2013 tours. Using a lot more colours from his palette, both in vocal performance and song choice. 2015 saw him bringing some of his more-accomplished studio voice to the stage. 2017 is more of the same, with a bit more edginess and attitude.

The static setlist does quickly make going to multiple shows a case of diminishing returns. I've seen two shows now, I really enjoyed them, and for me that is "mission accomplished". Any more would likely add little and could easily detract from the experience, beating a dead horse. That is not a criticism of the show; on the contrary, it was one of the most engaging I've witnessed him give. But it might be a reason to adjust your approach to the shows, or listening to recordings. Sometimes less is more, and that is fine. Is there anything wrong with the show, or are you just approaching it from the wrong angle?

For all the reservations I've read about Triplicate, the majority of the songs in the set are still the up-beat "Bob Dylan" numbers, and the scattering of "cover songs" are also being performed with some edge. They fit in effortlessly. And if you don't like them, then Pay In Blood or Tangled Up In Blue will be along 3 minutes later. So there's not much to complain about, really.

The show is a journey through Bob's musical landscape, a whole world of music to get lost in. There's a lot of sound packed in there, a lot of styles, a lot of life and a lot of colour. The 100 or so minutes pass extraordinarily quickly. The band are at the top of their game. People see the static setlist and focus just on what isn't there, not noticing just how much there is.

So it's fair to say that if you like some of Bob Dylan's music and his modern style(s) then I think you will enjoy going to one of these shows. He's performing well; he's inspired. He's not mucking about. It's not something you have to be an obsessive to "get" or enjoy.

And if you don't like his modern style, you probably won't enjoy it. Likewise, if you've spent the past 50 (or 500) forum posts expressing how much you dislike his modern music, then you probably won't enjoy it either. I wouldn't bother explaining this to anyone else!

PostPosted: Thu May 4th, 2017, 10:37 GMT 

thanks yellowgoat, too :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 4th, 2017, 11:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

thank you Laurette & Bill
thanks yellowgoat
& everyone

PostPosted: Fri May 5th, 2017, 22:28 GMT 

another captivating thin man,
and another
you DO know what it is
this time with but instead of and
https://youtu.be/gmsFnfNyC4A
@ 8:22
and i think he sings -
please remember you don't need to telephone
the same in antwerp too

PostPosted: Fri May 5th, 2017, 23:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Cuppa & Zagonga:
Thanks, we appreciate your eyewitness words.

Also thanking Goat for a great post.
And Step for the you tube!