Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 23rd, 2017, 15:07 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2017, 09:20 GMT 

So which was the best performance of the 3?

PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2017, 12:37 GMT 

Anyone got YouTube footage of Love Sick from the final night per chance?

PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2017, 12:54 GMT 

MrJudasPriest wrote:
I guess the only people that can answer that are the ones that went to all three shows. I only went to the Saturday show but was very favourably impressed. After the first few Paris songs I went fearing the worst and have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the whole show, apart from Stormy Weather! I will probably meet up with an Australian guy at Bournemouth on Thursday - he was def at all three so will ask for his unbiased opinion. I haven't really seen a bad review of any of the Palladium shows.

PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2017, 19:56 GMT 

Someone else I know who went to all three shows just e-mailed me. She says that both her and her husband enjoyed all three shows but she personally thought that the Sunday show was the best. One reason for that, she says, was because she had never seen him play To Ramona live.

PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2017, 20:19 GMT 

:D

PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2017, 21:34 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
MrJudasPriest wrote:
I guess the only people that can answer that are the ones that went to all three shows. I only went to the Saturday show but was very favourably impressed. After the first few Paris songs I went fearing the worst and have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the whole show, apart from Stormy Weather! I will probably meet up with an Australian guy at Bournemouth on Thursday - he was def at all three so will ask for his unbiased opinion. I haven't really seen a bad review of any of the Palladium shows.

How will his opinion be unbiased?

PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2017, 23:52 GMT 

He might just think for himself.

PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2017, 23:54 GMT 

Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
Bob and co leaving in London.

Seems George might have a cold as suspected. Tony & guys seems like such a class act to the fans!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC7hxD8 ... e=youtu.be

If I were Tony, I wouldn't want any photos of me wearing that suit either, but it might be way too late for that. :lol: And that one is not even the worst they've had the courage to wear on stage.

PostPosted: Wed May 3rd, 2017, 06:19 GMT 

McG wrote:

Huck27 wrote:

OK, how do you determine which show is best? Surely it is for someone that has been to all three to say, we just have to trust their opinion?

PostPosted: Wed May 3rd, 2017, 08:56 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
MrJudasPriest wrote:

McG wrote:

This seems a fairly simple one to unravel, doesn't it?

The guy might personally favour Sunday (as dvdunplugged's other friend did), for example, because he loves To Ramona... that would be his bias... not too difficult for him to then think, 'but overall, leaving my personal preferences aside, I reckon THIS show (Friday, Saturday or Sunday) was the best overall...'

Done.

PostPosted: Wed May 3rd, 2017, 08:57 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
McG wrote:

Huck27 wrote:

OK, how do you determine which show is best?

We don't! All sorts of things can affect our judgement of the show. Whether we had a good day, if the seats were good, subjective preferences in performances, whether someone was chattering next to us. As long as it was good then that is good enough!

I was at night 3 and it was really good. For those not attending a show, then the tape is worth a listen (turn it up loud on an accurate set of headphones and it sounds quite realistic, if just slightly lacking in impact). The sound mix took a couple of songs to settle down, to bring Bob's voice up-front. Started good and got better. Great classic-sounding Desolation Row, Ballad Of A Thin Man, Love Sick, Autumn Leaves.

Blowin' In The Wind was good: more fun to hear than to read on a setlist.

He's commited to performing all the songs with intensity and focus. He's clearly not bored with the format (yet), and the songs performed centre stage were excellent. He generally sang with more impact when not trying to play the piano at the same time. The piano playing was too over-bearing and busy on opener Things Have Changed, but quickly became more intergrated and restrained for the rest of the show.

The drums are becoming much more prominent, George pounding away at the drums, adding exclamation points between verses. Usually he's more economical and laid-back, whereas on this tour he has much more of more up-front role. The drums sound heavily compressed in the PA mix, coming through with real punch and authority. It's definitively a gutsier sound compared to 2015. There were more guitar instrumentals than on recent tours, too, but still more reserved and less frequent than back in 2006 (for instance).

The show is designed to build-up in intensity, rather than peaking early and then staying there. It does take you on a journey through his music, different soundscapes. This is also something that does not come across from reading the setlist, or from being too familiar with the format.

I'll say the quality of these shows might not be best judged after attending 15 of them, or after listening to all the recordings. In the same way that you probably wouldn't enjoy Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho that much after watching it 25 times in a row, despite it being quite thrilling on the first viewing.

The crowd were fairly reserved but generally polite and quiet during the songs, which is the main thing. There were people around me with their arms folded during the Triplicate/Angels songs, mainly the older gentlemen, perhaps unusually. These songs however were convincingly performed and well integrated in the setlist. It felt like a Bob Dylan show, not a tribute to Frank. Whose picture, incidentally, was prominently featured in the men's toilets!

PostPosted: Wed May 3rd, 2017, 09:18 GMT 

PS

Like a lot of you I suspect, I also went to the Halcyon Gallery during the day. Many of Bob's art works on display, and they are actually very good. Though I'm not sure where he finds the time to make them. Perhaps this explains the unchanging setlist. What with recording 50+ standards and doing dozens of paintings, welding things together, there can't have been a great deal of time left for much else. A very busy man at 75.

The Beaten Path exhibition catalogue was £55 and in my opinion worth the money. A very large and heavy book, with good quality reproductions of his recent works (much more accomplished than the older ones), documenting their progressions from pencil sketches (or traces) into full-blown paintings.

Several of the paintings feature the same image with different use of colour and shading, radically changing the mood of the piece. Reminiscent of his approach to live performance, and well worth a look.

PostPosted: Wed May 3rd, 2017, 10:33 GMT 

I went to all 3 and all were excellent- perfect sound, focussed and engaged performances etc. My personal order would. Sat, Sun, Fri. Audience was pretty flat on Fri- much more cheering etc the other nights.

PostPosted: Wed May 3rd, 2017, 11:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

Thanks to everyone chiming in. A great collage of thoughts from those concert-goers!

And Yellowgoat: I think your post really nails it. Open mindedness is key.

PostPosted: Wed May 3rd, 2017, 13:07 GMT 

Right on Yellowgoat. There are so many variables in judging this. Anyway one thing for sure he seems super committed on all three London concerts.

PostPosted: Wed May 3rd, 2017, 15:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

Itty bitty bunny teeth
https://www.flickr.com/photos/highw61/34267150682/in/photostream/lightbox/

PostPosted: Wed May 3rd, 2017, 15:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm really thankful for ERs London crowd. It seems people come in to the show from all the corners of perspectives and really do a great job of reflecting that experience back to us, which provides a rich picture, if not the complete picture. They only thing I never see in Europe is the vast indifference I often encounter in the American Midwest, unless it's a college town or Chicago of course.

Especially appreciative of yellowgoats razor sharp focus and wide net of absorbance that he was able to articulate so well.

Carry on wayward sons

PostPosted: Wed May 3rd, 2017, 16:19 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7