Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 17th, 2017, 17:04 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 18:48 GMT 

Attachment:
london palladium.jpg

A lovely theater, I saw 'Oliver' here with my wife nearly 20 years ago.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 18:49 GMT 

Have a great one. Im really looking foreward to hearing the recordings. Can these shows really be better than Frankfurt and Luxemborg?

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 18:52 GMT 

just listening to London I

phantastic :D

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 18:59 GMT 

Stu should just about be wandering on stage to do his acoustic entrée about now...enjoy everyone!

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 19:10 GMT 

enjoy enjoy

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 19:55 GMT 

zagonga wrote:
DYLAN.
THAT VOICE..

Listening to Dylan last night at the London Palladium a thought kept running through my mind.
How he uses his voice in so many unique ways.
Sharp staccato type bursts.
Slow drawn out syllables, stretching across words.
Reshaping lines into almost impossible formats, and just when it seems its too late to fit it in....he nails it every time.

The voice is perfect.
Ravaged through time into the sound of a growl reminiscent of an old carnival barker, it also has the ability to offer unique tenderness.
The sound of Duluth is there, the twang, the characteristics of old.
It pierced the air and stunned me in new ways all over again.
He has travelled many paths.
And so has this voice.

And Dylan knows its value.
No one can bend words like him.
On Desolation row I was smiling throughout, it was a masterclass of invention and phrasing.
He takes joy in using it, and his band respond to this 'on the spot' reinvention over and over again.
The voice soars and leaps through time.

Last night he finished a song, and stood staring into the upper circle, and turned....
Then just for a moment, he turned and stopped and looked again and held his gaze.
The crowd roared with approval.
He connected for that special moment.
One more time........

Thank you for this.

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 21:19 GMT 

London, England
London Palladium
April 30, 2017

1. Things Have Changed
2. To Ramona
3. Highway 61 Revisited
4. Beyond Here Lies Nothin'
5. I Could Have Told You
6. Pay In Blood
7. Melancholy Mood
8. Duquesne Whistle
9. Stormy Weather
10. Tangled Up In Blue
11. Early Roman Kings
12. Spirit On The Water
13. Love Sick
14. All Or Nothing At All
15. Desolation Row
16. Soon After Midnight
17. That Old Black Magic
18. Long And Wasted Years
19. Autumn Leaves

(encore)
20. Blowin' In The Wind
21. Ballad Of A Thin Man

Thanks to Hermann Rechberger for the email.

Set lists, reviews, and information on
upcoming concerts can be found on the Bob Links
Tour Infomation page located at:
http://www.boblinks.com

Bob Links Main Page:
http://www.boblinks.com

Last edited by Bill Pagel on Sun April 30th, 2017, 21:24 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 21:21 GMT 

thanks Bill and Hermann

Ramona :D

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 21:41 GMT 

Great show.

Was by far the most dylanesque Bob Dylan show I've seen - went from magical craft and vocal work one minute to lyric flubbing to great phrasing to missed lines and mumbling to Bob being Bob in almost every song. It felt the freshest of all the set shows I've seen because it didn't feel as tight as normal, and as such, all the arrangements felt exciting again. Anything could have happened, he could have given the strongest performance of his life or the wheels could have come off on every song. I've missed that excitement
Other shows have been better but this was fun.

He looked like he was having a lot of fun too with some of his comedy dancing and phrasing. Thought i was sick to death of hearing erk and desolation row but he was really playing with his phrasing so wonderfully on those two that they were among my unexpected highlights.

My last show was Stockholm on the 1st Of The month and tonight was way better. Nice to get about 5 different songs from that night but he was having more fun tonight and that's when he's at his best I think.

I've never heard his piano playing sound as good as it did on to Ramona (live or on record).

I could have told you, stormy weather, highway, desolation and Ramona were my highlights.

Could do without blowing, thin man and pay in blood.

Hope everyone else had as good a time as I did tonight

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 21:48 GMT 

:D

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 21:57 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
20yearsofschooling wrote:
What are my chances of getting a ticket now for the Sunday show at a semi-reasonable price? I know it's a long shot but I'm really starting to regret that I chose to skip this tour.

PM Blind Sammie.

Ah, just seen this but too late for me now, obviously. Thanks for the tip anyway. At least I got to stay home and watch the last episode of the cracking Line of Duty (I'm usually working on a Sunday night).

PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2017, 03:28 GMT 

Tambach wrote:
Ramona :D

PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2017, 07:44 GMT 

Bah, by replacing Don't Think Twice with To Ramona means I'm four points down at the Pool, the inclusion of I Could Have Told You in place of Why Try To Change Me Now offsets this by two points but it's still very inconsiderate of him. I wonder if sticking a few dollar bills in a brown paper envelope with my songpicks would work? I could leave it on his piano?

PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2017, 08:44 GMT 

It's a shame Scarlet Town has been placed aside (& Spirit on the Water has stayed), I was really liking the new treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZTbU12syMo

PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2017, 08:59 GMT 

mystic garden wrote:
It's a shame Scarlet Town has been placed aside (& Spirit on the Water has stayed), I was really liking the new treatment.

I quite agree but there seems to be no rhyme or reason about what stays and goes does there. We just have to accept what we're given, in it's defence I have to say that the two performances of Spirit On The Water that I have seen on this tour are way better than previous so although I really don't like the song it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb. It is strategically placed and is ideally situated in the set for those who wish to go to the bar for a refill or make a toilet break. It may be kept in just for that reason as some people may not mind this song being interrupted as people shuffle past to the end of the row.

PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2017, 12:28 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
mystic garden wrote:

I quite agree but there seems to be no rhyme or reason about what stays and goes does there. We just have to accept what we're given, in it's defence I have to say that the two performances of Spirit On The Water that I have seen on this tour are way better than previous so although I really don't like the song it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb. It is strategically placed and is ideally situated in the set for those who wish to go to the bar for a refill or make a toilet break. It may be kept in just for that reason as some people may not mind this song being interrupted as people shuffle past to the end of the row.

I'm pretty sure Dylan had the vision when he wrote it to.be able to utilize it as a toilet break song...!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2017, 15:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

dvdunplugged wrote:
mystic garden wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2017, 16:09 GMT 

zagonga wrote:
I'm pretty sure Dylan had the vision when he wrote it to.be able to utilize it as a toilet break song...!!! :lol:

I think it entirely plausible - the same reason The Rolling Stones continue to keep Miss You in their set. Last time I saw them, the opening chords of the song were like alarm bells ringing for the audience - everyone was getting up out of their seats and it wasn't for disco dancing!

PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2017, 19:57 GMT 

Bob and co leaving in London.

Seems George might have a cold as suspected. Tony & guys seems like such a class act to the fans!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC7hxD8 ... e=youtu.be

Heres a vid of the band entering the venue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT-bSbg ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2017, 20:42 GMT 

thanks Blind Boy

I'm so sick :x

wondering how Bob and the boys can stand the tour

I cannot :cry: #
hope to recover for trip starting on Saturday for Liverpool and Dublin :!: :?:

PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2017, 22:01 GMT 

I am not a fan of the piano centric THC from listening to 4/28...

PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2017, 23:07 GMT 

I

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2017, 02:56 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
I am not a fan of the piano centric THC from listening to 4/28...

I agree it's not my favourite either, as I listen now to the tape.

I gotta be honest, live, given it's the first song of the show, I'm just in awe of seeing BOB DYLAN for the first 5 minutes, so he could play it on the ukulele and I'd be OK! Both my seats on this tour were directly in front of the piano, so I had a great view of him bashing away :)

PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2017, 05:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

listening to all three London and ingate94 is right,
the last day of residencies usually do have
that great Toledo Zoo romance about them.

exiting van on busy street = sprezzatura

"Sprezzatura [sprettsaˈtuːra] is an Italian word originating from Baldassare Castiglione's "The Book of the Courtier," where it is defined by the author as "a certain nonchalance, so as to conceal all art and make whatever one does or says appear to be without effort and almost without any thought about it". It is the ability of the courtier to display "an easy facility in accomplishing difficult actions which hides the conscious effort that went into them". Sprezzatura has also been described "as a form of defensive irony: the ability to disguise what one really desires, feels, thinks, and means or intends behind a mask of apparent reticence and nonchalance".

The word has entered the English language; the Oxford English Dictionary defines it as "studied carelessness".

Castiglione wrote "The Book of the Courtier" as a portrayal of an idealized courtier—one who could successfully keep the support of his ruler. The ideal courtier was supposed to be skilled in arms and in athletic events but be equally skilled in music and dancing. However, the courtier who had sprezzatura managed to make these difficult tasks look easy – and, more to the point, not appear calculating, a not-to-be-discounted asset in a milieu commonly informed by ambition, intrigue, etc. Concerning sprezzatura, Castiglione said:

"I have found quite a universal rule which in this matter seems to me valid above all other, and in all human affairs whether in word or deed: and that is to avoid affectation in every way possible as though it were some rough and dangerous reef; and (to pronounce a new word perhaps) to practice in all things a certain sprezzatura [nonchalance], so as to conceal all art and make whatever is done or said appear to be without effort and almost without any thought about it."

Thus, sprezzatura was essential to becoming the ideal courtier."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprezzatura

PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2017, 06:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

mann just heard deso row sunday!, they've been working on that forever
i still say Portland Maine 2006 was a progenitor on this, :lol: what an achievement band and the singer

and did anyone catch the louisiana blues on erk saturday, brilliant

the singer

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next