Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 19th, 2017, 23:53 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat April 29th, 2017, 22:22 GMT 

sugartramp wrote:
Hawkmoon wrote:
This is a saturday night, ok, a lot of people have better to do than setlist watching. But isn't it ironic, that Dylan is playing excellent concerts - and even here not many people do really care? At least tonight :lol:

This guy is right. Dunno what most of you here expect or want. Tonight was excellent. Dylan was totally engaged, sang real well, sound and band superb, audience much better than Friday. What's not to love?

Great, that you enjoyed the concert. Thanx for your impressions, too - and good night to everybody! :D

PostPosted: Sat April 29th, 2017, 22:26 GMT 

LONDON PALLADIUM. 29-4-17 (SOME NOTES)

Early Roman Kings - Incredible interaction between George Recile & Tony Garnier, staring with intention into each others eyes as the thunderous heavy blues threatens to take the roof off as Dylan creates new shapes with the words.
Tangled up in blue - Dylan leaning onto the microphone, knees bent as he sings like a man possessed.
Charlie Sexton playing the moist beautiful and intricately delicate guitar patterns on All or nothing at all.
The set list shuffled around leaving a blazing That old black magic & Long and wasted years just prior to the last song of the main set.
The audience break restraints and file down the aisles, the main floor seating area turned into a standing block as Dylan and his band hit the two song encore.
Stunning.....

PostPosted: Sat April 29th, 2017, 22:39 GMT 

Just got back home and have to say that the show I just witnessed at the Palladium restored my faith in Dylan the performer. The show was excellent from start to finish, Dylan seemed to be really focused and the interplay between him and the band was sensational. Duquesne Whistle was exceptional tonight and I just wanted the instrumental break at the end to last forever. The only 'duffo' for me was Stormy Weather, of all the Great American Songbook numbers on the set list tonight this was the only one I really didn't enjoy. Melancholy Mood and That Old Black Magic were very ably performed and even though it was the same set I could listen to it all again...and I probably will at Bournemouth.

PostPosted: Sat April 29th, 2017, 22:42 GMT 

Performance was far superior to Copenhagen... probably as a result of the London crowd not being... stone cold Scandinavian businessmen I guess... Bobby clearly upping his game for the appreciative fans... you can always tell from his singing in song one and so it was great to hear him playing with the vocal melodies in THC after a massive welcome ... pleased I was there... side note: the guy still going on about The roundhouse a few posts back; get over it buddy and enjoy it for everything wonderful that it is.

Until the next tour.

Peace.

PostPosted: Sat April 29th, 2017, 22:44 GMT 

PS, the show was so good that at the end I thought 'blow the expense - I'll have to buy a poster'. I was a little disappointed when the guy on the merchandising told me that all the posters for the Palladium dates had sold out - but they had some Royal Albert Hall ones from 2015 if I was interested. Same price - £10.00. No thanks.

PostPosted: Sat April 29th, 2017, 22:51 GMT 

I dont think he played any harmonica tonight. Is that a new thing?

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 00:22 GMT 

Arkady wrote:
I dont think he played any harmonica tonight. Is that a new thing?

There have been recent sporadic reports lately.

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 00:55 GMT 

What are my chances of getting a ticket now for the Sunday show at a semi-reasonable price? I know it's a long shot but I'm really starting to regret that I chose to skip this tour.

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 01:00 GMT 

20yearsofschooling wrote:
What are my chances of getting a ticket now for the Sunday show at a semi-reasonable price? I know it's a long shot but I'm really starting to regret that I chose to skip this tour.

PM Blind Sammie.

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 04:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

friday https://mobile.twitter.com/AttaboyUK/st ... 69/photo/1

not carnaby street houndstooth? :lol: i can't decipher
said the cypher to herself as she got into bed one night

love yuz congrats!

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 07:12 GMT 

sugartramp wrote:
This guy is right. Dunno what most of you here expect or want. Tonight was excellent. Dylan was totally engaged, sang real well, sound and band superb, audience much better than Friday. What's not to love?

I have to agree, I thought it was a great show. Don't Think Twice was a much better version than the Paris show I saw and Highway 61, Tangled, Love Sick, all the Tempest songs and all the Sinatra stuff (with the exception of Stormy Weather) were excellent. All I can say is that I hope that anyone going to the Palladium for the first time tonight (Sunday) enjoys as much as I did.
Btw, regarding the ticket fiasco - you may remember I told you that they put me down to collect duplicates at the Box Office as they believed that mine (despatched February) had been lost in post. Then I got tickets that had been mailed to me on the 26th April. When I checked to find out whether those were still OK the girl said 'Oh, that's happened a lot -you'll be fine' - other people were telling me similar stories.

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 07:28 GMT 

I thought Stormy Weather sounded great. The one song I think he could've dropped was Early Roman Kings.

Dylan sounded brilliant. Was belting out the first few songs. Highway 61 Revisited, Ballad of a Thin Man and the Sinatra sings were favourites: the band nailed them. Don't Think Twice brought a tear to my eye.

As always, the people my dad and I met pre show made it a great day, too.

A couple of shout outs:

Thank you to Jackie from the BVI's. Hope you made it to Denmark Street ok!

A quick hello to the lady by the secret door. Hope you made it to the show and said 'Hi' to Bobby from us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 07:37 GMT 

Seems I was less over whelmed than a lot of people. Highway 61.. was an early highlight, but I thought the set peaked with Tangled Up In Blue and Love Sick. Partly this is because I don't rate the Tempest album and, Pay In Blood aside, he plays four of the weakest tracks; Duquesne Whistle, Soon After Midnight, Early Roman Kings and Long And Wasted Years. Substitute those for Tin Angel, Roll On John, and it's a different story. Given that on top of those songs you have a 'song' I absolutely detest (Spirit On The Water) and one of the weakest Sinatra tunes, That Ol' Black Magic; yes the band's playing is impressive but it's still a nothing of a song...and I was left uninspired.Then you have the songs from the sixties; Don't Think Twice...Blowin' and Thin Man which have been absolutely played to death and, unlike say Highway 61...or previously She Belongs To Me, they sound like it.
Overall the show was ok, not as impressive as the Albert Hall show I attended in 2015 and the performance didn't leave me wanting to see any more concerts this tour.

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 07:49 GMT 

Arrived home early hours this morning from London...shattered.
What a fantastic gig !! My son loved it as well. Agree with the posts above. Bob and his band on top form. Palladium is a great venue, acoustics fab.

Went to see Bob's Silkscreen Collection a couple of streets away at the Halcyon Gallery which was great.

Looking forward to Nottingham. :D

Those attending tonight at the Palladium are in for a great show.

moab

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 08:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

Thanks for the reports.
A good mix of opinions from the attendees.

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 08:15 GMT 

Bob is a fabulous crooner. That's why his concerts are so unique and magic.
Bob singing gives sense to everything with talent, sincerity and modernity.
Thanks, thanks and thanks again for all and for Triplicate Mr Dylan !

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 09:50 GMT 

DYLAN.
THAT VOICE..

Listening to Dylan last night at the London Palladium a thought kept running through my mind.
How he uses his voice in so many unique ways.
Sharp staccato type bursts.
Slow drawn out syllables, stretching across words.
Reshaping lines into almost impossible formats, and just when it seems its too late to fit it in....he nails it every time.

The voice is perfect.
Ravaged through time into the sound of a growl reminiscent of an old carnival barker, it also has the ability to offer unique tenderness.
The sound of Duluth is there, the twang, the characteristics of old.
It pierced the air and stunned me in new ways all over again.
He has travelled many paths.
And so has this voice.

And Dylan knows its value.
No one can bend words like him.
On Desolation row I was smiling throughout, it was a masterclass of invention and phrasing.
He takes joy in using it, and his band respond to this 'on the spot' reinvention over and over again.
The voice soars and leaps through time.

Last night he finished a song, and stood staring into the upper circle, and turned....
Then just for a moment, he turned and stopped and looked again and held his gaze.
The crowd roared with approval.
He connected for that special moment.
One more time........

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 10:13 GMT 

Zagonga :D

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 10:32 GMT 

zagonga wrote:
DYLAN.
THAT VOICE..

Listening to Dylan last night at the London Palladium a thought kept running through my mind.
Reshaping lines into almost impossible formats, and just when it seems its too late to fit it in....he nails it every time.

The voice is perfect.
Ravaged through time into the sound of a growl reminiscent of an old carnival barker, it also has the ability to offer unique tenderness.
And so has this voice.

On Desolation row I was smiling throughout, it was a masterclass of invention and phrasing.
He takes joy in using it, and his band respond to this 'on the spot' reinvention over and over again.

Last night he finished a song, and stood staring into the upper circle, and turned....
Then just for a moment, he turned and stopped and looked again and held his gaze.
One more time........

:D :D :D

A VOICE , A SOUL, A SPIRIT, A TIME, AN ARTIST, A MASTER.

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 10:50 GMT 

zagonga wrote:
DYLAN.
THAT VOICE..

The voice is perfect.
And so has this voice.

One more time........

What a great post !!
When Bob stared at the crowd that was a fantastic moment and everyone appreciated it.

moab

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 11:41 GMT 

Seeing him tonight...woohoo! Is he coming on stage at 2000?

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 14:43 GMT 

ecoutez wrote:
Seeing him tonight...woohoo! Is he coming on stage at 2000?

If the last two nights are anything to go by he will be on stage at precisely 8.00pm!

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 15:01 GMT 

he always takes it max 5 min late

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 15:13 GMT 

Thanks all. I assumed so given previous performances but always good to check! I expect Bob has a very set routine...

PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2017, 18:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hope everyone has a great time tonight!
Go Bob, truest troubadour
Shine on you crazy diamond

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next